Sponsored by:

What do you NOT want in a C7?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 03:30 PM
SJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by david9962000
Don't want that leaf spring in the back. It needs a coil-over.
Why?

Compared to coiled steel, the transverse leaf spring is much more compact, lighter, never sags, never rusts, and lasts about 10 times as long. That translates into a lighter, better handling car, that's easier to design, is more reliable, and cheaper to maintain and own.

So what makes the leaf spring worse?

Old 04-16-2008, 09:49 PM
Alex1217
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Baughb
Oooh, that would be cool, but do it in a new way so the lights are still relatively flush when up/on. Sliding covers maybe?

Use new LED technology to make a headlight that can flip and stay flush with the body when it's turned on, yet will give the traditional "hidden headlight" look when turned off. LED's are light enough for a return to flip up headlights and give a better headlight beam than projectors.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:42 PM
CandyVette
Drifting

Please, no mid-engined Corvettes--ever! Keep the V8 and give it more HP. Give me fog lights that match the headlights. Also keep the exposed headlights, I like them and they're much more aerodynamic than the hidden headlights. I'm short (5'3") so give the steering wheel more tilt so I can tilt it down more to suit my driving needs. Give more interior leather color options. Give me an option to delete OnStar. Other than that, I'm ready to order the C7 in about three years or so!
Old 04-22-2008, 03:05 PM
9secz
Pro

Originally Posted by CandyVette
Give me an option to delete OnStar.
<hijack>
It's very easy to disable OnStar by disconnecting some of the wire connectors from the OnStar box, which is located under the carpet in the right rear storage compartment. The procedure does not compromise any other function and does not set trouble codes. Physically removing the box and antenna involves a bit more work.
</hijack>

Also, thanks to andrecswe, who had every right to say "RTMF, you moron!", but didn't. Now I keep that right side temp button pushed to disable the 2-zone feature.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:37 PM
9secz
Pro

Originally Posted by SJ
Why?

Compared to coiled steel, the transverse leaf spring is much more compact, lighter, never sags, never rusts, and lasts about 10 times as long. That translates into a lighter, better handling car, that's easier to design, is more reliable, and cheaper to maintain and own.

So what makes the leaf spring worse?

The pair of Eibach coils I have on each end of my C6 are lighter than the transverse leaf they replace, and take up less room. Specically, my pair of base suspension transverses weigh 19 lbs (I just weighed them), while my 6" long, 2.25" diameter Eibachs weigh about 2-1/2 lb each according to their catalog specs. That's a little more than 1/2 the weight of the transverse leafs.

"More compact"? My coilovers live in the wasted space around each shock. However, removing the front transverse has freed up some useful space for coolers and associated plumbing. That takes care of "lighter" and "much more compact".

Regarding the "never sags" claim, I'd like to see data from a controlled experiment showing that the plastic used for the springs does not ever take a set. You may be 100% correct for all I know today, but it's one of those claims that doesn't sound right to me.

Regarding "more reliable" and "cheaper to maintain and own", again, I'd sure like to see the controlled experiment data supporting those claims. "Reliable"? There are a lot of coil sprung cars and trucks on the road, and I don't hear much about spring failures. And "cheaper"? Let's compare the cost of a 4 corner spring rate change. My 4 coils run ~$80 each, total is ~$320. Have you priced transverse leafs of various spring rates?

"Better handing car"? I'm having a hard time understanding how spring type influences handling. Spring rate, absolutely! This doesn't prove anything, I realize, but it sure seems to me that Vette racers like to switch to coilovers if the rules permit. And I'm pretty sure they value good handling.

I will concede that my powder coated coilovers may rust to uselessness after a few decades of use, especially if I regularly spray them with salt water. But the odds are pretty good that will be somebody else's problem.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:08 PM
All Twisted Up
Drifting

Originally Posted by ANTIVNOM
I've said the same thing about the Mustang. I will never buy a mustang without a V8, and I won't buy a Corvette without one either.
I just.... wouldn't buy a mustang! haha..

I'd like to see auto-pilot for long trips.. I'd like to just fall asleep. That'd be nice! I agree with getting rid of the packages. It's a load of crap. All I wanted for my wife's car was cruise control, but there was about 15 other things I didn't want and another $4k involved.... Let me pic what I want then get it to me in a timely manor.. Toyota is able to do it, I'm pretty sure GM can too!
Old 04-23-2008, 10:24 AM
bigleman
Pro

Do NOT move the exhaust tips!

Dead center of the rear is beautiful!
I keep seeing "concept" photochops of the C7 and they all have the exhaust moved to the outside, please dont do it.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,377 Likes on 2,068 Posts

I do not want more weight. I want less weight. Cut the base weight by 10%.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Double_0_7
Pro

Originally Posted by 9secz
I sure hope influential Chevy employees read CF! Please, please, please,

- If I turn my goofball automatic headlights off, LEAVE THEM OFF! Don't make me have to trick your foolish BCM by quickly turning the headlight **** to off right after starting the car in my garage on a bright, sunny morning. EVERY DAY!

You can can knock yourselves out designing cars that think for us. Many, perhaps most, like it that way. For the rest of us, please provide a manual mode that sticks for each of these automatic systems!
a lot of this is federal safety standards. and yes, they do cover everything from auto on running lamps that must be manually overriden each time to turn off, to how difficult and/or audible the on switch for the cruise control must be. they regulate some of the most annoying things ever in cars, and the automakers have to follow.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Ozona
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TCW
I do NOT want exposed headlights! Bring back the traditional hidden headlights.

Tom

Old 04-26-2008, 06:28 PM
9secz
Pro

Originally Posted by Double_0_7
a lot of this is federal safety standards. and yes, they do cover everything from auto on running lamps that must be manually overriden each time to turn off, [snip]
I can handle the DRLs. It's the fact that my HID headlights auto-turn-on every morning in the garage unless I'm awake enough to hold the headlight switch in the CUT IT OUT position immediately after the engine starts. This occurs when it's bright and sunny outside. I've never before seen a car with light sensing headlights that could not be put in full manual mode.

I guess the headlight manufacturers wanted GM to shorten lamp life as much as possible.

Jeff
Old 04-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Double_0_7
Pro

ahhh...i see what you meant now. yeah, that kinda sucks.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:40 PM
lutell
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

exposed headlights, are in... the hidden light flip up are the thing in the past...
Old 04-28-2008, 02:19 AM
wishihad1-2
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by david9962000
Don't want that leaf spring in the back. It needs a coil-over.
So GM should keep the front leaf spring?
Old 04-28-2008, 11:44 AM
MislMan
Instructor

How about something that could be simple. I don't want the fuel filter inside the gas tank where I can't service it.

How about some "Photo-gray windows that automatically tint in the sunlight and clear as the day gets darker. That way we don't have to deal with dark tinted windows at night, or bake in the sun during the day.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:56 AM
Showdown
Pro

Originally Posted by Baughb
Oooh, that would be cool, but do it in a new way so the lights are still relatively flush when up/on. Sliding covers maybe?
interesting
Old 05-19-2008, 08:20 AM
REVHIGH
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't want purple metalflake. Where are they taking these colors? I admit, I am one of the old traditional guys...sorry yung'ns

Get notified of new replies

To What do you NOT want in a C7?

Old 05-19-2008, 09:10 AM
OnionCrk
Instructor

I don't want HUD, NAV, Cupholders, Ash Tray, 6-Disc CD Changer, Flip-up Headlights. Steering Wheel Controls, Sunvisor Universal Controls or Leather Wrapped interior (just steering wheel, seats of standard models).

I do want expressive revolutionary styling with exposed HIDs, less weight (2900 lbs), 6-Speed Manual Transmission, Run Flat Tires, tighter body with same passenger room, but willing to forego some of the cargo space (don't need room for golf culbs).

I do want a Sport Touring Sports Car, but not a luxo GT Cruiser for the Country Club...
Old 05-23-2008, 11:20 AM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

I can handle the DRLs. It's the fact that my HID headlights auto-turn-on every morning in the garage unless I'm awake enough to hold the headlight switch in the CUT IT OUT position immediately after the engine starts. This occurs when it's bright and sunny outside. I've never before seen a car with light sensing headlights that could not be put in full manual mode.

I guess the headlight manufacturers wanted GM to shorten lamp life as much as possible.
I address this by switching to PARKING LIGHTS as I pull into the garage, if I am not already in that mode.. During the day I run with the PARKING LIGHTS on so my Machine Silver Vert is visible from the rear all the time, not just braking. This also switches the front lights to the smaller, cooler parking light filament, and saves the bright filament for just the turn signals.

If you leave the switch in the PARKING LIGHT position, all the lights shut off when you turn off the car. And the HID headlights do NOT come on in the garage the next time you start the car.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:56 AM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Remove the DRL, Chryslers and Fords do not have them this is a Canadian law not a US law. Give back the "Radio Delete" option, I do not need endless racket to enjoy my drive. Get rid of the stupid OnStar, I have a cell phone. Make the seating position fit the average person in America, start with a Telescoping wheel that actually moves out far enough so that you don't have to jam your knees into the dash to reach it. There is enough power, there is too much weight.
Assume that everyone bought the car to drive the bejesus out of it, put decent wheel bearings and brakes on it and get rid of the steering wheel controls. Guess what? Some people can drive and need zero electronic aids to hustle a car around. Make at least one model with low weight and none of these idiotic electronic "Enhancements", no power locks windows or seats, something like a 1LE package...
Try not to hire the guy again that styled the Mitsubishi 3000 so that the car will look a bit better. Maybe Pinninfarina or Bertone could help here. The C5 is so much nicer to look at than the C6 that I am waiting until the C7 to buy a new car. Please don't let the guy who did the horrible new Camaro into the room

Quick Reply: What do you NOT want in a C7?