C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drop-in forged pistons overkill?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 11:25 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Default Drop-in forged pistons overkill?

I'm putting in a maggie heartbeat system on a 17 Grandsport with ARH long tubes already installed. Thinking about putting forged drop in pistons "while im in there" but I'm "only" planning on about 7-8lbs of boost because I dont want to have to worry about fuel and the expense to upgrade right now. For this application, is this overkill and a waste of money or good insurance? I know that the pistons are the weak point, and I'd like to not have to worry about it.

I'm thinking the next stage is fuel and pistons

Last edited by spinkick; 04-04-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:44 AM
Bruce_K
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Overkill, 700whp is the magic number for pistons
Old 04-04-2019, 12:14 PM
Corvette4ever
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Overkill
Old 04-04-2019, 06:20 PM
LuisZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 404 Likes on 203 Posts

Preventive maintenance I say
Old 04-04-2019, 07:43 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys
Old 04-04-2019, 08:32 PM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

overkill.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:37 AM
BlueDevilZ51
Melting Slicks

Received 389 Likes on 271 Posts

Overkill
Old 04-06-2019, 01:20 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

The shop doing the work agrees with you guys. Don't need them until you "push it" upgrading fuel etc first.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:04 AM
Mazant
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pistons

So are guys saying you can get 700rwp safely without cam and pistons ? Would meth, lt4 pump fuel system, and a dsx low side be enough?
Old 04-06-2019, 12:13 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

Overkill until you want more. Then I would just build a shortblock with better rods and lower compression a little with a different piston.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:14 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by Mazant
So are guys saying you can get 700rwp safely without cam and pistons ? Would meth, lt4 pump fuel system, and a dsx low side be enough?
Cam helps for fuel, but if you're going to do LT4 high side pump and injectors you could get to 700 probably. Might need meth. You wouldn't need a low side.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:18 PM
ArcticWhite
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Most shops I've seen comment on this in the past state they won't go over 650rwhp without doing pistons.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:55 PM
douniasg
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

With 8lbs I doubt it will be over 600 whp. I think its overkill. If you plan on doing a cam swap I would do drop in pistons. Lots of labor in cam swaps.
The following users liked this post:
spinkick (04-07-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 03:09 PM
Earl H
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by spinkick
I'm putting in a maggie heartbeat system on a 17 Grandsport with ARH long tubes already installed. Thinking about putting forged drop in pistons "while im in there" but I'm "only" planning on about 7-8lbs of boost because I dont want to have to worry about fuel and the expense to upgrade right now. For this application, is this overkill and a waste of money or good insurance? I know that the pistons are the weak point, and I'd like to not have to worry about it.

I think you have to go into things eyes wide open. If you put a blower on an LT1, you risk damage. I've seen some shops kill an LT4 with a stock blower, let alone a bigger one on an LT1. You are in my neck of the woods and lol, there are some shops that fit this description in our area. Some are well known. Conversely, I am pushing 4 digits on my LT4, with track times to support. I personally know of someone that pushed about as much hp and for longer (e.g. <50+ 8 sec track passes) before putting in stronger long block....official pick the right parts dealer/shop disclaimer.

If you plan on running 600+whp and you actually DRIVE the car, drop ins arent a bad idea. If you pop something, drop-ins won't be an option and you'll be in for more $$$ for block machining and clean up. You can throw a cam in while its being torn down without much additional labor cost. At, 7-8#'s on a maggy with exhaust, you will easily make that.

You will need to address fuel system...beyond 650-700rwhp. you will need to make a call on how big you want to go, assuming you don't want to lean on meth as a fuel supplement. Some guys will claim they can get away with more, but not sure how many of those cars get pushed much after getting off the dyno.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:37 PM
hogurt
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Not at all. Stock rods are good to about 900whp. The pistons are not. When you start wirh 7-8psi, you will be in the 550-600whp range. At that point you are at the limits of the LT1 fuel system.

When you go to add fuel, that's when you can add the cam and pistons and you are set.

If done right, with cam and fuel you are good to run up to 700whp pretty easily...for me, that's the time to add pistons too. I am biased, of course, because I went through that exact process...then I pushed the LT1 to 800whp. I am about to do the same thing on my Vette.

The blower is sitting in my office now. Will order cam, pistons and fuel soon...trying to figure out if I go with smooth idle or rough idle cam (JRE Racing). I am completely sold on their super street brawler package (but I will add forged pistons, again).

Last edited by hogurt; 04-11-2019 at 02:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TSLAVette (04-16-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 11:52 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys. Earl, where are you at? Feel free to let me know about the shops that are crazy. I've talked with a few and I agree, some sound very scary.

I'm using MJD Performance, Mike has been great so far and doesn't try to sell anything you don't need. So far, he's been saying the same things you are.

As far as goals, I'm not really chasing a number per se, but I'd like to be around 600WHP and call it a day (for now).
Old 04-09-2019, 10:02 AM
Earl H
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks guys. Earl, where are you at? Feel free to let me know about the shops that are crazy. I've talked with a few and I agree, some sound very scary.

I'm using MJD Performance, Mike has been great so far and doesn't try to sell anything you don't need. So far, he's been saying the same things you are.

As far as goals, I'm not really chasing a number per se, but I'd like to be around 600WHP and call it a day (for now).
I'm in Rochester. DM me for contact info. Always cool to get together with other car guys.

Last edited by Earl H; 04-09-2019 at 10:04 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Drop-in forged pistons overkill?

Old 04-09-2019, 01:44 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Originally Posted by Earl H
I think you have to go into things eyes wide open. If you put a blower on an LT1, you risk damage. I've seen some shops kill an LT4 with a stock blower, let alone a bigger one on an LT1. You are in my neck of the woods and lol, there are some shops that fit this description in our area. Some are well known. Conversely, I am pushing 4 digits on my LT4, with track times to support. I personally know of someone that pushed about as much hp and for longer (e.g. <50+ 8 sec track passes) before putting in stronger long block....official pick the right parts dealer/shop disclaimer.

If you plan on running 600+whp and you actually DRIVE the car, drop ins arent a bad idea. If you pop something, drop-ins won't be an option and you'll be in for more $$$ for block machining and clean up. You can throw a cam in while its being torn down without much additional labor cost. At, 7-8#'s on a maggy with exhaust, you will easily make that.

You will need to address fuel system...beyond 650-700rwhp. you will need to make a call on how big you want to go, assuming you don't want to lean on meth as a fuel supplement. Some guys will claim they can get away with more, but not sure how many of those cars get pushed much after getting off the dyno.
Earl I am with you here also on all of what you are saying. Heard of a 550 rwhp car blown the pistons up in it due to bad what ever in the car.. These pistons in the lt1 is just the weak point for sure.. Robert
Old 04-09-2019, 05:22 PM
hogurt
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
Earl I am with you here also on all of what you are saying. Heard of a 550 rwhp car blown the pistons up in it due to bad what ever in the car.. These pistons in the lt1 is just the weak point for sure.. Robert
It's not that the pistons are weak. It's that people screw up the tune. They are definitely not able to handle detonation given the tight ring config. Personally, however, I am in agreement. I ran the stock pistons to the 550-575whp. When I wanted more, I added pistons. I prefer the peace of mind of having forged even though if you use a good tuner you are very unlikely to have a problem. Still, if you add a set of drop in pistons and you can run 800whp safely.

I have found that 800whp is no fun on the street if you don't have the right tires (on a Camaro that weighs 3800lbs)...I can only imagine how tricky that will be on the Vette. I am seeing 650-700whp as the right target...and from my perspective, it's worth adding the pistons.

Last edited by hogurt; 04-09-2019 at 11:04 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:37 PM
Bruce_K
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

I agree with Hogurt here ive been over 550 HP for about 2 years now on boost and im solid. I want 7XXWHP i will be getting pistons.

Quick Reply: Drop-in forged pistons overkill?