Sponsored by:

If you want a Ferrari - buy a Ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 07:50 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Endeka
Right, but this is the problem that we talked about on the other thread-the cars GM want's the Vette to compete with here and abroad-the M3, the 911, the Cayman, and the SL, those cars live on this attitude. Corvette will never be highly desirable to a Porsche owner until it is highly undesirable to a blue-collar owner, whether because of price, appearance, or perceived snobbery that comes with ownership.
True.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Digartz
Vette is a Muscle car
Not by any stretch of the imagination is a Corvette a muscle car.

-Alex
Old 01-15-2012, 10:20 PM
CO_GTS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-15-2012, 10:44 PM
CO_GTS
Intermediate

Old 01-15-2012, 10:53 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vant
I think the C6 headlights look almost identical to the 360 Modena, not the 430.

C6 Corvette

360 Modena

F430
Yeah, it does look more like the 360, never saw one straight on like that,, but still the Viper came out 3 years before the 360
Old 01-16-2012, 04:22 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CO_GTS

And long before those....

Old 01-16-2012, 10:39 PM
Laser Guided
Drifting

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Digartz
We can buy a Ferrari any day of the week.

Who's this "we"?
Old 01-16-2012, 10:45 PM
HarryWild
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Laser Guided
Who's this "we"?
Now, who is the snob now who saids things like that?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:44 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This thread is a total cluster-f*ck of fail.

Thought I'd throw that out there before I say this:

Ferrari and Chevy have shared design queues for ages and ages. Don't think of it as Chevy is copying Ferrari or Ferrari is copying Chevy. They both copy each other.

In the OP's post, the fact that he said "We could buy a Ferrari any day of the week" just goes to show how little this poster knows the Corvette demographic. The truth is that I know a few Vette owners that COULD buy a Ferrari, and one that actually does have a couple Ferraris but prefers to drive his C6Z. That doesn't mean we all can. And honestly, even if I could, I wouldn't. Ferrari can't make a car that lasts without garaging it 90% of the year. I want to drive my car all the time and I want it to be reliable enough to do so without taking it to the shop every week.

Chevy builds a BUDGET sports car. That is, it's a reliable car that performs at a level of much higher classed cars and at a much lower cost. Corvette are and have always been the "bang for your buck" sports car. If Ferrari and Chevy design cars that look similar, you should thank your lucky stars that SOMEONE is doing something right. Imitation is form of flattery.

Now both Ferrari and Chevy have been working on cars to be more aerodynamic. Doesn't it stand to reason that their tests and engineering results will end up being very similar? After all, the 599 and the Corvette have almost the exact same layout and configuration which means that both cars need to work within those specific parameters and still be aerodynamic. So one could deduce that eventually the cars will look nearly identical if the test results are the same and the shape of the perfect aerodynamic car is conclusive of the tests. The only thing left is styling (which must be worked in within the parameters of the shape of the car's best aerodynamic profile).

So in summary, this thread is a massive fail based on the speculation that Corvette owners can afford Ferraris, but buy Corvettes instead (as a general consensus) and that Chevy rips off Ferrari to make their cars look like "wanna-be" Ferraris, which is totally untrue.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:01 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh look. They both are red and have 2 doors and gills in the fenders... OH! And wheels!!! They both have wheels!!!

Seriously, did you just compare these cars to show they're the same or different? I don't know if you put 2 and 2 together, but these cars look nothing alike. Aside from the fact that they're both front engine 2 seaters coupes, they're pretty damn original.

Look at the roof lines to the b-column. How about the window shape? The back hatch on the Vette vs. the deck-style back end on the Ferrari? Bumpers? Exhaust? Mirror positions? Talk about being picky here.

Yes, they're both aerodynamic sports cars... But you're leaving out that the majority of front-engine RWD sports cars have almost this exact same profile. Why? Because that's how aerodynamics work for the same layout car. Lets throw some other cars into this mix:

GM must have ripped off Toyota too:

And Maserati:

And Datsun:

It's pretty easy to find red front-engine RWD cars to compare considering they're all going to have the same aero profile.

I think this discussion has just been made invalid.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:41 AM
99FRC Newb
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99
Thank God you have not been afflicted with 'early onset' yet. I'm hanging in there with you amigo.

The concave side shape on the 1956 through 1962 Corvettes were referred to as 'coves'. No one back then ever called the side body styling introduced on the '63 as 'coves'.

On another note, I envy you for owning the '67 for 40 years. I bought mine new, but fell to the siren song of the '68, and ordered a new '69 coupe. I still fondly remember the '67 roadster.
i hate you. i wish i was alive back then. as much as i love my 99 FRC and my 5th gen camaro, i would have preferred an early C3 and a 1st gen camaro.

unfortunately, i wasn't born until 87
Old 01-18-2012, 01:01 AM
CO_GTS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
And Datsun:

I think this discussion has just been made invalid.
I just posted some pix without comments. Did not enter the fray with some weird bias. Just some images for those to consider design, that's all. And that's what makes some small element of this thread interesting; why do cars look so similar?

Did you know that the Datsun 240Z (an example you gave) was a copy of a Ferrari 250GT? That's what her designers were trying to "knock off"... a Ferrari. In your arrogance you proved the point that all makers "steal" from others, you have made nothing "invalid" Sir.
A popular Datsun Z mod is this one: Yup, its really a 240Z
Old 01-18-2012, 10:34 AM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by 99FRC Newb
i hate you. i wish i was alive back then. as much as i love my 99 FRC and my 5th gen camaro, i would have preferred an early C3 and a 1st gen camaro.

Yes, I got to buy a new '67 and a new '69 Corvette and you didn't. But you'll get to buy a new C12 or C13 and I won't.

Enjoy it when you get it amigo.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:38 AM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

.... In your arrogance you proved the point that all makers "steal" from others, you have made nothing "invalid" .....
I didn't see any arrogance in SCM_Crash's posts at all. I thought it was very factual and well presented.

Much ado about nothing.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Laser Guided
Drifting

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FRC Newb

87 club, baby.

Quick Reply: If you want a Ferrari - buy a Ferrari