C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AA Kit: Why so much blow by through the blow off valve

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 09:18 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Received 421 Likes on 319 Posts

Default AA Kit: Why so much blow by through the blow off valve

OK I am sure someone is going to say "because that's what the blow off valve does" or some chit like that, but damn I have switched from the SI unit and the big bubba to a Ti headunit and the race port, and it is the same chit. Today I drove it rather hard and at one point I had blow off coming through the sie vents of my aftermarket hood. There is oil mist everywhere in the Blow off area. I assume this is normal?
Old 05-18-2019, 11:47 AM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 309 Likes on 250 Posts

How much oil?

Do you have a catch can setup installed?
Old 05-18-2019, 12:53 PM
seCen
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I never noticed any oil mist around the bov area. You have a catchcan? Im not running one.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:17 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default Ttt

Buddy I have a TI set up dont have any blow by but also have a MM catch can also. But just put a fully forged parts on the inside & next week should be tuned hoping for about 850 rwhp with all the parts that went in her. We will see on the blow by then... Robert
Old 05-18-2019, 08:28 PM
RpeterK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like detonation's effect on the piston rings. Need to verify tune if not too late. This issue goes back to the early days of C7.
The following users liked this post:
Virgil6868 (06-08-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 08:59 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by RpeterK
Sounds like detonation's effect on the piston rings. Need to verify tune if not too late. This issue goes back to the early days of C7.
I agree the c7 was so bad due to piston rings being so close the non z06 ring gap is like 8,k and the z06 down to 16,k most builders will gap at 20,k to 25,k all on the rwhp set up on the motor. Robert
Old 06-07-2019, 03:57 AM
16 Stingray
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RpeterK
He is going WOT without a tune.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:39 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 16 Stingray
He is going WOT without a tune.

Sorry man but that is a pretty stupid assumption. Not only is my car tuned but when I went from the Si to the Ti I had it retuned and it is spot on. I think I probably hurt the motor. When I first had the car tuned I had a habit of revving it out all the time so I could hear it blow off. LOL Sounds like I hurt it. Its not an issue if I drive it normal or go in boost at times, its when I am beating on it. Looks like forged internals for me. Woohoo
Old 06-07-2019, 01:26 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by teddyca
Sorry man but that is a pretty stupid assumption. Not only is my car tuned but when I went from the Si to the Ti I had it retuned and it is spot on. I think I probably hurt the motor. When I first had the car tuned I had a habit of revving it out all the time so I could hear it blow off. LOL Sounds like I hurt it. Its not an issue if I drive it normal or go in boost at times, its when I am beating on it. Looks like forged internals for me. Woohoo
Just do a compression test and if you can leak down. Will tell you a lot. Any misfires? Sometimes, a cylinder down (blow-by past rings) can be picked up by logs. Check plugs after a hard run also.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:41 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Went back and looked at my response and it was kind of a d!ck move. I appreciate everyones feedback. I am really not worried about it. I am going to add the MM catchcan I ordered and go from there. When I am bored I will then do the compression test and obviously at the same time check plugs. Car runs great and made 655RWHP on a conservative tune.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:57 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Went back and looked at my response and it was kind of a d!ck move. I appreciate everyones feedback. I am really not worried about it. I am going to add the MM catchcan I ordered and go from there. When I am bored I will then do the compression test and obviously at the same time check plugs. Car runs great and made 655RWHP on a conservative tune.
I will tell you I track mine pretty hard (F1A-94 Port Injection basically everything...) I did one track day after my build and in high gear, full throttle pulls I would blow some oil out my crankcase main seal (pretty sure). Thought it was toast. I put an MMS MILD catch can (his recommendation for road racing) -8AN lines using his PCV diverter and it 100% stopped my oil leak. Incredible. And fortunate. I wanted a bit more so I did his MILD can + an AMP open style can which breathes my driver side valve cover. I keep my passenger per David @MMS's recommendation to keep the balance of air flowing between the passenger side valve cover and oil/sidekick tanks. When the engine sucks oil in from the tanks, it also pulls air out the engine which transfers back to the tanks/vice versa. The front line on the oil tanks is a breather line (from the front of the car), second is the main tank, the last one at the firewall is sidekick tank. I join the oil + sidekick tank lines and run them to my passenger valve cover. I then take the overflow from my MMS and route it to my AMP tank, which has a drain line + filter. The AMP tank fits perfectly where my stock air box went and the filter is tucked up inside my fender well so fumes go out the car. Really a sweet setup and I have run it at Daytona International Speedway (big MPH), Roebling Road (hit 177 on the front straight), and street/drag it too. It's been flawless for months. It's probably overkill but I like the reservoir capacity I don't have to drain it often as I used to.

The MMS can is plenty and that's what most run.

Driver side shot

Passenger side shot

MMS overflow to AMP tank (custom banjo fitting to Fragola -10AN lines/fittings)

Oil/Sidekick lines to passenger valve cover (katech valve covers)
Old 06-08-2019, 09:02 PM
VIC_C7
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK I am sure someone is going to say "because that's what the blow off valve does" or some chit like that, but damn I have switched from the SI unit and the big bubba to a Ti headunit and the race port, and it is the same chit. Today I drove it rather hard and at one point I had blow off coming through the sie vents of my aftermarket hood. There is oil mist everywhere in the Blow off area. I assume this is normal?
I have an a@a on my vette since 2015. The oil is normal in addition the oil smell inside the cabin. The way a solve both things was with a hose from the blow off to the right fender of the car and a catch can. As a bonus I don't hear the woosh of the blow off.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:48 AM
Mark Hankins II
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just literally had this happen to my car. Same head unit and bov. I am not running a catch can so I guess I need to start there but man am I concerned! I just picked the car up three weeks ago from install and this is only the third time to do a hard pull on it and I have oil everywhere def more than the mist some have mentioned. Car ran fine under normal driving though. Oil pressure is fine. Hopefully just needs a catch can!
Old 06-26-2019, 04:30 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

My car has the same issue. I have a catch can and I get oil everywhere, it blows out the filter on the catch can and is all over the underside of the hood. I thought maybe my guys filled the oil up too much on the last oil change or didn’t drain the catch can. I had them leave the oil low a bit and empty the catch can. Needless to say it didn’t help. I’ve been driving it that way for a bit, but I just haven’t been getting on it, if I do I get oil everywhere. I’m close to getting it built anyway, so once I do I’ll have them diagnose it and let me know what happened.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:57 AM
Mark Hankins II
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am with you and am going to just have the engine tore into and built but what sucks is I literally just had this work done! Makes me not even want to drive the car at all! Quite annoying to be honest and just pisses me off thinking about it!

I am am going to get the original builder/tuner to go through it and just see what he thinks but I am assuming the worst.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:43 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

i have seen more than one 14/15 with what i would call unusually high blowby
this can put extra load on the vent system, and without a catch can you are sending this now oily air into the front of your s/c, then through the intercooler, then onto /into the engine and sometimes of course out the bypass valve when it opens.

i have also seen more than one lt1 car that has broken piston(s) acting the same way.

related to my product please don't hesitate to email me if anything seems like it is functioning abnomally and I can walk you through some simple tests to make sure at least the catch can is healthy.

Get notified of new replies

To AA Kit: Why so much blow by through the blow off valve

Quick Reply: AA Kit: Why so much blow by through the blow off valve