Sponsored by:

C7 Unveiling coverage from Detroit 1.13.13

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 09:31 PM
BadLS3
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T. Wayne Nelson
Someone will fab up a kit for the rear end that will sell like hotcakes.
johnv474
5th Gear

Default C6 reveal all over again

Remember when the C6 was revealed?

Remember how many people said it was horribly ugly, and that they would never buy one, and to ****** up a C5 while you still could, and that the Corvette name has just gone down the toilet, and so on, ad nauseam?

What the Corvette has needed has been an edgier design that would appeal to younger people. Why? Because Chevrolet is trying to target younger owners. For several reasons, the Corvette has become known as being an older person's sports car. Part of this is due to many baby boomers et seq. who have had a Corvette as their dream car until they could afford it.

The Corvette has likewise become known, as one source calls it, the car of the successful plumber... and I imagine that would be for a similar reason as above.

One of the main complaints about the C5 and C6? Cheap interior.

So, if you listen to your buyers and you aim for the buyers who hope to also include, you need a design that is a) edgy enough for teenagers to be excited by it, b) upscale enough to draw buyers from other upscale/exotic/European designs, and c) that has a revamped interior that is in a different league than its predecessors.

For what it's worth, it could be argued that, say, a 1973 Corvette had mighty similar taillights to a 1973 Camaro or (gulp) 1973 Malibu SS, as well. For Corvette to have an edgier version of a design cue from the 'lesser' performance car would not be new, or unusual. That's what distinguishes the different trim lines and keeps each model into its respective role in the automaker's portfolio.

I do not see how using their name and designation of Stingray could be disrespectful to any other vehicle--it is their name to use as they please, and to apply it to a higher-performance and better (from any objective measure) Corvette than any of its predecessors would seem appropriate. Of course, anyone else is entitled to disagree with my opinion.

There is no need for model/generational elitism. I would be amazed if this vehicle were anything less than a technological marvel. Many manufacturing and process innovations are created on account of the Corvette, and what has been revealed so far indicates this continues to be the case. It is not a model for boy racers anymore than the C5 or C6 were designed to address mid-life crises.

I thought the images in the video looked better than the photo galleries I've seen. I like many parts of the interior, and from many angles the C7 looks great. Some details may have to grow on me, but I bet the first one I see on the street will catch my eye.

-JV474

Last edited by johnv474; 01-13-2013 at 09:39 PM.
MillertimeZ06
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a fan of the sperm emblem.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:34 PM
JsnMR2
Pro

IMO the tail lights don't look bad! They ARE different enough from the Camaro.

Later model year C4 vettes did not have round tail lights either.

IMO for a base car, the new C7 looks great. The base C6 was too boring.

Now the real wait begins, for the Z versions of the new C7! I will own a C7 Z06 or whatever. Can't wait.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:34 PM
b4z
Advanced

Probably the rear spoiler needs to be less vertical and smaller. The detailing is just too busy on the car.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:35 PM
chrisw95
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by b4z
I will need to see it in person because every corvette since the C5 has not,photographed well.
I completely agree there, even though I can't say I''m sold based on the pictures.
The interior does look like it's a little better than the C6, but overall, I want to see it in person before saying empirically yes or no.
However, at this point, it does look like it was designed around the GTR.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:35 PM
SSRogers
Racer

I love it
Old 01-13-2013, 09:41 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I think it looks pretty cool. What little I saw of the inst cluster when it was lit looked awesome. I'm looking very forward to driving one.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Bornwild
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not the car I saw for the 2014 corvette! I will keep my 1996 LT4 corvette until they build that one! Disappointed! Will have to wait.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Bornwild; 01-14-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:42 PM
4stroker
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a huge Corvette fan and that is the toughest looking one I've ever seen. GM hit a HUGE home run with this one. Gonna have a fire sale on my C6 before these hit the road!!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:43 PM
Todds427
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Johnz02Z06
here are some pics to compair....I think it looks great and may somewhat resemble a camaro but is also very diferent.
It looks A LOT like a Camaro!, wheels, taillights, spoiler etc. It will have to grow on me for while, before I cough up that kind of money!
Dr. Evil
Le Mans Master

CI 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
CI-IV AutoX Champ
CI-IV Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '07-'10

Originally Posted by johnv474

Remember how many people said it was horribly ugly, and that they would never buy one, and to ****** up a C5 while you still could, and that the Corvette name has just gone down the toilet, and so on, ad nauseam?

What the Corvette has needed has been an edgier design that would appeal to younger people. Why? Because Chevrolet is trying to target younger owners. For several reasons, the Corvette has become known as being an older person's sports car. Part of this is due to many baby boomers et seq. who have had a Corvette as their dream car until they could afford it.

The Corvette has likewise become known, as one source calls it, the car of the successful plumber... and I imagine that would be for a similar reason as above.

So, if you listen to your buyers and you aim for the buyers who hope to also include, you need a design that is a) edgy enough for teenagers to be excited by it, b) upscale enough to draw buyers from other upscale/exotic/European designs, and c) that has a revamped interior that is in a different league than its predecessors.

I do not see how using their name and designation of Stingray could be disrespectful to any other vehicle--it is their name to use as they please, and to apply it to a higher-performance and better (from any objective measure) Corvette than any of its predecessors would seem appropriate. Of course, anyone else is entitled to disagree with my opinion.

There is no need for model/generational elitism. I would be amazed if this vehicle were anything less than a technological marvel. Many manufacturing and process innovations are created on account of the Corvette, and what has been revealed so far indicates this continues to be the case. It is not a model for boy racers anymore than the C5 or C6 were designed to address mid-life crises.

I thought the images in the video looked better than the photo galleries I've seen. I like many parts of the interior, and from many angles the C7 looks great. Some details may have to grow on me, but I bet the first one I see on the street will catch my eye.

-JV474
Best post in the entire thread.

The same things were said when the C5 came out. Its fat, its big, its for old geezers, the seats dont hug you, its sedan like inside and no longer a sports car.

When the C6 came out everyone here was like: Where is the new design? This is a C5.5. Not a huge jump in HP so I'll keep my C5. Its boring.

Chevy needed to do something very different. In many ways the C6 was just an evolutionary jump and we've had a similar car in the C5/6 since 1997. After 17 years of those two designs they needed something radically different. I'm all for it.
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I hope it's a success, but one is not in my future. I wait for the C8.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:45 PM
LDYSTIG
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by johnv474

For what it's worth, it could be argued that, say, a 1973 Corvette had mighty similar taillights to a 1973 Camaro or (gulp) 1973 Malibu SS, as well. For Corvette to have an edgier version of a design cue from the 'lesser' performance car would not be new, or unusual. That's what distinguishes the different trim lines and keeps each model into its respective role in the automaker's portfolio.

-JV474
Educated and sensible post, very well written

The edgy design and 'European' styling IS trying to draw in a younger crowd. Why? Because GM is trying to build loyal, life-long customers

People don't like change and the modern look of the C7 is definitely going to turn a few people off, but I think it will grow on people with time.

I think GM did a great job with the styling and had a huge improvement with the interior. I can't wait to see the car in person!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:46 PM
jtownsilverz06
Advanced

I like it alot but I do not like the camaro tail lights at all!! Should have round lights!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:47 PM
1FunZ06
Burning Brakes

Dayum! Love it! Nice job GM. Wish I were driving it along the gulf coast next weekend and turning heads. Needs a Borla!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:48 PM
switchplanner
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

wait for it....

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Unveiling coverage from Detroit 1.13.13

Old 01-13-2013, 09:51 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

I like the aggressiveness to the look, not as safe as prior looks.

Much, much better than the C6 and C5.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:52 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

more i look this over the more i'm split. it's almost like they tried to make a luxury sports car. you have these really nice looking seats. GM finally listened and made a seat since the last good ones stopped in 1993. you have this modern and pretty awesome looking front end. then you have this camaro inspired rear end, caddy steering wheel and s2000-ish gauge cluster.

it just doesn't have that "raw" feeling about it that ferrari and porsche never seem to lose track of. even subaru for example keeps a very functional and raw interior even as they update function with the new STI

i remember GM saying they wanted to market this car more places than to just old white men.

it just seems like this car was really designed for them

i don't dislike it, it just seems like they spent more time on features and selling points than they did making a refined driver experience car.

will reserve judgement till i see one in person. some cars like the audi r8 are kind of so-so in pictures but downright awesome in person
Old 01-13-2013, 09:52 PM
JCSRT8
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I absolutely LOVE IT!!! Looks great from front to rear, inside and out. Selling the SRT8 soon to help fund this next purchase Kudo's to GM for never upsetting me with Corvettes designs.

Quick Reply: C7 Unveiling coverage from Detroit 1.13.13