Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 09:46 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, gosh... The super cars don't use manuals, why should we?

If you people want to keep bringing up the fact that super cars have DCTs, I'll bring up the fact that Smart cars have an AMT. Who cares what other cars have? We're talking about the Corvette here. If you can can give me a REAL reason based on YOUR use for the car, then I'd shut up about it. But I bet more than half of you know NOTHING about DCTs with paddle shifters let alone have driven one or even been in a car with one.

It's not that I'm against having the option for a DCT, because I'm not. I welcome it. But I just find it ridiculous how many of you guys are asking for it when I just know many of you guys are just asking for things that are found in exotics just because they're in the exotics.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Bakerking31
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

To me the Corvette has always been an affordable sports car that can take it to the best of them on the track and leave on top with a quarter the money spent. There are going to be things about the vette that aren't as sophisticated or as luxurious as the more expensive sports cars but when it comes to performance the vette is king of the hill. It seems to me this is just another thing thats not necessary to spend the extra R&D on, I dont want to say a corvette is a budget car but it kind of is for the performance you get and I think the money would be spent better elsewhere.

Give me a manual transmission on a car with RWD and a strong motor and great suspension and I am happy, the rest are just frills that arent really needed.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:14 AM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

And here's another example of the misunderstanding that the Corvette is competeing with "high end" mega priced super cars.
They have a 600+HP, 200MPH+, $110,000 super car that set one of the fastest 'ring laps for any production car. Like America in WWII, ready or not, with power like that, they're already in the mega priced super car fight.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:50 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by ANTIVNOM
As long as it is a true manual, I'm a buyer. No clutch pedal, no sale. Automatics are boring.
Why does it have to have a clutch pedal to be a manual transmission? You get more performance from direct drive transmissions (like the current MN6) since they transmit more power to the rear wheels but direct drive transmissions no longer require a clutch pedal so why have one? I want my performance itch scratched not somebody's thought of what is a proper manual. The Corvette has always been about performance for the dollar. With Ford Focuses being currently available with DCTs why shouldn't the Corvette have one designed to handle its power and provide that top dog experience? If they provide one why do they need to stick with the old technology of a direct drive transmission with a clutch or an automatic with a torque convertor? If you want manual you push the paddles instead of rowing a shifter around in a console, if you want auto you put it in auto mode and it shifts itself. Goodbye torque convertor, goodby power loss. One transmission does it all.

Originally Posted by Bakerking31
Give me a manual transmission on a car with RWD and a strong motor and great suspension and I am happy, the rest are just frills that arent really needed.
As I just said a DCT is a manual transmission. It just doesn't have a clutch and you shift gears with the paddles Vs a stick in the console. All they are doing is moving the shift mechanism from the console back to the steering column where it was in the 40s and 50s. You just don't have to flop your left foot around on a clutch and can put it to better use left foot braking into a turn.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 12-03-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:53 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Europe has had a much higher take rate on manual transmissions for the last two decades. This recent trend towards DCTs is just that: a recent trend. Also, most lower-end autos purchased in Europe are still manuals. There is still a lot of demand for standard transmissions, regardless of what some would like to believe.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:57 AM
rjwz28
Safety Car

I don't understand how people still don't get this: some people enjoy clutching and moving a shifter. Pulling a paddle or pushing a button isn't enough involvement for these individuals, and I really don't see how it could be.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:38 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,377 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Why does it have to have a clutch pedal to be a manual transmission? You get more performance from direct drive transmissions (like the current MN6) since they transmit more power to the rear wheels but direct drive transmissions no longer require a clutch pedal so why have one? I want my performance itch scratched not somebody's thought of what is a proper manual. The Corvette has always been about performance for the dollar. With Ford Focuses being currently available with DCTs why shouldn't the Corvette have one designed to handle its power and provide that top dog experience? If they provide one why do they need to stick with the old technology of a direct drive transmission with a clutch or an automatic with a torque convertor? If you want manual you push the paddles instead of rowing a shifter around in a console, if you want auto you put it in auto mode and it shifts itself. Goodbye torque convertor, goodby power loss. One transmission does it all.

Bill
You know they build an evolution of the hydraulic automatic transmission that is direct drive. Also the current Corvette is directly coupled in most situations. Don't dis the torque converter, it is a torque multiplier, or didn't you know that? The torque converter could easily be removed and replaced with a clutch, and has been done by Mercedes, I believe. So it is direct coupled, planetary, electrohydraulically shifted transmission versus the ballyhooed direct coupled, helical, electromechnically shifted transmission DCT. They both shift faster than a human can on a consistent basis.

Before you dis planetary transmissions, they are plenty strong. I think you them in Super Stock drag racing, or at least they used. Those were in range of 1600 HP if I recall correctly. They used one lever per gear since that suits their purpose.

There are many ways to skin the gear shifting cat.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I want a gear shifting cat. A cat could shift much faster than I could -- the phrase is "cat-like reflexes" after all.

The Corvette's wide center console makes it well-suited for this technology. Just make a slight recess in the console immediately behind the shifter, give it a little padding (cats like soft surfaces) and trim it with alcantara (for better grip; you don't want your shifter shifting out of place under high cornering loads). Put a sock on the shift **** with a couple of feathers on the sides to engage sport mode for faster shifts. I don't know about skinning the cat, though; for a daily driver you want to maintain decent cold-weather performance.

GM simply must offer this technology in Corvette if it wishes to remain competitive.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:06 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

As I just said a DCT is a manual transmission. It just doesn't have a clutch and you shift gears with the paddles Vs a stick in the console. All they are doing is moving the shift mechanism from the console back to the steering column where it was in the 40s and 50s. You just don't have to flop your left foot around on a clutch and can put it to better use left foot braking into a turn.

Bill

I realize the industry loves to call them manuals, but I beg to differ. Any transmission that can shift itself is an automatic in my book. It may not have a torque converter, but it can still shift itself. Even when you "manually" shift it using the paddles, it is still a highly automated process involving lots of electronics to get it all done. There's no challenge to matching the revs, getting the gear selector in the right slot and so forth. I can't think of anything more totally boring. There is also a LOT more to go wrong, and the repairs when it does can be quite painful. Ask anyone that has ever had to have one of BMW's SMG transnissions serviced out of warranty.

I have no objections to them making DCT type transmissions available to those that don't mind being bored, but if I can't have a proper manual, I won't buy the car, period.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:16 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Old 12-05-2011, 01:04 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ANTIVNOM
I realize the industry loves to call them manuals, but I beg to differ. Any transmission that can shift itself is an automatic in my book. It may not have a torque converter, but it can still shift itself. Even when you "manually" shift it using the paddles, it is still a highly automated process involving lots of electronics to get it all done. There's no challenge to matching the revs, getting the gear selector in the right slot and so forth. I can't think of anything more totally boring. There is also a LOT more to go wrong, and the repairs when it does can be quite painful. Ask anyone that has ever had to have one of BMW's SMG transnissions serviced out of warranty.

I have no objections to them making DCT type transmissions available to those that don't mind being bored, but if I can't have a proper manual, I won't buy the car, period.

Although, if they don't offer a manual (which they certainly WILL offer one), I would look for alternatives that tickle my pickle. And if I didn't find a decent alternative, I'd still end up buying the Vette with the DCT.

However, I can't fathom driving an exciting car without a manual gear box.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:49 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert R1
Get me a well done paddle shifter and I'm in. No more manual for me. Being able to left foot brake is much more desirable for me than manually banging through the gears.
Read the Vette Mar 2012 issue on the 2012 Auto transmission upgrade for faster shifts (65%) faster 1-2, 2-3, 3-4
GM has a patent on this new upgrade. It's a good read.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:37 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Mmmm. If you want a proper sequential transmission like the ones found in race cars in your street Vette, expect to pay $15 to $100 grand. There are a few driving around.

Pratt and Miller working in conjunction with Chevrolet have a pretty neat bolt on system that will give you pretty much what the Ferrari 458 has. You paddle shift and don't use the clutch peddle except for launch and stop.

A highly developed similar system is the most likely method that Chevy will use on the C7 gearbox. There will be two pedals on the floor in this case. Two electronically controlled electric motors will actuate pull/push rods for the under and over drive gear set shift forks. 4th will still be a solid coupling even with a 7 speed which will be in the over drive gear sets. There will be 3 under and 3 over. The clutch is fine as it is. Why doesn't corvette have a dual clutch??? I'll get to it later. Ferrari uses hydraulics to do this job which requires a full time pump located on the rear subframe next to the gearbox. There is no reason why Chevy can't make this electro mechanical linkaged gearbox automatic. You know when Chevy makes it, it will be built proof and refined. I have no faith in German engineering in this regard. No cars can be thrashed like Corvettes, period

Ferrari and Corvette GTE race cars use the X-Trac Xaxle and straight gearboxes respectively. Here is street version for your Vette by Emco.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...6lgmotor.jpg/][/URL]

Unlike the production cars which use transmission that we are familiar with, these sequential units can't go from 4th to 2nd and 3th to 5th, etc. They have ratchet drum shifting mechanisms like motor cycles. They are lighter and stronger and can be shifted faster. The only reason F1 gearboxes are not smaller is because of the rules for materials and gear thickness. F1 car use dry carbon clutches. Sequential gearboxes are made by X-Trac, Hewland, Colotti, Getrag and Emco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQErOpNCshA

These gearboxes make a lot of nice noises which most people don't like. Pre 93 ZF gearboxes used on Corvette 6 speeds had to be changed because the dumb f..s complained about the noise. The torque rating was revised downward as a result. DFs don't know the beautiful songs of the Muncie M21 and 22s.

Also, the seems to be a misunderstanding about dual clutch gearboxes. Instead of the Ferrari and Corvette systems described above, one clutch operates under gears and the other operates the over gears each on their own concentric input shaft. Both clutches are motor cycle type multi disc wet packs. They have oil pumping losses. Give me a locking torque converter any time for my comfort.
Porsche:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...getriebe.png/][/URL]

There are many different designs ranging from epi cyclic(planetary) to splitter ratios found in class 8 truck Xmissions. Nothing is new. Italian and English armored vehicles had these type trannies in WWII.
BMW:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...leclutch.gif/][/URL]

Borg Warner makes most of the hydraulic ECMs along with straight and Xaxle Xmissions. FIAT Powertrain Technologies makes DCT for Magnetti Morelli and Graziano and all these companies have joint ventures. They all have American stock holders.

Last edited by Shaka; 01-06-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 01-06-2012, 05:20 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
Mmmm. If you want a proper sequential transmission like the ones found in race cars in your street Vette, expect to pay $15 to $100 grand. There are a few driving around.

Pratt and Miller working in conjunction with Chevrolet have a pretty neat bolt on system that will give you pretty much what the Ferrari 458 has. You paddle shift and don't use the clutch peddle except for launch and stop.

A highly developed similar system is the most likely method that Chevy will use on the C7 gearbox. There will be two pedals on the floor in this case. Two electronically controlled electric motors will actuate pull/push rods for the under and over drive gear set shift forks. 4th will still be a solid coupling even with a 7 speed which will be in the over drive gear sets. There will be 3 under and 3 over. The clutch is fine as it is. Why doesn't corvette have a dual clutch??? I'll get to it later. Ferrari uses hydraulics to do this job which requires a full time pump located on the rear subframe next to the gearbox. There is no reason why Chevy can't make this electro mechanical linkaged gearbox automatic. You know when Chevy makes it, it will be built proof and refined. I have no faith in German engineering in this regard. No cars can be thrashed like Corvettes, period

Ferrari and Corvette GTE race cars use the X-Trac Xaxle and straight gearboxes respectively. Here is street version for your Vette by Emco.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...6lgmotor.jpg/][/URL]

Unlike the production cars which use transmission that we are familiar with, these sequential units can't go from 4th to 2nd and 3th to 5th, etc. They have ratchet drum shifting mechanisms like motor cycles. They are lighter and stronger and can be shifted faster. The only reason F1 gearboxes are not smaller is because of the rules for materials and gear thickness. F1 car use dry carbon clutches. Sequential gearboxes are made by X-Trac, Hewland, Colotti, Getrag and Emco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQErOpNCshA

These gearboxes make a lot of nice noises which most people don't like. Pre 93 ZF gearboxes used on Corvette 6 speeds had to be changed because the dumb f..s complained about the noise. The torque rating was revised downward as a result. DFs don't know the beautiful songs of the Muncie M21 and 22s.

Also, the seems to be a misunderstanding about dual clutch gearboxes. Instead of the Ferrari and Corvette systems described above, one clutch operates under gears and the other operates the over gears each on their own concentric input shaft. Both clutches are motor cycle type multi disc wet packs. They have oil pumping losses. Give me a locking torque converter any time for my comfort.
Porsche:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...getriebe.png/][/URL]

There are many different designs ranging from epi cyclic(planetary) to splitter ratios found in class 8 truck Xmissions. Nothing is new. Italian and English armored vehicles had these type trannies in WWII.
BMW:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...leclutch.gif/][/URL]

Borg Warner makes most of the hydraulic ECMs along with straight and Xaxle Xmissions. FIAT Powertrain Technologies makes DCT for Magnetti Morelli and Graziano and all these companies have joint ventures. They all have American stock holders.
I think you will find that DSGs in German cars are well developed and proven and can be thrased and shifts very fast. They have been around for a long time and Ive had 2 with them and never had any problems or loud noises and they shift insanly fast. This again is from a guy that had 2 German DSGs and now the vette auto. The vette auto doesnt even compare when it comes to how fast it shifts.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:51 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Porsches seem to be winning great reviews by press tests.

GM would be wise to follow suit
Old 01-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Porsches seem to be winning great reviews by press tests.

GM would be wise to follow suit
If you make such a 'wise' statement, Shirley you must be able to argue your points with some juicy tid bits of sound engineering solutions to back it up?

I guarantee I'll knock it to pieces on every count you make. You can start by listing your design objectives which must include cost. Compare that with what you already have and what you can improve.

A Porsche has a trans-axle, a Corvette does not. Begin your thesis now.

You are not one of those liberal types who want us to become Europeans, are you? Nah.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:31 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Shaka
If you make such a 'wise' statement, Shirley you must be able to argue your points with some juicy tid bits of sound engineering solutions to back it up?

I guarantee I'll knock it to pieces on every count you make. You can start by listing your design objectives which must include cost. Compare that with what you already have and what you can improve.

A Porsche has a trans-axle, a Corvette does not. Begin your thesis now.

You are not one of those liberal types who want us to become Europeans, are you? Nah.
I'm not going to argue with you. I have been driving manuals for over 30 years. I love my 2008 C6 Z51 M6 with NPP ..I really do. And my c5 Z06 before this.

That said...I would prefer to purchase my next corvette with a Dual clutch or MCT transmission. I am sure if GM were to offer either of these transmissions they would still offer you a manual transmission so you can enjoy..

I have times were in my personal life as I use my corvette everyday in the Northeast where my life would be better with a dual clutch or MCT transmission.

I wouldn't attempt to argue with you but rather just let you know what I believe would be a better option..

That option would be to offer both types of transmissions so enthusiasts such as your self can still be tempted into buying a new corvette.

For me? I prefer the efficiency and consistency as well as the option of a full automatic mode when I am in situations that would make it more sensible. (for me)

Like I said...I don't use my car as a weekend toy. I use it everyday. Rain snow or shine. I use it when it suits me and I am of the type who prefers to enjoy the vehicles I own...

I've done the drag racing at englishtown...I've done the road course driver events at pocono...I've done decades of autox...I also drive into manhattan ..

for a person like myself and I feel there are many corvette owners like me....the DSG or the MCT (amg) transmission in the next corvette would make for a wonderful enticing option..

Porsche acceleration seems to prove the point..the pDK chrono versions are faster than the manual version.. in all acceleration tests..

Thats just a fact..

Have a nice evening and please know I respect your choice for a manual transmission if thats what you desire.

Please consider offering me the same courtesy with regards of a preference for a DSG or MCT in a corvette..

Its better than argueing...point counter point...

Happy holidays

Last edited by JerriVette; 01-07-2012 at 11:35 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 transmission

Old 01-09-2012, 01:42 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

If the C7 is offered with a DCT, that may be the route I go. Otherwise, I'm sticking with a standard. I don't like regular automatics at all.

I took a ride in a smart car as well, and that has to be the worst transmission I've ever had the unfortunate experience with. It almost makes you sea-sick. That's not a win for the automatic manuals. But as long as there's a fully automatic mode in with a DCT in the Corvette, I'd be happy with it.

It looks like I may be taking a new job that requires me to actually leave my house and battle LA traffic every morning. So this would be the time I feel an auto is a good thing for me. I've driven manuals for so long since I've always worked from home, but the times I have to deal with Los Angeles traffic are the times I just want to kill myself.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:03 AM
AMGPilot
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the 7 speed automatic in our Mercedes SLK55 AMG.

I think GM should take a look at Mercedes transmissions to figure out how to make a proper Automatic.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:58 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

The smart car had a single clutch and was a horrible car overall..The new 911 has the dual clutch technology that leads the way. Same with ferrari and its rumored the Audi R8 will dump the old tech single clutch and go for a dual clutch soon..

This technology is leading the drivers revolution. I think corvette should offer this yet with GM being the largest manufacturer of the worlds best torque convertor automatics...I tend to think GM will be late to the party.

I'd be pleasantly surprised to see either DCT or MCT in the first year C7...maybe down the road for the C7 but probably C8 will be the model to recieve dual clutch technology.

GM tends to look at empirical data and the true benefit of DCT is more along the lines of direct feel that places it above a torque convertor automatic..

I say if its good enough for ferrari, porsche, BMW, Audi, bugatti and the list goes on...

Its time for GM to step up to the plate with this technology for corvette.

I'm not quite sure the tech would transfer to the truck lineup which many of what corvette benefits are to the corporation is about...so we've got a bit of a wait for the DCT or so its been rumored..

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
If the C7 is offered with a DCT, that may be the route I go. Otherwise, I'm sticking with a standard. I don't like regular automatics at all.

I took a ride in a smart car as well, and that has to be the worst transmission I've ever had the unfortunate experience with. It almost makes you sea-sick. That's not a win for the automatic manuals. But as long as there's a fully automatic mode in with a DCT in the Corvette, I'd be happy with it.

It looks like I may be taking a new job that requires me to actually leave my house and battle LA traffic every morning. So this would be the time I feel an auto is a good thing for me. I've driven manuals for so long since I've always worked from home, but the times I have to deal with Los Angeles traffic are the times I just want to kill myself.

Quick Reply: C7 transmission