Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just noticed something rear hatch

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 11:41 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,376 Likes on 2,067 Posts

I think I have the back hatch figured out. It is an upside down "T". It widens back out just after of the quarter windows. This way it is lighter, does not have to have the quarter windows light with it.

Why does it widen, you ask? So that you can still slide the Targa roof in though the back hatch. The hatch is clearly not wide enough to hold the roof. The hatch is narrower at the hinge than the roof is.

Also I do not agree the back window is flat. you will notice one long triangular hump on both sides of the hatch. That is hide the curvature of the glass. It makes it "look" flat.

There is padding all over the car to hide subtle highlights of the shape. It hides the cove, it hides the trailing edge of the car. It hides portions of the nose.

Everywhere there is padding is where there is something definitive about the design.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:47 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
I think I have the back hatch figured out. It is an upside down "T". It widens back out just after of the quarter windows. This way it is lighter, does not have to have the quarter windows light with it.

Why does it widen, you ask? So that you can still slide the Targa roof in though the back hatch. The hatch is clearly not wide enough to hold the roof. The hatch is narrower at the hinge than the roof is.

Also I do not agree the back window is flat. you will notice one long triangular hump on both sides of the hatch. That is hide the curvature of the glass. It makes it "look" flat.

There is padding all over the car to hide subtle highlights of the shape. It hides the cove, it hides the trailing edge of the car. It hides portions of the nose.

Everywhere there is padding is where there is something definitive about the design.
Racer, what is your take on that quarter window? Clear or blacked out?
Old 09-20-2012, 12:03 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by John T
Racer, what is your take on that quarter window? Clear or blacked out?
Dark tint, with the forward part black out to hide the halo structure. There are no federal limits on tint in that position. Front side windows can only be tinted so much (35% tint I think). 35% would look almost clear next to 5% tint. 5% looks like blackout from the outside, but easily seen through from the inside during the day.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:10 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Dark tint, with the forward part black out to hide the halo structure. There are no federal limits on tint in that position. Front side windows can only be tinted so much (35% tint I think). 35% would look almost clear next to 5% tint. 5% looks like blackout from the outside, but easily seen through from the inside during the day.
Thanks, you are correct on the hatch configuration . Maybe the quarter window may resemble how they did the 370 Z. Blacked out for few inches to cover structure then goes clear . I can only hope..
Old 09-20-2012, 12:48 AM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

No one notice the double LED light lit up at the passenger side rear wheel!
Old 09-20-2012, 01:30 AM
Nitrous Oxide
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can live with blacked out quarter windows. It looks alright on the F12, IMO. Yeah, it's kinda fancy. But so what, LOL. To me, if it's cool, it's cool. No need for explaining. A bit like the split window Sting Ray.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:47 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

You can also see from the test mule that the rear hatch lines match up once again with the Jalopnik render... I dont see how all these details can be correct over and over and confirm the Jalopnik render without them seeing the real car... Once again looks like they got another part correct.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:47 AM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 595 Likes on 176 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

That makes sense
I did not think about the roof
Old 09-20-2012, 07:30 AM
chiefttp
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

Jr3,
Good point! however, on some of the other shots the inward cant of the rear quarters towards the centerline of the car is much more pronounced than on the Jalopnik Picture you posted.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:36 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by John T
Thanks, you are correct on the hatch configuration . Maybe the quarter window may resemble how they did the 370 Z. Blacked out for few inches to cover structure then goes clear . I can only hope..
You mean like this? Although the C7 has a hatch with the Fiero a rear deck, they have done it before, Pontiac that is.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:19 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ
You mean like this? Although the C7 has a hatch with the Fiero a rear deck, they have done it before, Pontiac that is.

Almost exactly ..Thanks CJ. This is abstract but I am thinking that all of these "camo" cars are painted black underneath . If we saw a color somewhere and that "fixed" piece was still black I would have to give in ..
Old 09-20-2012, 08:46 AM
sly4458
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The C6 still looks bad *** coming down the road. Hope the 7 looks as good.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:43 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Great work in deciphering these images guys, that's definitely tinted rear glass & outward viewing for the 2+2 passengers. I'm sure GM figured out how to get that roof stowed into the back too, but I doubt there'll be room for the roof & back seat passengers at the same time.

Last edited by Bedouin; 09-20-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:01 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by burtonbl103
And there still appears to be a "halo between the rear hatch and front windows roof
Absolutely...there is a halo. And there is clearly a CF removable targa top.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ADVBedouin
Great work in deciphering these images guys, that's definitely tinted rear glass & outward viewing for the 2+2 passengers. I'm sure GM figured out how to get that roof stowed into the back too, but I doubt there'll be room for the roof & back seat passengers at the same time.
2+2 is not going to happen, no matter how many times you guys say it.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I hear ya Racer, but check out all the stuff piled behind the seats, right where the rear-center tunnel & rear bulkhead should be..if that were a C6 that stuff would be piled just behind the center console lid; It still doesn't look possible, but I'll bet that thing's got 2 tiny rear seats..

Last edited by Bedouin; 09-20-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:33 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Absolutely...there is a halo. And there is clearly a CF removable targa top.
I guess I would rather not have the quarter window so this is a little wishful thinking..
You say you see a halo. Is it a C6 style halo or a halo behind glass?
Notice the camo cut like a quarter window ---

Get notified of new replies

To Just noticed something rear hatch

Old 09-20-2012, 08:44 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ADVBedouin

ADV , How can you be sure that is glass? Have you studied the latest camo shots? It does not look like glass in those shots. It looks to be the same material as the roof (not the hatch).
Old 09-20-2012, 08:57 PM
zland
Drifting

Received 608 Likes on 191 Posts

Instead of comparing it to a Fiero, consider the integrated side windows & fastback look a lot like a Mustang. Are we going backwards or forward?
Old 09-20-2012, 09:01 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by zland
Instead of comparing it to a Fiero, consider the integrated side windows & fastback look a lot like a Mustang. Are we going backwards or forward?
The only look I don't want to see is blacked out glass on two of the six windows.

Quick Reply: Just noticed something rear hatch