Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Will the c7 destroy the competition?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 01:32 PM
5.4ever
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CarBoy
The thing that's killed it the most? Too much hype....this car was way over promised, and has under delivered..... Which for quite a few people probably would not be that big of a deal if it simply LOOKED BETTER!!! Case in point...the latest Pontiac GTO.
If I saw a GTR on the road, I probably wouldn't even notice what it was....just like the GTO....until of course it's owner stepped up to "give 'em a go" like most posers do. Hell I would take an Audi R8 all day long over a GTR.....Cause it LOOKS BETTER

So, while a cars stats may only be arguable based on the bias of who tested the car and what kind of tires were used. How a car looks, is based solely on ones opinion....so you might want to go to a place where others share that opinion (minority of an opinion as it may be)....I'm sure there's got to be a GTR Fan Boy forum somewhere....or at least some sort of support group for those that have already wasted there $$ buying one....
You are ****ing delusional if you think it under delivered. Just two years ago, everyone was calling a corvette a "supercar" for what the ZR1 did at 120k...

now comes a sub 100k "supercar" and posts almost identical numbers to the ZR1 and you say it doesnt deliver

Take 10 ZR1 owners and take 10(2012) GTR owners. Have them go at it 1/4 mile and at the track. 8 out of 10 times the GTR will win. Its more consistant... its a sick *** car. Looks are subjective. I dont think its looks as good as a ZR1 but then again, the zr1 looks like a base c6 to many...

Originally Posted by jimb100
How many Z06's get sold per year?

ZR's?
I want to know how many zr1s are sold yearly!

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
Here's an observation you may find interesting... and I had some time off from work. On Facebook, Motor Trend asked what car you'd want Santa to leave in your driveway. Now before you start attacking FB, or the "fools" who'd go there, understand my point (or stop reading now and save yourself some time). FB is huge and there will be a broad mix of car enthusiasts on Motor Trends FB page (and certainly younger than the average Corvette buyer). Many of these are people who'll spend money on future sports cars and who's taste, preference & passions are forming now. This is admittedly an unscientific survey, but significant numbers here may be directionally important, and provide a barometer of what young car enthusiasts are dreaming about owning someday. Some results were no surprise at all, the wildly expensive super "dream" cars like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti or Bentley. I was curious about Corvette popularity, and that's reason I looked. Other cars caught my eye and surprised me, and are the reason for this post.

Ferrari..........15
Nissan GT-R..15
Mustang........11
Corvette........10
BMW.............10
Audi...............9
Lamborghini....7
Cadillac..........6
Porsche..........5
Challenger......2
Shelby...........4
Camaro..........3
Bentley..........3
Bugatti...........2
Lexus.............2
Mercedes........1
Jaguar............1
Others..........25 (SUVs, trucks, some single mentions...)

The GT-R is top of the list, equal to Ferrari. Wow. And with little or no legacy like Corvette and some other brands. It's an obvious indicator as to what Corvette should be looking at to attract new and younger buyers. If Corvette doesn't consider the GT-R when building the C7 they are fools. At $95K the GT-R is a halo car and falls in the high-end Z06 or ZR1 price range. You haters can dismiss the GT-R, but a company with deep pockets like Nissan can build on this appeal in a big way. And, the GT-R looks like a future collector car to me. It's available in limited numbers and 50+ year olds buy the cars they dreamed about when younger, like what drives demand for 1960s muscle cars today.

Audi and Cadillac scored higher than I expected, a powerful statement of what new styling and better marketing can do for a fallen brand.

I expected Porsche and the Camaro to do better, and maybe they would in a larger survey. Regardless of size, this must be alarming (and embarrassing) to Lexus, Mercedes and Jaguar. I'm sure they'd argue some nonsense about attracting buyers with more "mature" taste. But Corvette, BMW, Audi, even Cadillac, attract mature buyers and they still have young people dreaming about owning them.

FWIW, don't shoot me I'm only the messenger.

Cheers,
JB
I keep hearing this. believe it or not, the R35(gtr) has roots well into the 60s
Old 12-26-2011, 02:08 PM
hwy1vette
Racer

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
Here's an observation you may find interesting... and I had some time off from work. On Facebook, Motor Trend asked what car you'd want Santa to leave in your driveway. Now before you start attacking FB, or the "fools" who'd go there, understand my point (or stop reading now and save yourself some time). FB is huge and there will be a broad mix of car enthusiasts on Motor Trends FB page (and certainly younger than the average Corvette buyer). Many of these are people who'll spend money on future sports cars and who's taste, preference & passions are forming now. This is admittedly an unscientific survey, but significant numbers here may be directionally important, and provide a barometer of what young car enthusiasts are dreaming about owning someday. Some results were no surprise at all, the wildly expensive super "dream" cars like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti or Bentley. I was curious about Corvette popularity, and that's reason I looked. Other cars caught my eye and surprised me, and are the reason for this post.

Ferrari..........15
Nissan GT-R..15
Mustang........11
Corvette........10
BMW.............10
Audi...............9
Lamborghini....7
Cadillac..........6
Porsche..........5
Challenger......2
Shelby...........4
Camaro..........3
Bentley..........3
Bugatti...........2
Lexus.............2
Mercedes........1
Jaguar............1
Others..........25 (SUVs, trucks, some single mentions...)

The GT-R is top of the list, equal to Ferrari. Wow. And with little or no legacy like Corvette and some other brands. It's an obvious indicator as to what Corvette should be looking at to attract new and younger buyers. If Corvette doesn't consider the GT-R when building the C7 they are fools. At $95K the GT-R is a halo car and falls in the high-end Z06 or ZR1 price range. You haters can dismiss the GT-R, but a company with deep pockets like Nissan can build on this appeal in a big way. And, the GT-R looks like a future collector car to me. It's available in limited numbers and 50+ year olds buy the cars they dreamed about when younger, like what drives demand for 1960s muscle cars today.

Audi and Cadillac scored higher than I expected, a powerful statement of what new styling and better marketing can do for a fallen brand.

I expected Porsche and the Camaro to do better, and maybe they would in a larger survey. Regardless of size, this must be alarming (and embarrassing) to Lexus, Mercedes and Jaguar. I'm sure they'd argue some nonsense about attracting buyers with more "mature" taste. But Corvette, BMW, Audi, even Cadillac, attract mature buyers and they still have young people dreaming about owning them.

FWIW, don't shoot me I'm only the messenger.

Cheers,
JB

For GM to ignore the GTR is absurd instead it should be a benchmark of what is possible. Again I hope the C7 steps up its game and I'm back in vette in 2013.

Originally Posted by 5.4ever
You are ****ing delusional if you think it under delivered. Just two years ago, everyone was calling a corvette a "supercar" for what the ZR1 did at 120k...

now comes a sub 100k "supercar" and posts almost identical numbers to the ZR1 and you say it doesnt deliver

Take 10 ZR1 owners and take 10(2012) GTR owners. Have them go at it 1/4 mile and at the track. 8 out of 10 times the GTR will win. Its more consistant... its a sick *** car. Looks are subjective. I dont think its looks as good as a ZR1 but then again, the zr1 looks like a base c6 to many...

I keep hearing this. believe it or not, the R35(gtr) has roots well into the 60s
That's what I see at the track when I go, and the funny thing initially it was the same guys who were complaining about all the "nannies" the GTR has as to why they would not want one. After awhile they stopped complaining about the "nannies", wonder why?
Old 12-26-2011, 09:27 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

The GT-R and Z has a legacy as big as the vette legacy by the way. The Z also know as the Fair Lady dates way back with the Emperor.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:16 PM
FastMatt2
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GM better bring it, with Ford comming out with a 650hp GT500, and Dodge already testing the 8.7L V10 with 800hp that will most likely end up in the new Viper. I sure hope we see the C7 ZR1 with no less then 750 hp
Old 12-29-2011, 01:25 AM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 5.4ever
Because it uses a ton of cheater technology, thats why its more consistant. Its not a drivers car at all, it has an automatic that basically does all the heel and toe for you so no skill is needed on a curved track. The launch control is absurd that my grandmother can take it down the 1/4mi and beat anyone in a ZR1. Cars like the nissan GTR are for people who cant really drive, let alone know how to launch a true manual equipeed car. Nissan should come up with a feature called ASC (absolute steering control) where the occupant sits in the so-called drivers seat with his arms folded while the car drives by itself.

And nissan is denying any warranty work if you use the launch control and break the tranny, thats excellent customer service if you ask me. To put a feature in a car and then screw the customer for using it if something malfunctions. You guys can keep your GTR i'll stick with my chevrolet through thick and thin.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:15 AM
KCC6Vert
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by pTr73
And nissan is denying any warranty work if you use the launch control and break the tranny, thats excellent customer service if you ask me. To put a feature in a car and then screw the customer for using it if something malfunctions. You guys can keep your GTR i'll stick with my chevrolet through thick and thin.
I've been waiting for someone to mention this. Go ahead and buy the Asian toy. It is just a toy and posts numbers based on technology that doesn't stand up to repeated uses. I'll take my GS any day. I can go out and flog the thing and take it back to the dealer to get it fixed.

WHAT THE CRAP? Make a car, post numbers, then penalize your buyer who expects his/her car to replicate the performance? If I'd purchased a GTR, I'd be pissed. Part of what will kill the GTR will be the class action law suit about warranty claims vs. performance claims. The GTR isn't a true performance car, it is performance hype! That's why the FaceBook uninformed have it at the top of their list. They are bench racers <read RICE>.

Stepping down now...
Old 12-29-2011, 09:44 AM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That survey was asked on Facebook .
It's not exactly a cross sectional view of the average car enthusiast

Last edited by arkus; 12-29-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:28 PM
jazzlove
Melting Slicks

Location: San Antonio Texas - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar
The competition (Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.),will the the c7 go above and and beyond or stay relatively the same in every category looks, interior, performance, value.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:30 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

I've read on CF that Chevrolet had denied paying for some warranty repairs when they thought the car had been raced.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:44 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Default Best Handling Cars Motor Trend Tested in 2011

And then there was this...

The 10 Best Handling Cars Motor Trend Tested in 2011
#1 2012 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

Beating all the usual suspects, including the 911, GT-R, Ferrari & Audi.

"The C7 has big shoes to fill."

http://wot.motortrend.com/the-10-bes...11-148669.html
Old 12-29-2011, 07:29 PM
BMWDAD
Instructor

for my money
6. 2012 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport/2012 Lexus LFA

Figure Eight: 23.7 seconds @ 0.82 g (avg)/23.7 seconds @ 0.89 g (avg)

Skidpad: 1.09 g (avg)/1.07 g (avg)

The Lexus LFA that survived Best Driver’s Car circled the figure eight in the same time as a mint Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport, which will undoubtedly kick-start many conversations about value, performance, and some combination thereof. We’ve explored the much-hyped, exotic Lexus in great detail during its long development. The tested Corvette Grand Sport is a hardened version of the base, 430-horsepower ‘Vette with Magnetic Selective Ride Control, and it has certainly done well for itself.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/the-10-bes...#ixzz1hyPJzAut
Old 12-30-2011, 01:05 AM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

I just want to point out to all you GTR fans...

The GTR has 530hp and weighs 3900lbs
The ZR1 has 638hp and weighs 3353lbs

With over a 100hp and almost a 600lb advantage I am sure if the ZR1 used all the cheater technology the GTR uses I bet we'd for sure see low 10's off the showroom floor, and possibly takeoff speed would nipping 60mph!
Old 12-30-2011, 07:18 AM
BMWDAD
Instructor

some useful comments from across the pond and a drag race.......................

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/c...vs-jaguar-xkr/
Old 12-31-2011, 06:44 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

some useful comments from across the pond and a drag race.......................

Got to love the euro car compares and competition European style. Actually this link actually once more illustrates the extent of anti US car bias this side of the Atlantic:

Notice how they mention the numeral price of the corvette but no mention of exact prices of the competition. Just a vague mention that Jaguar is even more expensive.

SO 73K pounds Corvette...folks that is 112.808 dollars for a 2012 GS!! A staggering 55K tax/fee on US import. Do the UK Jaguar and GP Nissan incur the same penalty? NOT.

No wonder the video concludes that the Corvette GS comes a bit short vis a vis the competition for the money. Gee lady!

Let us take your Jaguar and Nissan slap an additional 55K on the sticker and conclude the exact opposite: That a Nissan at USD 168000 and a Jaguar at USD 185000 are a complete rip-off.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:46 AM
BMWDAD
Instructor

I disagree with you ^, and just feel the C6 is at the end of its run, and time for an update.

This is from Motor Trend

But, the biggest disappointment for me would have to be Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport – surprising because I have always preferred the simplicity of American cars over exotics. Is the Grand Sport fast? YES! But, it just didn’t feel special, like it had no soul, which is a shame for a car with an uninterrupted nameplate dating back to 1953. Hopefully GM can improve the C7 Corvette and ignite some passion back into America’s sports car (and ditch the transverse mono-leaf suspension).

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/mt-staff-p...#ixzz1i7j020Go
Old 12-31-2011, 11:48 AM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BMWDAD

My question is why did they pick the slower automatic to compete in this article? Its almost as if they picked the slower of the pack and then ragged on it when it loses! How typical of the europeans to do something like that.

They been bashing american cars for years. But the fact is that no matter how antiquated the vette suspension is (so they seem to say) or how cheap the interior looks it still managed to survive for almost 60 years.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:52 AM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

Can I ask everyone a question?

When the C6 came out did it stun the competition? I believe it did!

Its approaching its 8th birthday and I am certain when its reborn it will definitely hang if not surpass what is out there now.

Get notified of new replies

To Will the c7 destroy the competition?

Old 12-31-2011, 11:52 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Let's be real, the "worst car" any MT editor (or normal person) will drive is going to be a cheap econobox.

"Soul" is an intentionally ambiguous term. I think Udy picked Corvette to be controversial, and it means nothing more.

Cheers,
JB
Old 01-01-2012, 04:38 AM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

I disagree with you ^, and just feel the C6 is at the end of its run, and time for an update.

This is from Motor Trend

But, the biggest disappointment for me would have to be Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport – surprising because I have always preferred the simplicity of American cars over exotics. Is the Grand Sport fast? YES! But, it just didn’t feel special, like it had no soul, which is a shame for a car with an uninterrupted nameplate dating back to 1953. Hopefully GM can improve the C7 Corvette and ignite some passion back into America’s sports car (and ditch the transverse mono-leaf suspension).

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/mt-staff-p...#ixzz1i7j020Go
I agree on disagreements but I do object to the methods and sources you use to turn a subjective opinion into an objective proposition.

I am just pointing out that the links you submitted are not very effective nor objective in making the case that the C6 is "old" and a thing of the past COMPARED to EQUAL competitors.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:16 AM
BMWDAD
Instructor

Originally Posted by Telepierre
I agree on disagreements but I do object to the methods and sources you use to turn a subjective opinion into an objective proposition.

I am just pointing out that the links you submitted are not very effective nor objective in making the case that the C6 is "old" and a thing of the past COMPARED to EQUAL competitors.

Fair enough, but both AutoCar and Motortrend basically stated time for an update. The Vette did not make Car and Drivers 10 best, as in the past. I want my C7 sooner then later.

Quick Reply: Will the c7 destroy the competition?