Sponsored by:

Photoshopped Trinity Rendering

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 09:20 PM
boost2na
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Photoshopped Trinity Rendering

Before I get into details, would just like to mention that I cleared this with Jim from Trinity before posting. They did an outstanding job on the renderings. All I did was slightly modify their image to see what some subtle changes would look like; I've always been fascinated by the fact that little changes to a car can add up to something significant.

Here is the original:

Photoshopped: turned on lights, made the heat extractors body colored, lowered the car, removed the red wheel accents, and slightly changed the brightness/contrast to highlight the curves. If GM built this car with a C6ish rear bumper I would buy it in a heartbeat.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:49 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Thanks boost, it just keeps getting better.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Removing the chrome definately changed the look of the car. I think the front bumper isn't right, if you check the actual one leaked earlier by the tool manufacturer.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Front is still fugly. Looking forward to real pictures.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Lowering it detracted from the look. Looks better at the original height.

Bill
Old 09-11-2012, 10:29 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Slamming the car is not practical for 90% of the folks who would be buying a C7. I scrape the splitter on my Z06, with it's stock ride height, on my driveway everytime I drive the car.

Many places I won't drive due to the possiblility of scraping, and that's with the stock ride height.

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-11-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:17 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

I bet the base C7 doesn't even get a splitter -- at least not one that sticks out that prominently. Does that even meet US bumper regs?

I bet the front fender vent is polished aluminum, not chrome, and it'll look less blingy in person. The aftermarket will clean up on alternative treatments for that part....

.Jinx
Old 09-12-2012, 01:19 AM
Jim_Lammers
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Slamming the car is not practical for 90% of the folks who would be buying a C7. I scrape the splitter on my Z06, with it's stock ride height, on my driveway everytime I drive the car.

Many places I won't drive due to the possiblility of scraping, and that's with the stock ride height.
Everyone keeps saying the Trinity car needs to be lower but we weren't going to be fudging it for the racier look. Nor did we lower the roof or raise the beltline like a lot of concept illustrations. I wanted it our simulation to be like a stock driveable coupe. I think the comparison shots prove the car we did is at a proper factory height.

Jim
Old 09-12-2012, 01:32 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Lowering it detracted from the look. Looks better at the original height.

Bill
On the original, the front looks to have slightly more fender gap then the rear.

Lower the rear just a little, and bring the front down to have matching fender to wheel gaps.

Looks good otherwise.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:36 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by boost2na
That's a fine lookin' Corvette...let's hope that the real deal is as (or even more) dramatic as that.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:00 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by boost2na
Before I get into details, would just like to mention that I cleared this with Jim from Trinity before posting. They did an outstanding job on the renderings. All I did was slightly modify their image to see what some subtle changes would look like; I've always been fascinated by the fact that little changes to a car can add up to something significant.

Here is the original:

Photoshopped: turned on lights, made the heat extractors body colored, lowered the car, removed the red wheel accents, and slightly changed the brightness/contrast to highlight the curves. If GM built this car with a C6ish rear bumper I would buy it in a heartbeat.

that this Trinity rendition looks amazing and agree with you that subtle changes can make all the difference such as the ones you introduced that are improvements.

But I have a more fundamental problem with the overall proportions that this renditions depicts. Bare with my assumptions which may be off somewhat or total BS. I suspect the only changes made to the underlying frame of the C6 to C7 was for the slighty longer wheel base. With that the front/door windows may have not changed. Along with that the door dimensions may not have changed as well leaving the B pillar in the same position just not using a halo but covered with the rear quarter window.

Making measurement comparisons as best I could against this rendition and a scale model C6 some obvious differences can be guesstimated. 1) The C7 rendition appears to be 1.5 - 2.0 inches lower than the C6. 2) The overall C7 length has increased approx 6-8 inches over the C6 (possible?). 3) The relative relation between door window height to door height is approx 20% less on the C7 as to the C6.

Those proportion changes from the C6 to the C7 makes the C7 rendition above look more like an exotic which IMO makes it more appealing to the eye.

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 09-12-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:21 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

I was told C7 was slightly smaller than C6. Can't mention source because everyone is so darn paranoid.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:48 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
Making measurement comparisons as best I could against this rendition and a scale model C6 some obvious differences can be guesstimated. 1) The C7 rendition appears to be 1.5 - 2.0 inches lower than the C6. 2) The overall C7 length has increased approx 6-8 inches over the C6 (possible?). 3) The relative relation between door window height to door height is approx 20% less on the C7 as to the C6.

Those proportion changes from the C6 to the C7 makes the C7 rendition above look more like an exotic which IMO makes it more appealing to the eye.
I have a hard time understanding how the C6 got 5" shorter than the C5 and that they would go back and add 8" UNLESS they are making room for the AWD/2+2 seating options!
Old 09-12-2012, 08:58 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I have a hard time understanding how the C6 got 5" shorter than the C5 and that they would go back and add 8" UNLESS they are making room for the AWD/2+2 seating options!
That and other dimension proportional differences between this C7 rendition and the C6 have me wondering, but I doubt disappointed when an actuall C7 is
finally revealed.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:30 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

I have no idea what the wheelbase or the overall length of the C7 will be. But, a longer car is easier to get a lower Cd and a longer wheelbase increases the car's footprint which has an effect on the car's EPA MPG rating. The larger the footprint, the lower the gas mileage standard. Move the wheels as far outboard as possible and increase the wheelbase = larger footprint.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:15 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have no idea what the wheelbase or the overall length of the C7 will be. But, a longer car is easier to get a lower Cd and a longer wheelbase increases the car's footprint which has an effect on the car's EPA MPG rating. The larger the footprint, the lower the gas mileage standard. Move the wheels as far outboard as possible and increase the wheelbase = larger footprint.
I don't question your points but please tell me who at GM would make the car that much longer to affect the EPA's rating or to improve the Cd? I was kidding about the AWD but I would believe that before I'd believe they'd add 6-8" for the reasons you mentioned.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:39 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

I don't question your points but please tell me who at GM would make the car that much longer to affect the EPA's rating or to improve the Cd? I was kidding about the AWD but I would believe that before I'd believe they'd add 6-8" for the reasons you mentioned.
The engineers and designers that are very concerned about that last .1 MPG that they have to achieve.

Get notified of new replies

To Photoshopped Trinity Rendering

Old 09-12-2012, 01:16 PM
man00dude
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Very good photo rendering. I'm guessing that the side view is very close to the actual model... and I think they haven't finalized the front or rear.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:26 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

The engineers and designers that are very concerned about that last .1 MPG that they have to achieve.
On secondary roads my C6 felt like one of Audi's LeMans cars. I feel like I am eating up a lane and a half with my foot wide Goodyears. I am praying they trimmed the girth just a little.

I don't understand how the EPA foot print program works. Apparently the larger the print the lower the mpg requirement? They will bite their own nose off to spite their face if they play that game with this car.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:29 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Porsche has stated that the wheelbase increase in their 991 was for future hybrid systems.

Quick Reply: Photoshopped Trinity Rendering