C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone on FIC injectors w/or w/out LPE pump with no cam swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 06:53 PM
MCK_Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 555ctsv
Well I installed a 2300, fic injectors, lpe hpfp, and dsx low side system and my z06 made 680rwhp on 93. Then they put in 5 gallons of e85 which brought it up to about e40 and apparently on the first pull the pressure dropped to 1500psi so they stopped. I'm just going to stick with 93 until I get a cam. Guess I'll go ahead and install the meth kit I bought as well

Hopefully cam, meth, and e85 will get me into the high 700's

For now seems like the injectors are fine just the high side isnt putting out enough volume without a cam.
With a cam and that blower you will hit low the 700whp range no problem on 93.
A cam and low side will let you run something around E30ish.
Meth, low side and a cam will allow for a higher mix of ethanol (50/60%) while not being too dependent on the meth.

With just bolt-on's and a cam I made 660whp while holding steady @ 3000psi to redline on 93 pump. This was without touching the low side, pump or injectors, on stock heads.
This was on the stock (unmodified) blower w/stock TB.

You have bigger injectors and DI pump but your not driving them harder than the stock cam allows for currently.
I think with a cam you will see these components come into play.

Last edited by MCK_Z06; 02-15-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:26 PM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

I have a 2.3, fuel lobe/lash cap, stock inj and pump, STOCK low side, alky dual nozzle and on 93 oct. I’m at 769/791.
I am at 6.2ms with the stock injectors, like you, I am going 2650, and I will go port injection at the same time. I’m logging 18.5-plus psi boost around 3500rpm and had to tighten the plugs to .022 to get rid of some studder it had in that area. Unfortunately my boost falls way off up top and I run timing like it’s N/A up there.

Last edited by JHEBERT; 02-17-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:22 PM
lt1z350
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I have been able to run e70 now with my dual 7gph nozzles which is not a lot of meth and my injector ms is hovering around 6ms with these injectors. That’s about like being on a alky meth single nozzle system. But I’m in the lid which has no waste as compared to spraying before the throttle body. I think when meth passes the rotors your losing a lot to what sticks along the long ride to the intake runner. I don’t know my exact whp as never dynoed it. But what my car is running it has to be in the 750-780whp range. I’m a firm believer that less is more on these and the 2300 blowers. They just get too hot when spun hard then fighting heat and timing and power then falls. At 13 psi I’m almost having zero heat rise in the 1/4 mile. I think a 2300 most likely 16 psi is going to be the sweet spot. The ethanol is going to keep cylinder temps down allowing for more spark and no kr but also keeping manifold temp in the 130-150 range is going to allow you to run so much more timing then if was in the 150-180 range where most blowers will run when spun too hard. I’d really like to run that kaytech belt driven pump and be at 3600 psi then will have tons of room on the fuel system. I just cannot see spending so much on a pump. If someone doesn’t come out with an affordable pump that actually works then port injection is going to be the only way to go. I just hate to mess with a cam as it’s only going to be for the lobe as of now. So many cars with cams don’t run much better then the stock one when on a 1.7 still.
Ctsv555 if you can I’d like to see the tune they are running. I would think there is more room. I have a few tricks to help with the soi and cam timing that seems to help my pressure some maybe they don’t do the changes and that will help out some with your drop. The meth will for sure but I think you have a little more room in the tune.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:18 AM
555ctsv
Burning Brakes

Received 785 Likes on 340 Posts

I have no doubt a bit more hp could be squeezed out of the tune and appreciate the offer. I'm just not looking to risk any reliability for another 20-30 hp while I save up for a cam swap that combined with e85 will get me way more hp than that

Does anyone make a cam with one specs but just a larger fuel lobe? Wouldn't a cam like that be way cheaper for the people just wanting more fuel with no need for dod delete and such?
Old 02-20-2019, 10:28 AM
JHEBERT
Drifting

I would never consider a cam swap without deleting DOD. The lifters are junk and more trouble than they are worth long term, and are actually an item that can fail in a catastrophic fashion for your engine. I do believe there is a market for larger fuel lobe cams that have stock duration and lobe separation values though.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:17 PM
lt1z350
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I have no doubt a bit more hp could be squeezed out of the tune and appreciate the offer. I'm just not looking to risk any reliability for another 20-30 hp while I save up for a cam swap that combined with e85 will get me way more hp than that

Does anyone make a cam with one specs but just a larger fuel lobe? Wouldn't a cam like that be way cheaper for the people just wanting more fuel with no need for dod delete and such?
its not just the hp but the way the tune is done there is ways to command more pressure by changing around injector timing some that gives a different window to spray in. So the injector just works better then with stock settings. we did it on the stock ones and I found a little more pressure on the high side as its changing the spray time so not losing pressure into an open exhaust valve so more power comes naturally I guess. Plus if these are commanded to run too rich its bad you can get fuel kr from it they run leaner then typical port setups and it is better for the engine in the long run. If you tuner is very good with di then probably ok but not many are and alot still tune these as port and its bad for it. Rich is not safe on these like it was on port its actually worse off then if was a little lean.

My thing with a cam swap is I cannot see pulling the heads to swap a cam and not do the heads too and lme seems to have the best cnc program for these and its not cheap. So the 1200 cam swap turns into 3500 bucks relaly fast if having a good shop do the heads that have a very proven program. Seen a lot or heads and cam cars that dont run as good as my stock setup so weary on what to change and who to let do the work.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:52 PM
Ghostnotes
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I just got off the phone with A&A in regards to a similar situation about a half hour ago. I was told there is a company out of either Arizona or NewMexico that has larger injectors. I'm wondering if they are the FIC injectors??? I'm running a YSI-V7 on stock fuel system now. I am out of injector as well and wanting to stay DI.

This also might be of interest......
With my stock bore/stroke and stock diameter lower pulley along with a 3.8 upper, it's sluggish down low.It still has more power but i'm really not getting into the sweet spot until about 4500rpm. So my question to him was if it was feasible to up my ratio to get it to spin faster earlier and use a turbo boost controller to regulate/cap my pressure. Apparently there is someone in Canada doing exactly this.Kind of a dual setup to where the boost controller and receport work together.

Why?
So i can get boost/power to come on earlier but not go over. I went with the V7 knowing eventually I will really start pushing it for big numbers, but in the meantime i can pick up some more low end. I could have went smaller but eventually i would have to try to sell it and go V7 anyway.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:00 PM
Ghostnotes
Racer

Originally Posted by lt1z350
its not just the hp but the way the tune is done there is ways to command more pressure by changing around injector timing some that gives a different window to spray in. So the injector just works better then with stock settings. we did it on the stock ones and I found a little more pressure on the high side as its changing the spray time so not losing pressure into an open exhaust valve so more power comes naturally I guess. Plus if these are commanded to run too rich its bad you can get fuel kr from it they run leaner then typical port setups and it is better for the engine in the long run. If you tuner is very good with di then probably ok but not many are and alot still tune these as port and its bad for it. Rich is not safe on these like it was on port its actually worse off then if was a little lean.

My thing with a cam swap is I cannot see pulling the heads to swap a cam and not do the heads too and lme seems to have the best cnc program for these and its not cheap. So the 1200 cam swap turns into 3500 bucks relaly fast if having a good shop do the heads that have a very proven program. Seen a lot or heads and cam cars that dont run as good as my stock setup so weary on what to change and who to let do the work.
Are you adjusting you injectors across the board or just in the WOT regions If you don't mind sharing where. Ive done mine according to my cam specs' but only in the higher regions but keeping my EOI at 180*.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:04 AM
555ctsv
Burning Brakes

the 1200 cam swap turns into 3500 bucks really fast if having a good shop do the heads that have a very proven program.
Dang let me know which shop is doing $1,200 cam swaps!! haha I'm assuming you're talking parts only.

It certainly would be a good time to slap on some heads but like you mentioned there's debate on which are the best and cost/benefit of heads on a FI car. I'll likely just reuse the stock heads

Last edited by 555ctsv; 02-21-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:27 PM
avtarv
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 68 Posts

I have a way to get a deal on some of interested. Sort of a group buy. Mine are bought but if I can get together a few others I can get them all cut in on a deal. I’ll have mine in by next weekend most likely and will try to go right on e85-90 as it comes out the pump that way often. Even with meth I was over 6.9 ms and fuel pressure falling to 800-1100 range on only e40. I could run around e30 on the 12 gph of methanol but then found my arm pump was failing. So now on the Alkycontrol pump I went from .84 to .78 on the wideband in my logs so most likely could have gone back on e50 with this new pump. I have found post boost spraying in the lid not only cools better but a lot more fueling on smaller nozzles. A buddy is on 30gph to run e50 and is pre throttle body. He just made 756/765 on that setup and we are very similar his car made 136 mph but et not great 10.50s as m6 car and won’t launch go figure.
So hoping to be at full e85 with these smaller nozzles. I’m going to try with out meth and just to give the data to others. But will run it as the 130s manifold temps is well worth the kit on the car.
Do you have any pics of how you were spraying in the lid?
Old 02-27-2019, 11:08 PM
CamOnlyJabroni
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

It doesn’t look like anyone is running a JMS voltage booster that’s still on the stock low side. I am putting one on and plan to bump the voltage up to 17-18. Be interesting to see how I end up.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:38 AM
avtarv
Racer

I just gave up on the idea of port injection meth so I sold my NX meth kit and picked up some FIC injectors and the LPE pump. I think I should be able to put a lash cap on the stock cam as well but I'll check and report back.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:32 PM
Ghostnotes
Racer

Originally Posted by avtarv
I just gave up on the idea of port injection meth so I sold my NX meth kit and picked up some FIC injectors and the LPE pump. I think I should be able to put a lash cap on the stock cam as well but I'll check and report back.
Please do because that is the route I'm thinking of taking.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:20 AM
555ctsv
Burning Brakes

I'd be interested in the lash cap as well. I have thr DSX low side pump, lpe high side pump, and the fic injectors; I'm just missing a method of overdriving that high side pump.

Im know several have had success with lash caps before, but technically all they do is push the range of motion up higher, but do not actually increase the motion range, so I'm not 100% understanding how they work

Last edited by 555ctsv; 03-05-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:51 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

I'd be interested in the lash cap as well. I have thr DSX low side pump, lpe high side pump, and the fic injectors; I'm just missing a method of overdriving that high side pump.

Im know several have had success with lash caps before, but technically all they do is push the range of motion up higher, but do not actually increase the motion range, so I'm not 100% understanding how they work
I didn’t think the LPE pump could be overdriven? I remember originally they said you couldn’t have a 32% cam lobe. Did that change? Or am I dreaming that.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:59 PM
555ctsv
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C7&7
I didn’t think the LPE pump could be overdriven? I remember originally they said you couldn’t have a 32% cam lobe. Did that change? Or am I dreaming that.
Apparently the early versions of the LPE hpfp could not be overdriven but the latest versions can. I wrote them to confirm and they said the one I ordered would work with a cam, just gotta recover financially from all the other mods I just bought first. With no Dallas wanna go fast event this month I've got time
Old 03-08-2019, 05:23 PM
avtarv
Racer

Originally Posted by C7&7
It can now, they say 7.85 fuel lobe will flow 40% more than the LT4 pump. The LT4 fuel lobe is 6mm. I'm hoping to have some data this weekend as to what lash cap we can run. I grabbed the .080 and the .060.

Last edited by avtarv; 03-12-2019 at 05:34 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone on FIC injectors w/or w/out LPE pump with no cam swap?

Old 03-10-2019, 10:05 AM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Aftermarket fuel lobes can not be made larger because measured for OD at the tips of the tri-lobe, it’s almost the same diameter of the cam bearing journals, so you would never get it to fit in the cam bearing bores. So, manufacturers use a .055 smaller base circle when grinding the fuel pump lobes. The .060 lash cap is used to take up the extra space created when the fuel pump lifter is on the base circle, and now it can stroke the pump an additional .055. Using a +32% fuel lobe cam and NO lash cap gets you 0% more fuel. In addition, I recently added a lash cap to a 416ci LT4 that was run for 20k Miles with a larger fuel lobe and no lash cap. The HPFP had taken a dump on him and I had to machine the rod wher the 8mm lashcap fits because it was mushroomed to the point the cap would not go on. I can not help but wonder if the pump bottoming out internally caused his failure.

John
Old 03-12-2019, 07:26 AM
555ctsv
Burning Brakes

Yeah I did the small lash cap on a previous C7 with a cam and LT4 pump because it bottoming out on the down stroke, I just never understood how early on people were adding a lash caps to cars with stock cams instead of doing a cam
Old 03-12-2019, 01:53 PM
AZGASSER
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 211 Posts

I just finished my build of a ported 2300, H/C, pulley change, Already had the lowside, meth and flex fuel, headers in place. Made 775/734 on 91/meth and 862/834 on E50/meth. That is on the 80mm upper pulley. When we had the 70mm upper, had 22# boost but some belt slipping issues. CPR did the work and it is solid. Here is the final dyno numbers.

Engine bay pics

2300 final numbers

Factory blower with pulley swaps and fueling mods

Quick Reply: Anyone on FIC injectors w/or w/out LPE pump with no cam swap?