Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Report: Next Chevrolet Corvette to get 440-hp 5.5-liter small-block V8

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 06:54 AM
C6-LS2-MN6
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 81 Posts

SMALLER ENGINEYou can spin the RPM's to the stratosphere and make a few more HP to help sales, but the felt TQ of the older LS3 will not be there!

...like always, manufactures brag about HP (claimed 440 here) and better MPG on this new C7 due to a smaller displacement, but no mention of TQ which is what you really feel in driving. This car better be damn light to make me buy it!
Old 07-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I bet the area under the horsepower curve for the new engine combined with appropriate gearing will produce a C7 that's just as much a kick in the pants at around-town speeds as the C6.

I wonder what top speed the base C7 will achieve? As speed increases, weight becomes insignificant and aerodynamics take over. If the C7 gets a skosh narrower that will help; but a skosh shorter (in length) could hurt. When C6 debuted its top speed was 186mph. What's the Grand Sport's top speed today?

.Jinx
Old 07-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,376 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by C6-LS2-MN6
SMALLER ENGINEYou can spin the RPM's to the stratosphere and make a few more HP to help sales, but the felt TQ of the older LS3 will not be there!

...like always, manufactures brag about HP (claimed 440 here) and better MPG on this new C7 due to a smaller displacement, but no mention of TQ which is what you really feel in driving. This car better be damn light to make me buy it!
The big portion greater horsepower per CI would be from direct injection due to greater combustion efficiency. This does not require a cam change or other change that would alter the RPM at which peak torque or horsepower will occur. Some may come from variable valve timing, which would likely make the torque curve broader. It may actually increase low end torque and high end horsepower.

This is an efficiency move. Higher revving with no achitechtual change does not improve fuel efficiency. It decreases it.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Z06X
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Direct injection and E85 will happen for sure. They need to make the push in GT2 ALMS and they've reportedly invested 850million in developing the new engine.

Having tuned and built cars that were E85 capable, I'll tell you that the torque increase is substantial. I'm not saying you'll see 7.0liter torque curves, but it'll be more than is typical for that displacement. It'll be interesting to see what type of internal geometry is used as well. Just cause it's a 327 doesn't mean it'll use the traditional bore/stroke configuration.

GM needs to market the power/weight language. Even Ferrari has said that the future of speed, given gas regulations is going to be through weight reduction, not through ever increasing hp numbers. Cars got hefty after the 80's due to crash testing standards. This is why a 1990 CRX HF will get you 50mpg on the highway all day long and current hybrids don't get it. Safety.

The fact that GM is using carbon technology heavily on the newer cars is a sign that they're moving in that direction. In addition, the ALMS engines are now being done in house, hence why they been blowin up...lol. The fact they are developing this new engine is a good sign for the future in racing. All good things.

If they make that car pictured above though...kiss it all good bye. My bet though is, they're focus is on ALMS and enhancing the car. Some goofy body work won't happen if it isn't doin well in the wind tunnel.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,754 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by C6-LS2-MN6

No replacement for displacement!
Old 07-07-2010, 10:43 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

5.5L=440hp 6.2L=436hp. As far as production cars go that saying went out the window when carbs did. To put it in perspective, the pretty modern Mustang GT engine has 390 lb ft(supposedly a chance of being underrated) and the ls3 has 424. Yet the GT is 1.2 liters smaller, and also is naturally down on torque by being a DOHC. It only made some of the torque back by having variable valve timing. I figure that would easily put the 5.5 liter at around 410 lb-ft in a 150lb lighter car. Sounds like low end grunt to me.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

And you'll still be able to count on your fingers the number of current production engines with more displacement.

And you could have several run-ins with a band saw and still count on your fingers the number of those that are in cars as lightweight as Corvette.

And who knows what 2015 will bring? There's definitely a market (in non-depressed economic conditions, anyway) for an Extra Strength Corvette; what will that be like on the next go-round?

.Jinx
Old 07-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Runge_Kutta
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kubs
3.6L DI VVT (LLT): 304hp@6400rpm, 273 lbs-ft@5200
=84hp/L, 76lbs-ft/L

6.2L LS3: 436hp@5900rpm,428lbs-ft@4600rpm
=70hp/L, 69hp/L

Gen V will have plenty of low-end grunt.

http://archives.media.gm.com/us/powe...T%20Camaro.pdf
http://archives.media.gm.com/us/powe...onvertible.pdf
Old 07-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,376 Likes on 2,067 Posts

It is not just the peak torque, or the rpm of the peak torque, but he shape of the curve. With DI, even with a smaller displacement that shape does not need to change. It is due to higher efficiency of combustion. With VVT the shape of the curve could actually improve.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:48 PM
VetterMan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope GM keeps with decent displacement...
Old 07-19-2010, 07:45 PM
Red99SS
Team Owner

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RIGHT WING TEABAGGER
I don't buy into that garbage. People were using that to predict the end of all muscle cars and that has not and will not happen. We have the Z28 coming out after GM was bailed out. I am sure the Shelby KR when it comes out will be 600hp.
The new Camaro was in development looooong before GM was bought by the government. It was basically done by that point.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:11 PM
PaintballaXX
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Throwing this out there for speculation. What if the bore spacing is the same and the top of the cylinders the same distance from the crank. IE; a de-stroked gen3/4 engine with the technology added on. This would allow the piston to experience less peak acceleration or allow it reach a higher rev limit for those doing mods. In addition, that extra space in the engine would allow someone to say, "put back in" a crank with a 4in stroke for a return to 6 or 7 liter territory. (The thought of a high 6 or 7 liter engine with direct injection makes me salivate.) What an Easter-egg that would be. *Fingers crossed*
Old 07-20-2010, 02:25 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well so you can lick your chops some more. They say that the ls7R led to the ls7, which it did, and a lot of people say the new 5.5 liter in the race cars will carry over to the street car. Just not believing that one since that motor doesnt have vvt or direct injection. However, the one truth is the block in the current race cars is a factory ls7, just with a shorter crank. So the destroked 7 liter becomes 5.5 liters and vice versa, long as everything else stays the same on this new engine. Which means if the ls7 redlined at 7k and was supposedly "reliable to 8k during testing" this new engine probably will be at almost 8k. Bore spacing didnt change from ltx to lsx motors. Odds are it wont change now. No matter what, im impressed.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Chonger
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
Except for technology.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:56 PM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

If Powertrain is building a new engine line, I'd like to see a base of a smaller package 430-450HP V-8 with an improvement in fuel mileage in a lighter car.

Back when they were working on the LS series we saw an internal document that listed the new and upcoming code numbers for the roadmap for LSX development. Sure like to see something like that for the next generation.

Last edited by BuckyThreadkiller; 07-20-2010 at 10:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Report: Next Chevrolet Corvette to get 440-hp 5.5-liter small-block V8