Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 on E85 faster than C6ZO6

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 11:48 AM
CaryKen
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I know absolutely nothing about this subject, so help out a neophyte...

Can you switch back and forth between the two types of fuel to see what happens? Can you put one on top of the other while there is still some left in the tank/engine? Or do you need to do a complete drain to make sure the two liquids ne'er meet?
Old 12-12-2012, 11:50 AM
RocketGuy3
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That seems very fishy to me, especially given that the compression ratio is fixed and E85 has a fairly significantly lower energy density than petrol.

Originally Posted by CaryKen
I know absolutely nothing about this subject, so help out a neophyte...

Can you switch back and forth between the two types of fuel to see what happens? Can you put one on top of the other while there is still some left in the tank/engine? Or do you need to do a complete drain to make sure the two liquids ne'er meet?
I'm 99% sure you can mix. I'm no chemist, but regular "petrol" is generally about 10-15% ethanol, anyways. And E85 (as the name suggests) is only about 85% ethanol. So if you mix you fudge with the ratios a bit, but you're not mixing any chemicals that aren't already being mixed. Nothing is going to explode. You'll just get some performance somewhere in the middle of the spectrum.

Last edited by RocketGuy3; 12-12-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Snobike Mike
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
That seems very fishy to me, especially given that the compression ratio is fixed and E85 has a fairly significantly lower energy density than petrol.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:09 PM
99SoCalFRC
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Alot of the 5.0 boys are using E85, after injector swaps, spark plug and timing changes, most seem to be reporting a 10HP gain.

If you think you are getting 80HP from a fuel change without changing the pistons, milling the heads or adding forced induction, you are crazy.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 PM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

Have GM said whether or not the LT1 will be FlexFuel?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:22 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by rpanesar
I agree where do these tools get their info from....changing engine compression at will.....
There is a patent for an engine design that can mechanically change the compression ratio at will, but the LT1 does not use that patented design. As for as I know, the patented design is not used by any manufacturer.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Paulchristian
Melting Slicks

Received 174 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
The C7 is going to SHOCK the world with it's advances........

I said this before and I will say it again......

....the C6 is gonna get old real quick come 01/13/13
Hemi Dave, you may be right...however, at this point, with all this anticipation,clues,rumors,leaked videos,preview videos,gaming downloads, etc, it BETTER make a huge bang or a lot of people are going to feel either let down or

This car needs to make a big bang.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:28 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Maybe I missed it but where was said that the LT1 would even BE Flex Fuel capable?

Jimmy
Old 12-12-2012, 12:36 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by JoesC5
There is a patent for an engine design that can mechanically change the compression ratio at will, but the LT1 does not use that patented design. As for as I know, the patented design is not used by any manufacturer.
Saab has it and I thought it went into production at some point. A variable boost engine would be the one most able to handle E85. You could raise the boost on the fly to take advantage of the higher effective octane.

EDIT: nvm, it got shelved and never went into production due to cost.

Last edited by chaase; 12-12-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:45 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by chaase
Saab has it and I thought it went into production at some point. A variable boost engine would be the one most able to handle E85. You could raise the boost on the fly to take advantage of the higher effective octane.

EDIT: nvm, it got shelved and never went into production due to cost.
You're talking about 2 different things. A variable boost turbocharger is NOT the same as variable compression ratio. No one has ever produced a variable compression ratio engine in a passenger car, but many have experimented.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_compression_ratio

Jimmy
Old 12-12-2012, 12:47 PM
WaxWeekly
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Just watch the first minute and a half.

having trouble with embedding the video, but here's the link of the CCX where they talk about getting more hp simply by adjusting the tune and using E85. 806 on US fuel, 850 on EU fuel and 900 on E85.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svxRpqeqFRY

Based on several articles found with a simple google search, the tune is all that's needed to make more power on E85 under certain circumstances, not on just any engine/setup. We won't know until it's actually done, but it sounds like it's entirely possible that the premise is accurate. Since google doesn't mean it's factual, we'll just have to wait and see...

Last edited by WaxWeekly; 12-12-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

Welcome to the future my friends.....2013....

Last edited by Hemi Dave; 12-12-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:12 PM
BeaZt
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by WaxWeekly
Just watch the first minute and a half.

having trouble with embedding the video, but here's the link of the CCX where they talk about getting more hp simply by adjusting the tune and using E85. 806 on US fuel, 850 on EU fuel and 900 on E85.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svxRpqeqFRY

Based on several articles found with a simple google search, the tune is all that's needed to make more power on E85 under certain circumstances, not on just any engine/setup. We won't know until it's actually done, but it sounds like it's entirely possible that the premise is accurate. Since google doesn't mean it's factual, we'll just have to wait and see...
He went into great detail explaining how it would work on LT1 over on the tech site. If it does work I have over 20 E85 stations within a 25 mile radius of my house
Old 12-12-2012, 01:25 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
I'm confused. Compression ratio is a fixed number, so an engine running on E85 still has the compression ratio it always had. That said, will the engine management computer allow for advanced timing, different fuel mapping, etc on E85 verses premium gas?

One note to all: While E85 has higher octane, it also has less BTU's (energy) so expect fuel mileage to drop noticeably when using E85 verses pure gasoline.

Jimmy
The calculated compression ratio presumes that the cylinder is sealed at the bottom of the stroke, and that the volume compressed is the actual volume.

However: intake valve closure (sealing the cylinder) always takes place after BDC, which may cause some of the intake charge to be compressed backwards out of the cylinder by the rising piston at very low speeds; only the percentage of the stroke after intake valve closure is compressed. Intake port tuning and scavenging may allow a greater mass of charge (at a higher than atmospheric pressure) to be trapped in the cylinder than the static volume would suggest This "corrected" compression ratio is commonly called the "dynamic compression ratio".

So two identical engines with the same static compression ratio may have completely different dynamic ratios which would mean completely different power characteristics.

Last edited by hig4s; 12-12-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:31 PM
R6cowboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suppose for those who don't know. Increased power using E85 in leau of 91 or 93 octane is no mystery, nor is it new, even with N/A applications. Many have converted their LS based Corvettes (among other vehicles) to run E85 naturally aspirated and have seen decent power increases. Of course in any current LSx engine, a much bigger fuel pump, larger injectors and re-tuned PCM to run stickly E85 is necessary to take advantage of the fuel. Forced induction applications can see much higher power increases using E85 in leau of 93 octane by being able to increase boost pressure and timing due to the fact E85 has higher octane levels and runs much cooler then gasoline.

I have no idea if the new LT1 C7 will be able to do this on-the-fly (it will have the high pressure fuel system E85 requires), but technology never seizes to amaze us.

Last edited by R6cowboy; 12-12-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:07 PM
91redragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hemi Dave
The C7 is going to SHOCK the world with it's advances........

I said this before and I will say it again......

....the C6 is gonna get old real quick come 01/13/13

Mine will just be one day older on 1/13/13!! I will gladly keep my GS and be very happy with it!!!
Old 12-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by 91redragtop
[/B]

Mine will just be one day older on 1/13/13!! I will gladly keep my GS and be very happy with it!!!
The C6 will be an oldie but a goodie....no shame in that

Get notified of new replies

To C7 on E85 faster than C6ZO6

Old 12-12-2012, 02:16 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

The way this new ECU adapts and the hardware is there to support it is really neat. It gives me that Back to the Future vibe, throwing banana peals in the tank for fuel and whatnot

No E85 around the house for me, but I do have some 100 octane gas stations.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Boo383
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't think of any reason this isn't feasible. GM has made flex fuel vehicles for many years now, and even the Corvette racing team has used E85.

Although E85 was originally marketed as a renewable fuel substitute it proved to be uneconomical for us as consumers. It lacks the BTU factor of gasoline and despite costing less it yielded a lower MPG which was not offset by the lower price.

However from a performance standpoint E85 makes lots of sense! 110 octane racing fuel is around $10/gallon, and E85 offers comparable if not better performance for around $3/gallon. Using E85 will of course lower your MPG, but you could see significant power gains. Obvious Win Win situation.

If the GM power train team designed this DI system with these things in mind then we could fill the tank on 93 and get 30+mpg on a long trip, but if we're going to the track we can fill up with E85 for an extra 40hp. Marketing could advertise the new vette runs on biofuel making the environmentalists happy and giving us more power at the same time! Another Win Win!

If this turns out to be legit, then the Corvette team has once again pushed the technological envelope and exceeded expectations in every possible way.

Looking forward to Jan. 13!!
Old 12-12-2012, 03:08 PM
BuddhaZ06
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dynamic compression possibly? That's changed a lot in n/a motors with different cams. And the lt1 will be able to adjust it with valve timing right? I'm not real up to date on this stuff but it would be pretty badass

Quick Reply: C7 on E85 faster than C6ZO6