Sponsored by:

If you want a Ferrari - buy a Ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 01:55 PM
HarryWild
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

http://online.wsj.com/video/just-for...hpp_mpvidcar_3

WSJ reviews the Ferrari 458! Just look at how the reporter acts toward the Ferrari automobile and its brand. This is the WSJ and they review all the high end cars along with the Hondas, Toyotas, etc...

That is why Corvette's management wants the new C7 to be reviewed!
Old 12-29-2011, 01:23 AM
Digartz
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you that haven't seen the apparent leaked design...here it is...have at it!

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=799223

Frankly, I hope it's a scam and this isn't the design, and if it is I hope there's plenty of clay left in the bin for the designers to go back and play with because this isn't a Vette I would spend any money on. I would take a 2012 to a custom shop and have them chop & build a morph for me instead.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:33 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Digartz
For those of you that haven't seen the apparent leaked design...here it is...have at it!

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=799223

Frankly, I hope it's a scam and this isn't the design, and if it is I hope there's plenty of clay left in the bin for the designers to go back and play with because this isn't a Vette I would spend any money on. I would take a 2012 to a custom shop and have them chop & build a morph for me instead.
Thanks, but been posted on here ad nauseam.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:29 AM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Digartz
We want a new Vette, not a Ferrari! We can buy a Ferrari any day of the week. What happened to "American Originality?" What happened to being a leader in design? Where's the Harley Earl's when we need them? Better gas mileage is certainly welcomed, but a Vette is a Muscle car, not a passenger car. Listening to focus groups to determine what the next Vette should be? Car buyers are not the designers, and never should be. Muscle cars were never designed by focus groups, the originals were made by artist like Earl and Delorean who broke the mold over and over, then showed us what we wanted with that awesome reveal at the annual car show.

The slump in Vette sales is only because those of us that have our dream cars have them, and now we have to go to custom shops to get what we really want - a modified version of old and new. What Detroit is totally missing is the huge market of blending the true Vette design into a modern road warrior. Go to any Vette show and you don't see the so called "old fat guys" in these cars...it's the millennials taking everything from the c1's to the sting ray's into a modern era machine that is drivable, raceable, survivable! It's the same lesson Carroll Shelby learned about Cobra kit cars, only Chevy hasn't opened their eyes.
This is one of the best posts I've read in a long long time
What got me into vettes was the American aspect of it . Looks and power
Old 01-14-2012, 05:10 PM
texvette2
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You all expect too much out of a chevy. Its overpriced because
they can get it, but its still a chevy. When you go in for service
your also still waiting next to an aveo. Cadillac price I want
cadillac service
Old 01-14-2012, 05:25 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
the headlights on the C6 echo a Ferrari design...
I think the C6 headlights look like the 430 headlights, but the 430 only came out a year before the C6, I'm sure the C6 design was set before the 430 was released, besides that they both look similar to the Dodge Viper which has been around since 96
Old 01-14-2012, 05:37 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by texvette2
When you go in for service
your also still waiting next to an aveo. Cadillac price I want
cadillac service
Simple answer for a simple comment: Buy a Cadillac.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:45 PM
vant
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hig4s
I think the C6 headlights look like the 430 headlights, but the 430 only came out a year before the C6, I'm sure the C6 design was set before the 430 was released, besides that they both look similar to the Dodge Viper which has been around since 96
I think the C6 headlights look almost identical to the 360 Modena, not the 430.

C6 Corvette

360 Modena

F430
Old 01-14-2012, 09:15 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by texvette2
but its still a chevy. When you go in for service
your also still waiting next to an aveo.
Not sure what your point is here ....ya know, when you take your $211k+ Mercedes S65 AMG or $235k+ (fully optioned) SLS AMG in for service you're still waiting next to a mere $34k C250 as well, a far bigger gap in cost/price.

Last edited by LS1LT1; 01-15-2012 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:42 PM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 387 Likes on 236 Posts

Most of the videos I have seen of areas of the world with a group of exotics doing illegal stuff, there's usually a Corvette in the group. I think all these fast cars go fast and look good in their own ways. Tons of videos on youtube of the richest, most spoiled people on the planet that can buy any exotic they want are hotrodding Vettes and Vipers around Dubai, Seoul, and wherever else.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:49 AM
REZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

How can you compare the two.......the diff in $$$
Perhaps Ferrari pruduces 6,000 per year mostly handmade
Most have to wait in line to buy a Ferrari of their choice
They say the best way to buy be able to purchase is to buy on the used marker

We are Corvette people...We buy...order...as We please.2 different animals
My 2 cents!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:16 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default i agree BUT...

Originally Posted by rjwz28
I said nothing of the sort; how does my statement prove your point? The Hyundai and Kia cheap knockoff cars sold like $hit; it wasn't until recently when they actually started putting a lot of hard work into their product that their sales skyrocketed. When they started targeting higher-end cars with their models instead of copying their styling, they made waves. Up until that point, they were just another cheap knockoff from the far east.
hyundai needed to follow the toyota model and make their evolving luxury cars a seperate entity.
all the major luxury cars seem too reticent to make any design statement other than stale/bland
mercedes s-class zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
lexus 450/460ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
bmw 7 seriesZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
cadillac...hey wait,they don't even have a big flagship yet!!!

rolls-a rolling brick
bentley-zzzzzzzz

hyundai your window of opportunity in the upscale market may slowly be closing.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:18 PM
WHT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful what you ask for.

The discussions on the C7 are fairly interesting. Many people seem to want the same level of build and interior quality as is found in Porsche and other high end sports cars (as do I).

This will happen over the next few years as Corvette tries to improve problematic buyer demographics and shift to a higher end owner (which it probably needs to survive like Harley-Davidson was forced to do in the 1980s). Corvette has a greater ratio of lower income buyers in comparison to higher end sports cars and there is an increasing separation between those with money and those without in the new "one world" all the younger people seek. So, like Harley-Davidson, Corvette will have to say goodbye to many of their traditional owners as they upgrade new models. Hopefully, those left behind will enjoy reading about the fantastic, new interiors (and seats) found in the latest Corvettes.

The three brands with the highest House Hold Income were (plus Corvette):

Porsche: $187,705 (Boxster $175,000 and 911 $200,000)
Mercedes-Benz: $162,824
Audi: $153,746

Corvette: $137,000

Chevrolet says the median age of new Corvette buyers is 49 years, and the median age of all Corvette owners is 56 years. They also say the median buyer age has increased with price over the years.

As an example, a 1957 Corvette cost about $3600 and a Porsche with options about $5,300. That is a ratio of 0.68. Today, the Porsche 911 cost about $85,000 to $172,000. The Corvette is about $50,000 to $112,000. This is a ratio of 0.59 to 0.65.

Time to drop the lower end Corvettes and offer a better interior!
Old 01-15-2012, 02:53 PM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

a far bigger gap in cost/price.
I think the point is that even someone who is driving a $50,000 C-class isn't poor or badly off, despite the gap between that and the SLR McLaren being quite a bit bigger than the gap between the Sonic and the ZR-1. Thus, Merc can afford to treat all their customers like they've bought a luxury car-because they have. Corvette on the other hand is part of a brand that unabashedly pitches cheap grocery-getters and questionable SUV's to lower middle class soccer moms who can't change their own oil. I think a separate service facility for the Corvette is an outstanding idea, because it would reinforce the notion that the car is part of an internationally desirable brand. Merc doesn't have to cut the C-class owners loose from the SLS owners because even the owners of their base models are not really what people would call "riff-raff" whereas the owners of many Chevy cars would leave people with that impression.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:13 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Endeka
I think the point is that even someone who is driving a $50,000 C-class isn't poor or badly off, despite the gap between that and the SLR McLaren being quite a bit bigger than the gap between the Sonic and the ZR-1. Thus, Merc can afford to treat all their customers like they've bought a luxury car-because they have. Corvette on the other hand is part of a brand that unabashedly pitches cheap grocery-getters and questionable SUV's to lower middle class soccer moms who can't change their own oil. I think a separate service facility for the Corvette is an outstanding idea, because it would reinforce the notion that the car is part of an internationally desirable brand. Merc doesn't have to cut the C-class owners loose from the SLS owners because even the owners of their base models are not really what people would call "riff-raff" whereas the owners of many Chevy cars would leave people with that impression.
Well, of course.
But you can rest assured that there is at least one McLaren SLR or S65/SL65 owner out there that still balks at the fact that he has to share the waiting room with a $29k C class (what they based at a few years back) owner LOL.
I guess I simply don't like high & mighty/holier-than-thou snobs of any type, regardless of whether they're driving an S65, a ZR1 or even an Aveo LOL.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:32 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by WHT
Be careful what you ask for.

Time to drop the lower end Corvettes and offer a better interior!
I don't know, I think I'd rather them still maybe cut a few corners and offer us the AMAZING 'performance for the dollar' value that we've become accustomed to for the last 60 years.
I still like the idea of a car that can run mid-high 11 second 119mph 1/4 mile times, top out at 190+mph with world class handling/braking, roomy interior comfort for two and their luggage while getting 30+mpg on the highway for under $49k (base LS3 C6).
I personally never found the C6 interiors to be all that bad.
I guess not all of us need/crave that whole 'fine Connolly hides, wine tasting/continental cuisine Pebble Beach Concours' mentality.
But I suppose some do.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:57 PM
Almost There
Advanced

The corvette name is value, performance and practicality. The trend for corvette is that it's becoming more of a toy (especially where I live); however, if someone wanted to buy a Ferrari instead, they would, but they cant. Just dealing with premium exclusive cars like said brand is a major put-off to some people. If the corvette could emulate a less practical Ferrari belinette by giving up some practicality, by all means GM should do it; it would be alienating far less people than many think.

That said, GM could probably do anything from a cost perspective and it not effect the current base msrp that much. The new 991 is such a radically different 911 yet the msrp rose only very slightly.

Last edited by Almost There; 01-15-2012 at 03:59 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To If you want a Ferrari - buy a Ferrari

Old 01-15-2012, 04:28 PM
WHT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I don't know, I think I'd rather them still maybe cut a few corners and offer us the AMAZING 'performance for the dollar' value that we've become accustomed to for the last 60 years.

I still like the idea of a car that can run mid-high 11 second 119mph 1/4 mile times, top out at 190+mph with world class handling/braking, roomy interior comfort for two and their luggage while getting 30+mpg on the highway for under $49k (base LS3 C6).

I personally never found the C6 interiors to be all that bad.
I guess not all of us need/crave that whole 'fine Connolly hides, wine tasting/continental cuisine Pebble Beach Concours' mentality. But I suppose some do.

I actually agree with you (being somewhat ironical in the first post). I can buy pretty much whatever car I want. However, we (wife and I) bought a Corvette because we wanted a fairly simple (and reliable) sports car made in the United States this time. They are not perfect. But, they are very good cars and owners can still work on them if they want.

We have upgraded the interior to full leather (with quality seat foam) and improved the suspension and brakes (including reducing unsprung weight) for better handling. Any owner can do the same if they are unhappy with the seats, interior or handling. Those changes from the factory might price the car out of many budgets and options ordered by a small percentage of buyers increase the cost of all cars.

Maybe, some people have forgotten Corvettes roots: (i) It offers great value for the money with solid drivetrain engineering (can be handed down to several generations of used car buyers). And, (ii) you can make the Corvette into whatever you want or need. Neither will be as easy with an engine behind the seats or other more exotic engineering. Although the latest Porsche 911 is a great car, I wouldn't own one out of warranty due to extremely high repair cost and sometimes fragile engineering (owned one before the Corvette).

So, be careful what changes you want GM to make in the next generation. You might be loosing more than you gain.

If you want a Porsche (or Ferrari), buy a Porsche (or Ferrari).

Last edited by WHT; 01-15-2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Almost There
Advanced

^^ If the cayman came an ls3, I'm sure many, including myself would.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:29 PM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I guess I simply don't like high & mighty/holier-than-thou snobs of any type, regardless of whether they're driving an S65, a ZR1 or even an Aveo LOL.
Right, but this is the problem that we talked about on the other thread-the cars GM wants the Vette to compete with here and abroad-the M3, the 911, the Cayman, and the SL, those cars live on this attitude. Corvette will never be highly desirable to a Porsche owner until it is highly undesirable to a blue-collar owner, whether because of price, appearance, or perceived snobbery that comes with ownership. Whether GM wants to trade that part of their clientele in order to achieve this goal is a choice they'll have to make.

Last edited by Endeka; 01-15-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Quick Reply: If you want a Ferrari - buy a Ferrari