Sponsored by:

Corvette Production moving???

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Tim01Coupe
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Corvette Production moving???

It seems to add up, the Bowling Green facility is aged and run down, GM is not taking care of the extrerior, mowing, painting, cleaning, ect.. Rumors around the plant from reliable sources are that production is moving to Michigan. Line capacity is available here in GM's newest factory, a state-of-the art plant with several lines built for quick changeover, single-shift, low capacity to multiple lines, three shift, high capacity, and inexpensive to run, but expensive to leave idle when you have a plant like Bowling in the middle of the country, and no other factory support or supplying plants nearby, producing one product, 80 units a day. All the engineering, motor building, world headquarters, and more are already here in Michigan (have been). It's a pattern, before GM moves production, they stop taking care of a plant on the outside. Bowling Green looks like hell outside and inside is outdated, old equipment, lighting, heating, ect.. Corvette is the flagship car, it does not look like a flagship plant. You heard it here first, THE CORVETTE PRODUCTION IS MOVING TO LANSING MICHIGAN, DELTA PLANT. That's my prediction. I give it two years, TOPS.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:36 AM
vette54728702
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting... had not heard anything about this rumor. That might be a real bummer for the National Corvette Museum. Didn't Corvette just become the offical sports car of Kentucky?
Old 06-06-2010, 03:05 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Well, Chevy hasn't built a production Corvette in Michigan since the car's inception, why would they start now? Corvette has alwayys been built in the middle of the country.

Why go to the expense to move and build a facility for a low production vehicle? Especially when there is specific, damned expensive tooling for hydroforming the frames in place at BG?

I think the State of Kentucky and Bowling Green would provide what ever incentives necessary to keep the BG plant working. Plus, it has not been too long since the BG plant was the leading quality plant in the GM portfolio.

Michigan should be pushing to get the truck production back from Mexico or the Buick work Opel is building in Europe rather than trying to get a 35,000 unit plant from within the US.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:41 PM
shannanl
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not say the plant is in the "middle of the country" with no suppliers around. Do a little research before you say something like that. There is a reason that UPS is based in Louisville and Fed Ex in Memphis.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:55 PM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

needs to move to Texas. we don't take kindly to Unions!!
Old 06-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Stingraykev
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I hate to say this, but I know of three people which have been transferred from BG to Lancing and Ann Arbor Michigan...
Old 06-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Texas Stinger
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Texas would work, maybe Arlington. Although I'm looking forward to a trip to KY
Old 06-14-2010, 05:06 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Default Impact on design

If the plant moves, does the chassis design change? No more 2-3-2 chassis? Built on a platform common with Camero?
Old 06-19-2010, 11:51 PM
Bat Man
Team Owner

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by shannanl
I would not say the plant is in the "middle of the country" with no suppliers around. Do a little research before you say something like that. There is a reason that UPS is based in Louisville and Fed Ex in Memphis.

No way it moves out of BG. The facility is perfect for a low production car. Not to mention it has a good relationship with KY
Old 06-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In 2010,only 12,000 units produced and the Saturn plant down the road is newer and very vacant.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:18 AM
bigleman
Pro

Didnt they just do a lot of new construction on the NCM?

And they also are planing on a building a couple different tracks on the land they just bought:
http://www.corvettemuseum.com/blog/
Old 06-24-2010, 08:19 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Originally Posted by bigleman
Didnt they just do a lot of new construction on the NCM?

And they also are planing on a building a couple different tracks on the land they just bought:
http://www.corvettemuseum.com/blog/
The NCM is not affiliated with the plant or GM.

It is an independent entity
Old 06-29-2010, 08:52 PM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

I heard that GM was planning on moving the Corvette plant to Spring Hill, Tn. 3 years ago. They'd just dropped 1.5 billion renovating the Saturn facilities, then decided to dump Saturn.(Smart move, huh?) The Saturn plant is suppose to have the latest and greatest paint facilities in the country. Now, it's growing weeds on the roof! I also heard that it was the uaw that put a halt to those plans. Whatever. I don't intend to buy another GM product as long as I live. Thinking my next ride will be the Audi R8.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:05 PM
Fla Corvette
7th Gear

Default 2011 is rolling down the line

We were at the Plant 2 weeks back and the first 2011's were already on the line. The last of the 2010's were being finished as we were there.
One of our club members was picking up his 2010 at the museum.
The tour person told us that the C7 would be out in 2012 or 2013 and that the production would be moved to an as yet unknown location.
Very little difference int the 10 and 11. There is a new color - looks Grey
but they are going to call it Cyber Blue.

We just got our 2010 Crystal Red Grand Sport Friday. - Cool Car.

Larry
Old 06-29-2010, 09:13 PM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Fla Corvette
We were at the Plant 2 weeks back and the first 2011's were already on the line. The last of the 2010's were being finished as we were there.
One of our club members was picking up his 2010 at the museum.
The tour person told us that the C7 would be out in 2012 or 2013 and that the production would be moved to an as yet unknown location.
Very little difference int the 10 and 11. There is a new color - looks Grey
but they are going to call it Cyber Blue.

We just got our 2010 Crystal Red Grand Sport Friday. - Cool Car.

Larry
hi, and welcome. although you post an informative first post I do have to correct you. The new bluish color is called Supersonic Blue. Cyber Grey has been a color since 2009. Enjoy the new car and post some pics in C6 Gen!!!
Old 06-29-2010, 09:20 PM
Fla Corvette
7th Gear

Default New Color

At the time we were there they had not finalized the name for the color.
We heard that one also but the tour guide said the Cyber Blue was in the lead as the new name. Guess we will need to wait to find out what they really call it.
Either way we all thought it looked Grey. Could be just a bunch of old eyes

Larry
Old 06-29-2010, 11:19 PM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Fla Corvette
At the time we were there they had not finalized the name for the color.
We heard that one also but the tour guide said the Cyber Blue was in the lead as the new name. Guess we will need to wait to find out what they really call it.
Either way we all thought it looked Grey. Could be just a bunch of old eyes

Larry
well, it looks like you were talking to an misinformed tour guide. That name has been set since early April and was officially announced at the Bash late in April. There are already 2011s in this color on dealer lots and in driveways.

It does look like a mix between blue and grey.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Production moving???

Old 07-03-2010, 08:09 PM
Fla Corvette
7th Gear

Default Could be

Originally Posted by m48xhp
well, it looks like you were talking to an misinformed tour guide. That name has been set since early April and was officially announced at the Bash late in April. There are already 2011s in this color on dealer lots and in driveways.

It does look like a mix between blue and grey.
It would not be the first time.

Larry
Old 07-16-2010, 04:17 PM
JC7
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim01Coupe
It seems to add up, the Bowling Green facility is aged and run down, GM is not taking care of the extrerior, mowing, painting, cleaning, ect.. Rumors around the plant from reliable sources are that production is moving to Michigan. Line capacity is available here in GM's newest factory, a state-of-the art plant with several lines built for quick changeover, single-shift, low capacity to multiple lines, three shift, high capacity, and inexpensive to run, but expensive to leave idle when you have a plant like Bowling in the middle of the country, and no other factory support or supplying plants nearby, producing one product, 80 units a day. All the engineering, motor building, world headquarters, and more are already here in Michigan (have been). It's a pattern, before GM moves production, they stop taking care of a plant on the outside. Bowling Green looks like hell outside and inside is outdated, old equipment, lighting, heating, ect.. Corvette is the flagship car, it does not look like a flagship plant. You heard it here first, THE CORVETTE PRODUCTION IS MOVING TO LANSING MICHIGAN, DELTA PLANT. That's my prediction. I give it two years, TOPS.
Its gonna happen!
Old 07-16-2010, 10:21 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Can the Delta Plant build and assemble the 2-3-2 chassis?

If not, this means changing the Corvette to a different platform, possibly the Camero. Should that happen, all bets are off as to the weight of the Corvette.

Quick Reply: Corvette Production moving???