C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Teach Me How To Buy A C7 from you experience.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 01:23 AM
ZishanM
Pro

Received 278 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Teach Me How To Buy A C7 from you experience.

Does anyone have any new Corevette buying/shopping experience when a new generation of corvette emerges? Since 2008 you have been able to buy a C6 for about $5k off of MSRP. Now you can get a base C6 with MSRP of $50K for about $43K, about $7k off. Assuming the MSRP on the new vette is $53K, how long does it take for the the initial demand to be absorbed and for similar discounts of $5k below MSRP to take effect?

In terms of the used market, I remember seeing C5's in the Summer of 2006 selling for $18k with 30-60k miles. Higher mileage cars were going for about $16-16.5k. I fully expect the very begninning years of the C6, to follow a similair pattern as soon as people start taking delivery of their C7s.

Also does anyone think that the old adage of waiting to buy the second year, after the first year has had it kinks refined still applies? The first year of the C5 and C6 both had different wiring harnesses after things were changed around if I am not mistaken. Some said the '05's has electrical issues and we all remember the weak diff that was destroyed when motor trend first tested the car.

Part of me wants to buy early because these cars have a long generation run and you can really enjoy it through out its run as the current corvette. If there are any problems that's what warranty is for, but I wouldn't want to miss big landmark changes to the car which seem to come mid cycle. I fairly confident there will be a new DCT transmission after the first year or two. Maybe I want to hold our for that? I may also be rewarded for waiting by buying a C6 when the first C7's come out at a decent price, and then selling it with minor depreciation when the initial demand for the C7 slows and prices go below MSRP, with possible enhancements to boot.

Can anyone guide me?
Old 01-16-2013, 01:31 AM
stic5
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends on how bad you want it. You're going to pay MSRP for a new C7 during the first year. You MIGHT get grand back of MSRP in year 2. Year 3 is when prices generally begin to drop. Which do you like better? The C7 or a C6 Z06? They are going to be roughly the same price when comparing a brand new C7 to a very low mile used '12 or '13 C6 Z06. I personally plan to wait 3 to 4 years from now and get a very low mile '14 or '15 C7 in the $35k range. The only thing that might sway me from plan is if C6 ZR1 prices fall to within my reach.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:06 AM
lottavettes
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My local dealers were getting $5K over sticker when the C6's came out ....I bought from a northern dealer for $4k under in the Winter of 04.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:14 AM
ZishanM
Pro

Received 278 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by stic5
It all depends on how bad you want it. You're going to pay MSRP for a new C7 during the first year. You MIGHT get grand back of MSRP in year 2. Year 3 is when prices generally begin to drop.
I read somewhere that someone else has a similar experience. it's going to be tougher than last time when you could choose between a C5 Z06 or a new C6. Now we also have the ZR-1 to choose from as well.

Is that your C3 in you avatar? I am a sucker for chrome bumper C3's.

Originally Posted by lottavettes
My local dealers were getting $5K over sticker when the C6's came out ....I bought from a northern dealer for $4k under in the Winter of 04.
This is exactly what I was interested in knowing. I wanted to know if something like this has been possible in the past and it has. I will be looking in the deep winter months to replicate something similar on a C7. Thank you this helps greatly.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:54 AM
VinceJB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bet the Z51 1LT package with competition seats MSRP's for $60k
Old 01-16-2013, 07:03 AM
ufaj26
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 267 Likes on 134 Posts

My dealer is not charging over MSRP and I would assume if you can get the proper certificates such as supplier or what not you would be able to use those as well. It's true the longer you wait the most likely you are to get a little better pricing. The reverse may happen if the C7 really gets off to a huge start though. I have never had a problem in buying a first year car. I had the first year C4, C5 and C6 with no real problems.

If you really want one bad, get your deposit down now. If you can wait it out and hope for better pricing then that's ok as well.

Make sure yoiur deposit is refundable just in case something happens. Beware of dealers charging over MSRP and non refundable deposits.

I'm in now and plan on getting one.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:07 AM
BRCC
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ufaj26
My dealer is not charging over MSRP and I would assume if you can get the proper certificates such as supplier or what not you would be able to use those as well. It's true the longer you wait the most likely you are to get a little better pricing. The reverse may happen if the C7 really gets off to a huge start though. I have never had a problem in buying a first year car. I had the first year C4, C5 and C6 with no real problems.

If you really want one bad, get your deposit down now. If you can wait it out and hope for better pricing then that's ok as well.

Make sure yoiur deposit is refundable just in case something happens. Beware of dealers charging over MSRP and non refundable deposits.

I'm in now and plan on getting one.
As a side note my dealer said they would honor certificates (i.e. GMS/Friends & Family) if GM allows it, but, stated they did not think they would be applicable for the 2014. So time will tell
Old 01-16-2013, 11:06 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Don't waste time with local dealers & know-nothing salesmen. Call a few CF sponsor dealers. They know the answers and from one of them you will get the best price.

Get notified of new replies

To Teach Me How To Buy A C7 from you experience.

Quick Reply: Teach Me How To Buy A C7 from you experience.