Sponsored by:

Car and Driver: Tested : 2013 Detroit Auto Show Editor's Roundtable

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 11:03 PM
mattkilla2015
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CaryBob
Don't know where you live, but around my area guys in their 20s and 30s bought their Corvettes second-hand. There aren't many who have the cash, especially for Z06s, to buy new from GM. Truth is, the people with that kind of money are mainly older.
I live in San Diego close to la jolla (wealthy part of sd). Like me It's probably true a lot of them got their corvettes used I just don't see many older people driving around in them. I do know there are many people in their 30s here that do very well for themselves and can get nice cars. One day I hope to be one of those people. I know its not the norm for that age to have vetted its just what I've been used to for awhile now. Never once when I drove mine did I think this is an old mans mid life crisis car, it was just the funnest, most thrilling ride of my life.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:46 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
I seriously doubt 200lbs difference. 50lbs max, and then you get the 20% stiffer chassis to boot.

Let's be frank here. You could roll on the streets in a C7 this fall and have one of the most appealing cars on the road, or you could roll in a 2013 C6 Z06 and few would be able to tell if it's any different than a 1997 Corvette base inside or outside.

I think folks are seriously understating the rewards of driving the first year of a new generation. This is nearly a decade of advancements from GM packed together in one release. It's going to be great! Compare that to the near touch up the 6th gen was over the 5th... This is C4 compared to C5. C6 stands no chance in comparing to the C7.
That's no joke. I can't tell you how many times people have asked me if either of my C5Zs were brand new.

Originally Posted by 5.4ever
Some of you guys are delusional!!! The C7 looks like a modified C6. Its no evolution, if the C6 was a C5.5, then the C7 is a C6.5!

And for those saying the nearest comp is the viper! Are you kidding me!!! The Viper competes with the ZR1! You trying to tell me the C7 will also??? No way!

The 370Z and the C7 are closer in comp... That sound right???

I think the C7 was a nice attempt by GM and once its modded, it will be very more appealing. But they coulde have done wayyyy better with it

And to the moron saying a C6Z looking like a base C5, lol GFTO dude!!!!
Your math is funky. You can't have a C6.5 if there wasn't a C6. If there was a C5 and a C5.5, then how can there be an evolution of something that didn't exist? Perhaps you mean that the C7 is actually a C5.9?

I dunno... But I can tell you one thing for certain: You're right that the C7 is NOT an evolution. It's a REVOLUTION. It's a completely different car inside and out. Rebuilt from the ground up. New look. New interior. New engine. New electronics... NEW.

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
This is just too funny!

Let's recap your statements. C6 is C5.5 ok? C7 is C6.5. That means from C6 to C7 we jump from C5.5 to C6.5, so a whole new generation! Brilliant, you agreed with me!

I would never consider buying a 370Z so yes, to me the Viper would be next choice, or maybe the base 911. RS5 would be nice too but no manual on that one. I suppose the V8 M3 is still for sale and that's cheaper the the other options but the new turbo M3 I could not care less about. The 370/350z cars are not even track-ready cars. Mid summer in California those things overheat and cook their brakes pronto. So no, it's not a comparable car. The Nissan Z cars are street only unless modified fairly extensively in the aftermarket.

You GFTO, whatever that means...GirlFriend watch your TOne?
LOL! You beat me to it.

Originally Posted by Silver05GTO
Oh look, a C6 Z06 driver......what a shock to hear you put down the C7......

No need to put down the C7, the C6Z is a heck of a sports car, I owned one for 3 years so I know. But I really missed the Targa top my C6 coupe had, and frankly unless your tracking a C6Z, all its merits are being wasted away for a few romps on the gas on the street.......it was fun knowing I owned a C6Z, but it wore off over time.

The C7 looks amazing, even better then a widebody C6, along with a targa and all the advancements......its gonna be great.
Yeah... Don't put too much energy into Gatti-man. He may be all over the forums, but he certainly trolls the C7 section, and it's quite obvious it's out of spite.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:43 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
In my area, a lot of owners of used Corvettes are in their 50-60's. A kid making 12 bucks an hour isn't even buying a used C4. One thing I've noticed with my neighbor's teenagers. They perfer a 4 door 5 passenger sedan as they can carry their friends around. In fact my next door neighbor's 17 year old drives a old Civic station wagon that I sold to her 10 years ago, The kid(male) could care less about the car, it's all about being with his friends, and two seater cars don't carry many friends.
Your right...most of the younger driving public cares more about being in a vehicle with 4 or more friends than the driving excitement of a sports car.

Not all of course but many.

I'm not sure yet I think it might be the hopeless economics that exists these days but many even with the funds want 4 doors 5 passenger cars than 2 seaters.

When I was a teenager back in the 70s, two seaters were the preferred choice.

I enjoy my c6 z51 m6 yet I really dig the c7. It's awesome. Best standard corvette yet and the marketing move to remove the label base with stingray is ingenous...

Nobody wants to spend his coin and have what is called the "base" model...not for the over 50 grand minimum price that can go upwards of 70 g s

Last edited by JerriVette; 01-19-2013 at 06:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver: Tested : 2013 Detroit Auto Show Editor's Roundtable