Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Mule Drivetrain Photos

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 02:53 PM
webdzynes
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out the exhaust. Why are the 2 inside pipes flared out while the outside 2 pipes are not? Mean anything?
Old 08-03-2011, 03:03 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by webdzynes
Check out the exhaust. Why are the 2 inside pipes flared out while the outside 2 pipes are not? Mean anything?
decoys?
Old 08-03-2011, 03:17 PM
JQuest54
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by petermj
punishing the states with narrower car because of european constraints sounds super dumb but then again, this is GM. European brands like Ferrari and Lambo do not seem to care, is GM going to market the vette in Europe as a groceries getter and commuter car? why not just slap vette emblems on a smart car? Even current widebody ain't wide enough.
I understand your point but think of the car moving to something like that of the C3 or even the size of a AC cobra. Cobras, with the flares, are "wide" in comparison to their length but not compared to other cars.

Look at the Lamborghini Gallardo. Now we think of them as wide but in reality they are more narrow than a Z06, albeit slightly, 74.8 inches vs. 75.9 respectively. It is all about proportions.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:23 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JQuest54
I understand your point but think of the car moving to something like that of the C3 or even the size of a AC cobra. Cobras, with the flares, are "wide" in comparison to their length but not compared to other cars.

Look at the Lamborghini Gallardo. Now we think of them as wide but in reality they are more narrow than a Z06, albeit slightly, 74.8 inches vs. 75.9 respectively. It is all about proportions.
Cobra is a bad example as a matter of fact because it is an old British car (and British designed all cars for their narrow roads), thus Shelby had to flare it out not to spend money on an actual design, same cheap half **** way the GM designed the widebody cars And no, look at cars like Detomaso Pantera instead
Old 08-03-2011, 04:00 PM
JQuest54
Advanced

Cobra is a bad example as a matter of fact because it is an old British car (and British designed all cars for their narrow roads), thus Shelby had to flare it out not to spend money on an actual design, same cheap half **** way the GM designed the widebody cars And no, look at cars like Detomaso Pantera instead

Yes the original car the cobra was based on was small but when you look at it with the flares and when it is equiped with 345 tires it "looks" wide. The same thing can be said for the grandsport/Z06 vs the base vette. The front and rear fender flares are what really make the difference. You mention the Pantera and say that it is wide when in reality it is more narrow than the base C6. The Pantera comes in at 72 inches while the base C6 comes in at 72.6.

My point is that what makes us think of something as "wide" are the proportions. The pantara, gallardo, and the cobra have short wheelbases compared to their widths. When you put it next to something we think of as not "wide" i.e. the base vette you can see where it actually isn't that wide.

Don't get me wrong I like low and wide sports cars. I am just saying that losing a few inches against the width of a GS/Z06 isn't the end of the world as long as it is done right.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:15 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Yes the original car the cobra was based on was small but when you look at it with the flares and when it is equiped with 345 tires it "looks" wide. The same thing can be said for the grandsport/Z06 vs the base vette. The front and rear fender flares are what really make the difference. You mention the Pantera and say that it is wide when in reality it is more narrow than the base C6. The Pantera comes in at 72 inches while the base C6 comes in at 72.6.

My point is that what makes us think of something as "wide" are the proportions. The pantara, gallardo, and the cobra have short wheelbases compared to their widths. When you put it next to something we think of as not "wide" i.e. the base vette you can see where it actually isn't that wide.

Don't get me wrong I like low and wide sports cars. I am just saying that losing a few inches against the width of a GS/Z06 isn't the end of the world as long as it is done right.
proportions is the key, pantera is about 6 inches lower than the vette and 10 inches shorter... That cobra you keep talking about is 49 inches tall, 61 inches wide and 151 inches long. I hope you can figure out the proportions here. LOL at vette wide body, it is wide only in the middle, the typical GM way, just like the old vettes... As a matter of fact I am in the process of changing this part which is a lot work because I cannot stand looking at exposed tires on my Z06.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Skullbussa
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 76 Posts

The Corvette needs to get narrower. It is not an exotic like a Lambo. The Corvette is a car that will, for many people, be a daily driver. It needs to become a little more practical without sacrificing too much in terms of performance (which it currently has in abundance and nobody would argue).

After they make the car narrower hopefully they can put on some tires that are a little narrower but don't sacrifice too much in terms of grip.

Concessions HAVE to be made to fuel economy, the world market, and utilization. This isn't a bad thing! GM is targeting Porsche and that is exactly what they need to do.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:55 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Skullbussa
The Corvette needs to get narrower. It is not an exotic like a Lambo. The Corvette is a car that will, for many people, be a daily driver. It needs to become a little more practical without sacrificing too much in terms of performance (which it currently has in abundance and nobody would argue).

After they make the car narrower hopefully they can put on some tires that are a little narrower but don't sacrifice too much in terms of grip.

Concessions HAVE to be made to fuel economy, the world market, and utilization. This isn't a bad thing! GM is targeting Porsche and that is exactly what they need to do.
horrible suggestions, you sound like Obama
Old 08-03-2011, 08:22 PM
WesC7
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes....but an even "smaller butt and body" than the C6?? Uggghhhhhhhh.....I for one hope GM doesn't go that way.... My first comment when I saw the C7 spy pics was... omg noooooo, not a slimmer body and smaller butt!!!! If I want a miata I'll go buy one. Ok, maybe I exaggerate a bits....but you get my drift.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:28 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WesC5
Everyone has their own likes and dislikes....but an even "smaller butt and body" than the C6?? Uggghhhhhhhh.....I for one hope GM doesn't go that way.... My first comment when I saw the C7 spy pics was... omg noooooo, not a slimmer body and smaller butt!!!! If I want a miata I'll go buy one. Ok, maybe I exaggerate a bits....but you get my drift.
making it wider from the ground up and lower is the only sensible way. If someone needs an automatic and easy step in, there is cadillac XLR, the vette is already 50 inches tall.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:48 PM
WesC7
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree. Make it a little wider...and if need be (for improved aerodynamics), shorten the height just a bit. I'm 6'....so no problem getting in...but 6'3" and above....might not be as easy/comfortable.

Difficult to tell with the photos but it appears the driver and passenger windows really canter in quite a bit more than present. Giving up shoulder/head room?

The blue covering on the rocker panel......side exhaust for the split window version?? Loved the side exhaust on my '66.... I might have to think seriously about a side exhaust option!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:56 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

I agree. Make it a little wider...and if need be (for improved aerodynamics), shorten the height just a bit. I'm 6'....so no problem getting in...but 6'3" and above....might not be as easy/comfortable.

Difficult to tell with the photos but it appears the driver and passenger windows really canter in quite a bit more than present. Giving up shoulder/head room?

The blue covering on the rocker panel......side exhaust for the split window version?? Loved the side exhaust on my '66.... I might have to think seriously about a side exhaust option!
side exhaust kills aerodynamics plus it is counterproductive, leave it for Rousch mustang crowds. If anything, there may be an air intake there for brake ducting, the old Z06 style since right now, what current vette has is beyond pathetic, including Z06 and ZR1. The car does not need to be widened, just that tucked in look at the bottom should be eliminated. This was OK in a 68 vette but should not be present currently. If you fill in the bottom, you will improve aero and make it look like a real sports car. Dropping this car about 5 inches should be mandatory.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:55 PM
vant
Burning Brakes

side exhaust kills aerodynamics plus it is counterproductive, leave it for Rousch mustang crowds. If anything, there may be an air intake there for brake ducting, the old Z06 style since right now, what current vette has is beyond pathetic, including Z06 and ZR1. The car does not need to be widened, just that tucked in look at the bottom should be eliminated. This was OK in a 68 vette but should not be present currently. If you fill in the bottom, you will improve aero and make it look like a real sports car. Dropping this car about 5 inches should be mandatory.
Quick! Someone notify the Corvette Racing Team of this!

Old 08-03-2011, 10:11 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by vant
Quick! Someone notify the Corvette Racing Team of this!

Lol, got a close up of the cats on this car? I am guessing these are straight dumps vs. street and emissions legal exhaust?
Old 08-04-2011, 12:04 AM
CitationZ06
Heel & Toe

You can drop 60lbs if you dich 4 feet of dual 3 inch over the axel exhaust.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:24 AM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Remember this car is to be sold throughout the world. I lived in the UK for four years and having a wide car there can be quite an experience. Parking, roads, and bridges become much more of an issue with a wide car. My C5 was next to impossible to drive in the countryside on some of the B roads. I wouldn't even think about taking it into London, park and tube it in.

They can narrow the car while making the roofline lower. This would make the proportions the same and give it the wide feel again. The problem will be for the fatter buyers out there. The car will shrink, so should they.
Then eventually we would end up with a Lotus. Make the Vette smaller and lighter, with a smaller engine over and over again and you have nothing near a true Vette. The vast majority of the buyers are in the USA, where lanes and parking spots can fit a Z06 and a half. I think GM should concentrate on appeasing the US buyers before the European buyers who consist of a small percentage of the market share.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:31 AM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

punishing the states with narrower car because of european constraints sounds super dumb but then again, this is GM. European brands like Ferrari and Lambo do not seem to care, is GM going to market the vette in Europe as a groceries getter and commuter car? why not just slap vette emblems on a smart car? Even current widebody ain't wide enough.

lamborghini Gallardo looks tall and narrow, I have never cared for it. Look at the width and height of the lp 640, the true Lambo. Made in Italy, where Italy has some of the smallest roads. Lambo did not skimp of width and mean looks for their roads, the Vette should not either.

Originally Posted by Skullbussa

So why doesn't Corvette just ad a set of back seats for the car seat and 2 sliding doors for the children? The entire point of a Corvette is for the average man to have a mean performing car while sustaining reliability. Not picking the kids up from soccer practice. The width and performance should never be hindered IMHO. I want it faster, lower, wider, meaner, and who cares about fuel economy haha.

horrible suggestions, you sound like Obama

Last edited by Garrett W; 08-04-2011 at 12:34 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Mule Drivetrain Photos

Old 08-04-2011, 01:19 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CitationZ06
You can drop 60lbs if you dich 4 feet of dual 3 inch over the axel exhaust.
Are you saying that side dumping exhaust is weightless? Not to mention the heat and cat packaging issues plus a nice 90 deg angle on each side. You may want to check PM street version of their car, it does not use the side dump exhaust for sure
Old 08-04-2011, 01:33 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Garrett SNA
Then eventually we would end up with a Lotus. Make the Vette smaller and lighter, with a smaller engine over and over again and you have nothing near a true Vette. The vast majority of the buyers are in the USA, where lanes and parking spots can fit a Z06 and a half. I think GM should concentrate on appeasing the US buyers before the European buyers who consist of a small percentage of the market share.
yikes, a vette with a camry motor like lotus? Vette should look imposing and intimidating on the road because it is supposed to be a purpose built car, not making accommodations for people lacking agility or will to actually do some real driving. Not sure why so many insist on castrating the vette instead of just moving on to XLR. In that car, they do not have to do anything. I agree that catering to compact european car crowd is just stupid. Reminds me of Ford trying to pass a 4 cylinder stang as a legitimate muscle car. Things are already bad with a fleet designated vette option. The vette should be 45 inches tall max and about 80 inches wide FROM THE GROUND UP, then this would be a progressive move.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:40 AM
Garrett W
Melting Slicks

yikes, a vette with a camry motor like lotus? Vette should look imposing and intimidating on the road because it is supposed to be a purpose built car, not making accommodations for people lacking agility or will to actually do some real driving. Not sure why so many insist on castrating the vette instead of just moving on to XLR. In that car, they do not have to do anything. I agree that catering to compact european car crowd is just stupid. Reminds me of Ford trying to pass a 4 cylinder stang as a legitimate muscle car. Things are already bad with a fleet designated vette option. The vette should be 45 inches tall max and about 80 inches wide FROM THE GROUND UP, then this would be a progressive move.
Haha yes, scary thought. Cannot stand the lotus. And I like the 45" by 80"

Quick Reply: C7 Mule Drivetrain Photos