Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous
Reload this Page >

Anyone on FIC injectors w/or w/out LPE pump with no cam swap?

Notices
C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone on FIC injectors w/or w/out LPE pump with no cam swap?

 
Old 01-17-2019, 10:31 AM
  #1  
lt1z350
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
lt1z350's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: Jax beach fl
Posts: 37
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Anyone on FIC injectors w/or w/out LPE pump with no cam swap?

Just looking for some data over here since camaro6 most guys donít do their own stuff. Iím in the 750-775whp range and wanting to go back on e85 over the 100 or ms109 I have been using. So was wondering if anyone is running the fic injectors a lpe big bore and no cam lobe. Also if on a stock pump. Wonder what gain Iím going to see going to the larger injector and how much room I will have as I do also have a dual nozzle meth setup post boost small nozzles just for cooling more right now then big 12gph each for fuel. I was out of fuel at e30 even on the larger nozzles and why went to the race fuel and away from the ethanol. Car is making 140 mph trap speeds on the stock blower 13 psi with a 95mm Tb on it so I did port the nose some to fit but my case is stock. I have a zl1 using an aux low side pump car has all the basic bolt ons done and I tune myself. Just got it into the 9s and before this blower comes off for a 2650 I would like to see 9.60s 145 mph range or thatís my goal. Iím full weight no drag tires on the car so have some room with skinnyís on it to help my goal. A lot more experience over here so came to you guys to see what my new ceiling might be on the injectors and if I should bother with a lpe pump and no cam lobe. 10 percent gain doesnít sound like much for 1600 bucks so maybe someone can confirm its worth it.
Thansk guys!
lt1z350 is offline  
Old 01-18-2019, 03:47 PM
  #2  
hogurt
CF Senior Member
 
hogurt's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Fairview Hts. IL
Posts: 1,806
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Default

I too was looking at the FIC injectors for my Camaro. I am running in the same power range as you, but I am running e85 with no meth...just pump e. I hit the bottleneck on the injectors when I upped boost to go over 800whp.

I ran out of injector so i am considering options including FIC, Alky injection, or race fuel. I do the work with the mechanics on my ride.

I was struggling on the idea of the FICís because I donít really know if the 30% claimed improvement is really going to be enough. On the other hand, I think the FIC would be the easy path to run into the 820range (through the a8) with no other changes.

Would love to see what you find for limits on the FIC.

Last edited by hogurt; 01-18-2019 at 03:47 PM.
hogurt is offline  
Old 01-18-2019, 05:03 PM
  #3  
lt1z350
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
lt1z350's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: Jax beach fl
Posts: 37
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I have a way to get a deal on some of interested. Sort of a group buy. Mine are bought but if I can get together a few others I can get them all cut in on a deal. Iíll have mine in by next weekend most likely and will try to go right on e85-90 as it comes out the pump that way often. Even with meth I was over 6.9 ms and fuel pressure falling to 800-1100 range on only e40. I could run around e30 on the 12 gph of methanol but then found my arm pump was failing. So now on the Alkycontrol pump I went from .84 to .78 on the wideband in my logs so most likely could have gone back on e50 with this new pump. I have found post boost spraying in the lid not only cools better but a lot more fueling on smaller nozzles. A buddy is on 30gph to run e50 and is pre throttle body. He just made 756/765 on that setup and we are very similar his car made 136 mph but et not great 10.50s as m6 car and wonít launch go figure.
So hoping to be at full e85 with these smaller nozzles. Iím going to try with out meth and just to give the data to others. But will run it as the 130s manifold temps is well worth the kit on the car.
lt1z350 is offline  
Old 01-18-2019, 05:13 PM
  #4  
MCK_Z06
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
MCK_Z06's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2000
Location: McKinney Texas
Posts: 280
Thanked 78 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by hogurt View Post
I too was looking at the FIC injectors for my Camaro. I am running in the same power range as you, but I am running e85 with no meth...just pump e. I hit the bottleneck on the injectors when I upped boost to go over 800whp.

I ran out of injector so i am considering options including FIC, Alky injection, or race fuel. I do the work with the mechanics on my ride.

I was struggling on the idea of the FIC’s because I don’t really know if the 30% claimed improvement is really going to be enough. On the other hand, I think the FIC would be the easy path to run into the 820range (through the a8) with no other changes.

Would love to see what you find for limits on the FIC.
There were a few big, reputable shops that made mention in some threads here at one point or another, saying their testing did not achieve the expected results with the bigger injectors and bored pump + cam lobe alone.
If you want to stay all DI without meth and make big power you will need something like the Katech external DI pump with the injectors.

At that price point you have the option of port injection as well.
A race fuel setup will do the job as well as running meth, etc. which is not as practical if you want to drive the car long distances.
With a stock low side pump you will be lucky to see mid 700whp (on a corvette at least.) and with an aux low side pump... I guess it depends on the pump itself.
There's still a direct injection engine under there that may need xx% extra fuel in the same small window it provides. That's why it's so hard to run high Ethanol on this platform without some help up top and on the low side.

Last edited by MCK_Z06; 01-18-2019 at 05:16 PM.
MCK_Z06 is offline  
Old 01-18-2019, 06:09 PM
  #5  
lt1z350
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
lt1z350's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: Jax beach fl
Posts: 37
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I was told the katech pump will run these at 4500psi and that is how they support the big hp numbers on di alone. I spoke with bob at fic and that seems to be the best way if wanting to stay di. Personally Iím just trying to get my setup back on full e85 with my methanol so can try to hit my goal of [email protected] before I swap to a 2650 and prefer it to be a GM since itís all port injection ready. Looks like 8500 is the possible price point on it then about 2k for the controller. There is a belt issue also to get around. Thinking the GM performance parts lt5 pulley setup could be the fix for that. Iíve been told it will not line up to the lt4 pulleys.
Anyway im going to a 2650 of some sort eventually and for me seems like port is going to be the best way when shooting over 1000whp. I just cannot see spending 4800 for that belt driven pump setup.
As long as this has been around Iím surprised like Iím sure many of you are too we donít have more options. I ran ms109 this last track day and it sucks to know giving up cooling and power over e85. Those that havenít seen it enginelabs.com has a great article on fueling a c7 with a Vortech on it making around 574whp on 93 and 635whp on meth and e40 mix of c85. Had they gone up to full e85 Iím sure another 10-15whp was on the table. The knock resistance alone is enough to want to run it over race fuel plus the 15 bucks a gallon for ms109 vrs 2.65 a gallon for e85.
But yes itís a challenge on this engine camaro or corvette we seem to fight the same issues (other then my trans rocks),lol. When comes to fueling and whatís available to us.
Terms of size 140 lbs per hour is stock 30 percent puts it at 182 lbs per hour or 23 g/second which is what bob said they flowed on the machine. So if had a lsa motor ls9 and was at stock 56 lbs per hour and went to 30 percent more thats like putting 750s in it or a good 100 more whp window. If it gave me up to 800whp window and can run e85 Iím fine with that.
I cannot justify 1500 bucks for 10 percent more high side pump on the stock cam. I donít think that 10 percent is going to do much at all unless it was able to run at a higher psi like 3500 psi vrs 2900-3000. If your at say 2600 I bet that pump wonít get you back to 2800 psi on the same combo if had to guess. Someone needs to make a booster high side pump thatís electric and can plumb it in line with the mechanical or set it up to run twin stockers some how. Iím not crazy about a belt driven one that can chuck a belt at 6500 rpm and leave you in a bad spot.
lt1z350 is offline  
Old 01-18-2019, 10:03 PM
  #6  
555ctsv
CF Senior Member
 
555ctsv's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 475
Thanked 56 Times in 44 Posts
Default

I'm installing the FIC's this weekend, and an LPE Big Bore as soon as it arrives (guessing another week or so). I already have the DSX low side pump. Hoping those 3 mods on a stock cam will let me run e70'ish with the 2300 blower. I'm sure ill end up doing a cam eventually but want to hold off on that as long as i can
555ctsv is offline  
Old 01-19-2019, 03:15 AM
  #7  
hogurt
CF Senior Member
 
hogurt's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Fairview Hts. IL
Posts: 1,806
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MCK_Z06 View Post
There were a few big, reputable shops that made mention in some threads here at one point or another, saying their testing did not achieve the expected results with the bigger injectors and bored pump + cam lobe alone.
If you want to stay all DI without meth and make big power you will need something like the Katech external DI pump with the injectors.

At that price point you have the option of port injection as well.
A race fuel setup will do the job as well as running meth, etc. which is not as practical if you want to drive the car long distances.
With a stock low side pump you will be lucky to see mid 700whp (on a corvette at least.) and with an aux low side pump... I guess it depends on the pump itself.
There's still a direct injection engine under there that may need xx% extra fuel in the same small window it provides. That's why it's so hard to run high Ethanol on this platform without some help up top and on the low side.
since you mentioned Camaro6, I thought you were talking Camaro. On my camaro I am running LT4 fuel system, cam and full pump e85 (no alky). It was 776whp last summer and when I went over 800, I ran out of injector. I may pull LT4 injectors on my camaro, for the Vette, and get FICís for the SS.

On my Vette, I will pick a low side aux system and add the LT4 hpfp and injectors. But my Vette will be decidedly less power than the Camaro because itís my daily driver. Gonna stop around 700-750bhp.

watching 555CTSV first.

Last edited by hogurt; 01-19-2019 at 03:16 AM.
hogurt is offline  
Old 01-19-2019, 11:30 AM
  #8  
555ctsv
CF Senior Member
 
555ctsv's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 475
Thanked 56 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Im installing the injectors right now, ill ask for an updated eta on the big bore Monday, hopefully it gets here soon

2016 Z06

AFE CAI
TSP Headers (no cats)
Magnuson 2300
70mm Upper Pulley / Stock Lower Pulley
103mm Snout and Throttle Body
DSX Low Side Pump (and Flex Kit)
LPE High Side Pump
FIC Injectors (30% flow increase over stock LT4)
Stock Camshaft

You guys think 730'ish?
555ctsv is offline  
Old 01-19-2019, 12:52 PM
  #9  
C7&7
CF Senior Member
 
C7&7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2010
Location: DFW TX
Posts: 5,152
Thanked 207 Times in 178 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 555ctsv View Post
Im installing the injectors right now, ill ask for an updated eta on the big bore Monday, hopefully it gets here soon

2016 Z06

AFE CAI
TSP Headers (no cats)
Magnuson 2300
70mm Upper Pulley / Stock Lower Pulley
103mm Snout and Throttle Body
DSX Low Side Pump (and Flex Kit)
LPE High Side Pump
FIC Injectors (30% flow increase over stock LT4)
Stock Camshaft

You guys think 730'ish?
Should make that power for sure. Is your goal to run full e Kenneth? I that will be a struggle.
C7&7 is online now  
Old 01-19-2019, 04:04 PM
  #10  
555ctsv
CF Senior Member
 
555ctsv's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 475
Thanked 56 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by C7&7 View Post


Should make that power for sure. Is your goal to run full e Kenneth? I that will be a struggle.
I'm fine even just running e50% or so. I have a dual nozzle alky kit still in the box ready to go but I'd like to see how it does without it first. Id still like to take it out to MSR a time or two and dont want meth sloshing around the engine bay all day at a road course

Last edited by 555ctsv; 01-19-2019 at 11:18 PM.
555ctsv is offline  
Old 01-19-2019, 08:29 PM
  #11  
hogurt
CF Senior Member
 
hogurt's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Fairview Hts. IL
Posts: 1,806
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 555ctsv View Post
I'm fine even just running e50% or so. I have a dual nozzle alky kit still in the box ready to go but I'd like to see how it does without it first. Id still like to take it out to MSR a time or two and dont want meth sloshing around the engine bay all day
Out of curiosity, why would you upgrade to FIC injectors without installing a cam? A cam would allow less boost, more e, more power and no need for alky.

Is is it getting into the engine that makes you say injectors are better first option? I am following this closely because I am leaning toward following your path...but just thinking through options.

Last edited by hogurt; 01-23-2019 at 10:33 PM.
hogurt is offline  
Old 01-19-2019, 11:01 PM
  #12  
555ctsv
CF Senior Member
 
555ctsv's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 475
Thanked 56 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by hogurt View Post


Out of curiosity, why would you upgrade to FIC injectors without installing a cam? A cam would allow less boat, more e, more power and no need for alky.

Is is it getting into the engine that makes you say injectors are better first option? I am following this closely because I am leaning toward following your path...but just thinking through options.


This is my 3rd C7 (first z06 though!). I did a cam on the first C7 with the A8 and the trans just kept messing up (even after a tcm update, new converter, and a complete trans replacement). I put that car back to stock and it was fine again. Traded it in on a manual trans car and did all the mods again. I don't know if it was the tune, transmission, or what but the cam in the A8 has me a little nervous.

Also i have only had this z06 for 2 months and feel like i'm already tackling a lot in a short time. Plus a cam swap in the Z06 isn't cheap! I made sure i was getting the 2nd gen of the LPE Big Bore pump that is compatible with a cam in case i do one later on.

I'm diy'ing all of this and it was just too tempting to swap all i could while the blower was off the car and i got a killer deal on the injectors. "Might as well while I'm in here" just kept playing through my mind

I'm hoping this "stage" of mods will keep my happy for a while. If i get bored i'll pay the shop the $5k or so to do the cam for me. I've installed cams myself before (not on a genv engine) and i rarely felt the risk of diy'ing it was worth the money saved lol.

After this is all done i will have diy'd all i can on this car and if i need that last bit of power i'll just turn it over to the shop for a camshaft and already have all the supporting mods in place

Last edited by 555ctsv; 01-19-2019 at 11:15 PM.
555ctsv is offline  
Old 01-19-2019, 11:50 PM
  #13  
hogurt
CF Senior Member
 
hogurt's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Fairview Hts. IL
Posts: 1,806
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 555ctsv View Post


This is my 3rd C7 (first z06 though!). I did a cam on the first C7 with the A8 and the trans just kept messing up (even after a tcm update, new converter, and a complete trans replacement). I put that car back to stock and it was fine again. Traded it in on a manual trans car and did all the mods again. I don't know if it was the tune, transmission, or what but the cam in the A8 has me a little nervous.

Also i have only had this z06 for 2 months and feel like i'm already tackling a lot in a short time. Plus a cam swap in the Z06 isn't cheap! I made sure i was getting the 2nd gen of the LPE Big Bore pump that is compatible with a cam in case i do one later on.

I'm diy'ing all of this and it was just too tempting to swap all i could while the blower was off the car and i got a killer deal on the injectors. "Might as well while I'm in here" just kept playing through my mind

I'm hoping this "stage" of mods will keep my happy for a while. If i get bored i'll pay the shop the $5k or so to do the cam for me. I've installed cams myself before (not on a genv engine) and i rarely felt the risk of diy'ing it was worth the money saved lol.

After this is all done i will have diy'd all i can on this car and if i need that last bit of power i'll just turn it over to the shop for a camshaft and already have all the supporting mods in place
Perfect. I am on my 5th Vette, but first C7. I have gone through a ton of the same things on my Camaro.

The Jannetty trans tuning on my Camaro is absolutely phenomenal so I love the way the A8 works now. However, the converter stutter is real and obnoxious. GM has completely jacked up the converter deal and their process to troubleshoot is painstaking and useless. If I experience the converter problem, I will just get an aftermarket converter custom build for my setup...and skip the entire GM troubleshooting effort.

i love your approach and look forward to learning from you. This weekend I installed my side skirts, chin splitter and spoiler. . .but when it comes to the performance stuff, I work with a real mechanic. Itís fun, but not something I could ever do by myself.

Last edited by hogurt; 01-20-2019 at 12:04 AM.
hogurt is offline  
Old 01-23-2019, 08:01 PM
  #14  
lt1z350
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
lt1z350's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: Jax beach fl
Posts: 37
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by hogurt View Post


Perfect. I am on my 5th Vette, but first C7. I have gone through a ton of the same things on my Camaro.

The Jannetty trans tuning on my Camaro is absolutely phenomenal so I love the way the A8 works now. However, the converter stutter is real and obnoxious. GM has completely jacked up the converter deal and their process to troubleshoot is painstaking and useless. If I experience the converter problem, I will just get an aftermarket converter custom build for my setup...and skip the entire GM troubleshooting effort.

i love your approach and look forward to learning from you. This weekend I installed my side skirts, chin splitter and spoiler. . .but when it comes to the performance stuff, I work with a real mechanic. Itís fun, but not something I could ever do by myself.
I found a way to fix the converter issues in the tune on the 6,speeds but not sure if 8 speed has the table or not. If want to post up the tune Iíll check it and see if itís in there then tell you how to adjust it. I believe even if not there possibly can adjust the converter adapts to make it work. I did it on my 10 speed and hits lockup like an old 4l60e that had the pwm valve locked up. On off now pulse and my 6 speed is the same way now.
I habe mu injectors sitting here but debating porting my back of the blower case when itís off again for the swap. Thinking about messing with the rotor exit area opening it up like a lot of porters did on the old Eaton cobra stuff to make quite a bit more power. So please soon as you get the injections on report findings. Like you guys yea the cam is the sensible way to do this but I just broke 9.93 with the stock stuff so now sort of a goal to make it to 9.60s on a stock 1.7 cam heads before I do a 2650 on it just to say I did it. I believe Iím the first zl1 in the 9s on stock stuff and beating out a lot of heads and cam packages. Car works so well I hate to touch it yet other then more fuel so can get back on e.
When you have a cam itís very important to tune the virtual torque tables on the engine side to make the trans shift right. Even on e40 I had to redo all the e85 flex virtual towhee tables just to make my car shift correctly on ethanol as it did on 93. When it swapped tables for the e my trans didnít shift all that great. So I quickly self taught myself to get it right. Iím pretty good st it now and had the trans back to shifting even faster then stock on only ecm changes nothing is done in my tcm other then raising my torque tables so it would give me wot on launch went from 1.60s to 1.40 with that change. But I get all my shifting better with ecm changes. Most tuners have no idea this is possible. I build trans for a living so know better then most what I kind of in puts out puts so on are all going on to make the trans work well. So sure with a cam swap a little work on the ecm it would be back to shifting great. Had to do it on a nitrous car recently. No pressure changes and went from slipping and holding shifts to ripping them off again.
Anyway get me the tune even if stock one and will see what I can do for the converter issues. And cannot wait to hear the update with the injectors only
lt1z350 is offline  
Old 01-23-2019, 10:40 PM
  #15  
hogurt
CF Senior Member
 
hogurt's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Fairview Hts. IL
Posts: 1,806
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lt1z350 View Post

I found a way to fix the converter issues in the tune on the 6,speeds but not sure if 8 speed has the table or not. If want to post up the tune Iíll check it and see if itís in there then tell you how to adjust it. I believe even if not there possibly can adjust the converter adapts to make it work. I did it on my 10 speed and hits lockup like an old 4l60e that had the pwm valve locked up. On off now pulse and my 6 speed is the same way now.
I habe mu injectors sitting here but debating porting my back of the blower case when itís off again for the swap. Thinking about messing with the rotor exit area opening it up like a lot of porters did on the old Eaton cobra stuff to make quite a bit more power. So please soon as you get the injections on report findings. Like you guys yea the cam is the sensible way to do this but I just broke 9.93 with the stock stuff so now sort of a goal to make it to 9.60s on a stock 1.7 cam heads before I do a 2650 on it just to say I did it. I believe Iím the first zl1 in the 9s on stock stuff and beating out a lot of heads and cam packages. Car works so well I hate to touch it yet other then more fuel so can get back on e.
When you have a cam itís very important to tune the virtual torque tables on the engine side to make the trans shift right. Even on e40 I had to redo all the e85 flex virtual towhee tables just to make my car shift correctly on ethanol as it did on 93. When it swapped tables for the e my trans didnít shift all that great. So I quickly self taught myself to get it right. Iím pretty good st it now and had the trans back to shifting even faster then stock on only ecm changes nothing is done in my tcm other then raising my torque tables so it would give me wot on launch went from 1.60s to 1.40 with that change. But I get all my shifting better with ecm changes. Most tuners have no idea this is possible. I build trans for a living so know better then most what I kind of in puts out puts so on are all going on to make the trans work well. So sure with a cam swap a little work on the ecm it would be back to shifting great. Had to do it on a nitrous car recently. No pressure changes and went from slipping and holding shifts to ripping them off again.
Anyway get me the tune even if stock one and will see what I can do for the converter issues. And cannot wait to hear the update with the injectors only
The changes required have been published on the Camaro6 forum for a while. The changes have been made..,however, some have reported that after the fix the problem can still happen and when it does, there is only one fix. New converter.

Which table are you looking for? I can go pull that table to confirm.
hogurt is offline  
Old 01-24-2019, 12:30 AM
  #16  
JUICED1
Premium Supporting Vendor
 
JUICED1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2012
Location: ST. CHARLES IL
Posts: 10,997
Thanked 33 Times in 33 Posts
Default

If you guys are looking for a solid deal on the FIC injectors stop by our site. We should have the lowest price around and extra discounts for forum members with code VETTE
JUICED1 is offline  
Old 01-26-2019, 07:14 PM
  #17  
lt1z350
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
lt1z350's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: Jax beach fl
Posts: 37
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by hogurt View Post

The changes required have been published on the Camaro6 forum for a while. The changes have been made..,however, some have reported that after the fix the problem can still happen and when it does, there is only one fix. New converter.

Which table are you looking for? I can go pull that table to confirm.
under torque converter settings Regulator gain you want to lower that. If stock is 1.5 put it around .800
Then regulator off set will be kpa just double it to start. Mine was 125 stock I have it at 275 now or 40 psi and it makes lock up hit good with zero slip at all. I went to a zl1 dual disk lock up and it was surging the clutch bad was pulsing lock up never would lock up. I have used this to fix bad shudders on the 6l45e on the 2.0t ats with good results. The shudder is from not enough pressure holding the clutch on. I build them for a living so know how a trans works well and whats inside on the converters. they all have a similar woven carbon clutch. there is nothing mechanical wrong with them its the way it is controlled thats the whole issue. If you put enough pressure behind it I dont care if the clutch is gone its going to lock up solid as I have cut them open and seen the clutch gone but not chattering or causing driving concerns due to it being an older vehicle with lots of pressure holding it on and normally failed due to water making the glue let go on the clutch.
As for the injectors I can get a very good deal on them when do multiple sets. I just have to setup a group purchase to get the better deal through someone.

Last edited by lt1z350; 01-26-2019 at 07:28 PM.
lt1z350 is offline  
Old 02-10-2019, 10:58 PM
  #18  
hogurt
CF Senior Member
 
hogurt's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Fairview Hts. IL
Posts: 1,806
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MCK_Z06 View Post
There were a few big, reputable shops that made mention in some threads here at one point or another, saying their testing did not achieve the expected results with the bigger injectors and bored pump + cam lobe alone.
If you want to stay all DI without meth and make big power you will need something like the Katech external DI pump with the injectors.

At that price point you have the option of port injection as well.
A race fuel setup will do the job as well as running meth, etc. which is not as practical if you want to drive the car long distances.
With a stock low side pump you will be lucky to see mid 700whp (on a corvette at least.) and with an aux low side pump... I guess it depends on the pump itself.
There's still a direct injection engine under there that may need xx% extra fuel in the same small window it provides. That's why it's so hard to run high Ethanol on this platform without some help up top and on the low side.
I agree. I think the in-tank pump is the biggest bottleneck on the Vette...once that problem is fixed, I would expect it to be just like my Camaro. I know that on the Camaro, the aux low side pump with the LT4 injectors and the LT4 HPFP is good until 900whp running 93+Alky injection.

On my setup, I am likely going to simply have a track tune vs street tune. The track tune will run race fuel into the 830-850whp range. I will keep the straight pump e85 as my street tune and am not settled on the best street setup, but it will be between 715 (8psi), 745 (10psi) or 775whp (12 psi). Truthfully, the Camaro is running so great there is no reason to mess with it, I just need to get some more seat time and most likely my tire selection will dictate where I stop on boost for the streets.

As for my Vette, I have a good friend that is pulling his LT4 blower off his 2019 Camaro, so I am buying it from him. He should have it off his car in a couple weeks and then I need to see what my schedule looks like to get it installed on the Vette. My intent is to simply run around 600whp on the Vette since it's really my daily driver. Of course the way I am with cars, it seems that I always come up with the "next thing".
hogurt is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 09:39 PM
  #19  
lt1z350
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
lt1z350's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2009
Location: Jax beach fl
Posts: 37
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

so when at the cadillac attack this week end I had a few issues with my meth a nozzle had clogged and I was on e60 no cam lobe no bigger high side but have installed my fic injectors in it. So at only a single nozzle of 7 gpm I did drop pressure down to around 900 psi and still managed a [email protected] 136 and had to add around 160-180 lbs to the car from my last track day as was running in a class mandating at least 4150 lbs. I was at 4180 when ran the 9.97 on low fuel pressure that pass and my previous best of 9.97 was around 4000 lbs both days similar da around 800 and both passes 1.40 60 foot.
So I pulled the nozzles and took out the screens and just re ran the car. It had got a little hot in the lanes and manifold temp was highest of any of my logs on these sub 10 high 9 second passes. I was in the 145-150 range vrs 130 on other passes this fast. So now with dual do7 so a total of 14 gph ( this is like a single nozzle alky meth system) I ran a [email protected] and was way rich this pass on the e60. My pulse width was around 4.9 on the pass and high side was up in the 2700 psi range the whole pass. I was at .82 to .80 so very rich as I like to see .84 to .86 and seems to make the most mph in that range. I was at .86 when the car ran 140 mph a few weeks ago at 10 flat. So with the 144 gph worth of meth it looks like if I get my fueling around .86 I will have the room to run full e85 on these injectors. If I go to the larger 30 gph like alky meth kits use I will have more then enough to run that ignite 114 which I think is e98 or around that. So with no pump no cam lobe and injectors and this smaller meth setup I have the room to run on full e85.
I did get a chance to see a log from a v3 ctsv that had a cam lobe stock pump and stock injectors. He said it was on a 38 percent lobe and he was on that ignite 114 fuel. When I looked to see how good his fuel pressure was I was shocked to see it at 3800 psi. So his tuner was commanding 4000 psi in the tune and the lobe alone was able to keep it up at 3800 psi and a lower injector ms. Now what I didnt like was the commanded 13.5 afr on the tune and his wideband was 13.5 to 13 the whole [email protected] pass. this is a heads and cam car with a ported blower and other supporting mods on it but no meth. I told him to quit running it as was way too lean and asked him who was tuning it and he said Justin White did his tune. No wonder some of those cars he has tuned have blown head gaskets. I have heard on the dyno that 12.8-13 can make the most hp but gives up torque and isnt safe at all. Why I like to be around .84-.86 range at peak hp. I have played with more fuel at peak torque and seems to help my 1/8th mile mph some. My best this weekend was a 1.38 60 6.3 109 1/8th and 9.95 138 1/4 on this e60 vrs 1.40 60 6.3 110 9.97 138 on ms 109 and was 180 lbs lighter. So this e60 is making more power even when too rich. I feel I gave up a tenth to being .82 and not .85 and 2 tenths to the almost 200 lbs. So think in the same conditions on this fuel the car has 9.60s @ 142 in it if same conditions and same 60 foot. going to get it on full e85 get some good logs and get back to a test and tune before it starts to get hot and 2000 foot da days here. Will report back with more info when get it. Also if any of you guys want my track log I can email it to you.
lt1z350 is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 06:19 PM
  #20  
555ctsv
CF Senior Member
 
555ctsv's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 475
Thanked 56 Times in 44 Posts
Default

Well I installed a 2300, fic injectors, lpe hpfp, and dsx low side system and my z06 made 680rwhp on 93. Then they put in 5 gallons of e85 which brought it up to about e40 and apparently on the first pull the pressure dropped to 1500psi so they stopped. I'm just going to stick with 93 until I get a cam. Guess I'll go ahead and install the meth kit I bought as well

Hopefully cam, meth, and e85 will get me into the high 700's

For now seems like the injectors are fine just the high side isnt putting out enough volume without a cam.
555ctsv is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone on FIC injectors w/or w/out LPE pump with no cam swap?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: