C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What do you think of the Jalopnik renderings?
I LOVE IT!
24.21%
I HATE IT!
40.88%
I DON'T KNOW..
34.91%
Voters: 318. You may not vote on this poll

what do you think of the Jalopnik renderings?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 11:39 AM
onedaydreamcar
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vant
Sorry if this has been mentioned before (there's been so many posts on the C7 lately). But I don't recall a time when GM has responded to ANY rendering of the C7, from ANY source, other than the Jalopnik rendering. In fact, I thought it was their policy to never respond?

This makes me believe that the Jalopnik rendering is very close to the real thing. But who knows, maybe you're right about it being a test by GM.
Nobody had claimed it was the actual final design they saw in person... They simply made a rendering dating this is what we think. Why respond to that? Jalopnik claims the actual final design is their render, rich I don't believe it is.

In jalopnik fashion, I vote crack pipe. Not the change in this rendering that gm big wigs are saying the new design will be. I don't doubt this was a real gm design exercise, however, I'm sure it was. Nowhere near final though.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:40 AM
onedaydreamcar
Instructor

Again, sorry for phone typos
Old 11-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tail lights came as a shock.
But now I like the whole thing.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:24 PM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Voting appears to be holding steady at about 75% either hating the rendition or totally neutral and unmoved by it. Small, but perhaps significant sample given the voters.

Hope GM is listening if this is really C7....
Old 11-19-2011, 04:37 PM
'Shifter
Thoroughly chapped
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 410 Likes on 328 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Member '09

There are many things about it that I like, but just as many that I dislike...
Old 11-19-2011, 08:44 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

It looks inexpensive, like that 4 cylinder sporty Toyota coupe that secretaries buy, is that a Celica? Except she put big rims on it, whoopy-doo.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:02 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

So many people on here insist that the Corvette change it's styling to conform with the trends of the past several years. The problem with that is visible in this rendering: it appears very similar to a crop of other sporty car that have come out over the past few years, such as the G35 and G37 coupe, Nissan 350/370Z, Hyundai Genesis, etc. If you were to line up all of these cars (including this Corvette rendering) behind a white sheet and silhouette them with a backlight, it would be difficult to identify which is which. The Corvette's current shape and roof/rear window setup may be old and you may even think it's dated, but hell, at least it's unique and distinctive. The arched fenders and four taillights have become identifying features of America's favorite sports car. You put any Corvette generation up to the same test I just described and there are very few cars that would throw off the average car guy as to which was the Vette. I like that. Icon cars should be recognizable. Lambos are shaped like a wedge, 911s like a sleek Beetle, etc. Why take this away from the Vette so it can blend in with every other popular car out there? That isn't to say it should look like the Stingray concept; I'd rather it be attractive than distinctive. There is absolutely NO reason, IMHO, that it cannot be both.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:06 AM
jon1all
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Old 11-20-2011, 10:24 AM
stic5
Pro

Originally Posted by Headman70
Why do some people feel the need to belittle people when their opinions differ? Why do they take it so personal? Did they design the car? It's not like we were talking about their child. And why imply that they aren't intelligent and what does intelligence have to do with poor taste? Does it make them feel smarter? Does it make them feel better about themselves? Are they compensating for their own inadequacies? Or is their life full of mistakes or inadequacies? Very sad really! Very very sad!

Id10t
No, I'm simply pointing out the obvious truth. You will want this car someday, and if you actually believe that the Stingray Concept looks better then you simply have bad taste. Your C5 certainly looks a lot better than the Stingray Concept, but even it will probably look plain jane beside the C7. Sorry guys but this car is going to be a hit, and all of your belly aching just shows your lack of objectivity.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:41 AM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At first I didn't like it , but at second look i'm not sure . We need better pics .
Old 11-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Docderek05
Racer

I'll keep my 1994 C4 coupe, which still screams evolution of a real Corvette. flipped headlights, low stance, moderate power, an evolution. The new car if it looks anywhere near what this rendering shows, is just ugly. it looks like an overgrown Saturn Sky Red Line, with that incredibly ugly chrome side vent, simpleton wheels, and abomination they call a rear end, and the louvered hood is gross. I highly doubt GM will meld the sorry *** Camaro rear look to it's flagship. Have you ever pulled beside a new Camaro in your current Vette? it's as big as a 60's Impala..who wants homage to that in the rear fascia of a Vette? Sorry GM..keep this Albatross.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:41 AM
Dudeurgettnavette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C6.5
Old 11-23-2011, 09:15 AM
lt1george
Melting Slicks

Default C7

Originally Posted by 95jersey
If this were the new Camaro, I would say home run, but not for a Corvette. It looks kid or boyish, very immature, not the styling of a serious world class ferrari competitor. The front end looks like the ugly mid 90's camaro with the pointed nose and all of the hard edge lines that grew from the Caddilac line do not translate to the Corvette very well.

Also, it is obvious this is an evolved design from the C6, not a complete new redesign. To me it more resembles a child's toy car bought at a dollar store than something you would compare to a Ferrari or Porsche.

It does look like they are going after a younger market by tapping youths childhood memories of walking with their mom through the toy department at Dollar General. Does it come with AAA batteries and a remote control with both forward and reverse? Bad GM bad.
I hate it. Corvette, dead will be near if this is the new C7.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:41 AM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Default Poll Is Steady

Four days have elapsed since my last check on the poll. It has remained quite steady with approximately 76% either hating or, at best, neutral about the rendering.

Know GM is monitoring these threads. I am beginning to believe this design abomination is NOT C7, but perhaps the early low buck effort that was supposedly nixed. Hopefully that is true, if not, well then hopefully GM "gets it."

The sample size may be relatively small, but probably meaningful because it represents opinions from that data set of folks who actually BUY Corvettes.

There is no way to put lipstick on this pig, so I hope GM will be smart enough to realize that. Meanwhile, I will continue to enjoy the hell out of my '10 Z06, and I remain excited about all the the alternatives either currently available, or available soon, to those who vote with our dollars.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:34 AM
dboz
Burning Brakes

The C7, no matter how it looks, can't be worse than the C5 or C4. The C6 with the fenders flared is the best looking Corvette in 40 years.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:22 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

I don't love or hate the Jalopnik renderings. To me their renderings look too much like a C6 (isn't a bad thing) with CTS-V touches (not a bad thing either)... very GM, but they aren't the distinctive new sports car look I want to see in a C7 Corvette.

Chevrolet would be wise to ride the retro wave that's been so successful in the Camaro, Mustang & Challenger, pull from the classic Corvettes, and include Sting Ray styling in the C7.
Old 11-24-2011, 10:48 AM
jon1all
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Here's something to think about. The current C6 is arguably the best looking Corvette (especially in ZR1/Z06/GS trim) to come out of the GM design studio in 45 years. Some argument is understandable, but I don't know of anybody who thinks the C6 is... "ugly"... and most I think would agree it is a dead sexy beast (even if it's not your favorite generation)!

That said, even with as good a design as the C6 is, it is selling like crap (largely because of the economy, but also because of increased competition/choices in the marketplace).

This less than inspiring C7 rendering (if it is true)... may well be the first nail in the coffin of the Corvette. If this is the best GM can do when they basically HAVE to deliver excellence... yikes. I hate to say it, but the Corvette may be in serious danger if this is the real C7.

Just one man's opinion....

Get notified of new replies

To what do you think of the Jalopnik renderings?

Old 11-24-2011, 11:45 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 516 Posts

If this rendering is anywhere near the final outcome, it will be a huge hit. I've been a huge fan and student of Corvette design for ever as well as former Ferrari owner. I would easily change my allegiance from Ferrari to Corvette with this car. I also think there's more Lamborghini influence than any other car. But one thing is very clear. It has Italian design influence within the Corvette design traditions. This will be a Stunner !!!!
Old 11-25-2011, 01:16 AM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stic5
No, I'm simply pointing out the obvious truth. You will want this car someday, and if you actually believe that the Stingray Concept looks better then you simply have bad taste. Your C5 certainly looks a lot better than the Stingray Concept, but even it will probably look plain jane beside the C7. Sorry guys but this car is going to be a hit, and all of your belly aching just shows your lack of objectivity.
No, I would say that you are the one with "bad taste". Actually the current poll #'s show that the majority (at least those following this thread) don't like this car, not if this rendering is what it will look like.
No I will not want this car someday, or EVER, regardless of its performance....It's down right ugly!!!
And you may take my "belly aching as a lack of objectivity"..... I'll take your post as a lack of oxygen due to where your head is currently placed.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:53 AM
sirrob
Advanced

Can't wait for this C7! This car is going to literally stop traffic! (In a good way!)

Last edited by sirrob; 11-25-2011 at 04:55 AM.

Quick Reply: what do you think of the Jalopnik renderings?