C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*C7 LETDOWN* ... So, Now What R UR Plans???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 10:24 PM
Mayonayze
Le Mans Master

Location: Prepare yourself, for a pride obliterating bich smack. Fairfax, VA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08
SEC > BCS 4 St. Judes '09

if it's entirely dreadful, i will probably scope whatever Lotus is laying down, or close to laying down.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:36 PM
XPLOSYV
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WHT

seeing this made me go outside and take a peek at my c5 baby! thanks!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:31 AM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

If it looks as bad as the rendering, I may have to go the dark side.....

Old 01-23-2012, 04:09 AM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

I thought only posers bought cars based on looks instead of performance?
Old 01-23-2012, 04:37 AM
5.4ever
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
good thing the car above your post has it all...

performance
Power
Looks
Suspension
priced @ base corvette
Old 01-23-2012, 05:53 AM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Why would you like C5's or C6's and hate the C7? I guess I don't get what all the fuss is about.
It's because of the Stingray Concept. It was in the Transformers movie, and last time that happened (Camaro), the same damn car was on our showroom floor a year later. Expecting the Stingray Concept and getting the Jalopnik car is like being told you've won a date with Alessandra Ambrosio, only to show up and find Amy Poehler. Not the end of the world, and you'll probably have just as many laughs, but somehow, the trade just doesn't seem fair.

As for me, now that the Stingray seems to be out of the picture, I'm casting my net pretty wide. I've been look at a Z06 Carbon, a Viper (used, obviously; not being made right now) just for the laughs, a Boss 302 Laguna Seca, and a 911.

Last edited by Endeka; 01-23-2012 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:31 AM
OJCrush08
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Endeka
It's because of the Stingray Concept. It was in the Transformers movie, and last time that happened (Camaro), the same damn car was on our showroom floor a year later. Expecting the Stingray Concept and getting the Jalopnik car is like being told you've won a date with Alessandra Ambrosio, only to show up and find Amy Poehler. Not the end of the world, and you'll probably have just as many laughs, but somehow, the trade just doesn't seem fair.

As for me, now that the Stingray seems to be out of the picture, I'm casting my net pretty wide. I've been look at a Z06 Carbon, a Viper (used, obviously; not being made right now) just for the laughs, a Boss 302 Laguna Seca, and a 911.
Similar potential disapointment with C7 - we will see when all is revealed. If so, my wide-cast net will include: new Viper, 2013 ZR1, new Jag sports car, 2013-up 650 h/p Shelby. I will decide in '15.

Right now, content to keep playing with my CRM 3LZ '10 Z06, which I bought new from a dealer last summer at a very deep discount.

I have looked hard at the camo C7's and reluctantly come to the decision that most of the analysis is correct, the Jalopnik jalopy rendering is close.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:01 PM
rpanesar
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

There are too many nice looking cars in the pipe line to not include in a shopping list in 2015....I personally don't like the Jalopnik render and if the C7 turns out like that then I am moving on. Life's too short to wait around for a C8.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:20 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

Close...
A poser is someone who buys a car because of the name of that car and because he/she wants to be included. Choosing a performance car that is also good looking is just good taste.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Off-topic, I had to laugh when Jalopnik's gloat included a pointed reference to the A-pillar... as if that proved anything at all. As you can see from the above, it's basically unchanged from 1997 forward.(Yes, I know, it's not actually the same part, but from the exterior, it looks the same.)

My plans are unchanged from a year ago -- to wait until I see the actual car and hear the talking points, then decide whether to re-up with Corvette or try something different for a while.

.Jinx
Old 01-23-2012, 11:20 PM
crazyv6
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
Off-topic, I had to laugh when Jalopnik's gloat included a pointed reference to the A-pillar... as if that proved anything at all. As you can see from the above, it's basically unchanged from 1997 forward.(Yes, I know, it's not actually the same part, but from the exterior, it looks the same.)

My plans are unchanged from a year ago -- to wait until I see the actual car and hear the talking points, then decide whether to re-up with Corvette or try something different for a while.

.Jinx

But, I figured while I am waiting it would be sweet to drive around in a 1969 Z28.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:00 AM
zland
Drifting

Received 608 Likes on 191 Posts

The upside is if the C7 turns out to be a flop like the Aztec, GM will be forced to go back to the drawing board & speed up the C8.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:50 AM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mitchydkid
Close...
A poser is someone who buys a car because of the name of that car and because he/she wants to be included. Choosing a performance car that is also good looking is just good taste.
A poser is also someone who buys a performance car first on looks or brand loyalty and performance is second or third on the list.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:54 AM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 5.4ever
good thing the car above your post has it all...

performance
Power
Looks
Suspension
priced @ base corvette
NO a Z06 or a ZR1 has it all, that Mustang would not have a prayer. You do know this is a Corvette forum?
Old 01-24-2012, 10:24 AM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

A poser is also someone who buys a performance car first on looks or brand loyalty and performance is second or third on the list.
It is clear what you are getting at, that a current Vette owner that chooses not to buy a C7 because of how it looks is a poser. Besides it being stupid to call people names, its ridiculous to think someone is a poser just because they want their car to look nice. That is part of being a car person. There is no doubt in my mind that YOU would not pay 60K for an Aztek, even if it had ZR1 stomping performance. If you deny that you will lose all credibility.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:18 PM
C8forT
Burning Brakes

Received 452 Likes on 229 Posts

I like the Jalopnik renderings of the C7 and what we can gleen from the camouflaged prototypes. I really, really like the NSX design concept (much better than the R8 - I don't like the R8's side panels), though I think it will be priced way too high and be underpowered for its price range.

GM engineers, if you are reading this, please do something to improve the traction and get the C7 to shoot out of the whole with sub 3.0 sec. 0-60 times. If a higher performance variant of the C7 can accomplish this straight from the showroom floor, I'm in for that variant.

One more note, I rode as a passenger in a GT-R. The accelleration it provides truly is an incredible experience. I just can't get over its looks. I would like to have the Corvette's looks with GT-R acceleration out of the hole (without having to run drag tires on the street).

Last edited by C8forT; 01-24-2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Additional Note
Old 01-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Sean Dunshee
Drifting

Originally Posted by C7ZR1forT
I like the Jalopnik renderings of the C7 and what we can gleen from the camouflaged prototypes. I really, really like the NSX design concept (much better than the R8 - I don't like the R8's side panels), though I think it will be priced way too high and be underpowered for its price range.

GM engineers, if you are reading this, please do something to improve the traction and get the C7 to shoot out of the whole with sub 3.0 sec. 0-60 times. If a higher performance variant of the C7 can accomplish this straight from the showroom floor, I'm in for that variant.

One more note, I rode as a passenger in a GT-R. The accelleration it provides truly is an incredible experience. I just can't get over its looks. I would like to have the Corvette's looks with GT-R acceleration out of the hole (without having to run drag tires on the street).

As a huge fan of the Corvette I have NEVER liked the NEW body style with any of the generations, The C7 is the first one I have liked EVER right from the start.

The GT-R while a crazy impressive car on the inside in my opinion sucks on the outside....it looks like any other Nissan on the road. That new NSX concept of gorgeous and besides the front end looks nothing like the ugly R8, that side piece just screams "we didn't know what to do so we made this ugly flat panel"

Get notified of new replies

To *C7 LETDOWN* ... So, Now What R UR Plans???

Old 01-24-2012, 03:58 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Sean Dunshee

As a huge fan of the Corvette I have NEVER liked the NEW body style with any of the generations, The C7 is the first one I have liked EVER right from the start.
I liked the C3. I did not like the C4. I still don't like the base C6, but I do like the Z06/ZR1 body. There is no C7 yet, the renderings are made up and the "spot shots" are a camo'd C6 with some differences in the rear end.

If I don't like the C7, I am not sure. I may mod my C5 even more or Camaro SS w/supercharger or a ZL1. I would consider something European but I love V8's
Old 01-24-2012, 07:39 PM
rpm94
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

I doubt I will be buying another corvette. Don't get me wrong, I am extremely happy with my Z06 and have modded it quite substantially (more even on the way - Halltech GT2 Dred Hood). I do not plan to sell the car, however, I have my eye out on the next gen Viper. If it looks too European and looses some of its agressive styling, then I will pick up a low milage ACR.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:38 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by WHT
Evolution gone too far. Will probably keep the C6 unless the C7 looks a lot better in person. Historically, most car designs with sharp edges and somewhat disjointed angles haven't aged well with the public even though they looked "fresh" when introduced.

Great comparison pic's.
Regardless what anyone thinks of the rendering, at this point, it is just that, a rendering
I do hope the C7 looks a lot better than the rendering, and don't know about anyone else, but looking at it long enough, and regardless of like it or not, even a rendering can start to make the C6 look dated.
Try it, ....
look at the C7 rendering every day and see if it doesn't start to make the C6 look dated, even if only a teeny weeny tiny bit

Quick Reply: *C7 LETDOWN* ... So, Now What R UR Plans???