Sponsored by:

why buy c7

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 12:28 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Default why buy c7

It will be down on cubic inches no supercharger. The viper will have 640 horse power mustang around 650. Who wants to be embrassed by a nissan gtr.

I don't want a poser in other words just looking good and not running, won't cut it with me.
z51vett
Looking for zr1 or z06/z07 to carry me over my last 427 was in 1970.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:01 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by z51vett
It will be down on cubic inches no supercharger.
Says who?
Do you know something that we don't?
You've actually seen/confirmed the detailed engine/power specifications directly from GM/Chevrolet on the 2014 Corvette?

The viper will have 640 horse power mustang around 650.
And the new Ferrari 630GT has over 700hp and the current Mazda Miata has 167hp too.
The Viper will likely MSRP at well over $100k and the Mustang GT500 weighs almost 3900 pounds.
The current Corvette essentially has no competition because NO OTHER manufacturer even offers a car that can do all (that's power/straight line speed/handling/braking/comfort/interior space/fuel economy/simple maintenance etc.) that a base Corvette can do for the same (or even similar) price.
The next Corvette will be no different in that regard even if does make only 10 horsepower more than the current base car.

That being said, do I really want only a 440hp 5.5L V8 in my base C7?
No. I actually want a 485hp 6.4L Direct Injected V8 and I also want the car to weigh over 100+ pounds less than the current one as well.
So please, let's not throw in the towel on the new (not yet released with it's specs not yet confirmed) Corvette just yet, ok?

Last edited by LS1LT1; 04-24-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:16 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Who wants to be embrassed by a nissan gtr.
Well, that Nissan owner is also paying $97k+ for that privilege, maybe he earned it? LOL
The brand new C7 might have a base MSRP of under $53k.

If your neighbor has a $600k, 1 acre, 3500 square foot house and you only have a $450k, .6 acre, 2800 square foot house, are you embarrassed by this as well?
Yes his house/land is bigger.
He also paid MUCH more for it.
We can't have it all man.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

You own a 2012 Z06, right?

WTH are you whining about? Nothing is known about the Z06 or ZR1 replacements' powertrains.

Can we just leave a suggestions box at the door for everyone to drop their "I heard and I don't like" complaints? Oh, wait, that's this whole board....
Old 04-24-2012, 03:39 PM
m48xhp
Melting Slicks

Received 211 Likes on 80 Posts

you do know the C7 will have more hp and be faster than the C6 right?
Old 04-24-2012, 03:52 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Another day, another wasted click...
Old 04-24-2012, 06:21 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by redvette77
Another day, another wasted click...
With posts like z51vette's, I agree.

All this hand-wringing is dumber than dog ****! I wish everyone would just wait and find out the truth.

But then they couldn't add to their post count by stirring the pot.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:36 PM
dboz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Says who?
Do you know something that we don't?
You've actually seen/confirmed the detailed engine/power specifications directly from GM/Chevrolet on the 2014 Corvette?

And the new Ferrari 630GT has over 700hp and the current Mazda Miata has 167hp too.
The Viper will likely MSRP at well over $100k and the Mustang GT500 weighs almost 3900 pounds.
The current Corvette essentially has no competition because NO OTHER manufacturer even offers a car that can do all (that's power/straight line speed/handling/braking/comfort/interior space/fuel economy/simple maintenance etc.) that a base Corvette can do for the same (or even similar) price.
The next Corvette will be no different in that regard even if does make only 10 horsepower more than the current base car.

No. I actually want a 485hp 6.4L Direct Injected V8 and I also want the car to weigh over 100+ pounds less than the current one as well.
So please, let's not throw in the towel on the new (not yet released with it's specs not yet confirmed) Corvette just yet, ok?

I thought you described the ZL1 Camaro perfectly.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:20 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dboz
I thought you described the ZL1 Camaro perfectly.
Yes, the Camaro ZL1 (and the Mustang GT500 for that matter) do perform as well as (or better than) a base Corvette in some areas.
But they also:

- cost upwards of $5k+ more (closer to $10k if you factor in current Corvette rebates/incentives), ZL1s and GT500 sell only for MSRP or more
- are not as fuel efficient (I've seen a Corvette get 32mpg on the highway at 60mph)
- do not match the Corvette's top speed (the 2013 GT500 should exceed it though)

But they do have rear seats and look pretty good too which is a plus.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:11 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

For 60 years and a million and a half cars, Chevrolet has found a welcome buying audience for the Corvette. If the C7 version is not your cup of tea, it will appeal to thousands of others who's expectations and requirements may be different than yours, or mine or Billy Bob's.

They have people who figure this stuff out long before the first frame is ever welded. They know what will sell and who it will sell to. They know who has the money to buy and what their desires are. They build within those parameters along with the cost and safety parameters. And no matter what they build it's going to be a compromise because you can't please everybody.

Viper and GTR sales numbers are peanuts. If Chevrolet planned on selling only as many units as both of those models combined, they likely would not even produce the Corvette C7 imho.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:26 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
For 60 years and a million and a half cars, Chevrolet has found a welcome buying audience for the Corvette. If the C7 version is not your cup of tea, it will appeal to thousands of others who's expectations and requirements may be different than yours, or mine or Billy Bob's.

They have people who figure this stuff out long before the first frame is ever welded. They know what will sell and who it will sell to. They know who has the money to buy and what their desires are. They build within those parameters along with the cost and safety parameters. And no matter what they build it's going to be a compromise because you can't please everybody.

Viper and GTR sales numbers are peanuts. If Chevrolet planned on selling only as many units as both of those models combined, they likely would not even produce the Corvette C7 imho.
This is pretty darn well stated. I'm glad someone else understands marketing.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:35 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I like Ice Cream!

Old 04-24-2012, 09:37 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
To be fair, there are things Corvette doesn't do as well as many other cars. It's still an amazing machine -- it's actually depressing to think about alternatives for a change of pace -- but after nine years in essentially the same car, the shortcomings start to grate. Just not enough that one is easily moved to give up 100hp, 400lb, or $30,000...

And don't think GM doesn't know this. Remember the 2004 Mustang Cobra? It served up 390hp and C6 General Discussion was white-hot with insistence that the next Corvette needed to show up with 440+hp or it might as well just stay home.

I remember taking a survey by mail in 2003 or 2004 that asked some pretty pointed questions about how much of a premium I'd be willing to pay for a 50hp bump. I wonder, if all C7s get an aluminum frame, giving Z06 less with which to differentiate itself, might we actually see the return of an optional engine, or at least a package that's 80% engine like C5 Z06?

If you think about it, that's actually a damned clever way to get a price bump. If an extra 80hp is just $5,000 more...

Okay, probably not, but it's fun to think about. Here's your 440hp 327, and there's your 520hp 396
Old 04-24-2012, 10:02 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default Gt-r

It will be down on cubic inches no supercharger. The viper will have 640 horse power mustang around 650. Who wants to be embrassed by a nissan gtr.

I don't want a poser in other words just looking good and not running, won't cut it with me.
z51vett
Looking for zr1 or z06/z07 to carry me over my last 427 was in 1970.
Is a great car that just keeps evolving into an ever faster beast.
The c7 zr1 will uphold the corvette reputation aging the other monsters. The bugatti makes them all also rans.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:53 PM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

The Corvette will continue to evolve. The C7 will be an improvement over the C6 just as the C6 was an improvement over the C5… even though we call the C6 the C5.5.

I doubt that GM will really screw with its past success with the Corvette. Just like the Porche continues to slowly evolve, I think that GM will take the same path with the Corvette

If you look at all the various performance models out there, all the manufacturers are raising the bar. Over the past few years GM has offered our Corvettes from the base to the ZR1 in an effort to be somewhat competitive with what the other manufacturers have to offer the performance market

Corvette has been very involved in racing and I imagine we will see the fruits of their racing efforts. I think that we will see an improvement in performance, handling and fuel economy as well as the expected upgrading of the interior because GM still expects us older guys to replace our C6 with a new C7

And yes the C7 Corvette will still be the best bang for the buck
Old 04-25-2012, 12:14 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy D
… even though we call the C6 the C5.5.
Speak for yourself. The C6 is certainly it's own car.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:20 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I remember buying my Z06 in 04 and people were pretty regularly referring to the C6 as the C5.5.

The very first C6 I ever saw was in the Cabazon Outlets and my wife and I weren't even sure what we were looking at until we got up really close to it. Then she replied "I don't like it".

The Cyber Grey Z06 I would buy right now is a far cry from what a base coupe looked like in 2005. The difference is the C6 styling evolved mid cycle like the C4 did, when the C5 pretty much looked the same inside and out from 1997-2004. Let's be honest, the C5Z added a brake duct and some screens and that is about it.

I love my C5Z but I think it would have been cooler to have a bigger styling difference as seen in the C6Z and ZR1

Get notified of new replies

To why buy c7

Old 04-25-2012, 02:50 PM
vant
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WildVettes
I remember buying my Z06 in 04 and people were pretty regularly referring to the C6 as the C5.5.

The very first C6 I ever saw was in the Cabazon Outlets and my wife and I weren't even sure what we were looking at until we got up really close to it. Then she replied "I don't like it".

The Cyber Grey Z06 I would buy right now is a far cry from what a base coupe looked like in 2005. The difference is the C6 styling evolved mid cycle like the C4 did, when the C5 pretty much looked the same inside and out from 1997-2004. Let's be honest, the C5Z added a brake duct and some screens and that is about it.
Uh, I think you're forgetting one other minor styling difference.

Originally Posted by WildVettes
I love my C5Z but I think it would have been cooler to have a bigger styling difference as seen in the C6Z and ZR1
The only styling differences between the C6 coupe body and the C6Z body are the flared fenders, brake cooling ducts, and a vent in the nose. In fact, many owners have done widebody conversions to their coupes to copy that style. I agree that the wider C6Z looks better than the coupe, but in terms of the body itself, it's not much more than a few, easily interchangeable parts.

The C5Z, on the other hand, has a completely unique roofline (excluding the 99-00 FRC, of course). The notchback style totally changed the demeanor of the car as compared to the coupe. Not to mention, it isn't remotely simple, practical, or affordable to replicate in the coupe. In my opinion, the difference in roofline styles makes a more significant visual impact than fender flares do.

However, I suppose you could add fender flares to your C5Z and have the best of both worlds.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:57 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by vant
Uh, I think you're forgetting one other minor styling difference.

The only styling differences between the C6 coupe body and the C6Z body are the flared fenders, brake cooling ducts, and a vent in the nose. In fact, many owners have done widebody conversions to their coupes to copy that style. I agree that the wider C6Z looks better than the coupe, but in terms of the body itself, it's not much more than a few, easily interchangeable parts.

The C5Z, on the other hand, has a completely unique roofline (excluding the 99-00 FRC, of course). The notchback style totally changed the demeanor of the car as compared to the coupe. Not to mention, it isn't remotely simple, practical, or affordable to replicate in the coupe. In my opinion, the difference in roofline styles makes a more significant visual impact than fender flares do.

However, I suppose you could add fender flares to your C5Z and have the best of both worlds.
You can get the same look in a convertible but you are right about the roof minus the FRC. The FRC was a basic stripped down model and it was a base model so the styling stuff for the Z06 wasn't unique to it.

I have a convertible as well and would love a convertible C7, but I am guessing they won't be available at launch.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Originally Posted by BlueOx

I was referring to way back in 2005 when many of us on this forum considered it a C5.5 as there were many items that were carried over from the C5

Just as we (members of this forum) may consider the C7 a C6.5 unless there are significant changes in the C7

Quick Reply: why buy c7