C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What will we hear about the C7 engine tomorrow??

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 11:53 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

What I find hard to swallow is that if this is their halo car,world class this,interior that blah blah,why in hell will a Camaro have more HP? 580 vs 400 anything or even 505-525...Yea,yea,I know,lighter faster all that,but the HP number speaks to people too!I think they will present a car that resembles a Ferarri and they will bump the ponies aprox.50 ot so over the c6 base car.I'd love for them to stick 580 or more hp in there personally!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:59 PM
Mr.Chevy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who said we will hear about the engine tomorrow ?
Old 10-24-2012, 12:09 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Chevy
A knowledgeable fellow who goes by "GM'er". Tomorrow is now.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:31 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Well, then he is lying in the video. He even says they owe the media this information.

Now, will he (in classic auto industry double-speak) be completely accurate with those numbers? Who knows?
How is he lying if he provides details about the engine that will power the C7 without releasing the peak horsepower or peak torque figure? I've watched the video, he never says anything more specific than "details." And he says they owe the media the story of the C7 powertrain in answer to why they're not releasing it to the public at Petit LeMans, not that they owe the media horsepower or torque figures at a specific time.

.Jinx
Old 10-24-2012, 01:22 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Carver Electrics
Also the C7 is very important to GM's image which has suffered quite a bit as of late.
Suffered in what way? Looks like they are doing pretty good. Still largest manufacturer in the US and maybe have the world title back.

Bill
Old 10-24-2012, 01:26 AM
ZL-1
Safety Car

Received 184 Likes on 122 Posts

When the C6 Z06 was unveiled at the Detroit show in January of 2005 the advertised horsepower was 500. All the press releases and magazine stories showed 500. The show cars and captured test fleet cars had simple Z06 fender emblems with no horsepower up until April, some were at the Bash in BG. Then in April 2005, SAE certified testing "found" another 5 horsepower. New Z06 emblems with "505 HP" added were produced and appeared before production of customer ordered cars began.

Even if the horsepower we see in January seems disappointing to some guys here, don't forget to do the math and calculate the pounds-per-horsepower compared to the C6 and get a pleasant surprise. And a few months later it just might get a little bump. The big story of the base C7 will be an outstanding blend of performance and efficiency (mpg). It's not supposed to beat the Z06 or ZL1, later C7 variants will do that.

Last edited by ZL-1; 10-24-2012 at 01:30 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:32 AM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Is Donald Trump announcing the new engine specs today?
Old 10-24-2012, 02:28 AM
BuddhaZ06
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

my guess is 485-490hp. DI 6.2L with vvt. bam.

so what time will this info be released and where will i be able to find it? on facebook or here or onethireen13.com? im so anxious!
Old 10-24-2012, 02:31 AM
tonysrep
Racer

when I picked up my vette I was told the rumored engine would be 5.4 liter so I'm going with 425 hp.....
Old 10-24-2012, 03:02 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx
How is he lying if he provides details about the engine that will power the C7 without releasing the peak horsepower or peak torque figure? I've watched the video, he never says anything more specific than "details." And he says they owe the media the story of the C7 powertrain in answer to why they're not releasing it to the public at Petit LeMans, not that they owe the media horsepower or torque figures at a specific time.

.Jinx
Truth

Originally Posted by ZL-1
When the C6 Z06 was unveiled at the Detroit show in January of 2005 the advertised horsepower was 500. All the press releases and magazine stories showed 500. The show cars and captured test fleet cars had simple Z06 fender emblems with no horsepower up until April, some were at the Bash in BG. Then in April 2005, SAE certified testing "found" another 5 horsepower. New Z06 emblems with "505 HP" added were produced and appeared before production of customer ordered cars began.

Even if the horsepower we see in January seems disappointing to some guys here, don't forget to do the math and calculate the pounds-per-horsepower compared to the C6 and get a pleasant surprise. And a few months later it just might get a little bump. The big story of the base C7 will be an outstanding blend of performance and efficiency (mpg). It's not supposed to beat the Z06 or ZL1, later C7 variants will do that.

More truth

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
What I find hard to swallow is that if this is their halo car,world class this,interior that blah blah,why in hell will a Camaro have more HP? 580 vs 400 anything or even 505-525...Yea,yea,I know,lighter faster all that,but the HP number speaks to people too!I think they will present a car that resembles a Ferarri and they will bump the ponies aprox.50 ot so over the c6 base car.I'd love for them to stick 580 or more hp in there personally!
So you'd love a 600 hp base vette, but then you also think it'll be 480ish hp, but do you really believe jumping up to a current $100,000 model's hp level would ever happen? There is simply no way a "mass produced" NA engine can hit 600 hp, unless the company is willing to dump huge amounts of money into it(ferrari v12, lambo v12, viper v10, and a handfull of others)

As ZL-1 said, the real deal will be once the engines are SAE rated. For the zr1 GM had came right out and said our target is 100hp/L for the "super vette" before it's release I believe. Then sure enough one morning, SAE testing certified it at 638. Numbers wont be given out today, save maybe for displacement.

Keep in mind there is ONE engine currently made which we can use as a realistic comparison to this new v8. The new hemi's always made comparable power to the LSx's. I wont get into which is better(duh we know which is) but by the numbers, they are comparable, ESPECIALLY the versions with variable cam timing. That being said, the 6.4 Hemi makes 470hp @ 6000 rpms, 470lb ft @ 4200rpms, has 10.9 compression, and redlines at 6400. That engine has variable cam timing, so the torque curve is really pretty fat, and hp peaks fairly high.

With that in mind, it's really hard to swallow a variable cam timing 5.5 v8 even with direct injection exceding the current ls3's power(keep in mind a huge part of direct injection's power comes from running serious compression/timing and that hemi is already 10.9 comression). Now a 6.2 with variable cam timing/direct injection, yeah, thats a solid 480+hp motor with improved fuel mileage as well. For a 5.5 to do that, you'd essentially be asking for a 20% increase in power from an ls6, an already hot motor, and one that's still .2 liters larger. I've kept that Hemi in the back of my mind from the start of the 5.5 rumour. I just don't see it being that small and surpassing the ls3's output, which is the bare necessity.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:56 AM
JSBJohn
Instructor

Originally Posted by CPhelps
http://www.gmpowertrain.com/VehicleE...nProducts.aspx

GM lists the engine mass as 403lbs, but also lists the GS Manual Coupe as 466 lbs, which I assume is from the dry sump. There is no information given as to the state of dress of the engines, but if the Manual GS LS3 weighs 53 lbs more, I would think it would have to be taking into account additional oil capacity from the dry sump, suggesting that fluids are there...

LS7 is 454. Again, presumably the extra weight is due to the extra oil capacity from the dry sump system. I assume the ~12 lbs savings between LS7 and LS3 dry sump is related to the Ti parts in the LS7? It's also possible that GM's site has the original, smaller dry sump, and the more recent GS LS3 has the larger dry sump, so that a newer LS7 that also got the larger dry sump tank would be closer to 466?

Unfortunately engine mass is not listed for either the LSA or LS9 supercharged Gen IV engines.

This also illustrates why a smaller displacement V8, such as 5.5L, will likely not really gain much weight-wise. Since we know Gen V retains the 4.4" bore spacing, it should have roughly the same external dimensions as Gen IV. Hopefully the Gen V will be a bit lighter than Gen IV, regardless of displacement, from increased optimization of the engine, removing material where it is not needed. The Gen III and IV engines were already very good in this respect though, so there might not be much for them to cut. Or diminishing returns might be such that they didn't take the engineering time to go after them, vs. doing something else.

I don't really expect to get details to the level of the current engines listed on the powertrain site linked above, but hope we see displacement, power outputs, what the "new combustion system is, whether or not the engine has VVT and/or VVL, and if so in what capacity. If they've made a significant weight reduction they might want to brag about it now, as well.

As far as my guess: 6.2L Anywhere from 440 to ~512 hp should be achievable, depending on how much they sacrificed power for fuel economy. We may all end up with a pleasant surprise if the "new combustion system" ends up being similar to DI in that it allows increased economy as well as increased power...
LS7 is a 427, not 454. I believe there is validity to the 5.5L claims as well as the claims that the engine power output will be higher as well as more efficient with direct injection and engine cylinder shut off. This engine will also be going into GM's truck and suv line up and possibly their next gen sports coupes and sedans.

Last edited by JSBJohn; 10-24-2012 at 04:00 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:17 AM
Nuieve
Intermediate

450-480hp for the first 3 years bumped to 480-500 for a mid-cycle refresh. Historically there was no big hp jumps between vette generations.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:19 AM
The Highlander
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you imagine this engine has VVL? IT would be the most awesome Engine ever produced PERIOD...

imagine a 7L with VVL... Striker Camshaft upper cam with stock like idle... Best of both worlds!
Old 10-24-2012, 05:31 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddhaZ06
my guess is 485-490hp. DI 6.2L with vvt. bam.
This 5.5L rumor that started years ago and has blossomed into almost fact is actually looking more and more plausible right now...though I too am still hopeful for 6.2L (or even 6.4L?) and 480+hp.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:19 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jinx

.Jinx
OK, I suppose it is possible they could talk around those numbers but the idea that you would go out of your way to say you are waiting til Wednesday and make a big deal out of a date when you will finally release the details and then leave that out is disingenuous at best.
But hey, if he doesn't, he doesn't.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:21 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mr.Chevy
Tadge Juechter
Old 10-24-2012, 06:22 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by CaryKen
Is Donald Trump announcing the new engine specs today?

Get notified of new replies

To What will we hear about the C7 engine tomorrow??

Old 10-24-2012, 06:37 AM
Badluck33
Racer

for sure it will be > 430hp. That we can all assume to be a correct statement. Not really going to compare high end Camaro vs. Base Model Corvette and say that the C7 must surpass the HP of that Camaro.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:10 AM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Its the following; 6.2L, DI, GM variable cam timing. GM was considering making a iron block version but is probably going to opt against it.(weight mainly) 480HP, 450 tq.

New EPA mandates essentially prevent the motor from being a high-revver (what you need to make power for a smaller displacement). Next motor version (after this) will be some form of 'ecoboost' as that's essentially the only way newer motors can meet regulations and make any sort of power.

But what do I know? Could be an air cooled two cylinder diesel.
You know, just sezzing. I've have a direct friend working the engine development team for a while :P
Old 10-24-2012, 09:20 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by JSBJohn
LS7 is a 427, not 454. I believe there is validity to the 5.5L claims as well as the claims that the engine power output will be higher as well as more efficient with direct injection and engine cylinder shut off. This engine will also be going into GM's truck and suv line up and possibly their next gen sports coupes and sedans.
He was quoting WEIGHT, not cubic inches.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: What will we hear about the C7 engine tomorrow??