Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 05:01 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
.... it doesn't mean there aren't thousands of 25 year olds driving new Corvettes either ....
And I didn't say there were not 25 year old buyers of new Corvettes. I bought my first new Corvette roadster, a '67 model in 1967, at the ripe old age of 24 years, 9 months.

I would beg to differ that thousands of 25 year old people buy new Corvettes though. If that were the case, the average age of a Corvette buyer wouldn't be 54 or the latest average age du jour.

Last edited by jackhall99; 03-30-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:02 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99
Sorry, but a dumb post my friend.

4" is enough to do the job. And many a lady has a smile pasted across her face from a 1/2" part.
Agreed....Gspots only 3" deep man...unless you're hittin a fatty....

Old 03-30-2012, 05:10 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Back on topic folks.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Point is, GM isn't going to make a significantly cheaper Corvette, V6 or otherwise.

They can't do it profitably on the current chassis.

They won't build a whole new car on the Alpha platform -- it'll just cannibalize Camaro and Cadillac ATS sales.

So when the magazines drag out the dead V6 horse and beat on it some more, just laugh and move on.

.Jinx
Old 03-30-2012, 08:45 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

You say this with some confidence as if things like this haven't happened before. The balance between Camaro and Corvette performance has always flirted with disaster at times causing one to infringe on the other. The line between Corvette and Camaro performance, by the standards that many simpletons judge performance, has often been a close one.

Look at the Porsche 944 (951)...it hilled 911 sales in that era, all to deliver a bang for the buck car. Car companies have done it, and noone often knows why.

The GM "doh", blundar list is long. It's amazing what the marketing dept and bean counters can come up with, who often seem to have a disconnect from the market. At the same time, if the Corvette debuts in Detroit with this Camaro *** end, I'll be holding my breath when it comes to a V6 model.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:26 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I say this with some confidence as if GM has not put a new smaller engine in the Corvette to date. (Dropping a mere 4 cubic inches from C4 to C5 doesn't count.) C7 may be the first time the V8 actually shrinks a non-trivial amount, and you know they'll get the stink-eye for it if they do. They're not also going to introduce a much-less-powerful car, with fewer cylinders, not when every other sports car continues to increase power. That's an unfathomable level of stupidity, even for GM.

I say this with some confidence as if GM has not created a Chevrolet performance car to fit between the Camaro and Corvette to date.

I say this with some confidence as if Corvette is a Chevrolet with an existing "entry-level" car to support it i.e. Camaro. That's its 914/924/944/968/Boxster/Cayman.

I say this with some confidence as if GM is still conservative with its platform development resources in the wake of its bankruptcy, focused on critical markets with real volume as well as profit potential. A niche within the sports car market? Come on.

I say this as GM has spent the last half-decade taking Corvette upmarket and taking crap for interior shortcomings. A decontented Corvette? Come on.

Way way WAY too much has been made of GM's "younger audience" comment.

.Jinx
Old 03-31-2012, 01:58 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
I say this with some confidence as if GM has not put a new smaller engine in the Corvette to date. (Dropping a mere 4 cubic inches from C4 to C5 doesn't count.) C7 may be the first time the V8 actually shrinks a non-trivial amount, and you know they'll get the stink-eye for it if they do. They're not also going to introduce a much-less-powerful car, with fewer cylinders, not when every other sports car continues to increase power. That's an unfathomable level of stupidity, even for GM.

I say this with some confidence as if GM has not created a Chevrolet performance car to fit between the Camaro and Corvette to date.

I say this with some confidence as if Corvette is a Chevrolet with an existing "entry-level" car to support it i.e. Camaro. That's its 914/924/944/968/Boxster/Cayman.

I say this with some confidence as if GM is still conservative with its platform development resources in the wake of its bankruptcy, focused on critical markets with real volume as well as profit potential. A niche within the sports car market? Come on.

I say this as GM has spent the last half-decade taking Corvette upmarket and taking crap for interior shortcomings. A decontented Corvette? Come on.

Way way WAY too much has been made of GM's "younger audience" comment.
Very good points.

Quick Reply: Snip it from May 2012 Motor Trend