Snip it from May 2012 Motor Trend

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 02:04 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
didn't the vette make 155 hp one year
Yes, I think in the first few years (straight 6) it was only 150hp. But I think all of the V8 models were always higher than that, even during the really dark days of the L48 (180hp?) smog motors.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:21 AM
ZishanM
Pro

Received 276 Likes on 120 Posts

Are there any Direct Engine push-rod V8 variants at the moment?

What are they placed in?
Old 03-25-2012, 07:45 AM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it might be good to look over at the competition with the blue oval and see what they're doing to get a better handle on what GM might be up to.

Take a look at the Ford F150. They now offer, as an OPTION, moving UP to the EcoBoost engine, a version of Ford's twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter V-6 that puts out 365 horsepower and 420 pound-feet.

That's 15-20 hp MORE than a standard C5. Certainly nothing to sneeze at and that's when tuned for a truck for maximum torque. GM almost certainly is looking to compete in that area.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:22 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
didn't the vette make 155 hp one year
As Marc posted, the first model had a 150 HP six and the '54 and few '55 six cylinder cars were 155 HP. In the more modern era, the '75 Corvette had a standard V-8 putting out a whopping 165 HP.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:36 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by HZ3
Someone who's seriously starting to wonder if buying a car that appeals to people who can't sport a hard on without government... err I mean pharmaceutical assistance... "wrong flaccid Jimmy..." would be bad for my image
Originally Posted by Jinx
You won't shut up about how young and wealthy and cool you are, and now it comes out that you've been thinking about our junk. So who is it that's compensating for something?

You are the most entertaining troll I can remember. But before you get too flattered, keep in mind I'm old and my memory isn't so good...
I think you nailed it, Jinx. Hmm - maybe he's got a "ghey" thing for older guys, and enveys the toys they've got...............
Old 03-25-2012, 03:43 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by HZ3
Probably right I didn't make enough cash donations to the site to justify flaming new members for stating a negative opinion about a failing auto company and a vehicle that's selling to people more inclined to buy a walker in the next 10 years than a sports car...
So - you've got all that supposed money and yet are too cheap to subscribe to a paying membership? Prove it, dude, and put your money where your mouth is.............. of course, it's gonna take a LOT of cash to fill that big hole!
Old 03-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by JACKAL0PE
I think it might be good to look over at the competition with the blue oval and see what they're doing to get a better handle on what GM might be up to.
I think Ford has been quite ambitious pushing forced induction as a substitute for displacement. GM has not, and while I don't think they'll never join the party, I also don't think they're about to me-too what Ford's doing.

Instead, I expect them to leverage their strengths in the short-term, sticking to V8s on trucks while bringing forced induction up through the car & CUV side of the business. In other words, look for the pushrod V8 to get significantly more efficient (no surprise to longtime residents of this forum), with direct injection and (on trucks) widespread adoption of displacement on demand. (I know GM has another name for it, but it's stupid.) They'll also shift displacements down to maintain similar power levels at greater efficiency, rather than greater power levels at similar efficiency. For example, a 5.3-5.5L motor will replace the 6.0L. Their marketing will play up the V8 angle, versus Ford's EcoBoost story.

Meanwhile, the turbo fours will knock off all the V6s except the 3.6L. I'd say they'd add displacement on demand to the 3.6L V6 but that creates a three-cylinder and NVH issues. Might we see a larger-displacement blown four-pot and a smaller-displacement DoD V8 squeeze the V6 from both sides? That would be cool...

.Jinx
Old 03-25-2012, 04:20 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by HZ3
Gotta love the moderation on this site "crickets"

Seems everything I post in turns into a flamewar or a gay bashing fest glad we got off on the right foot guys and you can handle diversified opinions... lol
Wow - you bash people first, and then go all sanctimonius and "holier than thou" when they reply in kind? You sure know how to talk out of both sides of your mouth - without puting your money there, that is............
Old 03-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by HZ3
Seems everything I post in turns into a flamewar or a gay bashing fest glad we got off on the right foot guys and you can handle diversified opinions... lol
Jesus, you still don't get it. It's not your "diversified opinions," it's your insults. And what gay-bashing? I said you might be compensating.

Stick to cars. Not how ballin' you are, not how we fit your ageist and classist slurs, just cars.

.Jinx
Old 03-25-2012, 06:23 PM
Nick_D
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by niteriderc5
I would not mind having a base 380hp-400hp DI Turbo 3.6 V6 Priced under $45k

Std V8 potentiality name LS4 5.5? 6.2? would be rated 530hp with base price of $50k
GM already has a V8 named LS4. It is the 5.3L V8 producing 303 HP and 323 torque. It is used in the Monte carlo ss, impala ss, and pontiac grand prix gxp. Also used in the Silverados of course! It is an active fuel management engine.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:27 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

I think I read somewhere the Gen V V8 would be given an LT designation.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:39 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Nick_D
GM already has a V8 named LS4. It is the 5.3L V8 producing 303 HP and 323 torque. It is used in the Monte carlo ss, impala ss, and pontiac grand prix gxp. Also used in the Silverados of course! It is an active fuel management engine.
True, I'm pretty sure that the new engine's designation won't be called LS4.
I'm thinkin' LS5 or maybe even LS8?
LS10?

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I think I read somewhere the Gen V V8 would be given an LT designation.
Yes that was posted here somewhere just last week, I don't see them going that route but it is still possible.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:18 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Just as when the C5 debuted and everybody was like huh "transmission is in the back? LS what? On the fly throttle injection?"

I think GM's got a lot in their arsenal and is not revealing crap. When it hits don't be surprised to see 1 thing or the other happen. We are either going to get a "little taste" in 2013 and see a C7 that will essentially be a C6.5 with some refinements. In a year or two we then will see the 2015/2016 C8 which will be a complete redesign and show all the bells and whistles. OR we are going to see the redesign next year. Either way....I just don't see GM following Ford or Mopar...in respect to the Corvette. Never have...never will. V6 return to the Corvette? I guess anything is possible but not very likely at all...we are talking a Corvette here...not a Camaro or Mustang.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:21 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
Sounds like an educated guess more than a GM leak. Logically you'd build the base car first, then build the special or HP versions off the base model you've created. GM wouldn't hold off on releasing the base C7 for 9-12 months while they finished the Z06, GS or ZR1. A staggered release also has a significant side benefit for GM, it would motivate some Corvette enthusiasts to purchase multiple cars (You know who you are. GM loves you. ), a base in 2014, then an HP model 2-3 years later, it's an extra sale they wouldn't make if all the choices were available in year one. Given the number of Corvette enthusiasts, this could be a significant number of cars.

Personally, I don't believe the CAFE comment. The Z06 & ZR1 sell in such small quantities relative to other GM models it wouldn't impact the corporate average much at all.
Reasonable logic and I don't believe the CAFE comment either. I think the GS and base vert and coupe with be released at the same time but not sure what availability will be for the vert at first. I really don't know what to think about the Zs yet. I'm betting there will be '14 C7 Zs but when they will be introduced may depend on how the other C7s are received.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:22 AM
localhrox
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanthophyll
Cool! A V6! We're in Mustang & Camaro territory now.

Great comment. LMAO.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:13 PM
PhiDeltBeers
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I know the Corvette is the standard for the term "American Muscle," (which is what the big V8 is all about), however, there are a couple cars with 6 cylinders pushing out well over 500hp and cost $100k-$160k (GT-R and 911 Turbo). I know that takes away from the American Muscle agenda, but it can be done. I don't think that if GM puts in a V6...it's going to be on par with a Mustang or Camaro. But I'm assuming a LOT of Corvette owners like the simple, large displacement, push-rod engine and they don't want that to go away. JMO.

I will say, being a GT-R owner, that I was always envious of that V8 sound! But loud doesn't always mean fast. I remember the 300hp Mustang GT's that had exhaust (sounded great) that would get destroyed by my old BMW 335i (not loud at all).

I now own a Lexus IS-F, and while not near the car of a 911 Turbo or GT-R,...there IS something to be loved about a V8 under the hood. Just my perspective having owned several different labels of vehicles.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:48 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PhiDeltBeers
I know the Corvette is the standard for the term "American Muscle," (which is what the big V8 is all about), however, there are a couple cars with 6 cylinders pushing out well over 500hp and cost $100k-$160k (GT-R and 911 Turbo). I know that takes away from the American Muscle agenda, but it can be done. I don't think that if GM puts in a V6...it's going to be on par with a Mustang or Camaro. But I'm assuming a LOT of Corvette owners like the simple, large displacement, push-rod engine and they don't want that to go away.
True, but I don't think they're talking about a high horsepower/boosted V6. I believe the 'supposed' possible V6 installation in question here would not be touted as the car's sole engine or even as a true performance variant. If it were to happen (I don't think it actually will) it would most likely be a base Corvette model with a naturally aspirated but still somewhat potent V6 in it marketed towards a more 'budget minded' sports car buyer and also used as a tool to raise the overall fuel economy ratings for the entire Corvette line up. I think.

Get notified of new replies

To Snip it from May 2012 Motor Trend

Old 03-28-2012, 07:35 PM
onedaydreamcar
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm probably one if the younger to (rarely) post, but I don't think a v6 would do anything for the vette. most young guys don't look that highly on the vette as it is, but a v6 would just hurt the name further. many manufacturers still use the v8, the vette has almost always had one, and the pushtod is an amazing engine. Imho, I don't see a v6 happening, if anything just a smaller displacement.

As far as the little age dispute, when I graduate my concerns will be a few years off from worrying about a sport car, and even then I will be lucky to look at a used c5z. I'm in a pretty difficult major, so I'm not just going to be broke hopefully. I can attest to you there are thousands upon thousands of people just like me, and mommy and daddy didn't just hook us up. Most of us are looking at a slow economy and worried more about financial security to have a roof over our heads. That's the truth for most early to mid 20 somethings because I'm living it.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Xanthophyll
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 28 Posts

with the last several posts above me. I'm all for a V6, but only if it's some supercharged beast. If they're doing it for Economy & CAFE purposes.... forget it. Are we talking about a 325-400 HP V6 on the C7 platform that would sit under the base V8?

Don't need it, don't want it! Throw in a cloth interior, AM/FM radio (with optional CD player!) and some steelies for wheels, and we've got a budget C7! Just think.... you can have the Chevy Corvette name at Chevy Malibu/Impala prices!

Look at the line forming around the block!

Last edited by Xanthophyll; 03-28-2012 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:46 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Xanthophyll
.... . If they're doing it for Economy & CAFE purposes.... forget it. Are we talking about a 325-400 HP V6 on the C7 platform that would sit under the base V8? .... Look at the line forming around the block!
If you knew the history of Corvette sales, you would see the highest year-to-year run rate sales figures in the car's 59 year history occurred when the car was powered by relatively anemic power plants, during the 7th through 14th years of the C3 model run.

Quick Reply: Snip it from May 2012 Motor Trend