C7 Forced Induction/Nitrous C7 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fueling questions for high HP

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 01:07 PM
samwint77
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Fueling questions for high HP

I'll be changing my SC to a whipple at some point. I'm trying to get a better understanding of what fuel needs I'll need. I know there's different directions (methanol, e, bigger injectors) I can go. My plans are to get the whipple from weapon x with the fuel ports or "bungs". I'd like to hit 900 whp. Is it a separate system that feeds the port injection? I've also heard that I can use a voltage booster for the low side, but having an electrical background, is that good for the pump? Whats the smart way to do this? I'm open to running methanol as long as it doesn't go through the whipple.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:07 PM
Ghostnotes
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Separate injectors requires a separate controller, not sure how meth comes in on a whipple. I'm going with FIC drop ins. Apparently they have some that flow quite a bit more than the Zo6. If that's true It's a matter of an upgraded LPFP/HPFP and no extra controller.

Boosting voltage? As an Electrical Engineer I'd be weary of it. It will definitely shorten the life of the pump. However if it's engineered robust.....maybe. Heck I'm not even sure how you boost an already 12v system. I'd be curious to read on that. However if you are not losing any high pressure yet there is no need. At 900hp though, you will be well past just needing a voltage boost to be safe... on say no meth.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:44 PM
OG_Pokey
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

A lot of folks at that power level (me included) have gone with a cam swap (think fuel lobe), low side fuel mods and meth to support larger blowers up to 950'ish to maybe 1000 whp. And the tuning of course. That's what will be included in most shops/tuners 1000 hp package. Beyond that power level, you'll need to step up to another set of injectors plus a controller to make them work.

"Boost A Pump" voltage systems have been out there since like the mid 90's. Kenne Bell is probably the most widely known, and they will tell you there is no negative impact on the fuel pump life. I haven't read anywhere that a C7 is using one of those systems though.

Last edited by OG_Pokey; 05-29-2019 at 12:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-29-2019, 02:13 PM
samwint77
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostnotes
Separate injectors requires a separate controller, not sure how meth comes in on a whipple. I'm going with FIC drop ins. Apparently they have some that flow quite a bit more than the Zo6. If that's true It's a matter of an upgraded LPFP/HPFP and no extra controller.

Boosting voltage? As an Electrical Engineer I'd be weary of it. It will definitely shorten the life of the pump. However if it's engineered robust.....maybe. Heck I'm not even sure how you boost an already 12v system. I'd be curious to read on that. However if you are not losing any high pressure yet there is no need. At 900hp though, you will be well past just needing a voltage boost to be safe... on say no meth.
They sell what looks like plates with port bungs I believe. So it would be under the blower. Looks like for me to do it right it will cost about 5 to 6 k, but I'd rather do it right. I agree, I believe it would shorten the life of the pump.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:15 PM
Silverboost
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by OG_Pokey
A lot of folks at that power level (me included) have gone with a cam swap (think fuel lobe), low side fuel mods and meth to support larger blowers up to 950'ish to maybe 1000 whp. And the tuning of course. That's what will be included in most shops/tuners 1000 hp package. Beyond that power level, you'll need to step up to another set of injectors plus a controller to make them work.

"Boost A Pump" voltage systems have been out there since like the mid 90's. Kenne Bell is probably the most widely known, and they will tell you there is no negative impact on the fuel pump life. I haven't read anywhere that a C7 is using one of those systems though.
I have been using a Msd boost a pump on my C7 for years. It is boost activated so unless I'm at 5 to 6 pounds of boost it is not changing the pump characteristics at all. Typically if I am above 6 pounds of boost it's only for seconds at a time.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:40 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

You don’t need port injection for 900 wheel. You can get away with LT4 high side and Injectors and meth assuming you are also doing a cam or have a cam?

if you don’t want to do a cam or want to avoid doing meth you’ll need port injection.

Or or if you want to run full e85 you’ll need port injection.

A low side fuel system is always a good idea also.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:25 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by C7&7
You don’t need port injection for 900 wheel. You can get away with LT4 high side and Injectors and meth assuming you are also doing a cam or have a cam?

if you don’t want to do a cam or want to avoid doing meth you’ll need port injection.

Or or if you want to run full e85 you’ll need port injection.

A low side fuel system is always a good idea also.
Buddy I am with you on all of this. But if you use meth send the pump out to be rebuild ever 2 years, Plus if you let the car set up over the winter drain the meth tank & put yes water thur it you can unplug the jet and spray the water thur it out into a gallon jar to clean the lines and the pump.. Robert
Old 06-04-2019, 08:29 AM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

No way I would rely on boosting the low side voltage for my $10k motor rebuild for lean conditions. For 900 wheel I personally would want to be running ethanol, it's just flat out more reliable in many ways for your engine (I get 6+ degrees extra timing on top over pump gas) due to higher octane rating, it aids in cooling with properties of alcohol. You can spray meth to help with cooling if running pump gas sure, or even get away with pump gas alone on 900 wheel but that's pretty close to my limit if it were me on pump gas. I would personally do a double or triple in-tank pump (fore), or a good secondary low side (I run a MagnaFuel 750 kicked on by my Holley ECU on throttle/rpm/boost). 900 wheel on ethanol will need to flow quite the volume of fuel up top, sure you can get away with that possibly with a larger fuel lobe on cam, big bore HPFP, and even 30% larger DI injectors. My personal preference is Crawford Racing CRFueler. The Holley systems are sick port injection setups that can take damn never over every other part of your engine as well, I use it for port injection, secondary fuel pump, wastegate control (dual solenoid). But the dominators can control TB, Spark, Trans, Traction Control, etc. Port injection which your Whipple can be set up for will also allow you plenty of room to grow int the future. Really just the best peace of mind honestly, exactly why GM did it on the ZR1. Just depends on your future needs, $$, personal preference. Lots of right answers honestly, meth, port, larger DI setup. Regardless of all those for sure invest in a larger in-tank setup OR good secondary fuel pump. My personal preference is also running a secondary fuel line -8AN all the way up the torque tube (with return as well) not relying on the stock hard fuel line for fueling both port and DI on ethanol. That's a LOT of fuel for the stock hard line to flow, volume wise. You may get away with it for 900 wheel but that will be your next choke point especially again if on ethanol (you need 30% more by volume over pump gas to make the same power).
Old 06-04-2019, 12:12 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 641 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by samwint77
I'll be changing my SC to a whipple at some point. I'm trying to get a better understanding of what fuel needs I'll need. I know there's different directions (methanol, e, bigger injectors) I can go. My plans are to get the whipple from weapon x with the fuel ports or "bungs". I'd like to hit 900 whp. Is it a separate system that feeds the port injection? I've also heard that I can use a voltage booster for the low side, but having an electrical background, is that good for the pump? Whats the smart way to do this? I'm open to running methanol as long as it doesn't go through the whipple.
Last ZL1 Whipple build we did made 918whp/917ftlbs. Stock injectors, E85, Alky, 32% Cam Lobe, Lash Cap on the HPFP, & DSX Low Side. In the process of another one that has a different cam/heads and should be a little more potent.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:22 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Dane@LGmotorsports
Last ZL1 Whipple build we did made 918whp/917ftlbs. Stock injectors, E85, Alky, 32% Cam Lobe, Lash Cap on the HPFP, & DSX Low Side. In the process of another one that has a different cam/heads and should be a little more potent.
Full E85? My stock LT4 injectors are MAXED at 805 rwhp on full E85 and M15/M10 nozzles, 32% lobe and a low side system. I'd love to know how you are doing it....
Old 06-05-2019, 07:49 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Full E85? My stock LT4 injectors are MAXED at 805 rwhp on full E85 and M15/M10 nozzles, 32% lobe and a low side system. I'd love to know how you are doing it....
Was probably like e50. That's where my car was power wise on dual nozzle 15s LT4 pump and injectors. I didn't have a low side either.
The following users liked this post:
ajrothm (06-05-2019)
Old 06-05-2019, 08:15 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C7&7
Was probably like e50. That's where my car was power wise on dual nozzle 15s LT4 pump and injectors. I didn't have a low side either.

Yeah I'm at 32% DC and 6.1 mls on full E85 at 805rw. Its JUST enough for what my setup is capable of making but.... I'm just curious how you could make more then that on stock injectors and full E85 unless you are fogging it with even more meth. I'm already worried about fuel/meth distribution as it is now.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:37 PM
Earl H
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Given how unreliable the meth pumps can be (ran meth way back when C5's were new and had a backup pump on the shelf at all times), I've been a meth fan for years, yet I don't understand why guys chance their motors running meth as a fuel SYSTEM supplement. Cooling and limited octane support, I understand. Yeah, you can get away with it, but why chance it...pay me now or pay me later.
hogurt (06-17-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 01:22 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports

Yes full E. Do you have ported heads as well? Shimming the HPFP makes a good bit of difference.

Last edited by Dane@LGmotorsports; 06-06-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:21 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dane@LGmotorsports
Yes full E. Do you have ported heads as well? Shimming the HPFP makes a good bit of difference.
No... Stock heads. I have plenty of fuel pressure on the high side....never seems to dip below 2800 ish… and plenty of low side.... Its the injectors that seem to tap out.

I'm not planning on going any further with this car but....I still keep my eyes open for better fueling options. I don't mind running meth, but do hate the fact that its VERY dependent on it as a fuel source, and I'm not 100% convinced that the $3500 FIC injectors (30% larger) are worth the money....that's IF they are really anywhere near 30% more capacity.
AZGASSER (06-07-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 11:33 AM
Fast6.3
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Nice rides
Old 06-08-2019, 02:05 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports

No... Stock heads. I have plenty of fuel pressure on the high side....never seems to dip below 2800 ish… and plenty of low side.... Its the injectors that seem to tap out.

I'm not planning on going any further with this car but....I still keep my eyes open for better fueling options. I don't mind running meth, but do hate the fact that its VERY dependent on it as a fuel source, and I'm not 100% convinced that the $3500 FIC injectors (30% larger) are worth the money....that's IF they are really anywhere near 30% more capacity.
We haven't tried the larger injectors just port injection stuff but I think David @ VR posted that they made 900+ on the same whipple set up with no meth and FIC injectors (full E). I may spec with the larger FIC's next time a I do a big-ish build, I'll let you know how it goes.

Get notified of new replies

To Fueling questions for high HP

Old 06-11-2019, 12:35 AM
hogurt
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I looked at the FIC injectors for my LT1 Camaro. When I bumped over 800whp on e85 (70%e - straight pump) then the injectors tapped out. I didn't need meth to get above 800. I am dialing it back to make it more friendly on the street.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:07 AM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,228 Likes on 775 Posts

There is a lot of claims in here that I call bs on unless people aren't saying all the mods, or have a completely false dyno graph.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:20 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hogurt
I looked at the FIC injectors for my LT1 Camaro. When I bumped over 800whp on e85 (70%e - straight pump) then the injectors tapped out. I didn't need meth to get above 800. I am dialing it back to make it more friendly on the street.

So you made 800 rwhp on full E85 on stock injectors and no meth? You are a much better man then I.... LOL... We barely made 804 rwhp on full E85....(showing 85-86% in HPT) and that was WITH M15/M10 nozzles of meth. I don't think I could have made 700 rw on full E85 without meth before the injectors ran out. Just speculating ofcourse.

I just don't see how you can make 900+ rw on full e85, even with dual nozzle meth before the injectors are done.

Quick Reply: Fueling questions for high HP