Sponsored by:

'13 or '14 which will it be

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 06:37 AM
skibones
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '13 or '14 which will it be

Should I wait the extra year for the 2014 vette or order the 2013 now?
Old 04-29-2012, 07:57 AM
Qweklain
Racer

Why not wait until the 2014's are revealed for two reasons.

1)You can truly decide if you want the C7 or not.

2)If you do not want a C7, a lot of C6s will be getting kicked fast for the ones who do, thus increasing the amount on the used market, which will not only give more options but it will also mean lower prices on them.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:18 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Depends what you want. The C6 is a fabulous car( I have 2, a 2006 & a 2010 GS, also had a 2008 Z06). Each year of the C6 has been improved, & the 2013 will undoubtedly be the best with all the bugs worked out & the most refined example produced. So you can go with that, get a great price at a big discount from MSRP & have fun. Or you can wait another year & a half, buy a C7 at full MSRP, with none of the normal startup bugs resolved, which you & all the other gotta have the latest & greatest model will be the guinea pigs for, as the inevitable teething takes place. Also, it's highly unlikely that the full range of models & body styles will be available at startup( Z06, ZR1, vert, etc), as GM & other manufacturers don't release all their models at once, so that they can keep interest alive during the length of the generation life cycle. The first year of the C6 generation(2005) although a good car, had the old style 4 speed automatic, weak rear end, dead battery issues & a host of other issues to get straightened out. As a result, the 2006 & 2007 models made needed improvements with the A6 6 speed auto available( which also needed to be improved) & it wasn't until 2008 that significant changes were made to really finally get things cooking for the C6. So if you get the C6, wait at least 3 or 4 years from now( 5 yrs would be better), you could have a proven product & then slide over to a C7 with a full model range available with nice discount & bugs worked out. However, if you can't restrain yourself & fall all over yourself when the C7 is scheduled to be revealed at the detroit auto show in january( you will have a lot of company), then by all means buy a C7 & forget all the above rational sane thinking. Nothing wrong with being an out of control vette junkie( like most of us on here), & feeding your habit. You're in good company.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Wow, musclecar6 said it all.

We're all facing the same dilemma I guess. Personally, I would reasonably be in the market for a Z06 in about 6 months from now. But then the C7 will come shortly after. The base C6 was on par with the C5 Z06. So it sounds like a crazy move to buy a C6 Z06. However there's this bug issue that many people mention. So I guess I'll keep riding my C6 Z51 for a while, after all.

Last edited by Nitrous Oxide; 04-29-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

OMG first year bugs OMG. You know what? Most 2005 buyers had no regrets. Me included. I think back quite fondly on that first year of ownership, especially the first few months of ownership when complete strangers stopped, stared, approached, and asked questions with a sense of respect and awe -- for the car, obviously, the driver was just a crazy/lucky sob. A little bit of that special Corvette mystique lasts forever, but never is it more potent than when people see their first new-generation Corvette.

.Jinx
Old 04-29-2012, 12:00 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

I am hoping (!) that the C7 will be relitively bug free upon introduction since it is based on the C6. The C6 was certainly less buggy than the C5 was when it was intro'd in 1997. I had a 2005 C6 and it was a walk in the park compared to my 1998 C5 convertible (1st year of the C5 convertible)

Jimmy
Old 04-29-2012, 12:26 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
OMG first year bugs OMG. You know what? Most 2005 buyers had no regrets. Me included. I think back quite fondly on that first year of ownership, especially the first few months of ownership when complete strangers stopped, stared, approached, and asked questions with a sense of respect and awe -- for the car, obviously, the driver was just a crazy/lucky sob. A little bit of that special Corvette mystique lasts forever, but never is it more potent than when people see their first new-generation Corvette.
100%
Old 04-29-2012, 01:09 PM
Endeka
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

TIL that the fleeting admiration of a couple dozen people makes up for weeks of the car being in the shop and thousands of dollars of additional maintenance over the life of the car.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

.Jinx
Maybe, I'll just play 'wait and see' then. ;-) But I'm more likely to wait for a Z06 anyway. However, I understand the only Z will be the ZR1.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:29 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Just depends on whether you want to wait and see if they have higher performance models - like a Z or a ZR etc.

If that doesn't interest you, you should wait and see if you even like the C7, and then choose b/n it and a last year C6. If what you're really wanting to do is to get a C7 Z or ZR at some point, I'd suggest you get a last year C6, enjoy it for 3 - 4 years and then get the amped up C7 model right when it's in its sweet spot (assuming the make one and release it a year or two into the C7 run).
Old 04-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Endeka
TIL that the fleeting admiration of a couple dozen people makes up for weeks of the car being in the shop and thousands of dollars of additional maintenance over the life of the car.
The odds of weeks in the shop and thousands of additional maintenance on a first-year Corvette are very long. Especially a Corvette that isn't a total reinvention.

The odds of driving a very special car are 1:1.

But hey, fleeting snark makes up for lasting hyperbole.

.Jinx
Old 04-29-2012, 07:12 PM
trivette
Melting Slicks

Received 122 Likes on 87 Posts

I've had early VIN C4, C5, and C6 models and have no regrets. Having one of the first new ones is worth the $ (at least some of them!) A few teething issues, but no disasters. I'm first on the list for a C7 at my dealer, but am having some reservations about a new model for the first time. In my opinion, styling is potentially suspect and so is the powertrain. Until these are confirmed (Detroit '13 Auto Show) I'll keep my name on the list and see what really is the C7. The base C6 received essentially the same HP as the C5 Z06, and I would assume the C7 would follow suit; if not the HP of a Z at least the equivalent performance due to its' lighter weight. If the base model performance does not improve, there could be a lot of potential buyers looking at other vehicles. If the C7 doesn't do it for me, a low mile C6 Z06 could be in my future.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:15 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OMG first year bugs OMG. You know what? Most 2005 buyers had no regrets. Me included.
Me too! Love my '05 vert!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:26 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by musclecar6
Depends what you want. The C6 is a fabulous car( I have 2, a 2006 & a 2010 GS, also had a 2008 Z06). Each year of the C6 has been improved, & the 2013 will undoubtedly be the best with all the bugs worked out & the most refined example produced. So you can go with that, get a great price at a big discount from MSRP & have fun. Or you can wait another year & a half, buy a C7 at full MSRP, with none of the normal startup bugs resolved, which you & all the other gotta have the latest & greatest model will be the guinea pigs for, as the inevitable teething takes place. Also, it's highly unlikely that the full range of models & body styles will be available at startup( Z06, ZR1, vert, etc), as GM & other manufacturers don't release all their models at once, so that they can keep interest alive during the length of the generation life cycle. The first year of the C6 generation(2005) although a good car, had the old style 4 speed automatic, weak rear end, dead battery issues & a host of other issues to get straightened out. As a result, the 2006 & 2007 models made needed improvements with the A6 6 speed auto available( which also needed to be improved) & it wasn't until 2008 that significant changes were made to really finally get things cooking for the C6. So if you get the C6, wait at least 3 or 4 years from now( 5 yrs would be better), you could have a proven product & then slide over to a C7 with a full model range available with nice discount & bugs worked out. However, if you can't restrain yourself & fall all over yourself when the C7 is scheduled to be revealed at the detroit auto show in january( you will have a lot of company), then by all means buy a C7 & forget all the above rational sane thinking. Nothing wrong with being an out of control vette junkie( like most of us on here), & feeding your habit. You're in good company.
In other words, get whatever you feel like.

I will advise you to wait for the C8. It will be a truly revolutionary vehicle, one head and shoulders above the C7, let alone the lowly C6. Be patient, wait for the C8. But before you buy a C8, be sure to check with all your friends on the forum whether to wait for the Z06 version, or the ZR1 model. We will get you on the right path, trust us.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

If it's a big-cube Z06 (or 427 Convertible) you want, waiting may be a bad idea. It's at least a risky one.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:33 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

If it's a big-cube Z06 (or 427 Convertible) you want, waiting may be a bad idea. It's at least a risky one.

That's a good point. The grip on those may tighten a bit.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:37 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

.Jinx
I'm a little bored today, no currently lurking in C7 to respond to, so I found this that brings back a fond memory.

The first time I drove my PR '05 Cpe to work, early 9/04, as I was leaving to go home and was stopped to leave the parking lot, a C5 pulled up and stopped right in front of me blocking my exit. He just sat there and stared speechless for about a minute. Many miles of smiles began that day.

Get notified of new replies

To '13 or '14 which will it be

Old 05-03-2012, 02:13 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
I'm a little bored today, no currently lurking in C7 to respond to, so I found this that brings back a fond memory.

The first time I drove my PR '05 Cpe to work, early 9/04, as I was leaving to go home and was stopped to leave the parking lot, a C5 pulled up and stopped right in front of me blocking my exit. He just sat there and stared speechless for about a minute. Many miles of smiles began that day.
That was me the first time I'd seen a C6 in person as well.
And while I might otherwise be a person who can get bored with something quite easily, the car's appearance (and performance/driving experience) really does still excite/thrill me to this very day.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:01 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by jimmyb
I am hoping (!) that the C7 will be relitively bug free upon introduction since it is based on the C6. The C6 was certainly less buggy than the C5 was when it was intro'd in 1997. I had a 2005 C6 and it was a walk in the park compared to my 1998 C5 convertible (1st year of the C5 convertible)

Jimmy
What do you mean by "since it is based on the C6"?

In your opinion, was the C5 based on the C4?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:45 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,985 Likes on 1,221 Posts

He is saying C5 was all new - lots of first year issues, C6 was a revamped C5 - a lot less first year issues.

C7 will be a revamped C6 - expecting only minor first year problems. Makes sense.

Quick Reply: '13 or '14 which will it be