Sponsored by:

Split Window in 2013?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:46 PM
my_blue_c5
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
I don't think there's any regulation requiring view through a rear window. As I understand it, if you have a right-side rear-view mirror, you don't need ANY visibility out a back window.
You don't.
If I remember right, it was either a Lotus or a Lamborghini that has NO rear window, it is completely covered, and passed all regulations. As far as I know, your correct. As long as you have two door mirrors (and, if I remember right, you still must have a rear view mirror whether or not you have a rear window.. odd) it is legal.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:17 AM
tomc8at
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C6roadster
THAT, GENTLEMEN, IS THE FUTURE OF CORVETTE. IF ANYONE CAN'T SEE IT, YOUR HEAD IS WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE!
They can make that rear window all glass,
and do a see through tint to make it look solid.

does anyone know why there is a grove in the middle
of the roof? I do.... winner gets a round the world vacation for 25... lol
Old 09-21-2009, 11:14 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Good god that would be horrible. The split window was a bad idea from the get go. Now with current technology, there'd NEVER be a reason to do it. Ever. Why would you obstruct your view on purpose?! LOL

Split window FTL!
Oh come on...they could implement a state of the art LCD panel with rear facing cameras to construct the image...would magically eliminate the blind spot from driver's position...

Don't know if this could be done, but would be a cool solution...
Old 09-22-2009, 06:16 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by PaceThis
Oh come on...they could implement a state of the art LCD panel with rear facing cameras to construct the image...would magically eliminate the blind spot from driver's position...

Don't know if this could be done, but would be a cool solution...
GM spend money they don't have to?!?! HAHAHA! I haven't had a good laugh today. Thanks for that!
Old 09-22-2009, 09:26 PM
C5 Tweaker
Racer

Noooooooo!!......

That concept is retro-freakin' UGLY, and if nearly any artistic aspect of it (especially the split window) makes it to production, this would probably be the end of my vette purchases. Many of the home "photo-chops" look better than that. That thing makes the Nissan GT-R look good.

I was impressed with the inboard coil-overs and driver-assist tech though.

Does a Lamborghini or Ferrari need to have overwhelming retro styling cues to visually retain its heritage - I think not, but they are some of the most beautiful and distinctively-branded cars on the road.

I think those that desire any retro cues share a minority opinion. It is certainly not for me at least.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:51 PM
usroute66 MKW
Pro

Originally Posted by C5 Tweaker

Does a Lamborghini or Ferrari need to have overwhelming retro styling cues to visually retain its heritage - I think not, but they are some of the most beautiful and distinctively-branded cars on the road.

Every Lambo has looked like a "Countach" since 1971.

Have you seen that horrific amalgamation of every Ferrari styling cue of the past 50 years that they call the new " California " ?

It's called " know (and pander to ) your customer " and for many sports car makers' 30 year old marketing folks who want to keep their jobs , the money to buy these cars are most often found in people who were kids in the 60s and 70s .
Old 09-22-2009, 11:13 PM
02MillenniumVette
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by usroute66 MKW
Every Lambo has looked like a "Countach" since 1971.

Have you seen that horrific amalgamation of every Ferrari styling cue of the past 50 years that they call the new " California " ?

It's called " know (and pander to ) your customer " and for many sports car makers' 30 year old marketing folks who want to keep their jobs , the money to buy these cars are most often found in people who were kids in the 60s and 70s .
Too bad the Countach didnt come out until '74. And Im not sure what your smoking but the Countach and Murcielago look nothing alike.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:10 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

That's not true! They both have doors and 4 wheels!

Every designer has their style. That doesn't mean that every car looks alike. It just means that you can tell when another car was designed by that same designer!

Lambo doesn't retain the looks they have for any reason other than the design they have works very well. They're well balanced, not overly flashy, aerodynamic and very functional.

They have progressed. Corvette needs to progress too. There's absolutely NO reason to have a split window, so there's no reason it should have one.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:32 AM
usroute66 MKW
Pro

Originally Posted by 02MillenniumVette
Too bad the Countach didnt come out until '74. And Im not sure what your smoking but the Countach and Murcielago look nothing alike.
Gandini designed the Countach in 1971 , years before production as is always the case of course . He also did the
Diablo
Espada
Jarama
Miura and
Urraco .
I started collecting Countach memoribilia in 1975 on a lark while in college and eventually built up a huge collection of all things Countach - even bottles of cologne in Countach shaped bottles !
Every Lambo since has had the same trapezoidal hood, trapezoidal front glass-heck- trapezoidal everything and if you can't see that even in something as current as the Murcielago ...
Old 09-23-2009, 01:17 PM
02MillenniumVette
Race Director

Gandini designed the Countach in 1971 , years before production as is always the case of course . He also did the
Diablo
Espada
Jarama
Miura and
Urraco .
I started collecting Countach memoribilia in 1975 on a lark while in college and eventually built up a huge collection of all things Countach - even bottles of cologne in Countach shaped bottles !
Every Lambo since has had the same trapezoidal hood, trapezoidal front glass-heck- trapezoidal everything and if you can't see that even in something as current as the Murcielago ...
I know when it was designed but it wasnt produced until '74. Your last sentence is the dumbest thing Ive heard in awhile. Thats like saying all Corvettes look the same since '53, or do you want to say '51 since thats when it was first desgined , because the hood opens the same way on all of them. Of course they are going to have similar design cues but that doesnt mean they look the same.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:38 PM
usroute66 MKW
Pro

To sell a non -essential product like the very few iconic sports cars with 35-50 year run * , every designer has to hue to the legacy of the brand , so they are all in a way forever " trapped " into a heritage look , with some reference to what came before .
If any of you armchair car designers were charged with 100% free reign designing the next * 911, Corvette, top scissor door Lambo, mid-engine V8 Ferrari , knowing your company will spend millions in development, tooling and you must design it for maximum sales for the brands intended buyer , I suspect your management team- accepted " dream " designs will end up looking pretty much the same for each brand.

Best current example : the new Camaro looks like a 60s one and not like the more " modern" fighter jet bird-beak mullet-head one of the early 90s.

It a business, and a rough one at that .

Last edited by usroute66 MKW; 09-23-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:13 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I find the new Camaro to be the least successful retro-update ponycar. The Challenger is best, followed closely by the Mustang (which needs a notchback model too!).

I have almost gotten used to the front end.

From the side, they were trying for the Chrysler 300 skinny-window look but chopped it way too far, making the body too fat for the roofline.

And why the weird-shaped taillights? They make the rear look like a '73 Javelin!
Old 09-23-2009, 05:48 PM
02MillenniumVette
Race Director

Best current example : the new Camaro looks like a 60s one and not like the more " modern" fighter jet bird-beak mullet-head one of the early 90s.
You do know that GM was trying to make it look like the first gen. Camaro right?

Originally Posted by sub006
I find the new Camaro to be the least successful retro-update ponycar. The Challenger is best, followed closely by the Mustang (which needs a notchback model too!).
Yea and thats why the 5th gen. Camaro is outselling the new Mustang and Challenger.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:35 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

I'm all fine and dandy with the new Vette takes some design cues off the older Vettes, but there's no reason to take one off every generation. How about just a couple off the latest previous generation instead of design concepts (or flaws) off the earliest generations. I think the split-window is a flaw. It impedes your vision of what's behind you. And there's no reason for it at all.

I don't think the Corvette should look retro at all. Corvette has always been an icon of advanced technology in performance at an affordable price. Now it's going to be a shining example of how little creativity Americans have for designing cars.

Yes, Ferrari remade the 250 California, but that's not the only car they're producing. All of their serious performance cars are progressing instead of going retro. 355, 360, 430, etc... The 430 looks nothing like the 308, but they both look like Ferraris, so they not? As the years have gone on, they've progressed their design to something better each and every time.

Lamborghini's 670-4 looks nothing like their 500, but still looks like a Lamborghini. They went to a more efficient better functional design. That's all there is to it. Stop going retro and move on.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:25 AM
ST Graveyard
Instructor

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
I'm all fine and dandy with the new Vette takes some design cues off the older Vettes, but there's no reason to take one off every generation. How about just a couple off the latest previous generation instead of design concepts (or flaws) off the earliest generations. I think the split-window is a flaw. It impedes your vision of what's behind you. And there's no reason for it at all.

I don't think the Corvette should look retro at all. Corvette has always been an icon of advanced technology in performance at an affordable price. Now it's going to be a shining example of how little creativity Americans have for designing cars.

Yes, Ferrari remade the 250 California, but that's not the only car they're producing. All of their serious performance cars are progressing instead of going retro. 355, 360, 430, etc... The 430 looks nothing like the 308, but they both look like Ferraris, so they not? As the years have gone on, they've progressed their design to something better each and every time.

Lamborghini's 670-4 looks nothing like their 500, but still looks like a Lamborghini. They went to a more efficient better functional design. That's all there is to it. Stop going retro and move on.
I still disagree, but I think it is a matter of taste ...
I also don't understand why retro design cues are a step backwards. You can have a "retro" design using latest technology, least windresistance ... everything ...
For me personally the split is not something that has to be there and I understand the negative comments regarding this. However, I do think the new prototype looks amazing, oozes Corvette and just looks bad ***. The side view is so much better than everything Chevy has done in the last 30 years. And even though it is considered 'retro', I do think it looks futuristic. Just look at the pics of the car with the hood and doors open. It's almost an eagle.

This being said, I absolutely love the new Camaro and think it is by far the best looking pony of these days.

Ferrari on the other hand might have progressed in some peoples opinions, but I think they have created some seriously boring cars in the past 20 years. Look at the 90's ferrari's. Where are the days those cars were on posters in Bedrooms? They created something wicked with the Enzo, and the 599GTB is very nice, but that's about it. A bit like the C4 - C5 - C6 ... Yes it is a progress, but really nothing special. Nice cars, good cars ... special? no.

And yes, after seeing the countach and the other lambo's, they do look very much a like, slight progress.
And no, Vettes of the 50's do not look like vettes of these days and I don't think that was what the guy was trying to say ...

So my conclusion is that I think it is time that 'The ONLY American sportscar' starts looking special again, takes peoples breath away. Like with the introduction of the C2 and C3. And I think when seeing the new proto, Chevy might be able to do something different ...

Cheers,
Maarten
Old 09-24-2009, 06:25 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

OK... Not be rude, but there is more than 1 American Sports car. One of which is my favorite sports car ever built, the Viper!

Ever watch Back to the Future II? Notice all the cars they have in the future are cars we had in the early 90's except with body kits and slight modifications... Ford Probes, Firebirds, etc...

To me, the Stingray Concept looks like just that; they took a old car (the Stingray, obviously) and tried to make it look futuristic.

Personally, I think the C5 is the best looking Corvette ever. The C6 is nice and I miss my C4. But the C5 simply looks better IMO. It's extremely aerodynamic while maintaining a "I'm going to beat you up, but with class while I'm doing it" type look.

I don't think the new Camaro looks bad, but I don't think it looks great. I like the new Challenger more, but that's because I always loved the old Challenger. When it comes to American Muscle, I think it's OK not to be sleek and aerodynamic. The idea of a muscle car was to put a giant motor in a small car and it wouldn't need to be aerodynamic to be fast.

But the Corvette isn't a muscle car. It's a sports car. And it's progress should be just that... Progress. I think the Stingrays will always be a classic car and will always have a place in my heart and I really do love them. But I don't think bringing it back is a good idea and it should DEFINITELY not look like that. Sure, some things about it are nice, and maybe a Mako Shark front end would be nice... But it shouldn't look like a C3... Period.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:11 AM
ST Graveyard
Instructor

Ok, understood.

Well, my favorite Corvette is obviously the C3 (chrome bumper) so guess that's why I'm so excited by the new car ...

Also, about the 'the ONLY sportscar ...' remark I was referring to the famous Corvette tagline always used in commercials ...

Vipers are indeed beautifull and mean machines. Love them as well.

Cheers,
Maarten

Get notified of new replies

To Split Window in 2013?

Old 09-24-2009, 08:59 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

LOL! I guess I'm too young to know that tag line.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:42 PM
BacaBill
Racer

My wife Emailed me this link earlier today,,, definitely worth the look,,,

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/chic...ial-concept/#2

Baca
Old 09-25-2009, 09:01 PM
02MillenniumVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by BacaBill
My wife Emailed me this link earlier today,,, definitely worth the look,,,

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/chic...ial-concept/#2

Baca

There are numerous threads on here already about the StingRay concept.

Quick Reply: Split Window in 2013?