C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AUTOLINE DAILY reports on how NOT to launch a new model..namely,the next Vette.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 11:44 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Default AUTOLINE DAILY reports on how NOT to launch a new model..namely,the next Vette.

LOOSE LIPS SINK ‘VETTES
The new Corvette will make its debut at a special event in Detroit on January 13th, and between now and then I can assure you that we will be inundated with videos, “sneak” images and other pertinent attacks of Internet information from here on out, all designed to make enthusiasts salivate at the prospect of the first new Corvette in years.

And it will be all wrong, and on so many levels too.

The prevailing mindset proffered by sparkly image wranglers these days (and when I say “image wranglers” I am referring to advertising, marketing and PR operatives) is: 1. You must manipulate the playing field. 2. That means that absolutely nothing can be left to chance. And 3. Only we know the what, where, when, why and how of it all, and we will orchestrate to a fare-thee-well in order to accomplish our mission.

But do you really need to beat the anticipatory drums for one of the most iconic sports cars in the world? Do you think there’s a chance that A. Someone with even a shred of automotive curiosity wouldn’t have heard something about a new Corvette coming? Or that B. It wouldn’t be instantaneous news across the mediasphere the moment it was unveiled?

But if I were tasked to lead the launch of the new Corvette, I wouldn’t allow any teases of any kind. That means no early discussion of its content, no hints at what it will or won’t do, no emblem reveals, no engine spec disclosure, no design reveals in the shadows, no n-o-t-h-i-n-g.

Remember, this is the Corvette we’re talking about here. It is one of exactly two automotive nameplates in this business – the Ford Mustang being the other – that transcend all consumer groups in this country. Nearly everyone has some sort of personal Corvette story, or a remembrance of the car from some point in his or her lives.

I would venture to guess that if Chevrolet operatives had completely kept a lid on the new Corvette and released zero information of any kind, the resulting media frenzy would be spectacular, and if the new Corvette lives up to its billing, even more so.

Let this be a forewarning to the enthusiasts over in Dearborn who are feverishly at work on the next-generation Mustang. Pay attention to how Chevrolet is setting the table for the new Corvette and use it as a road map on how not to do it.

Remember that creating excitement does not mean controlling every last shred of information.

It means letting people’s imaginations and emotional connections run wild with anticipation.
Not sure if I agree with all of it but I see the point.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:04 AM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Repost. The guy is looking for attention. At least you didn't post his name.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:41 AM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech
Repost. The guy is looking for attention. At least you didn't post his name.
He is also very wrong. Great way to build hype is the exact same way Chevy is doing it. After all that is why we are here.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:27 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Oh,sorry.Didn't realize it was a dupe.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Carver Electrics
Great way to build hype is the exact same way Chevy is doing it.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:48 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If Peter D. was still in the ad agency game he would be singing a different tune.
DUPE

Get notified of new replies

To AUTOLINE DAILY reports on how NOT to launch a new model..namely,the next Vette.

Quick Reply: AUTOLINE DAILY reports on how NOT to launch a new model..namely,the next Vette.