Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous
Reload this Page >

LT4 blower on Stingray - sound off on boost levels

C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT4 blower on Stingray - sound off on boost levels

 
Old 02-23-2019, 09:05 PM
  #1  
hogurt
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hogurt's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Fairview Hts. IL
Posts: 1,810
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Default LT4 blower on Stingray - sound off on boost levels

There are a few threads about the LT4 blower on the LT1 cars, but I am curious where everyone has ended up in terms of boost.

If if you have the LT4 blower on your LT1, which mods have you done and how much boost/power did you end up running?

My LT4 blower is on its way to Jokerz to be ported. My intent is to start with the stock Z06 pulley and to have the ATI lower pulley (stock size). As I want to up boost I will leave the upper pulley and simply change the lower pulley.

I know on an unported LT4 blower I saw @onebad1lE had 740whp on the 15% overdrive pulley.

What did you do? Anyone running on the stock LT1 fuel system?
hogurt is offline  
Old 02-24-2019, 10:07 AM
  #2  
TorchZ51
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Posts: 199
Thanks: 0
Thanked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Default

The stock LT1 fuel system wonít support anywhere close to 740rwhp and neither will the pistons. 10 psi with LT4 fuel parts is about max in my opinion. Mine made 613 rwhp with this combo.

Last edited by TorchZ51; 02-24-2019 at 10:08 AM.
TorchZ51 is offline  
Old 02-24-2019, 10:28 AM
  #3  
hogurt
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hogurt's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Fairview Hts. IL
Posts: 1,810
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TorchZ51 View Post
The stock LT1 fuel system won’t support anywhere close to 740rwhp and neither will the pistons. 10 psi with LT4 fuel parts is about max in my opinion. Mine made 613 rwhp with this combo.
Yes. I know. The stock LT1 fuel system will be dropping off by 575whp. I am personally trying to figure out if I should stick with the stock LT4 pulley, or go with a bigger pulley. But I am curious what others have done.

So you were running the stock LT4 pulley and were at 10psi? Did you have any other mods to go with the blower? Was your blower ported?


Thank you for the info.

Last edited by hogurt; 02-24-2019 at 10:42 AM.
hogurt is offline  
Old 02-24-2019, 11:53 AM
  #4  
TorchZ51
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Posts: 199
Thanks: 0
Thanked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by hogurt View Post
Yes. I know. The stock LT1 fuel system will be dropping off by 575whp. I am personally trying to figure out if I should stick with the stock LT4 pulley, or go with a bigger pulley. But I am curious what others have done.

So you were running the stock LT4 pulley and were at 10psi? Did you have any other mods to go with the blower? Was your blower ported?


Thank you for the info.
Stock size pulley on the SC. LT4 pump and injectors. Wet sump car so needed an ATI balancer, billet spacer, and 5% OD lower drive pulley to get 10psi.
TorchZ51 is offline  
Old 02-24-2019, 07:07 PM
  #5  
hogurt
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hogurt's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Fairview Hts. IL
Posts: 1,810
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TorchZ51 View Post
Stock size pulley on the SC. LT4 pump and injectors. Wet sump car so needed an ATI balancer, billet spacer, and 5% OD lower drive pulley to get 10psi.
Awesome. So most likely the stock pulley and overdrive pulley in stock size will probably make about 8psi and 550whp which will be just fine on the LT1 fuel system.

Where did you get the ATI setup? Itís a hub, balancer and lower blower pulley all bolted together, right?
hogurt is offline  
Old 02-24-2019, 07:13 PM
  #6  
TorchZ51
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Posts: 199
Thanks: 0
Thanked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by hogurt View Post
Awesome. So most likely the stock pulley and overdrive pulley in stock size will probably make about 8psi and 550whp which will be just fine on the LT1 fuel system.

Where did you get the ATI setup? Itís a hub, balancer and lower blower pulley all bolted together, right?
Yes on the balancer. It was a complete kit from West Michigan Auto Tech.

https://west-michigan-automotive-tec...myshopify.com/
TorchZ51 is offline  
Old 02-26-2019, 12:45 PM
  #7  
us3rname
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I got 630rwhp ish on 5% od (around 9.5psi) and lt4 pump/injectors. Bought everything from west Michigan Automotive which I highly recommend.

Last edited by us3rname; 02-26-2019 at 08:42 PM.
us3rname is offline  
Old 02-26-2019, 08:32 PM
  #8  
hogurt
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hogurt's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Fairview Hts. IL
Posts: 1,810
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by us3rname View Post
I got 730rwhp ish on 5% od (around 9.5psi) and lt4 pump/injectors. Bought everything from west Michigan Automotive which I highly recommend.
Did you change something after the post you made showing 620/630whp? Are you saying you had 730bhp (engine HP)? 9.5psi isn't going to make over 700whp on a stock LT1 without a bunch of other things...figure that 7-8psi is about 550-575whp. You will pick up approximately 30-40whp for every pound of boost..
hogurt is offline  
Old 02-26-2019, 08:41 PM
  #9  
us3rname
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by hogurt View Post
Did you change something after the post you made showing 620/630whp? Are you saying you had 730bhp (engine HP)? 9.5psi isn't going to make over 700whp on a stock LT1 without a bunch of other things...figure that 7-8psi is about 550-575whp. You will pick up approximately 30-40whp for every pound of boost..
Whoops that was a typo.
us3rname is offline  
Old 02-27-2019, 12:16 AM
  #10  
hogurt
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hogurt's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Fairview Hts. IL
Posts: 1,810
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by us3rname View Post
Whoops that was a typo.
Damn. I was hoping I missed something. Truthfully, now that I am into my Vette build, It looks to be exactly like my Camaro build. I am seeing the same path...but since I went with the LT4 blower I am going to be a bit more scaled back.

I am am pretty much settled into my path now. I am going back to Jannetty Racing and going through the similar path with the LT4 ported by Jokerz as the main difference.

Otherwise, my build will be as follows:

stage 1:
1. ported blower with
2. stock Z pulley and
3. replace lower with the ATI setup for wet sump...stock size.
4. Front crank seal
5. Catch can and vent
Expected outcome: 550-570whp @8psi

stage 2:
1. Lt4 fuel injectors
2. Lt4 hpfp
3. Voltage booster or DSX aux
Expected outcome: foundational, no power change

Stage 3:
1. Forged rods/pistons
2. JRE smooth idle cam (I have rough idle in my Camaro)
3. E85
4. Swap to 15% overdrive pulley
5. Lt headers
expected outcome: 720whp on about 8-9 psi completely safe and fun...

I really wish I could skip the LTís because thatís always the point where my car gets too loud. . .
hogurt is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 03:34 PM
  #11  
Bruce_K
CF Senior Member
 
Bruce_K's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2016
Posts: 158
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Im at 12psi at about 670 on 30% E. and i have a 2.4 upper. LT4 fueling and a low side pump.
Bruce_K is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 05:28 PM
  #12  
hogurt
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hogurt's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Fairview Hts. IL
Posts: 1,810
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bruce_K View Post
Im at 12psi at about 670 on 30% E. and i have a 2.4 upper. LT4 fueling and a low side pump.
That makes sense. I think I might even go with forged rods/pistons and fuel...then just swap to the 15%overdrive pulley so I can run in the 700whp range with the stock cam, manifolds, in-tank pump with e30-40. That might be the best bet for my daily driver to keep the noise level reduced.

Last edited by hogurt; 02-28-2019 at 05:32 PM.
hogurt is offline  
Old 02-28-2019, 05:29 PM
  #13  
Bruce_K
CF Senior Member
 
Bruce_K's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2016
Posts: 158
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Default

I'm going Cam and pistons and rods, next. I know I'm playing with fire right now.
Bruce_K is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 09:18 AM
  #14  
MrGary2011
CF Senior Member
 
MrGary2011's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2011
Location: Allyn WA
Posts: 859
Thanked 52 Times in 43 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bruce_K View Post
I'm going Cam and pistons and rods, next. I know I'm playing with fire right now.
I had a standard blower, x pipe, LT4 pump/injectors standard pullies and was at 586rwp. I would suggest getting the pump and injectors which will save from top end issues.
Just installed a ported blower with 103mm bore, plan to get the LT5 98mm throttle body and retune - should get up around 620 which will be my stopping point (for now). I don't want engine issues and since I really don't track, just punch it now and then am happy, oh also got the expansion tank and catch can installs. SAFETY FIRST! You observant ones will notice the belt not attached, this pic was taken while putting it all together!


Last edited by MrGary2011; 03-16-2019 at 09:21 AM.
MrGary2011 is offline  
Old 03-21-2019, 09:19 PM
  #15  
hogurt
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hogurt's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Fairview Hts. IL
Posts: 1,810
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by MrGary2011 View Post
I had a standard blower, x pipe, LT4 pump/injectors standard pullies and was at 586rwp. I would suggest getting the pump and injectors which will save from top end issues.
Just installed a ported blower with 103mm bore, plan to get the LT5 98mm throttle body and retune - should get up around 620 which will be my stopping point (for now). I don't want engine issues and since I really don't track, just punch it now and then am happy, oh also got the expansion tank and catch can installs. SAFETY FIRST! You observant ones will notice the belt not attached, this pic was taken while putting it all together!

i am really torn on this one. I have the blower ported by Jokerz...I am trying to figure out if I add the fuel, forged rods pistons...I am planning stock upper and 5% OD lower. However, if I go forged, I will add the 10% OD lower.
hogurt is offline  
Old 03-21-2019, 09:42 PM
  #16  
Bryansuavo
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Member Since: Oct 2016
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 244
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Default

I ran 12 pounds with 2.31 upper pulley. 670whp. Held just fine.
Bryansuavo is offline  
Old 03-21-2019, 11:52 PM
  #17  
hogurt
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hogurt's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Fairview Hts. IL
Posts: 1,810
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bryansuavo View Post
I ran 12 pounds with 2.31 upper pulley. 670whp. Held just fine.
I donít like the idea of running over 600whp without being forged. Itís just a personal thing. This is where I lost it on the Camaro too.

Since I was adding forged, I added a cam. Since I added the cam, I added LTís and got rid of cats. Since I added the cats, got rid of headers and had forged internals, it made sense to add e85....damn slippery slope. Next thing you know my daily driver is making 800whp and is not close to reasonable with street tires.

I want to play this safer. The Vette is my daily driver. I am thinking that I can skip the cam and LTís...just go forged with 10% OD pulley and e85 (probably e30-40 with stock cam). That should be good for 700whp but will largely feel and sound like stock unless you hit it. Maybe I could save some money by just going drop in pistons since I am staying under 800whp.

Last edited by hogurt; 03-21-2019 at 11:54 PM.
hogurt is offline  
Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM
  #18  
hogurt
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
hogurt's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2002
Location: Fairview Hts. IL
Posts: 1,810
Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Default

I will try to get some pictures this weekend of my LT1 Maggie setup and also get some pics of the ported LT4 blower just for fun.
hogurt is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT4 blower on Stingray - sound off on boost levels


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: