C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little recent Corvette design history...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 08:31 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The book is:
"Corvette, Sports Car Superstar"
by the auto editors of Consumer Guide.
ISBN: 1-4127-1222-X

I really like the book as it goes through the history, influences, personalities, up to and including the C6 Z06. As you can see, lots of great pics and it is a perfect coffee table book for a Vette fan.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:14 AM
zland
Drifting

Received 608 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by prinzSD455
Man, am I glad they did not go with #9! That thing looks like a Mazda RX8. Just goes to show how well the designers did with the final form of the C6 compared to a lot of those styling exercises.
Likewise I am hoping the things we see in Jalopnik sketches that are not appealing get refined, omitted & replaced. I could make a number of things I would like to see changed from those sketches but most of us I think agree the back of the C7 per Jalopnik sketches seems unattractive & does not match former Corvette design language all that well.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:16 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zland
Likewise I am hoping the things we see in Jalopnik sketches that are not appealing get refined, omitted & replaced. I could make a number of things I would like to see changed from those sketches but most of us I think agree the back of the C7 per Jalopnik sketches seems unattractive & does not match former Corvette design language all that well.

No, but it matches the Camaro design language perfectly!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:36 PM
easyrider13
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
[/B]

No, but it matches the Camaro design language perfectly!
That's my problem with it.
I hope they are playing with us.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:29 AM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by easyrider13
That's my problem with it.
I hope they are playing with us.
We need to get a leaked picture from the taillight supplier . . . Hell, I'll take a felt pen sketch on a paper napkin. Of the real thing, not a somebody's guess.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
The book is:
"Corvette, Sports Car Superstar"
by the auto editors of Consumer Guide.
ISBN: 1-4127-1222-X

I really like the book as it goes through the history, influences, personalities, up to and including the C6 Z06. As you can see, lots of great pics and it is a perfect coffee table book for a Vette fan.
So true -- probably my favorite. Check out the C6 design sketches again. A couple of them seem to have been put on the shelf, then resurrected for the Jalopnik rendering. One in particular has the fastback roof with the back-sloping C-pillar AND the severe rear fender diving into the front "cove" cut-out. Had that survived it would have been a radical jump from the C5 and might have really opened up some new thinking for the C7!
Old 05-23-2012, 05:02 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

One reaction I find interesting is when people say, "that looks like (insert other car name here.) When the C5 came out I know several people who said it looked like the then current Mazda RX7. This was caused by the side coves on each car. I'm guilty of the same behavior, not pointing fingers.

But my point is that I think we all naturally associate the new designs we see with cars we are already familiar with. Why is this. Well, its because cars have 4 wheels, a front, back, sides, mirrors, lights, etc. So the basic fact that a car is a car means it looks like other cars.

So then we look at concept drawings from the past and wonder if any of those old drawings get used again. Well i don't know the correct answer, but even if it is "no" we are bound to find the same ideas, shapes, configurations etc. popping up repeatedly. After all, these guys are starting with the shape and dimensions of the old car and refreshing it.

So when we see the square tail lights from a decade+ old drawing and wonder if GM dug it up for the new car, I tend to think the answer is no. What I think happens is that every year, on every car, at every manufacturer other than Ferrari (always round), the designers try drawings with round, square, round-ish, square-ish, etc. just to see if something sticks.

And if by some chance GM does dig into the past portfolios it would make sense to harvest some value from money already spent. The old drawings could be used both to show what ideas where ferreted out as ugly in the past to avoid doing them again, and to find those gems that where good, but did not make it. Perhaps an idea from the past only needs a fresh set of eyes to tweak it into something ready for production.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:16 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mitchydkid
One reaction I find interesting is when people say, "that looks like (insert other car name here.) When the C5 came out I know several people who said it looked like the then current Mazda RX7. This was caused by the side coves on each car. I'm guilty of the same behavior, not pointing fingers.

But my point is that I think we all naturally associate the new designs we see with cars we are already familiar with. Why is this. Well, its because cars have 4 wheels, a front, back, sides, mirrors, lights, etc. So the basic fact that a car is a car means it looks like other cars.

So then we look at concept drawings from the past and wonder if any of those old drawings get used again. Well i don't know the correct answer, but even if it is "no" we are bound to find the same ideas, shapes, configurations etc. popping up repeatedly. After all, these guys are starting with the shape and dimensions of the old car and refreshing it.

So when we see the square tail lights from a decade+ old drawing and wonder if GM dug it up for the new car, I tend to think the answer is no. What I think happens is that every year, on every car, at every manufacturer other than Ferrari (always round), the designers try drawings with round, square, round-ish, square-ish, etc. just to see if something sticks.

And if by some chance GM does dig into the past portfolios it would make sense to harvest some value from money already spent. The old drawings could be used both to show what ideas where ferreted out as ugly in the past to avoid doing them again, and to find those gems that where good, but did not make it. Perhaps an idea from the past only needs a fresh set of eyes to tweak it into something ready for production.
One "old design" that has been successfully resurrected is the full-width taillight on the Challenger. Very nice.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:19 PM
prinzSD455
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Originally Posted by mitchydkid

Well put. I remember when they displayed the new C5 at a Corvette show when it first came out. Several onlookers commented on how it looked like a Firebird.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:47 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by prinzSD455
Well put. I remember when they displayed the new C5 at a Corvette show when it first came out. Several onlookers commented on how it looked like a Firebird.
This was one of the main complains about the C5...that it was too Pontiac-looking. It is one of the reasons that the C6 front end was changed as much as it was with exposed lights. The other was Corvette Racing Team input. And weight reduction.

Last edited by BlueOx; 05-23-2012 at 10:49 PM.

Quick Reply: A little recent Corvette design history...