Sponsored by:

The new Corvette Ferrari

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 09:27 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99

Question: How many basic shapes for a 'flowing' coupe are there?

Answer: One.

Or you can design a pig like the GT-R!
Or 370Z
Old 07-17-2012, 09:32 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by DREAMERAK
better yet how many basic shapes for a front engine rear wheel drive flowing sports coupe are there?
True, but I kept it general. Too much anguish here.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:37 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by jackhall99
True, but I kept it general. Too much anguish here.
Tell me about it ......
Old 07-17-2012, 11:26 PM
HarryWild
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

The C7 has to look like something that people dream of. Ferrari is the supercar that most aspiring sport car buyers dream of. Between a Corvette and a Ferrari; nobody would choice a Corvette if they could afford to step up to a Ferrari! That just how it is. Ferrari is sold well worldwide; not so for Corvette.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:29 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by HarryWild
The C7 has to look like something that people dream of. Ferrari is the supercar that most aspiring sport car buyers dream of. Between a Corvette and a Ferrari; nobody would choice a Corvette if they could afford to step up to a Ferrari! That just how it is. Ferrari is sold well worldwide; not so for Corvette.
True. Ferraris are bought by folks with so much money that they aren't precluded by rapacious import duties.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:31 PM
nighthawk355x
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
Perhaps oversimplifying: The C7 lacks inspiration. It appears (so far) to be designed by committee.

Ferraris inspire.

The C7 is trying to please everybody a little. As a result, it may not please anybody a lot. Just my opinion, based upon what has been revealed.
Finally someone who gets it. I've been die-hard Vette from day 1 but I'm not digging the new design AT ALL. I really don't see much "natural evolution" in it. It's like doctor frankenstein took a scoop here, and a fender there, and made a design from about 12 different cars...none of which were another Vette. The drivetrain will probably make it a beast, and no doubt it'll still be the best bang for the buck out there, but it's not a Vette.

I normally wouldn't say something like this, because again, I'm as big a Vette fan as anyone, but all the Corvette nutswingers that say it looks NOTHING like a 599 are sadly in denial. These are probably the same people who think everything GM ever made was a GEM. They'd gladly eat up anything GM badged "Corvette" and shoved down their throats.

Sorry, but a Corvette should be absolutely and unmistakingly a Corvette(and that car isn't, like it or not). You never had to read a badge to know a Vette when you saw it, even if it was a brand new design. It's a car that even a total idiot who knows NOTHING about cars should be able to pick out in a crowd. It shouldn't resemble ANY other car, not even vaguely. Sorry folks...the ball has been dropped. Really hoping the C8 will make up for it.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:39 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by nighthawk355x
Finally someone who gets it. I've been die-hard Vette from day 1 but I'm not digging the new design AT ALL. I really don't see much "natural evolution" in it. It's like doctor frankenstein took a scoop here, and a fender there, and made a design from about 12 different cars...none of which were another Vette. The drivetrain will probably make it a beast, and no doubt it'll still be the best bang for the buck out there, but it's not a Vette.

I normally wouldn't say something like this, because again, I'm as big a Vette fan as anyone, but all the Corvette nutswingers that say it looks NOTHING like a 599 are sadly in denial. These are probably the same people who think everything GM ever made was a GEM. They'd gladly eat up anything GM badged "Corvette" and shoved down their throats.

Sorry, but a Corvette should be absolutely and unmistakingly a Corvette(and that car isn't, like it or not). You never had to read a badge to know a Vette when you saw it, even if it was a brand new design. It's a car that even a total idiot who knows NOTHING about cars should be able to pick out in a crowd. It shouldn't resemble ANY other car, not even vaguely. Sorry folks...the ball has been dropped. Really hoping the C8 will make up for it.
Do you believe the C6 looks like a 599?
Old 07-18-2012, 01:27 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Originally Posted by OnPoint
I think one can spot some similarities b/n the two.

Altho, team Ferrari would never put a butt on a car as disjointed in appearance as the Jalopnik rear end.
Ferrari is far from perfect designing cars. Sadly, I'd take that c7 rear bumper any day over the F12's abomination of a bumper.

And it seems someone else actually saw what I saw, as soon as I looked at the thing:
Old 07-18-2012, 01:36 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

How can a 458 and a F12 come from the same company? I would assume the same design house ,Pininfarina.. I guess they are hedging their bets.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:47 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
Ferrari is far from perfect designing cars. Sadly, I'd take that c7 rear bumper any day over the F12's abomination of a bumper.

And it seems someone else actually saw what I saw, as soon as I looked at the thing:
Kind of throws another light on the phrase 'DNA evident in the evolution from one generation to another', huh?
Old 07-18-2012, 10:00 AM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Too funny!
Old 07-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Hey. Italians LOVE every part of a woman. Ferrari is celebrating and honoring the uterus. What's wrong with that? Its the reverse Edsel.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:03 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

Originally Posted by nighthawk355x
I've been die-hard Vette from day 1 but I'm not digging the new design AT ALL. I really don't see much "natural evolution" in it. It's like doctor frankenstein took a scoop here, and a fender there, and made a design from about 12 different cars...none of which were another Vette.

That's exactly right! The APPARENT C7 design - at least as shown in the Jalopnik renderings - doesn't flow naturally. It looks cobbled together. If, as some say, there is only one basic shape available that doesn't mean it has to be discontinuous in its execution. Many of those other so called "same basic shapes" do a much better job of pulling the design elements together than does that shown in the rendering. Heck, the 240 - 280 Z was less disjointed than this!

I hope the rendering is wrong, or has failed to capture the true essence of the C7 design. If it actually looks like that, I'll be putting a supercharger on my C6 and waiting for the C8..........
Old 07-18-2012, 01:02 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Tux, I don't understand. When I look at the pic of the C7 my eyes can run from front to back with easy gaze. When I do the same on the ferrari the travel of my eyes is halted by discontinuity before reaching the other end. I am eager to find out the aero specs.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:12 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Tux, I don't understand. When I look at the pic of the C7 my eyes can run from front to back with easy gaze. When I do the same on the ferrari the travel of my eyes is halted by discontinuity before reaching the other end. I am eager to find out the aero specs.
Well, I guess like they say - "Beauty is in the eye of the Beer holder".

To me, it looks like the front half came from one car, and the back half from another. To my eyes (without the beer goggles!) the front half is more curvilinear and the back is rectilinear. They just don't seem to fit together as one contiguous design to me, in the way that my '67 and '06 do. My opinion, your results may vary.....

Old 07-18-2012, 01:45 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Hahahaha!
Old 07-18-2012, 02:58 PM
ZeekDuff
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Psy-Ops...

I think I know what's upsetting people about these "new" design speculations. At least, from my perspective.

From C1 to C2, there was a BIG design change, although the 1962 hinted at the '63's direction, verts still had a trunk, even with the truncated rear. I could go on about the internal/undercarriage changes, but that only "forced" a few (if any) things about the overall exterior design. From C2 to C3, there was a BIG design change, mostly exterior, again. From C3 to C4, there was a BIG design change, inner & outer. From C4 to C5, not so much. From C5 to C6, not so much (although a wee bit more than the C4-C5). From C6 to C7, and the upsetting part (as viewed so far) again, "not so much."

I think, we - or at least me, I'd like another BIG design change, both in & out.

My C5 vert is outstanding for a number of reasons; the fact that's it's a Lemans CE makes the interior nicer than most, even the nicest C6s can't compare favorably, it's painted the best blue color GM has ever come up with, and I've upped the power just enough that wider, stickier tires are now needed to keep from going sideways in the 1st to 2nd WOT gearshift (A4 tranny). So, for me, power isn't an issue (at the moment). There are (a few) things inside my 2012 Toyota Sienna Limited that I wish my Vette had, but nothing I really can't do without, quite nicely. So, before I'd plunk down big bux for a C7 (unless there are BIG changes), I'd plunk down some more bux to enhance my '04 C5 a bit more (specifically, a DD console & a great Nav/DVD/Bluetooth unit). Besides, it's still got only 2,500 miles on it...

(BTW, I've had it exactly a year & and almost doubled the mileage in that time.)

Best regards,
...z

Last edited by ZeekDuff; 07-18-2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: a why

Get notified of new replies

To The new Corvette Ferrari

Old 07-18-2012, 03:04 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by ZeekDuff
Besides, it's still got only 2,500 miles on it...

(BTW, I've had it exactly a year & and almost doubled the mileage in that time.)

Best regards,
...z
Insert smart posterior comment here > < Thanks.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:09 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Insert smart posterior comment here > ya need to get off your ZeekDuff and drive it more!!! < Thanks.
There - fixed it for ya!
Old 07-18-2012, 03:43 PM
355Spider
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

GM has been stealing design cues from Ferrari to put on the corvette for nearly 50 years. Nothing new.

Quick Reply: The new Corvette Ferrari