C7 design still not decided, needs to appeal to younger buyers

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 01:40 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

Default C7 design still not decided, needs to appeal to younger buyers

Automotive News, March 8, 2010

GENEVA -- For the first time, General Motors Co. studios across the world have submitted design studies for the next-generation Chevrolet Corvette.

Late last year, Ed Welburn, GM's vice president of global design, invited GM's 10 styling studios to submit design proposals.

Some "were absolutely phenomenal," Welburn said. "There is a lot to pick from. The direction that we take is very important, and the decision has not been made."

Global input on the Corvette's design is one of several steps GM is taking to attract buyers in Europe, where the car has little appeal, and young U.S. buyers who favor imports.

"We have challenges in the States with the Corvette," Welburn said in an interview at the Geneva auto show. "The average age of the customer is really rising."

The current average age of a Corvette buyer is 54, according to the Power Information Network, a unit of J.D. Power and Associates.

Corvette sales are in a tailspin. Last year 13,934 were sold in the United States, down 48 percent from 2008.

The current Corvette debuted in the 2005 model year. Prices range from $49,880 for the base coupe to $107,830 for the ZR-1. Both prices include shipping.

A redesign is due in two to three years, industry sources say.

Corvette critics often cite the sports car's size, saying it looks big. They also point to what they say is a cheap-looking interior.

Welburn admitted the interior has a problem: "The execution, materials selection -- it's got to be a much better interior. Our customers desire that."

Welburn said today's Corvette is about the same size as the Porsche 911, but the styling makes it look bigger. "We have to develop a design that feels trimmer, meaner, to go along with the incredible performance that the car has," he said.

In addition to styling, content, pricing and marketing strategy are under discussion, he said.

"It is a key time in the development of the Corvette," Welburn said. "There is a lot of debate and a lot of study on the bandwidth of Corvette."

But, he added, "It can't mutate into something that gets so far away from Corvette that it is no longer a Corvette."
Old 03-08-2010, 01:15 PM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's a link: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2010...#ixzz0hayDg19k

Looks like you "interior junkies" are going to be happy.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:15 PM
C6R
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please don't make it look smaller! I love the wide and low stance!

To do well in Europe they have to up the interior. The leaf springs are also something that people here perceive as backwards. (although a leaf spring equipped Corvette still kicks a lot of over-engineered and expensive euro butt)

Hope we get to see some of the design studies before 2012!
Old 03-08-2010, 04:14 PM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

These pics were on autoblog...

But, as slow as i am they probly already been posted a dozen times (If so, sorry) LOL.

Last edited by jr3; 03-08-2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:14 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

GM trying to make the corvette appeal to young people and Europeans? Damn, GM really does stand for Government Motors.

I like the size of the current car. I do like the idea of improving the interior, though the current car is not bad. And i don't want an upgraded interior at the expense of styling or performance.

It's obvious the reason corvette sales are "in a tailspin". For many people it's an expensive car. Plus the economy sucks, DUH! Hopefully this article is pure BS or smoke and mirrors.

Otherwise, and if the concept is any indication, the C6 is probably the last Corvette i will own.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GM really does stand for Government Motors.
Nope---stands for GROSS MIS-MANAGEMENT
Old 03-08-2010, 10:32 PM
thebrander
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by z edge
GM trying to make the corvette appeal to young people and Europeans? Damn, GM really does stand for Government Motors.

I like the size of the current car. I do like the idea of improving the interior, though the current car is not bad. And i don't want an upgraded interior at the expense of styling or performance.

It's obvious the reason corvette sales are "in a tailspin". For many people it's an expensive car. Plus the economy sucks, DUH! Hopefully this article is pure BS or smoke and mirrors.

Otherwise, and if the concept is any indication, the C6 is probably the last Corvette i will own.
Hey z edge: GO POKES!!!

At least we agree on the best car, right?
Old 03-09-2010, 12:07 AM
Silver05GTO
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

What a contradiction!?!

They add the Grand Sport to ignite lagging vettes sales because the widebody look is really loved on the C6.....yet Ed Welburn states here the wide look of the vette is a problem!!!!!! Lmao

Hmm, GM probably figures they can do something with the now defunct Solstice/Sky platform and use it's smaller/trimmer underpinnings to be the basis for the C7.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:20 AM
ST Graveyard
Instructor

Originally Posted by z edge
I think what they are trying to say with making it attractive to younger people is the following. Most of the Vette buyers are around 40-50 years old. At this age, people have earned enough money to buy an expensive car. Why do these people buy this car? Because they loved the corvettes from their youth. But it was not affordable back then for them. Now they have the money, and they buy the american dream car.
However, these days, a C6 hasn't got by far and away the same impact as a stingray C2 had in the 60's when they were young (The C2 was a more radical design for its days, it was something special - The C6 is a beautiful car, but nothing special).
So I guess what GM is trying to say is that they want to make it attractive (a dream car - a bedroom poster car) again so they still have their core audience (40 + of age) in 10 - 20 years from now.

Last edited by ST Graveyard; 03-09-2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:24 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....

Originally Posted by ST Graveyard
I think what they are trying to say with making it attractive to younger people is the following. Most of the Vette buyers are around 40-50 years old. At this age, people have earned enough money to buy an expensive car. Why do these people buy this car? Because they loved the corvettes from their youth. But it was not affordable back then for them. Now they have the money, and they buy the american dream car.
However, these days, a C6 hasn't got by far and away the same impact as a stingray C2 had in the 60's when they were young (The C2 was a more radical design for its days, it was something special - The C6 is a beautiful car, but nothing special).
So I guess what GM is trying to say is that they want to make it attractive (a dream car - a bedroom poster car) again so they still have their core audience (40 + of age) in 10 - 20 years from now.
wow....
Old 03-09-2010, 07:25 PM
z edge
Race Director

Originally Posted by thebrander
Hey z edge: GO POKES!!!

At least we agree on the best car, right?

yeah we'll have to agree on the car i guess
Old 03-09-2010, 10:47 PM
ZR1Gerhardt
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

GM has to find away to attract more people to the car and build a future market. GM has already had a line make the same stuff for years to satisfy the same customers until they all died and it was called Buick. Thank God they resurrected that name and now make decent cars again, however, it took a lot of time and money and they almost had to get rid of the Buick name.

Corvette will not continue if they can only sell 14,000 units. Yes the economy does have an impact on this. But remember their average customer age is 54. These people will not be buying alot of corvettes in another 10 years when it becomes to hard to get in and out of small sports cars.

Don't be shocked to see a C7 that looks smaller and has a Turbo V6, yes it is still on the table for development. Change is a good thing, embrace it.

Scott
Old 03-09-2010, 11:30 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

To make the car more attractive to younger buyers, they need to do one of two things:

Cut the price in half.
or
Double the price.

It's not expensive enough to be exotic -- us successful shlubs can afford one, and that drags down the image of the car.

But it's too expensive to be an attainable sports car, and its lack of a back seat or any pretense of suit-wearing seriousness strikes it from consideration by many up-and-comers.

But all this is a smokescreen, appeasement to investors, demonstration of due diligence. In hindsight they'll say "we looked at all the directions we could take Corvette, we ran the numbers, and in the end staying the course showed the most profit potential and the biggest halo effect."
Old 03-10-2010, 03:13 AM
ST Graveyard
Instructor

Originally Posted by ZR1Gerhardt

Don't be shocked to see a C7 that looks smaller and has a Turbo V6, yes it is still on the table for development. Change is a good thing, embrace it.

Scott
Thank you. Finally somebody who gets the picture. The whole 'I don't wanna change' attitude is what dragging the USA into bankruptcy in the end ...
Old 03-10-2010, 10:07 AM
ZR1Gerhardt
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Thank you. Finally somebody who gets the picture. The whole 'I don't wanna change' attitude is what dragging the USA into bankruptcy in the end ...
Your welcome. Change might not always be wanted, but sometimes it is necessary.

Two things regarding the Corvette market.

1. The average age of a buyer is 54. My Dad has owned several corvettes in his life, but he is now 65. I doubt he would ever buy another new one. In fact, he has graduated into a new CTS-V. It is much easier to get in and out of, and it is much more refined. He is just an example of what happens to most people as they get older. Body and tastes change. So you adapt your car purchasing decisions.

As this generation gets older and another 10 years or so passes, who is going to make up the majority of the new corvette market? GM is trying to decide this as we speak. I think the first clue as to direction is to create a worldwide demand but having all design centers contribute designs from around the world. Do you think the Europeans will submit a big V8 RWD design? I doubt it.

2. I think in this new world, post-recession, you are going to have less people able to buy a Corvette at current prices. Credit is not going to flow as easily as it did prior to the recession. You are not going to be able to see average people be able to take out $60K plus in car loans. So in order for Corvette to be obtainable by more people, it has to become somewhat more affordable. GM wants to sell 30-35K in Corvettes every year. Current pricing and economic conditions have limited that to ~14K.

Don't expect things to go back to the way they were. Our govt. has so many obligations coming due, that your taxes will soon be going up. They must. So don't expect alot of free cash to buy Corvettes.

So GM has a tough decision to make, and the car is going to have to be adapted to fit that new market.

Scott
Old 03-10-2010, 10:25 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,376 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Maybe they should just bring back the Fiero with an aluminum frame and an updated engine and suspension. It is possible to build an inexpensive mid-engined car if you use off the shelf components like front wheel drive packges at the rear.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:09 PM
quimbysr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like Racer X's idea not nessesarily for a Corvette, but for a car in general. Didn't the 4-cyl 4-speed Fiero get something around 40mpg highway? With the aluminum frame, one of the new Ecotec 4s and an overdrive 5 or 6 speed it might get 50. Someone needs to get a Fiero and put the drivetrain out of a turbo Cobalt SS in it, that would be a hoot to drive; maybe if I water my garage it will grow another bay...

Get notified of new replies

To C7 design still not decided, needs to appeal to younger buyers

Old 03-10-2010, 07:04 PM
z edge
Race Director

Originally Posted by ZR1Gerhardt

Scott
Personally i would rather they kill the corvette off for a few years then make the C7 into a little V6 turbo Solestice looking car. Nothing against turbo V6's or Solestices', but this is a VETTE not a ricer!
Old 03-10-2010, 07:13 PM
z edge
Race Director

Hasn't this country been through enough "CHANGE" recently? Okay im kidding of course.

Seriously, the C2 is a great car and im sure i had a poster of one on my wall at some point in my childhood. But calling the C6 "nothing special" is a matter of opinion. I have a lot of friends who would give their left nut to have my car...as is....if they could only afford it. But they cant.

Yet Chevy seems to have no problem selling their Camaros at quite the premium, though not in vette territory, but they have just produced the 100,000 5th Gen Camaro last week. They did this by building a big car that resembled the first gen's, with a big powerful motor too. No compromises on performance or styling.

If GM can figure out a way to market the Corvette to younger folks, like not pricing it in the stratosphere and marketing it for the performance value that it is and also the great gas mileage and cargo room then maybe they would sell more cars. I'm not sure if the new Camaro is stealing any sales from the current C6, but you have to admit the 09 and 10 vettes sales have fell off of a cliff and its ironic that the Camaro went on sale a year ago and also the economy went into a big dump 18 months ago (or more).
Old 03-10-2010, 08:34 PM
xBabyJesus
Heel & Toe

I bought my C6 (used) from a guy who turned around and used my cash to buy a new Camaro. Another friend got a new Camaro too. I think the Camaro is stealing sales from the Corvette big-time. Many of my friends in my age bracket (28-30) would love to have a corvette -- as a toy -- but can't afford it. Others opted to go the Euro or Japan route via BMW 335i/M3 or WRX/Evo.

-John

Quick Reply: C7 design still not decided, needs to appeal to younger buyers