C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alky Control pump rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 09:25 AM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by jimxms
I've never used Devilsown before, so It's good to know that they make some quality stuff

I'm trying to replicate the way that the flow sensor on the Alky pumps work, and as far as I can tell I think they have a Normally Closed switch that goes to Open at a certain pressure. This seems controls the Green/Red LED on the Alky system via the white wire on the Alky pump. When the wire is grounded the LED glow red, and then when there is no ground it turns to Green.

I could be way off base here, but I was going to try and use one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-8-Exter...72.m2749.l2649

along with one of these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AN-4-AN4-...k/170667247948

Then I can just bolt it to the outlet on the pump, and wire the switch up between the white wire from the Alky controller and ground?
I went back and read the alkycontrol instructions and I don’t think that is right. See below

“The first thing I always do is visually place where the location of the “turn-on” LED will be located. Typically this will be near your boost gauge or wideband gauge. The purpose of this LED is to indicate when the system has reached its turn-on threshold based on the signal from the MAP sensor(Red). And when the pump switch has moved indicating pressure (Green)(<50 PSI). It must be somewhere easily seen.
The red wire coming from the relay will go the larger red wire with spade terminal on the PAC. Simply cut the spade off and splice the wires together. Solder and heat shrink recommended.
Next is attach the orange wire from the turn-on led to the orange wire coming from the controller, brown wire to brown wire.
Attach the red and green wire from the MAP to the red and green wire on the PAC controller. The violet/gray wire leave alone until latter.”

im assuming that you are using the alkycontrol kit but just using the devils own pump? If that it the case you shouldn’t need to do anything but wire in the pump. If that is not the case let me know .
Old 10-07-2018, 09:29 AM
jimxms
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by chefcg1

I went back and read the alkycontrol instructions and I don’t think that is right. See below

“The first thing I always do is visually place where the location of the “turn-on” LED will be located. Typically this will be near your boost gauge or wideband gauge. The purpose of this LED is to indicate when the system has reached its turn-on threshold based on the signal from the MAP sensor(Red). And when the pump switch has moved indicating pressure (Green)(<50 PSI). It must be somewhere easily seen.
The red wire coming from the relay will go the larger red wire with spade terminal on the PAC. Simply cut the spade off and splice the wires together. Solder and heat shrink recommended.
Next is attach the orange wire from the turn-on led to the orange wire coming from the controller, brown wire to brown wire.
Attach the red and green wire from the MAP to the red and green wire on the PAC controller. The violet/gray wire leave alone until latter.”

im assuming that you are using the alkycontrol kit but just using the devils own pump? If that it the case you shouldn’t need to do anything but wire in the pump. If that is not the case let me know .
Yep.
The Alky pump has 3 wires: red, black and white. Red and black are +/-, but the white wire goes to a pressure sensor mounted inside the pump and then to a grounding point on the underside of the car. The Devilsown pump however just has red/black and no pressure sensor wire.

From what I could tell using the test button on the Alky kit, if the white wire is grounded the LED is Red, but if the white wire is not grounded, the LED is green. So based on this I am assuming that the pressure sensor in the Alky pump is simply a normally closed switch which gets forced open at a certain pressure, thus turning the LED from red to green?
The following users liked this post:
BIG B FAB (12-15-2022)
Old 10-07-2018, 10:10 AM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Yep.
The Alky pump has 3 wires: red, black and white. Red and black are +/-, but the white wire goes to a pressure sensor mounted inside the pump and then to a grounding point on the underside of the car. The Devilsown pump however just has red/black and no pressure sensor wire.

From what I could tell using the test button on the Alky kit, if the white wire is grounded the LED is Red, but if the white wire is not grounded, the LED is green. So based on this I am assuming that the pressure sensor in the Alky pump is simply a normally closed switch which gets forced open at a certain pressure, thus turning the LED from red to green?

okay I see what your saying, under that assumption I would say you are correct. Luckily the parts you are looking at are cheap so it is an inexpensive trial and error. You should be able to easily test on a bench using a brake Bleader pump. You may need a resistor in line on the flow sensor (haven’t read the specs on the one you showed in your link) as most can’t handle 12v.

Last edited by chefcg1; 10-07-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:08 PM
jimxms
Pro

okay I see what your saying, under that assumption I would say you are correct. Luckily the parts you are looking at are cheap so it is an inexpensive trial and error. You should be able to easily test on a bench using a brake Bleader pump. You may need a resistor in line on the flow sensor (haven’t read the specs on the one you showed in your link) as most can’t handle 12v.
Yeah I'll give it a try when it arrives and report my findings. If it works then it opens up a few different options when it comes to choosing a new meth pump. Not that there is anything wrong with the Alky ones at all, but if you are in a jam like I am then it might help.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:11 PM
smajicek
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 111 Posts

I am going to play it safe and order the alky pump as a spare in the next week or 2 so i do not end up in a jam
Old 10-07-2018, 03:12 PM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Yeah I'll give it a try when it arrives and report my findings. If it works then it opens up a few different options when it comes to choosing a new meth pump. Not that there is anything wrong with the Alky ones at all, but if you are in a jam like I am then it might help.
most certainly a huge benefit to the community.
i find it kinda of funny over the years of doing water/meth injection the progression of pumps. I look back to 1990 when I built my first system on my Supra and pretty much for the dyi guy besides aquamist you went with shurflo pumps. I think the highest psi at the time was 80psi. I built systems from parts I could buy from MasterCarr.com.always running for 20-25% water/meth injection needs based off fuel needs. I adjust nozzles as psi went up on available pumps, but never had issues with atomization even at 80psi. Now with pumps at 250psi + I’m not 100% convinced that there are really any true gains with the higher psi pumps. My eclipse was 680whp with 50/50 water meth ratio on a 150psi pump and diy kit with all parts sourced from mastercarr.com besides the pump which was a 150psi shurflow pump. my 335i was a proceed kit put out by vishnutunning which was plug and play with their piggyback Ecu tuning software which later modified because of crappy controllers from labbonte. I switched over to the aquamist he505 flow switch which acted as a fail safe with progressive tuning. I believe that was a 150psi shurflow pump as well and is still running today for 8 plus years....my son now has that car as his daily driver at 535rwhp and 585 rwhp on e60.i used Devilsown nozzles on the 335i And were fantastic! I think the durability of the braided lines on the alkycontrol system and the whole package is very good, but I’m sure a diy’er can build a set up equally as good for a pretty good savings. I was originally going the diy route, but got a great deal on a used alkycontrol system that made the point mute. Good Luck and I’m anxious on your results.

Last edited by chefcg1; 10-07-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:37 PM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Jimxms, out of. Curiosity wher are you located as a saw uk prices on your links? I’m assuming England? If so I grew up in Bristol..FYI.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:27 PM
jimxms
Pro

Jimxms, out of. Curiosity wher are you located as a saw uk prices on your links? I’m assuming England? If so I grew up in Bristol..FYI.
Yes mate I'm down South-(East) in Essex. The country where a tank of gas cost the same as a new Methanol pump...hahaha

Was your Supra a 4th gen? They are pretty much my most favourite car of all time. I never managed to own one myself as finding an unmolested TT is almost impossible. I did however manage to get my 2JZ fix with a Lexus IS300, which I swapped the GE for a GTE and ran nitrous and meth on. I only had a crappy AEM meth kit though which actually ended up nuking the motor
Old 10-08-2018, 09:59 AM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Yes mate I'm down South-(East) in Essex. The country where a tank of gas cost the same as a new Methanol pump...hahaha

Was your Supra a 4th gen? They are pretty much my most favourite car of all time. I never managed to own one myself as finding an unmolested TT is almost impossible. I did however manage to get my 2JZ fix with a Lexus IS300, which I swapped the GE for a GTE and ran nitrous and meth on. I only had a crappy AEM meth kit though which actually ended up nuking the motor
ha..I have a buddy in London who is always complaining about the cost of gas.

unfortunatly mine was a gen 3, still was a great car. I’m anxiously awaiting the new Supra as it may make its way into my garage for my girlfriend. If the hype is right it should be very easily tunable to be a 400hp car with nothing besides a tune.

Quick Reply: Alky Control pump rebuild