Sponsored by:

Other GM tech we may expect for the C7

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 10:07 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Other GM tech we may expect for the C7

Can't help but notice a LOT of Caddy XTS commercials and have been impressed with the messaging about the tech coming in this gorgeous car. I can't help but wonder what tech from Caddy and others that might find it's way into the C7.

Much has been said about the Cadillac User Experience system that comes with an ipad, (http://www.cadillac.com/cadillac_cue.html) and it's potential for the C7 but other tech may be coming also, including a new, capless gas filling capability (http://www.kbb.com/car-news/all-the-...s-gas-capless/), automatic front and rear braking, safety alert seat, adaptive forward lighting, heated steering wheel, a sunroof and of course, All Wheel Drive.

Even some colors may come across including a LMB look-alike in the form of SAPPHIRE BLUE METALLIC, shown in a number of XTS commercials, including this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n3jnYPnAkU
Old 07-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,376 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Why would you need a sunroof on a Corvette? You can remove the roof panel for open air or you can have a transparent roof as an option. What would a sun roof add?
Old 07-03-2012, 11:03 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Racer X
Why would you need a sunroof on a Corvette? You can remove the roof panel for open air or you can have a transparent roof as an option. What would a sun roof add?
I meant instead of a removable roof panel...less of a hassle with removal/storage/delamination/noise. Probably unworkable I know. It's just a thought, not a real desire as I am a vert guy anyway.

Last edited by BlueOx; 07-03-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:14 AM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 883 Likes on 478 Posts

Chevrolet already confirmed that the C7 will not receive CUE. But, that doesn't mean it will not receive the same system under a different name, which I have a feeling it may. At the very least, it will more than likely feature Chevrolet's MyLink system. But something with a bit more flash would fit the Corvette better.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Capless fuel filler opening? Yes please. (Though I can hear in the background the Corvette Luddite motto, "no more cost, no more stuff to go wrong, it's a sports car.")

Adaptive forward lighting is another bit of tech for which one could make a performance argument. It's also something GM could use to get you up the options-package ladder. OTOH many older-Corvette owners have experience with dying flipup headlamps and this might smell bad to them. It'll be interesting to see if we get anything here. My hesitant prediction is "no."

Automatic braking... the typical Corvette owner might take offense at this notion, so I bet we don't get it. Same with the vibralert seat. Some cold-weather folks might go for the heated steering wheel, but I bet we don't get this option either.

Do any GM vehicles presently have cooled seats? (Not merely vented-to-cabin-air but electrically cooled.) This is one luxury I pine for with every long road trip.

FWIW, I think GM would do well to offer all of these options in Corvette, because for all the "it's a sports car" noise, the truth is this stuff will attract more luxury buyers with money to spend. If GM can align suppliers and get the tech in low volumes for Corvette as easy variants of the components that go into Cadillacs, they can make a fat profit making those luxury buyers happy.

I don't think they'll do it, because I think they still cling to the idea of Cadillac exclusivity, and because it's just easier not to bother... but they should.

.Jinx
Old 07-03-2012, 11:21 AM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jinx
Adaptive forward lighting is another bit of tech for which one could make a performance argument.
I think Cadillac already use this in the SRX, XTS, and possibly the upcoming ATS, don't they? I saw video about it and it looks pretty neat. I would love to see it on the C7.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:36 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Do any GM vehicles presently have cooled seats? (Not merely vented-to-cabin-air but electrically cooled.) This is one luxury I pine for with every long road trip.
Me too, especially in the convertible. IMHO, this is LONG overdue!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:38 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by redvette77
I think Cadillac already use this in the SRX, XTS, and possibly the upcoming ATS, don't they? I saw video about it and it looks pretty neat. I would love to see it on the C7.
I know the XTS offers Adaptive forward lighting.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:41 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Do any GM vehicles presently have cooled seats?
The nicest cooling arrangement I ever used was an air (a/c) vent under the steering wheel that could blow air right at my crotch. (Q45) Worked marvelously--really.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:35 PM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by BlueOx
1,000% Agree (or agree 10X100%)
Old 07-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 224 Likes on 112 Posts

Well, I joined up to keep a watch on the C7. Although I'm likely to get roasted here for saying/admitting I own a 370Z, I'm looking to buy a C7 (if I can afford one) if they do something to make their interior a little more world-class. Seems odd to me to have such a world-class car in practically every way except the interior.

I love the interior in my Z and hope the new Vette will entice me with an upgraded interior.

(of course, we Z owners don't have "memory" fobs but the wife never drives my Z anyway...she keeps to her Cooper S)
Old 07-03-2012, 04:28 PM
chaase
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by BlueOx

I would love cooled seats. My friend's Cadillac has them and they are great.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:37 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

The Escalade, SRX, CTS, XTS, Suburban, Avalanche, Tahoe, Silverado, Yukon, Sierra, Enclave, Acadia, and Traverse all offer cooled seats. But I am not sure how the system operates. I rode in a Suburban once with the feature and found it very refreshing. It's one of those options you don't think you'll need until you try it once.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

But, in analyzing, the Caddy needs to be GM's epitomy of luxury, doesn't it? If so, I would guess any upgrades to the Vette interior wouldn't be allowed to encroach on the Caddy's claim to fame...so those would be "smaller" versions of "luxury" in my estimation.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:20 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Slynky
But, in analyzing, the Caddy needs to be GM's epitomy of luxury, doesn't it? If so, I would guess any upgrades to the Vette interior wouldn't be allowed to encroach on the Caddy's claim to fame...so those would be "smaller" versions of "luxury" in my estimation.
That was probably true when the Corvette and XLR were being built together. But because Cadillac does not have a version of the Corvette, it give Chevrolet free reign to make the Corvette as luxurious as they please. I certainly hope they see it that way anyhow. There is no doubt in my mind that the C7 will have a fabulous interior.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Slynky
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

That was probably true when the Corvette and XLR were being built together. But because Cadillac does not have a version of the Corvette, it give Chevrolet free reign to make the Corvette as luxurious as they please. I certainly hope they see it that way anyhow. There is no doubt in my mind that the C7 will have a fabulous interior.
Well, I hope there is some logic in that. Have wanted a Corvette ever since a very good friend of mine dropped a "blue-printed" 396 in his '58 Corvette...or maybe I just fell in love with the Corvette when the '63 Stingray came out.

I just like my interior to be very nice and hoping we see some change in it. (and a price I can afford...I don't have a lot of money ).
Old 07-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

That's how they should be thinking when it comes to Corvette's luxury/technology options. But if Corvette isn't getting CUE... it doesn't bode well.

.Jinx

Get notified of new replies

To Other GM tech we may expect for the C7

Old 07-03-2012, 08:30 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

All of the above "techno" features would be nice. But, I just hope the C7performs better and looks better than my GS. So, I will be motivated to buy one. Save all the "gadjets" for the Caddie.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:29 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

As long as they don't move it up in weight, risk making it a luxo GT, or put gadgets in it that lack reliability and durability, altho, I have to admit thinking from time to time there are quite enough electronics already on my C6s. I don't really pine for any more. I know some folks do, tho.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Guibo
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Motor Trend highlights some technologies in the 2014 Impala that could be easily added to the C7, namely hill hold assist and brake pre-fill:
http://wot.motortrend.com/2014-chevr...es-225873.html

This radar-based pre-fill system seems more elaborate than those used on the MP4-12C and 458, in which the braking system is "primed" when it senses the driver jumping off the throttle.

Quick Reply: Other GM tech we may expect for the C7