Corvette will live on but lighter and greener

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 06:18 PM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by redvet
Yeah, well...

The reason I have a Corvette coupe is because I want a car of its size (for comfort) and luggage capacity (had four guitars in the trunk last weekend, and two of them were full-size acoustics).

If I wanted a Solstice, I'd have bought a Solstice. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Pontiac roadster, but it doesnt fit my all-around needs or lifestyle.

Glad I got my new '08; if I'd waited, who knows?
That's exactly why I bought an '08. We've seen this movie before and it ain't pretty. Cars of the mid '70s and '80s were pretty much garbage. CAFE was the reason. It's gonna happen again. Bet on it.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:20 PM
RedlineDrummer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This Gm guy is talking out his ***!!!!! The Corvette for the most part will stay the same, period!!!! He is throwing out big time speculation here not fact.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:21 PM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
I cannot see them making a fiberglass Solstice with a twinkie motor & calling it a Corvette!
Ford did that. They gussied up a Pinto and called it a Mustang. CAFE was the reason and it was a POS.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:34 PM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by calvie018
The question I want to know is...Why would a GM 4.7L v8 make only 280hp? That makes no sense at all.
the infiniti 3.7l v6 makes 330 hp
Old 01-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by redvet
The reason I have a Corvette coupe is because I want a car of its size (for comfort) and luggage capacity (had four guitars in the trunk last weekend, and two of them were full-size acoustics).

If I wanted a Solstice, I'd have bought a Solstice. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Pontiac roadster, but it doesnt fit my all-around needs or lifestyle.

A Solstice with a V8 isnt a Corvette. There are plenty of small cars for small drivers out there already. I'm 6 foot, and I don't want to squeeze into a Miata... I want the comfort and capacity of the C6 Corvette.

I can hear the "explanations" already as they try to sell us on the new SolsVette:
"The previous generation Corvette was focused on horsepower, but the new 2012 Corvette is focused on world-class performance of both horsepower *and* handling. The 2012 Corvette is smaller, lighter and more nimble -- a better balanced car that, even with its slightly smaller interior and exterior, still is quite comfortable. The all-new 2012 Corvette achieves an impressive 20% better mileage rating than the previous generation while still maintaining class-leading horsepower with its 345hp direct-injection V8."

Lighter? Great! Smaller? No thanks... the C6 is perfectly-sized now.

Come 2012, maybe our C6's will be the "new" 63-67 C2 coupes in HP and desireability.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:59 PM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

Weight savings for the Corvette isn't going to be easy. It's already lighter than almost any competitor on the market.

Look at the Z06. It's just barely lighter and it has an aluminum chassis.

Look at the new ZR1. It's got bunches of really expensive carbon fiber for weight reduction and it's not really lighter, it just tends to offset the supercharger & other enhancements.

Bottom line is the Corvette of today has a mostly aluminum driveline. It has a magnesium top frame and bracing at the cowl. It's plastic body is relatively light weight.

The only way to trim pounds further is to reduce size. The only way to increase mileage is to reduce power.

Better get 'em while they're hot. The good old days are fading fast.

It didn't have to be this way. The market would have driven mass market changes and specialty cars like the Corvette could have continued on in the direction they were headed. The net effect of Corvettes on fuel economy over all would have been nearly zero. But no. Government had to step in and try to "do something." When is the last time that happened and it turned out well???
Old 01-22-2008, 07:11 PM
2000WS6Vert
Instructor

I think everyone is missing the point. In 2012 the automotive scene should be drastically changed. All cars will have to be lighter and smaller to get better gas mileage.

There won't be very many 430 HP vehicles left out there. This isn't just GM...this is EVERY manufacturer.

If the Corvette shrinks slightly in size but it retains about the same storage and interior volume....what exactly is the downside? If they go to a DI 4.7L engine making 350 HP...once again...what is the downside?

In 4 years come back to this thread and look at what you wrote....things will be drastically changed in 4 years. Mark my words!
Old 01-22-2008, 07:23 PM
carnut08
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 2000WS6Vert
I think everyone is missing the point. In 2012 the automotive scene should be drastically changed. All cars will have to be lighter and smaller to get better gas mileage.

There won't be very many 430 HP vehicles left out there. This isn't just GM...this is EVERY manufacturer.

If the Corvette shrinks slightly in size but it retains about the same storage and interior volume....what exactly is the downside? If they go to a DI 4.7L engine making 350 HP...once again...what is the downside?

In 4 years come back to this thread and look at what you wrote....things will be drastically changed in 4 years. Mark my words!
In what way are we missing the point? Most posters have accepted the likelyhood that CAFE law changes will ruin the Corvette as we know it today. And your point would be???
Old 01-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Rowboat66
Racer

Originally Posted by BetterMostC6
You mark my words, within the next couple of years I will say by 2011 we will see an auto show "Corvette Concept" that is very highly styled but the size of a Solstice just to get "what if" public opinions.

Yup, the marketing dept will test the waters to see just how much the vette community will tolerate.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:28 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 595 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

Originally Posted by Wayne O
No doubt a shrewd comment to make before the ZR1 went up for auction and who knows...maybe he'll be right. We'll have to wait to see what the future brings but it's almost irrelevant to me...I put an entirely different, higher horsepower engine in my C6 and I could do it with my C7 as well. A lighter, greener Corvette....not in my garage.
Right on Bro !
Old 01-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Marina Blue
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rowboat66

Yup, the marketing dept will test the waters to see just how much the vette community will tolerate.
The present environment is "what GM will be able to tolerate and survive as a competitive auto manufacturer." U.S. auto companies are in a situation where every product decision is becoming critical to survival. The Corvette saw near death a couple of times before, most recently in the '90s before the C5 was introduced, and is not immune to cancellation today. GM does not have the luxury of continuing production of a car that is not in sync with profitability. If Corvette cannot meet corporate goals for mileage and emissions and stay profitable, what the "Vette community will tolerate" doesn't mean beans.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:48 PM
wewing
Burning Brakes

I agree with all you guys. Its sad to see the Chief GM exec in charge of Corvette say:

"Rather than trying to top those performance numbers, Wallace said: "I think we need to say, 'We reached performance levels that are pretty good. Let's maintain those and improve fuel economy.' "

What kind of BS is that? If I want a car with more fuel economy, I'll by a Honda Civic. If I want a car with the performance numbers they've got right now, I'll just keep my current Vette for the rest of my life.

If they really think they're going to sell this next generation whatever it is, he's got to say "The next generation Corvette's performance numbers will crush the competition." That's what the car's been all about for 50 years.

Oh yeah, except parts of the 70's and 80's when Congress pulled this bone head move the last time.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Corvette Junkie
Night Race Blue 427
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Muncie, Indiana ...... Can I buy an amplifier on time ... I ani't got no money now but I'll pay you before I die
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

They will be building the Solstice and Sky along with the Corvette in Bowling Green. Hmmm
Old 01-22-2008, 08:00 PM
john_uk
Racer

Originally Posted by NORTY
Diesel power!
I'd buy a diesel Vette if they bought one out, hell yeah!! Look at Audi here in Europe just announced the Diesel powered R8. 493 BHP with
738 lbs of Torque...yes 738 lds of torque! This also out performs the petrol version (0-60 under 4 secs) yet brings amazing fuel economy.

My other car is a Audi A8 V8 Diesel, she pull 60 in 5.6 seconds she has a sports performance exhaust and dam she sounds good! There's a misconception that all diesels sound like trucks?!
Old 01-22-2008, 08:19 PM
Rockdog
Racer

I am partial to a high performance V8. In the future, if a Corvette comes with a fuel cell but still hauls ***, so be it. Things will change though, no doubt.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:11 PM
mikesul
Drifting

Love the V8, but maybe a carbon/ceramic diesel block along with lighter weight vehicle materials would be a faster car. Looking forward to what technology will bring us, and keeping my fingers crossed the result will still be fun to drive.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:11 PM
conecrusher
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't care what a future Corvette weighs, or how it's powered, as long as it delivers performance better than or equal to today's car.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette will live on but lighter and greener

Old 01-22-2008, 10:13 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by conecrusher
Don't care what a future Corvette weighs, or how it's powered, as long as it delivers performance better than or equal to today's car.
and I'm sure it will be. People were afraid of fuel injection, computers, OBD and they actually enhanced performance.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:27 PM
adias
Burning Brakes

The current politics hurts Detroit's (GM and Ford) on the sports car side and favors the Europeans, since small production (Ferrari/Lambo/Maser) are unaffected and Porsche/Audi are averaged out by VW which can easily meet the regs as it is not encumbered by gas-mileage-inefficient truck production.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:30 PM
adias
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by corvette pilot
and I'm sure it will be. People were afraid of fuel injection, computers, OBD and they actually enhanced performance.

I'm not so sure. I fully remember the late 70s/80s and the auto appliances produced then.

The problem is the government. I believe that the market would sort out these issues far better, more efficiently and with better results. Government regs have a way to destabilize and disincentivise progress.

Quick Reply: Corvette will live on but lighter and greener