Sponsored by:

Gen V News

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 04:53 PM
I Bin Therbefor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gen V News

"The announcement of Stephens' retirement comes as talk in Detroit said GM upper management scuttled an investment in the company's next-generation small-block V8 and a fully developed "premium" V8 dubbed the UV8 remains on the shelf, perhaps never to be salvaged. The fifth-generation small-block will be upgraded with direct fuel injection, as GM confirmed late in 2010, but a high-tech valvetrain innovation long believed to be penned into the Gen V program reputedly was rejected as a bad investment as rigorous new Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards take hold beginning in 2016 and engine downsizing is rampant in the industry."

IMHO, the government appointed idoit in charge of GM is back at it again.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:05 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,475 Likes on 2,278 Posts

Not sure what this means on the Gen V. Doesn't seem real clear other than possibley hinting at variable valve timing getting axed. Tho, it wouldn't seem that would be a huge investment.

The shelving of the hi tech V8 was well known months ago.

I do worry very much about Corvette in the next few years under CAFE. It ramps up hard.

Last edited by OnPoint; 07-05-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:33 PM
TTRotary
Race Director

Received 404 Likes on 160 Posts

I don't think it's VVT. GM (and other car companies) have been working on electronic solenoid valvetrains. They have great promise, but are very costly to implement and require significant electrical system upgrades, which would effectively require a re-design of peripheral components. Cost not worth the benefit at this time.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:38 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

That could be it.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:21 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Maybe it's the 3-valve design.
Maybe it's separate intake and exhaust phasing.
Maybe it's variable lift.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:24 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Jinx
Maybe it's the 3-valve design.
Maybe it's separate intake and exhaust phasing.
Maybe it's variable lift.
Yeah, I thought of that. I read somewhere they toyed with that for the LS7, then tabled it.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:23 AM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by TTRotary
I don't think it's VVT. GM (and other car companies) have been working on electronic solenoid valvetrains. They have great promise, but are very costly to implement and require significant electrical system upgrades, which would effectively require a re-design of peripheral components. Cost not worth the benefit at this time.
Everyone is making Hybrids. They have the higher voltage electrical systems that would be needed, so the peripheral components should have already been designed.

An electronic valve train would be well worth the $$$. A fully electronic valve train would be a game changer. The parasitic losses would drop significantly. The entire top half of the engine goes away. No timing chains to snap. You get the benefit of the VVT/DOHC config without all of the associated parts dragging on the engine, none of the extra weight and the packaging as good as, if not better than, an OHV motor.

The new CAFE requirements would be a slam dunk and then some.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:08 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,387 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by chaase
Everyone is making Hybrids. They have the higher voltage electrical systems that would be needed, so the peripheral components should have already been designed.

An electronic valve train would be well worth the $$$. A fully electronic valve train would be a game changer. The parasitic losses would drop significantly. The entire top half of the engine goes away. No timing chains to snap. You get the benefit of the VVT/DOHC config without all of the associated parts dragging on the engine, none of the extra weight and the packaging as good as, if not better than, an OHV motor.

The new CAFE requirements would be a slam dunk and then some.
If it were easy, cheap, and reliable and made the CAFE standards a slam dunk it would already be done.

If an engine design life is now 240,000 miles then a actuators would MTBF of ~600 million cycles. Are we there yet?

With power of magnets necessary to open the valves in a controlled fashion in less than 16 thousandths of a second, you may have electromagnetic fields that have to be damped to avoid interence with all the electronics in a car in a relatively small space.

It is a formidible engineering challenge.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:38 AM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

What is the date of this announcement?
Old 07-06-2012, 10:38 AM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Racer X
If it were easy, cheap, and reliable and made the CAFE standards a slam dunk it would already be done.

If an engine design life is now 240,000 miles then a actuators would MTBF of ~600 million cycles. Are we there yet?

With power of magnets necessary to open the valves in a controlled fashion in less than 16 thousandths of a second, you may have electromagnetic fields that have to be damped to avoid interence with all the electronics in a car in a relatively small space.

It is a formidible engineering challenge.
I didn't say it was easy. Computers are fast enough to make it happen now. I know it will take time, $$ and some engineering smarts but, in my opinion, it is the next big leap in ICE technology.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:56 AM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

OK, found it, from Edmunds-Insideline...http://www.insideline.com/chevrolet/...gine-guys.html

Last edited by DREAMERAK; 07-06-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

So this goes back to January of this year. Good find. The next paragraph may soothe some worry:

"If true, the move could signal GM plans for a future in which V8s will be offered only for pickup trucks and the Chevrolet Corvette, both of which have seen relatively drastic declines in demand in recent years."

So they're not planning to drop the V8 completely, just drop it from... what? Holdens and Camaros, I suppose. But Camaro can't survive against Mustang without a V8... We presume Mustang is under similar pressure; perhaps the V8 Mustang will go upmarket to survive. Camaro can't follow without killing Corvette. Fun times. Remember the Code 130R?

What's weird about this is that it's atypical for GM. Several times in the past GM made big investments in pickup trucks (and their full-size SUV brothers), improving the efficiency (and market competitiveness) of their most profitable and highest-volume product.

Now they're going to hold back on V8s? Why?

Does the high-tech thing not improve efficiency?
It almost certainly makes the V8 more expensive, but how could that not pay for itself avoiding CAFE problems... unless they're just going to limit the number of V8 cars so that it's cheaper to take the CAFE hit than make the investment.

Maybe it's just a question of timing. Maybe the actual decision happened two years ago and we're just now hearing about it. Maybe it'll be greenlit again when trucks are up against the wall. Maybe GM is holding on to see if the government blinks.

.Jinx
Old 07-06-2012, 11:47 AM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

So this goes back to January of this year. Good find. The next paragraph may soothe some worry:

"If true, the move could signal GM plans for a future in which V8s will be offered only for pickup trucks and the Chevrolet Corvette, both of which have seen relatively drastic declines in demand in recent years."

So they're not planning to drop the V8 completely, just drop it from... what? Holdens and Camaros, I suppose. But Camaro can't survive against Mustang without a V8... We presume Mustang is under similar pressure; perhaps the V8 Mustang will go upmarket to survive. Camaro can't follow without killing Corvette. Fun times. Remember the Code 130R?

What's weird about this is that it's atypical for GM. Several times in the past GM made big investments in pickup trucks (and their full-size SUV brothers), improving the efficiency (and market competitiveness) of their most profitable and highest-volume product.

Now they're going to hold back on V8s? Why?

Does the high-tech thing not improve efficiency?
It almost certainly makes the V8 more expensive, but how could that not pay for itself avoiding CAFE problems... unless they're just going to limit the number of V8 cars so that it's cheaper to take the CAFE hit than make the investment.

Maybe it's just a question of timing. Maybe the actual decision happened two years ago and we're just now hearing about it. Maybe it'll be greenlit again when trucks are up against the wall. Maybe GM is holding on to see if the government blinks.

.Jinx
Yeah, sounds like mostly rumor and speculation by Edmunds, they use words like talk of, if true ect....yesnod:

Last edited by DREAMERAK; 07-06-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:51 AM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
Yeah, sounds like mostly rumor and speculation...
But this is the right place for it!
Old 07-06-2012, 12:10 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by I Bin Therbefor
"The announcement of Stephens' retirement comes as talk in Detroit said GM upper management scuttled an investment in the company's next-generation small-block V8 and a fully developed "premium" V8 dubbed the UV8 remains on the shelf, perhaps never to be salvaged. The fifth-generation small-block will be upgraded with direct fuel injection, as GM confirmed late in 2010, but a high-tech valvetrain innovation long believed to be penned into the Gen V program reputedly was rejected as a bad investment as rigorous new Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards take hold beginning in 2016 and engine downsizing is rampant in the industry."

IMHO, the government appointed idoit in charge of GM is back at it again.
GM makes a business decision based on lots of information the OP doesn't have a clue about and a 43-year GM veteran finally retires. So what?

Maybe he was standing in the way of an even better idea for Gen V. Maybe it was just his time to retire.

Based on the actual article, I see this Stevens guy oversaw development of the XV16 that totally disappeared soon after it was introduced in 2003.

IMHO, it sounds like he was yet another GM executive idiot who was using bad judgement, wasting a lot of money and time on a "flight-of-fancy", 700lb, 1000hp, naturally aspirated turd that would never see the light of day while GM was circling down the economic toilet. Don't forget that GM posted a $10+ billion dollar loss in 2005.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

The XV16 was a show-car engine. They bolted two Chevy smallblock V8s together to stuff in a show car and then wrote a press release about how hard that was.

Why you gotta be so harsh?
Old 07-06-2012, 12:40 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Not harsh, just truthful.

I get tired of people making it sound like GM execs were so great before the bankruptcy and that since then, they are just a bunch of government-appointed idiots.

Get notified of new replies

To Gen V News

Old 07-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I get tired of people making it sound like GM execs were so great before the bankruptcy and that since then, they are just a bunch of government-appointed idiots.
I can appreciate that. But the reverse isn't necessarily true, either. I'm not well-versed in Stephens' career, but I hesitate to assume he was an idiot. Even if he was responsible for Northstar
Old 07-06-2012, 01:13 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

The XV16 was a show-car engine. They bolted two Chevy smallblock V8s together to stuff in a show car and then wrote a press release about how hard that was.
BTW, the Caddy XV16 was way more than just a show car engine. It was part of the Cadillac 'Sixteen' concept that cost over $2 million to produce. It was test driven by Motor Trend in August of '03.
http://www.motortrend.com/future/con...n/viewall.html
Old 07-06-2012, 01:17 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Not harsh, just truthful.

Maybe, sounds like and IMHO don't = the truth. Also it's really helpful to know what your talking about when making a post, especially if your trashing a persons reputation, i.e. the V16 show car ect.

Quick Reply: Gen V News