Sponsored by:

4xxhp will not be enough

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 06:29 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Default 4xxhp will not be enough

Anyone else concerned about the c7 potential power output now that the gt500 has 600rwhp? Its a 55k msrp car that sure is a pig but has imo a better interior and is faster than a gs/c6 in the straight line. I know the corvette isnt a drag car but lets be real day to day straight line acceleration is what we usually get atleat here in texas. When i first heard the c7 will have a smaller motor and put out a marginal bump in power i wasnt concerned but now that the gt500 is directly competing and exceeding the c6 i sure hope chevy gives it a minimum of 540-570hp and gives us a cf driveshaft like the gt500 has.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:55 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by gatti-man
Anyone else concerned about the c7 potential power output now that the gt500 has 600rwhp? Its a 55k msrp car that sure is a pig but has imo a better interior and is faster than a gs/c6 in the straight line. I know the corvette isnt a drag car but lets be real day to day straight line acceleration is what we usually get atleat here in texas. When i first heard the c7 will have a smaller motor and put out a marginal bump in power i wasnt concerned but now that the gt500 is directly competing and exceeding the c6 i sure hope chevy gives it a minimum of 540-570hp and gives us a cf driveshaft like the gt500 has.
Seriously? The C7 will be far lighter than the GT500 and will handle much better. The comparison quite frankly is useless. They are two entirely different cars meant for different buyers.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:03 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by redvette77
Seriously? The C7 will be far lighter than the GT500 and will handle much better. The comparison quite frankly is useless. They are two entirely different cars meant for different buyers.
If you think c6 buyers dont cross shop the gt500 you are wrong. There are numerous posts here and on their forums that state otherwise. 99% of these cars dont see the track. They are for the street and the gt500 is the better street car at the moment. It is measureably better in my opinion. But the comparison isnt really fair at the moment. When the c7 debuts and is under 460-470hp it will be the slower street car. If that isnt a concern to you then we are different buyers.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:17 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

If you think c6 buyers dont cross shop the gt500 you are wrong. There are numerous posts here and on their forums that state otherwise. 99% of these cars dont see the track. They are for the street and the gt500 is the better street car at the moment. It is measureably better in my opinion. But the comparison isnt really fair at the moment. When the c7 debuts and is under 460-470hp it will be the slower street car. If that isnt a concern to you then we are different buyers.
Numbers are one thing, but an experience is something entirely different. For every person who is willing to trade their Corvette for a GT500, there are two or three who wouldn't trade their Corvette for the world. Measurably, I'm sure it is better. There are many cars in the world with more horsepower than the Corvette. But are they actually better? In my book, not even close.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Flex182
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 87 Posts

That is just one of the reasons I am keeping my 09 Z06, Not to mention the Jalopnik recent photos ( if real ) dont do much for me.
I am keeping in mind that the first c7 will of course be a base model corvette, but it should still be at a minimum of 500 H.P.
My opinion of course.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:21 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by redvette77
Numbers are one thing, but an experience is something entirely different. For every person who is willing to trade their Corvette for a GT500, there are two or three who wouldn't trade their Corvette for the world. Measurably, I'm sure it is better. There are many cars in the world with more horsepower than the Corvette. But are they actually better? In my book, not even close.
Its ok to be biased. So am i. Id much rather buy a c6/c7 than a gt500 but that doesnt mean im willing to accept a lower caliber car. Measureably the c7 needs 500hp to keep its status as THE sports car for the common man.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:23 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Flex182
That is just one of the reasons I am keeping my 09 Z06, Not to mention the Jalopnik recent photos ( if real ) dont do much for me.
I am keeping in mind that the first c7 will of course be a base model corvette, but it should still be at a minimum of 500 H.P.
My opinion of course.
My dream is that the c7 is more like the z06 but im doubtful. C6z06 will turn heads of gear heads and normal people for years to come.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:24 PM
RedZ4me
Le Mans Master

Received 422 Likes on 257 Posts

Reality is:

C7 base to compete with Mustang GT or Boss

Top dog C7 will compete with top dog of other brands. I'm sure a next level or even two of the C7 will come but not in the 1st year.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:27 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Its ok to be biased. So am i. Id much rather buy a c6/c7 than a gt500 but that doesnt mean im willing to accept a lower caliber car. Measureably the c7 needs 500hp to keep its status as THE sports car for the common man.
You can bet the "base" C7 Corvette will have more power. I think 500 is a bit of a stretch, but it will be more than the 430 (or 436) we see today. You will be disappointed if you expect too much power though. Remember, not only will they probably add more power, but they have to make significant improvements in the interior, and still keep the price from straying away from the common man.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Its a 55k msrp car that sure is a pig but has imo a better interior
Uh, have you sat in a modern Mustang? The C6 interior is nothing special but the Mustang's is worse. Tons of hard plastic that sound/feel 'hollow. At least the C6 feels and sounds solid with a softer vinyl/rubber material. I'm surprised the magazines aren't all over the poor interior on the Mustangs like they were about the C6.

The Boss 302 I rode in did have good seats though. Recaros I believe.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:05 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Rumorville has it the gt500 posted a faster LS time than the z06. But I'm in agreement. 4xx only if the car weighs in at 3,001 or less. Otherwise it needs over 500. For the performance enthusiasts, I seriously think they would cross shop if the corvette is 200 hp less than a car thats 10k cheaper!
Old 06-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Toilets
Rumorville has it the gt500 posted a faster LS time than the z06.
Very doubtful. It'll be very competitive with a ZL1, but it won't touch a Z06. The Z06 was tested among the world's best at LS and came out ahead. It beat the Boss 302 by nearly 7 seconds in this comparison. I don't think the GT500's power (but extra weight) can make up that gap.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:28 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

You are several months late to the hand wringing party.

If you want a Mustang, go buy one!
Old 06-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Very doubtful. It'll be very competitive with a ZL1, but it won't touch a Z06. The Z06 was tested among the world's best at LS and came out ahead. It beat the Boss 302 by nearly 7 seconds in this comparison. I don't think the GT500's power (but extra weight) can make up that gap.
I sure hope your right...
Old 06-01-2012, 09:03 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
The GT500 is still a solid axle, that will hurt it on the road course.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Must have over 500hp? You guys are going to be disappointed. And despite your proclamations of DOOM, C7 will still be a great car that people will buy.

Remember 2003, when the Mustang Cobra threatened C5? People proclaimed DOOM if C6 came with less than 430hp, most clamoring for 450. DOOM didn't happen. This story repeats itself with every new performance variant of the Mustang. Yawn.

If there's a high-end limited-volume sharpened version of the Mustang that can outrun a base Corvette but costs nearly as much, I'm okay with that. It's no different than the guys who buy 911s even though a Corvette outruns them. If you cannot appreciate the subjective and qualitative benefits of the Corvette over a hotrodded Mustang, then you should absolutely buy the Mustang and feel no shame in doing so. It's a hell of a machine.

This notion that Corvette must objectively outperform everything else in every stopwatch contest is actually part of the problem that prevents Corvette from becoming a better sports car. I don't think Corvette should be the absolute most-extreme sacrifice-everything-for-numbers machine extant. I think it deserves to be better than that.

.Jinx
Old 06-01-2012, 09:22 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jinx
Must have over 500hp? You guys are going to be disappointed. And despite your proclamations of DOOM, C7 will still be a great car that people will buy.

Remember 2003, when the Mustang Cobra threatened C5? People proclaimed DOOM if C6 came with less than 430hp, most clamoring for 450. DOOM didn't happen. This story repeats itself with every new performance variant of the Mustang. Yawn.

If there's a high-end limited-volume sharpened version of the Mustang that can outrun a base Corvette but costs nearly as much, I'm okay with that. It's no different than the guys who buy 911s even though a Corvette outruns them. If you cannot appreciate the subjective and qualitative benefits of the Corvette over a hotrodded Mustang, then you should absolutely buy the Mustang and feel no shame in doing so. It's a hell of a machine.

This notion that Corvette must objectively outperform everything else in every stopwatch contest is actually part of the problem that prevents Corvette from becoming a better sports car. I don't think Corvette should be the absolute most-extreme sacrifice-everything-for-numbers machine extant. I think it deserves to be better than that.

.Jinx
Fantastic post.

Get notified of new replies

To 4xxhp will not be enough

Old 06-01-2012, 10:00 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Wasnt the base c6 objectively faster than the cobra? That wont be true this time.

Originally Posted by Jinx

.Jinx
Old 06-01-2012, 10:03 PM
gatti-man
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jackhall99
You are several months late to the hand wringing party.

If you want a Mustang, go buy one!
Hand wringing? 600rwhp is 600rwhp. I dont worry about something until its validated. Thats a big number attached to a decent car at a sharp price. Im sure gm execs are the ones doing the hand wringing. Im just saying what i feel to be true. Id rather buy a vette that isnt slower than a mustang tbh.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:07 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

The only facts about the C7 are
1)smaller motor
2) different body then the c6
3) lighter car.
I happen to think a 650 HP Mustang is great!!I was going to actually wait and see what they look like are do on the road,but I got impatient!I'm a half a car guy most of the time and I love these "horsepower wars"!!!580 ZL1,650 MUSTANG,470 CHALLENGER...bring it on!The weight of the Stang will be overcome by all that power,make no mistake about it.It is designed to handle better too.I think the C7 will be in the 480 range for HP with the car at maybe 3000 even for weight.It's all good no matter what it is.I can't use the 436 I have now!!!

Quick Reply: 4xxhp will not be enough