maybe this is why the mystery

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 04:08 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Define "C6 re-skin" or "C6 freshening"?
The C6 underpinnings are already simply fantastic, extremely solid/stiff yet lightweight frame/structure, 4 wheel independent suspension, double wishbone aluminum control arms, rack and pinion steering, composite springs, there's always room for improvement of course but not sure how much 'major change' I'd even want in those areas. If a system works....

Now if the the 2014 Corvette comes out with:
An all new engine.
All new transmission(s).
New (and much improved) interior/seats/infotainment system.
All new body panels and lighting from top to bottom, front to back and left to right.
New wheels/tires.
Can it really be called simply a reskinned/refreshed C6?
Well, of course not. You just built yourself a whole new car! I don't think The General will do that.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:14 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
Well, of course not. You just built yourself a whole new car! I don't think The General will do that.
Honestly, I think the Corvette C7 will incorporate most (if not all) of what I'd listed.
The (stellar and already awesome) underside might 'resemble' a C6 as will the basic exterior shape (heck, even a 350Z resembles a C6 in the eyes of the average 80 year old grandmother LOL ) but I think much (most?) of this car will be all new.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:26 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Define "C6 re-skin" or "C6 freshening"?
The C6 underpinnings are already simply fantastic, extremely solid/stiff yet lightweight frame/structure, 4 wheel independent suspension, double wishbone aluminum control arms, rack and pinion steering, composite springs, there's always room for improvement of course but not sure how much 'major change' I'd even want in those areas. If a system works....

Now if the the 2014 Corvette comes out with:
An all new engine.
All new transmission(s).
New (and much improved) interior/seats/infotainment system.
All new body panels and lighting from top to bottom, front to back and left to right.
New wheels/tires.
Can it really be called simply a reskinned/refreshed C6?
New exterior, new interior, "all new engine," "all new transmission," and new infotainment system. That would be a huge endeavour, even if borrowing heavily from existing GM products, in which case they aren't really "all new."

I can see Corvette getting infotainment from Cadillac CUE. Can they get a Corvette transmission from another GM car?

I can see new transmission options (DCT) in C7 year 3 or 4. Why give up all the goodies in year 1? They simply won't need more than a new body and interior in years 1 & 2 to sell a ton of C7.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:24 PM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Somewhere in Detroit, a group of engineers read this forum every day and die laughing.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:11 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by JACKAL0PE
Somewhere in Detroit, a group of engineers read this forum every day and die laughing.
True that/
Old 06-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I don't know... even a good joke gets old after it's been told a dozen times a day for six months...
Old 06-04-2012, 11:39 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Somewhere in Detroit, a group of engineers read this forum every day
Oh man we can only hope/pray that they do actually read this board (and others), maybe they can get an idea of what some other Corvette owners/enthusiasts (that are outside of their usual focus/survey groups) think and have to say about future Corvettes.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:40 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Without a shadow of a doubt.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:54 PM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Oh man we can only hope/pray that they do actually read this board (and others), maybe they can get an idea of what some other Corvette owners/enthusiasts (that are outside of their usual focus/survey groups) think and have to say about future Corvettes.
They'd have to mine a lot of ore to find nuggets in here.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:30 AM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Qweklain
I honestly do not think it is going to be much more than a C6 freshening. I would love to see something completely new, but I just do not see it happening yet.

With the financial difficulties GM has had the last couple years it may be more evolutionary the revolutionary.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:24 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jb_va2001
They'd have to mine a lot of ore to find nuggets in here.
True.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:36 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

True.
Beyond the CF nonsense we see everyday, GM & Corvette focus groups will target specific demographics; income, age, married/single, children, profession, hobbies, where you live, car buying history, etc. Too much money is at stake to take random advice from strangers too seriously. One demographic in particular would be critical; people who actually buy new Corvettes, people who have/are considering a new Corvette, and those buying Corvette targeted competitors. Many posting here on CF don't buy new and will never buy new Corvettes.

Cheers,
JB
Old 06-05-2012, 10:29 AM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Here is what I think is the root of the problem people see with a re-skin. My mother in law and sister in law can't tell the difference between my C5 and my C6 from 30 feet apart. If they saw the cars at different times they would have no clue which was which.

People want a radical change so that any person anywhere knows it is new. The problem is your average typical person couldn't tell the new version of a Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, Gently, Rolls Royce, Mercedes, BMW, etc.

My wife has become knowledgeable about Corvette because of me and can spot the differences immediately and says she likes my C6 way better than my C5. Her biggest thing was the interior change from the C5 to C6. I even go so far as to make her figure out the year now based on colors, wheels, and options. She is getting much better now. .

If you are hoping for a change that makes the average Joe Blow go wow that is the new Corvette you may be disappointed. If you are looking for a new model that is better in every way I think you will be more than satisfied.

We have already seen the car under Camo and it isn't going to be a huge redesign.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:59 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Rob 99

With the financial difficulties GM has had the last couple years it may be more evolutionary the revolutionary.
Major changes will occur further down the product's life cycle.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:57 AM
MachAll 2005
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was told by a person in the know that we would see the C7 changes from the C6 a great as those from the C4 to C5 (which suggests a basically new car)!

I personally don't believe it ... GM had limited money to design and develop a whole new car .. so my "say" is very much like the C6 with all having an aluminum frame, new skins, initial intro with the C6 powertrain including engine and tranny. ... and much needed interior improvements (though still won't impress the press) and improved electronic and info systems.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:32 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MachAll 2005
I was told by a person in the know that we would see the C7 changes from the C6 a great as those from the C4 to C5 (which suggests a basically new car)!

I personally don't believe it ... GM had limited money to design and develop a whole new car .. so my "say" is very much like the C6 with all having an aluminum frame, new skins, initial intro with the C6 powertrain including engine and tranny. ... and much needed interior improvements (though still won't impress the press) and improved electronic and info systems.
Bankruptcy has a way of slowing down new product development.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:42 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by c4gone
ok.in my eyes..maybe the reason all the.mystery and no pics or info is because the car is totally what we are not expecting.this is the most secretive vette and im thinking its because it is a totally NEW car.and that's why they're building that suspense.i can't wait to see it.bit im just thinking outside the box here.personally i barely like the c6 and therefore can't wait.but im just looking at the obvious signs right infront of me.or maybe its because its still having problems therefore were in the dark.either way i bet it will be worth the wait.
if you barely like the c6, don't hold your breath. don't know if it is the looks or the performance or combination. it is very unlikely that it will be vastly different looking from the c6. it may have more horsepower and more up to date electronics for user interface, but that is it.

usually too much suspense leads to disappointment.

Get notified of new replies

To maybe this is why the mystery

Old 06-06-2012, 03:29 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MachAll 2005

I personally don't believe it ...
As much as I would like to see that, I too can't really believe it either.

Originally Posted by c54u
if you barely like the c6, don't hold your breath. don't know if it is the looks or the performance or combination. it is very unlikely that it will be vastly different looking from the c6. it may have more horsepower and more up to date electronics for user interface, but that is it.
Fortunately I do like (love) the C6. It takes A LOT to get me to part with money but that car was simply calling my name almost from the very first time I'd seen that red one from the Chevrolet commercial/spy photos up on the car carrier in San Francisco which lead me to barely hesitate in dropping that nearly $50k ca$h for one years ago (and still with NO regrets/buyer's remorse for having done so).

I believe that the C7 will be as much different from the C6 as the C6 was from the C5.
Now to some that's not much or at least 'not enough', but I tend to disagree.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Aozora
Burning Brakes

Received 865 Likes on 365 Posts

As much as I would like to see that, I too can't really believe it either.

Fortunately I do like (love) the C6. It takes A LOT to get me to part with money but that car was simply calling my name almost from the very first time I'd seen that red one from the Chevrolet commercial/spy photos up on the car carrier in San Francisco which lead me to barely hesitate in dropping that nearly $50k ca$h for one years ago (and still with NO regrets/buyer's remorse for having done so).

I believe that the C7 will be as much different from the C6 as the C6 was from the C5.
Now to some that's not much or at least 'not enough', but I tend to disagree.
That's enough for me! Been drooling over the c6 for nearly 8 years now?
It's a beautiful car and I'm praying the deviation is not too drastic.
Was prepared to purchase in '08 but ended up doing the whole marriage, wedding, honeymoon/ house, baby making, renovations thing.
(in that order) Now that that's all 'taken care of' and before the wife gets her Suburban..I can afford it comfortably, but I'd like to at least get a little more info or picture of the c7 with just a little less camo before I decide.

Just..a little less.. And maybe news on the transmission, or a teaser shot of the interior.

Last edited by Aozora; 06-06-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:12 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
Bankruptcy has a way of slowing down new product development.
Bankruptcy is a chance to reorganize and re-energize. It does not spell the end of a company.

Look at GM's financial results over the last two years. Something to be proud of.

Look at what GM has introduced here and around the world during the same time. A whole lot to be proud of!

GM doesn't have to build a new, ground up C7 to have a successful model. Just keep enhancing what they have.

Quick Reply: maybe this is why the mystery