Sponsored by:

Ill take this over a new C7

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 08:18 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by redvette77
That's the most rude comment I have read and a while. We're even.

It's my opinion, I am entitled to it. In my opinion, adding hybrid capabilities to any performance car ruins it. With all the fuel-saving technologies available these days, a hybrid simply seems pointless. Especially in the form of a performance car.

Don't like it? That's fine. You can have your own opinion. That's how it works.

And why is this thread even in the C7 section?
I guess you don't realize that a hybrid motor can be used for added performance boost?

Look up the Porsche 918 Supercar.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:45 AM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by m48xhp
you've missed the point of the hybrid performance car. it is NOT the same thing as a hybrid fuel economy car. please research. aside from possible added weight, there is no negative thing about it.

and you comment was not an opinion. it was a attempted statement of fact. if you had said "it's a hybrid, therefor I do not like it", that is an opinion. but saying "hybrid=crap" is a false statement, not an opinion.
Apologies, I did not realize that members would take something so seriously. I don't like hybrid performance, and you can save your breathe trying to convince me otherwise. I'm not changing my mind.

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
I guess you don't realize that a hybrid motor can be used for added performance boost?

I have seen plenty of the Porsche 918, and I don't like it either. Sorry.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:18 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,558 Likes on 2,161 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

We haven't even seen the C7 yet (aside from a few obscure spy photos). How can you make an informed decision until you actually see the new Corvette and drive it? I'll reserve judgement until it arrives.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:59 AM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You mean the 918 non-functional design study?
Old 01-23-2012, 10:53 AM
hey32g
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Good, that way you can take people for a ride in it and tell them how much you hate the rear end of the C7, and you'll be an expert, because you'll have stared at the tail end of a bunch of C7's as they pull away from you.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:14 PM
ghostmech
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd rather have this over your NSX......

Old 01-23-2012, 12:44 PM
SlickShoes
_Sloth Whisperer_
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

NSX concept = lame.

That car looks to me like nothing more than pilfered and plagiarized design cues from everybody else's actually-original and inspiring designs. It's like an episode of Pimp My Ride where they're sitting at the round table discussing the build direction for those abominations...

"Hey, design shop, whatcha got?"

"We're gonna go with an R8, boss."

"Good. Front end team, your input please!"

"We're just gonna graft our TL fascia on, it'll be too many hot!"

"Check. Mid section team, whats on deck?"

"Well boss, we like the 458, so that's what we're channeling."

"Okay. Now, rear section crew, what's the final touch?"

"Yo dawg, we heard they like Aston Martins so we're giving it One77 tail lights!"

"Perfect! Go team, go!"

Old 01-23-2012, 02:56 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SlickShoes

NSX concept = lame.

That car looks to me like nothing more than pilfered and plagiarized design cues from everybody else's actually-original and inspiring designs. It's like an episode of Pimp My Ride where they're sitting at the round table discussing the build direction for those abominations...

"Yo dawg, we heard they like Aston Martins so we're giving it One77 tail lights!"

"Perfect! Go team, go!"
Old 01-23-2012, 05:42 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by thirtythird
Why exactly? What problem is solved with more complexity for a super car? For econo cars I get it, but for super cars, I don't.

Power, performance, and economy, I am still amazed at what they did with the LS2/LS3/LS7. I think it compares well with anything out there even today.
While some people see complexity, others see simplicity. I see hybrid technology as adding simplicity. The complex part is in software. But the hardware for anything electric drive is more simple than a 3-speed transmission.

you're an idiot.
you're an idiot also.

That's the most rude comment I have read and a while. We're even.

It's my opinion, I am entitled to it. In my opinion, adding hybrid capabilities to any performance car ruins it. With all the fuel-saving technologies available these days, a hybrid simply seems pointless. Especially in the form of a performance car.

Don't like it? That's fine. You can have your own opinion. That's how it works.

And why is this thread even in the C7 section?
You made me LOL. Thanks. One day you'll learn what the word "opinion" means and then you'll say "DOH! I've used that word wrong SO many times."

you've missed the point of the hybrid performance car. it is NOT the same thing as a hybrid fuel economy car. please research. aside from possible added weight, there is no negative thing about it.

and you comment was not an opinion. it was a attempted statement of fact. if you had said "it's a hybrid, therefor I do not like it", that is an opinion. but saying "hybrid=crap" is a false statement, not an opinion.
Exactly.

Apologies, I did not realize that members would take something so seriously. I don't like hybrid performance, and you can save your breathe trying to convince me otherwise. I'm not changing my mind.

I have seen plenty of the Porsche 918, and I don't like it either. Sorry.
Nobody needs to convince you. At some point you simply won't have a choice other than to keep driving your 20-40 year old cars around. In 10 years from now most cars will either be hybrids or full electric and you simply don't have a choice in the matter. 100% gasoline driven cars are going the way of the dodo because efficiency is the only thing on the table. Even if the economy never changed, the performance and reliability is increased with hybrid technology, so don't expect manufacturers to see your cry for help and put their hands out to save the gas-only vehicles. That's simply not going to happen.

But good luck with that. People will think you're driving classics around because you're hip and cool. Not ignorant. So they'll never know and we'll never tell.

Originally Posted by SlickShoes
NSX concept = lame.

"Perfect! Go team, go!"

LOL! Ok that was funny. You watch that show too much cause you got that down!
Old 01-23-2012, 05:59 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

... you're an idiot.
Ya better be careful calling CF members those bad names.

You might get the "Name Calling ****" police Millenium 04 and OSHP1295 on your case. Of course, if you do, so what.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:29 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
In 10 years from now most cars will either be hybrids or full electric
Wanna bet!!!
Hybrid technology has been around 100 years, yet there are now just 3 or 4% of the cars on the road hybrid, and estimates are looking for 10% by 2015.

actually cost per mile for electric cars at this time is 3 cents per mile higher than the average cost of gas cars.. the projected change as years go by, and this is by the people trying to sell electric cars so may be skewed a little their way, is it will be 2018 before they cost the same, and by 2030 electric will cost 4 cents a mile less.

This does not account for what will happen with the massive demand on producing electricity or the disposing of batteries, (which are hazardous waste) when even a paltry 15% of the cars on the road are electric.

Electric/hybrid will never be most, it is a stop gap technology until Hydrogen fuel technologies are up to speed unless someone figures out how to make micro fusion reactors before then.

I believe there will never be more than 10% hybrid/electric, but more than 50%, MOST cars will be, not a chance.

Last edited by hig4s; 01-23-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:02 PM
vant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree ^^^

I remember back in junior high school I actually thought that electric cars would be everywhere by the time I got my license. That was back in the 90's.

Neh, in 10 years from now most cars will still be internal combustion.

By the way, I'm still waiting on that flying car that folds into a briefcase.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:03 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hig4s
Wanna bet!!!
Hybrid technology has been around 100 years, yet there are now just 3 or 4% of the cars on the road hybrid, and estimates are looking for 10% by 2015.

actually cost per mile for electric cars at this time is 3 cents per mile higher than the average cost of gas cars.. the projected change as years go by, and this is by the people trying to sell electric cars so may be skewed a little their way, is it will be 2018 before they cost the same, and by 2030 electric will cost 4 cents a mile less.

This does not account for what will happen with the massive demand on producing electricity or the disposing of batteries, (which are hazardous waste) when even a paltry 15% of the cars on the road are electric.

Electric/hybrid will never be most, it is a stop gap technology until Hydrogen fuel technologies are up to speed unless someone figures out how to make micro fusion reactors before then.

I believe there will never be more than 10% hybrid/electric, but more than 50%, MOST cars will be, not a chance.
Originally Posted by vant
Agree ^^^

I remember back in junior high school I actually thought that electric cars would be everywhere by the time I got my license. That was back in the 90's.

Neh, in 10 years from now most cars will still be internal combustion.

By the way, I'm still waiting on that flying car that folds into a briefcase.
Once again close-minded thinking.

Hybrid technology has been around a long time, yes I know. And what's the difference between now and 100 years ago? How come battery-electric cars faded out in favor of the combustion engine?

Let me answer that for you: "Technology"

If you're going by those statistics of 3-4% of cars on the road are hybrids and you extrapolate from 100 years ago, you'll see there's an exponential curve. LOL 5 years from today, 10%? No... I doubt that. I think more like 15-20%. 10 years from now, the majority easily. Electric cars revolved around battery technology for the longest time, and now there have been huge advancements in battery technology which could be huge game changers. For instance the battery sludge that can make charging a car like filling gas - http://www.gizmag.com/semi-solid-flo...-design/18907/.

And when you're giving statistics about what cars are on the road are hybrids, you forget to realize that the majority of cars on the road are NOT new. There are a lot of older cars on the road and the majority of them are pre-new-hybrid era. So you should go by what cars are sold, not being driven. 4% of new car sales are hybrids. That will definitely increase as cost for the hybrids drop. What made hybrids cost so much before was the lack of electric motor/controller manufacturers. Now there are more options. LOTS more options. Everything new starts slow but with our manufacturing technology, we ramp things up fast.

And please don't talk about batteries being harmful to the environment Mr. Gasoline-Only. There are other hybrid technologies that don't use batteries, like nanotube-based super-caps and flywheel energy storage. Again close-minded people will ignore new but CURRENTLY USED technology and make points valid to technology based 10 years ago.

You probably haven't even thought about the hybrid buses that use flywheel technology hybrid drives that don't even have electric motors. They're 100% combustion, but I bet you're really against those because they're still hybrid.

Before you try to make points about time and technology, do the math and research first. If you did the math you'd see that (based on your numbers) the curve for the trends are exponential and not linear. You'd be totally right if the trends were linear because then we'd be waiting 100's of years before this technology would be viable.

The difference is that companies are actually working hard to increase their green outlook. Whether or not "climate change" is real is not even in the cards. What matters is that the companies know that green sells. That's all there is to it. The majority of cars are sold in Southern California. That's where all us green-liberal-commie-hippie types are. And there's nothing you can do about that.

I support the green-trends. Why? Because I like things being efficient. It bothers me when I'm cruising at 75MPH on the freeway and my gas engine is producing 60BHP when I only really need 30BHP. It's not about saving gas or the planet, but about efficiency. Sure I would love to have a 7th speed so I can kick it down to 40BHP at the same speed, but regardless there is energy wasted.

Good thing SOMEONE on here does their research. If we left it to you guys we'd be in the stone age.

Last edited by SCM_Crash; 01-23-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:11 PM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostmech
I'd rather have this over your NSX......

whatever that is looks badass
Old 01-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I didn't bother reading the whole thread (its far too long with a lot of bitching and moaning), but for those uneducated about the benefits of a hybrid system in a super car, simply look at the Porsche GT3R Hybrid they've been racing.

That is one hybrid technology I wouldn't mind seeing in a streetable super car.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:48 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

and it's not a battery-hybrid.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

"You're an idiot." Really? We're just insulting each other now, and that's okay?

Get notified of new replies

To Ill take this over a new C7

Old 01-23-2012, 09:59 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
\You made me LOL. Thanks. One day you'll learn what the word "opinion" means and then you'll say "DOH! I've used that word wrong SO many times."

People will think you're driving classics around because you're hip and cool. Not ignorant. So they'll never know and we'll never tell.
Hey man, simmer down. If you'd take the time to look, I edited my post to please those who seem to have a problem with it. I honestly didn't think anyone would take that much offense to it. Take a chill pill and go buy your hybrid, I could care less.

You are completely correct, cars will continue to trend toward more hybrids, and there is nothing I can do about it. That will not make me like them anymore than I do now. Until that time comes, I will drive what I enjoy driving. Luckily for you, that is my decision and you won't have to be concerned with it. You have no proof of my "ignorance".
Old 01-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Lifted07Sierra
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where in the hell did my thread get taken to?
Old 01-23-2012, 10:51 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Lifted07Sierra
Where in the hell did my thread get taken to?
I apologize. I wasn't aware that my original post would cause such hysteria. Sorry :/

Quick Reply: Ill take this over a new C7