Sponsored by:

I'd be OK with lighter and less powerful base engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 08:29 PM
larrysb
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I'd be OK with lighter and less powerful base engine

I've been driving my 02 convertible since I bought it new. I like the car a whole lot, it's a good balance of performance and value. With the six speed, I can burn as much gas as I want to, or I can be thrifty and drive like a sane human being.

I was tempted by the C6 and C6/Z06. What's not to love? More power, some refinements to the car overall and it's nice. But as I thought it over, I'm satisfied with the power level I have now.

For next generation Corvette, I hope there will be a choice of power plants. There should be a high-PO option. But personally, I would probably opt for a convertible with a lower power, more economical engine, particularly if the chassis is considerably lighter. I would want enough power to make it fun to drive and some low RPM torque so it feels American. In reality, that's what I really do in my convertible, cruise around, enjoy some twisty roads and an occasional romp on the go pedal. It's not like I need 400-600+ horses for that.

Back in the day, the 350 CID engine was a very popular power plant, when the big blocks were available as options.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:29 PM
ajrubincpa
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I can understand your reasoning

Although I like having the extra HP for getting on the interstate faster, I think once I reached the desired speed, I would be happy with less HP and better mileage. I am actually getting great mileage on my current
C6. Like you, however, I enjoy cruising, around with the targa off. I am not interested in red-lining it and going 100+ on any road. Besides, the lousy Cobb County Police in Georgia just love pulling over speeders. Apparently, Cobb County Police also like to speed and kill innocent drivers too, like they recently did with one of my neighbors, and that was not meant to be a joke.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:21 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

Lighter is always better.
Old 02-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Turbineguy
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While this might sound crazy now (heresy to the Corvette faithful) I think an alloy turbodiesel would be a great engine option in the future. Current 6 cylinder diesels from Mercedes and BMW are making over 400lb-ft torque with half the displacement of the LS3 engine; that sounds promising to me.
Common-rail fuel delivery and piezo injector technology have transformed modern diesels into clean & powerful engines. Audi's 4.2 TDI V8 makes 326hp and 561 torque if the V6's power isn't enough to satisfy the leadfoots. Then there's the V12 TDI ...
Old 02-06-2008, 04:19 PM
CandyVette
Drifting

I started out with a 190 hp 1981 Vette and have been thrilled and excited about the hp going up every time I bought another Vette. I have found out that 400 hp is not enough for me. I for one would be very, VERY disappointed if the C7 did not come with more hp than the C6. In fact, I think it would be a disaster. I am confident GM and Chevrolet will make the right decision and pump up the horsepower. No diesels, no mid-engines, and no wimpy V6 or V8 engines allowed!
Old 02-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Axl Jack
Racer

I don't like speeding. Top speed doesn't impress me.... acceleration does. I love going from 0 to 40. So, when my 2007 C6 becomes "old" (i.e. when the C7's come out), I am going to regear the rear to 3.90 or 4.11.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:10 PM
POACHR
Burning Brakes

i hate to be the one to say it but the way i see it is this....GM is a business, so if they can build a vette that is lighter, with smaller displacement, and ultimately faster they are going to do it, even though they might lose some corvette faithful in the process...because they know they will gain customers who like the new direction the vette has taken. The horsepower wars as we know it have basically come to an end i think after the c6. Especially with the new laws coming out, this new style vette is inevitable.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:26 PM
2005ArcticWhite
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'18,'20-'21,'24

I need more HP and Torque

Old 02-11-2008, 10:49 AM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Why not have it all? Good mileage, light weight, high horsepower? It can be done! If GM can't do it some other company will!

Get notified of new replies

To I'd be OK with lighter and less powerful base engine

Quick Reply: I'd be OK with lighter and less powerful base engine