B-Pillar

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Chris Draper
Drifting

Location: Gilbert, Arizona Currently Own: 1998 Coupe YouTube: My Corvette Life
Received 494 Likes on 208 Posts

Default B-Pillar

I know a lot of people are outraged over the taillights not being round, but I'm surprised more people aren't upset at the lack of a B-Pillar. This has been the the most defining design element of a Corvette for 50 years.

The taillights and rear are still unmistakably "Corvette" despite their shape.

I for one welcome change, and If they can pull it off to where the transition from the door window to the B Pillar window is seamless and looks like the glass just flows as one piece, I think it will look great. If not, I don't know how I will feel.

Here are some quick photoshops I put together showing some different design visions.

Old 09-29-2012, 11:30 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

As quite a few already know on CF this detail had me crazy for a while but I feel like I am now confident the C7 will have a real quarter window. I was very perplexed that the Jal render had this weird overlay- filler looking thing (only on the profile rendering and your top picture) that did not make sense if you factored in to this that the rest of the rendering was almost CAD like and intricately detailed.
I do think this detail will help in making the C7 appear sleeker.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:58 PM
Chris Draper
Drifting

Location: Gilbert, Arizona Currently Own: 1998 Coupe YouTube: My Corvette Life
Received 494 Likes on 208 Posts

Old 09-30-2012, 09:47 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I welcome a new look to this car and that may well be good. I'm really concerned about sight lines with what I have seen so far.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:35 AM
encore
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was discussed last week on another post. Since 68 there has been a hoop/rollbar in the roof where the targa top fastens. This hoop extends down to the chasis frame so there has always been a panel between the door and the back glass/roof. Someone posted one of the test cars where the camo had moved back off the roof and it showed a small black panel between the door glass and the fixed window. It doesn't look nearly as big as the halo on the c5 and c6 but it seems to still have one.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:04 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by encore
This was discussed last week on another post. Since 68 there has been a hoop/rollbar in the roof where the targa top fastens. This hoop extends down to the chasis frame so there has always been a panel between the door and the back glass/roof. Someone posted one of the test cars where the camo had moved back off the roof and it showed a small black panel between the door glass and the fixed window. It doesn't look nearly as big as the halo on the c5 and c6 but it seems to still have one.
I have spent a lot of time with this detail encore and so far I have found we may see something similar to a 370 Z - a quarter window that may be partially blacked out to hide structure .

Get notified of new replies

To B-Pillar

Quick Reply: B-Pillar