Sponsored by:

GM aims new Corvette beyond successful plumbers

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 11:46 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 606 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by texvette2
Its the Obama generation. That is there new target market.
Not just vette allot of other stuff will change too
Dont bring politics here.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:54 PM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Designers and engineers sculpted the new car in ways to improve aerodynamics, reducing lift for greater high-speed stability, GM said in a November press release.
They should stick to this because

"... current communication and product hasn't really spoken to them [Gen Y] the way that GM would hope that they would," he said. "It's very important."
is so true.

There isn't anything in the GM line that sparks interest outside of the vette.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:56 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,108 Likes on 522 Posts

Lets be realistic. Most of us have been to a Porsche or BMW dealer. Now try as they might the Corvette is still a Chevy. Here locally it will be sold by the dealer in the 1960's facility by a guy that has been selling cars for 3 weeks and as my salesman told me " only one guy here knows anything about Vettes and he aint here ". And don't forget the service department where the guy who just finished working on a Malibu is now going to try his hand at your " exotic " Corvette.

I just don't see the beautiful people flocking to the Chevy dealer to pick up their newest fad to be seen in.

Maybe if Corvette was broken out as a brand but right now that is not happening.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:56 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,145 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
I could give a rats a$$ what a movie star drives and would go out of my way not to be associated with the Hollywood crowd in anyway shape or form. If that's the future of Corvette, god help us.

I own and drive the cars I like......and I don't give a flying ***** what anybody else thinks about my choices. If worrying about that is part of your decision making process, then you've got way bigger problems than deciding what car to buy.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:07 AM
tentorium
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Just Cruise
You know what it really is. Is the fast n the furious movies that is killing the sales. Every young guy wants a rice rocket because of the show. They need to make a show with muscle cars really that's the truth.
I always notice Corvettes in movies. The latest to feature a corvette is "The Last Stand" starring Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:23 AM
BuckyThreadkiller
Successful Plumber
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
CF NCM Ambassador
CI 6-7-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10
NCM Member '09

Originally Posted by z06inVB
Lets be realistic. Most of us have been to a Porsche or BMW dealer. Now try as they might the Corvette is still a Chevy. Here locally it will be sold by the dealer in the 1960's facility by a guy that has been selling cars for 3 weeks and as my salesman told me " only one guy here knows anything about Vettes and he aint here ". And don't forget the service department where the guy who just finished working on a Malibu is now going to try his hand at your " exotic " Corvette.

I just don't see the beautiful people flocking to the Chevy dealer to pick up their newest fad to be seen in.

Maybe if Corvette was broken out as a brand but right now that is not happening.
I had a BMW. I really liked the lattes in the waiting room. I appreciated that the service advisor wore a nicer tie than I did. I liked the fact that they had a concierge who would take me to the office and come pick me up in a new 7 series while they repaired my car.

I didn't like the fact that I was in there every other month because the car was a temperamental piece of junk.

My Chevy dealer has a clean waiting room. The coffee is terrible and the service advisor wears Dickies. Car's been in there twice in 5 years. Once because of an accident and they were a State Farm Preferred shop.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:30 AM
TP98
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the article is spot on. Corvette must appeal to a younger crowd to live on. I am as sick as anyone over 40 about all the pandering to Milennials, but the base is getting older and if a new generation doesn't start buying Vettes, it's all over for our belved car. Hell, I'm 45, grew up with Vettes and bought my first one at 39, a life long dream. White/red C5. Immediately began to notice that everyone else driving them was 15 yrs older than me. Friends even started teasing me about it. Kinda bummed me out, but I loved my car. So iif they sell more C7s due to marketing to affluent 30 something's, that's cool by me.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:55 AM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
I had a BMW. I really liked the lattes in the waiting room. I appreciated that the service advisor wore a nicer tie than I did. I liked the fact that they had a concierge who would take me to the office and come pick me up in a new 7 series while they repaired my car.

I didn't like the fact that I was in there every other month because the car was a temperamental piece of junk.

My Chevy dealer has a clean waiting room. The coffee is terrible and the service advisor wears Dickies. Car's been in there twice in 5 years. Once because of an accident and they were a State Farm Preferred shop.
Awesome
Old 01-19-2013, 01:02 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,923 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Let me try to simplify it for people.

Old people will buy young people's cars.

Young people will NOT buy old people's cars.

Lower class people will buy upper class cars.

Upper class people will NOT buy lower class cars.

It's about expanding the market.

Michael

Last edited by Michael A; 01-19-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:04 AM
Tommy D
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16
St. Jude donor in memory of jpee '14

Originally Posted by RAGS747
sorry if repost

DETROIT (Bloomberg) -- The Chevrolet Corvette, once the coolest of cool rides on Route 66 and the rest of America's roads, has suffered the cruelest of fates: It's known as an old man's toy.

Even the head of Chevy marketing acknowledges that too many people see it as the car of "the successful plumber."

General Motors is determined to change that.

"I want this image on every kid's wall," he said in advance of the Jan. 13 unveiling of the new car on the eve of the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

The challenge for GM's Chevrolet brand is to draw on the strength of Corvette's 60-year heritage as a dream-inspiring racer while overcoming its recent baggage as an afterthought to Volkswagen AG's Audi and Porsche.

GM is betting new styling, improved interiors and marketing efforts, including aiming the car straight at young people through placement in video games, will help.

While enthusiasm is strong among some Baby Boomers who remember the car from their youth, Welburn said that somewhere along the way Corvette posters fell off the bedroom walls of young people.

He remembered a visit of a friend's son to his garage and seeing his excitement for the Chevy Camaro while ignoring an old Corvette.

"The challenge is that it is thought of as an older person's car," said Jessica Caldwell, an industry analyst with Edmunds.com.

The 1953 Corvette.
About 46 percent of Corvette buyers last year through October were 55 years or older compared with 22 percent of Audi R8 and 30 percent of Porsche 911 customers, according to Edmunds.

Clouded market

"As time has gone on, the market has become much more clouded; the Corvette doesn't stand out as much anymore as it used to," said Jerry Burton, who has written books on the car.

The importance of those cars goes beyond sales figures. The cool factor for the 911 and the R8 helps lift the image of the entire Porsche and Audi lines, while Corvette has lost that aura.

Neglected brand

"We haven't been managing the perception of the brand," Chris Perry, head of Chevrolet marketing in the U.S., said of the 'Vette.

"To hit our sales target, we don't really need to advertise Corvette," Perry said. "There are a lot of people waiting to buy a Corvette, but to help change the perception of Corvette and help change the perception of Chevrolet, we'll definitely be putting some marketing behind it."

On the Internet, Corvette gets lapped by exotic sports car brands.

Corvette's Facebook page had 1 million "likes" on Jan. 10 while Chevrolet as a brand had 1.7 million. Ferrari had 10 million, Porsche had 4.9 million and Audi had 6.2 million.

A separate Facebook page for Audi's R8 has 1.48 million "likes."
Other parts of cyberspace are more harsh.

Google's autofill asks "Is a Corvette an old man's car?" and returns with 2.36 million search results.

When a group of fourth-grade boys at Neinas Elementary School in Detroit talked about cars last month, they wanted to know about the Chevrolet Camaro and exotic brands, such as VW's Bugatti, that they're familiar with from video games.

Only one child mentioned an interest in the Corvette, and he got teased.

"Because of the heritage of Corvette is a little bit more of a Midwest sports car, the successful plumber," Perry said. "That's one of the things we're going to change, especially on the coasts."

In trend-setting cities such as Los Angeles and Miami, he wants the new Corvette to attract attention from buyers in their 30s and 40s making around $150,000 annually, while still appealing to loyalists.

Part of GM's plan to make the car more aspirational to younger people includes promoting the Corvette in video games, Perry said.

"It's amazing how these young people influence that older group," John Fitzpatrick, Corvette's marketing manager, said in an interview. "It's the old saying, 'Nobody wants to be seen driving an old man's car, but everybody wants to be seen driving a young man's car."'

Corvette's legacy may help it with young people who recognize it as a status car and the redesign should help bump consideration for other Chevrolet models, said Alexander Edwards, president of Strategic Vision's auto division.

"The Corvette is keeping Chevrolet relevant in the minds of Gen Y, even if current communication and product hasn't really spoken to them the way that GM would hope that they would," he said. "It's very important." .
Since when is being a successful Plumber a bad thing

Sounds like pre bankruptcy GM management excuses. Who do you think brought the Corvette to the younger generation, current Corvette owners (young & old, blue and & white collar alike). Our son purchased his 07 as a direct result of our having a 05 Corvette. We take our Corvette in its “Halloween costume” to “Trunk or Treat” to the elementary school where my wife teaches to distribute candy and take pictures for anyone who wants to sit behind the wheel with my racing helmet…..& etc.

We did not pull the “It’s a boys dream” TV commercial for the C6 launch. Did we choose to advertise every other Chevy model but the Corvette, and did we decide that Corvette needed a presence in Europe. NO, so why complain about your current loyal customers, even if they are a bit older and do manual labor. They purchase your product and keep you employed and that means you Mr. GM Executives.

GM management is looking for a scrape goat for their failed marketing program. Complaining that the current Corvette owners are too old, or blue-collar workers, RIGHT where would Corvette be if the old guys and non-professionals did not purchase the car. We all grew up lusting for a Corvette and when we could afford one we bought it. What makes GM think that the younger hip individuals on both coasts will give up their fancy foreign cars for a Corvette.

Is it the consumers’fault that GM as well as the rest of the American auto companies screwed up big time under estimating the foreign competition. Detroit auto executives “knew” what us consumers wanted regardless; allowing the foreign car companies to gain the majority of the US auto market over a number of years by building what they wanted.

GMs market share went from 19.6 % in 2011 to 17.9% in 2012(WSJ). Looks like business as usual, not to worry the taxpayers will bail out GM because it is too big to fail even if it fails once again through poor management decisions.

If GM design chief Ed Welburn wants to improve the image of Corvette he needs to understand that besides a great marketing program he needs loyal current Corvette owners to “ talk up the model” comments about those who purchase the product in a negative sense really tend to **** us off.

Yup, I am a retired accountant baby boomer, who can afford to purchase a Corvette and is looking at purchasing another. When I read about, what apparently is a continuation of the GM financial disasters of the past I wonder if GM really deserves my business.

While we love our C6 we could easily change our plans from “See the USA in A C7 Corvette’ to “See the USA in A Audi, BMW, MB, Porsche or Infiniti”.

Last edited by Tommy D; 01-19-2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:26 AM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If GM wants to appeal to guys like me (the upper 20s to 40s age group), what they need to do is actually make a good fast and fun car below 35,000 again.

That also has a Trunk worth mentioning.

I love my C4. Someday in the next five or six years I might buy a C7. More than likely somewhere between then and now I'll buy a C5. But ultimately those cars, are what I love tinkering with. And they are capable daily drivers, providing you aren't doing some serious cargo hauling, but they just aren't quite utilitarian enough (nor should they be).

It's not a car you can easily live with.

A Gen 4 bird on the other hand? Guys my age are catching on to what the older guys didn't. It's stupid fast, it handles great, has solid brakes, gets good mpgs, and has a trunk. And most importantly, (for now.. the price just seems to keep going up for one around here) it's affordable vs buying the new Fatmaro, or a Rustang.

The vette is something we aspire to. But you've got to have a car that gives people a ''little taste'' of the experience in your line up.

And the Fatmaro isn't in that category. Like at all. Most of the people I know with Fatmaros are old farts, trying to relive their glory days in the 60s, or relive glory days they themselves were not born yet for. We don't want some semi retro 3800 pound pig. It's why we didn't buy the GTO and still haven't. Outside of middle age guys trying to be hip and ''edgy'' the only other people around here that like the Fatmaro are 10 year old kids... who saw Bumblebee in Transformers. We want a 3200-3400 lb pony car. With a trunk (which the Fatmaro doesn't have), killer modern styling (again the Fatmaro doesn't have), and great handling (which the Fatmaro still again doesn't have because it weighs almost a full 2 tons). And then when we can afford one later... we want the vette.

The monte carlo is dead. The solstice, Sky, and cobalt ss are dead. What killed each of these cars was a horrible interior design, and a complete Failure on the marketing side. Instead of promoting these cars what did GM do during their existence? Hype up the Malibu, and Impala... Two cars that are so woefully behind in market share vs even Ford that someone should be shot in the head, execution style for continuing to even attempt to build them anymore, and the pickup trucks.

It took someone that was beyond ''casually into cars'' to even know what those cars had in terms of even existing, let alone what kind of hot rod potential they had. That's how bad their marketing is.

The Camaro in my and alot of other guys my age around here opinion, is still dead. The only cool car GM makes at this point is the Vette. Which most of us in my age group can't afford until later in life.

If GM really wants to appeal to the ''younger crowd'', they need to actually make cars other than the Corvette to appeal to us. (a nice side bonus would be to stop making the interiors some tupperware nightmare too. My Gen 3 Z28 has a better interior than -anything- in Gm's current line up. Do you know how sad that really is? The only thing with a better interior, debatable is the coming C7) That's another reason why GM loses ''us'' to BMW, Audi and even Porsche. Because each of those companies understands, while the pinup car is nice. You've got to actually make something that the ''young people'' can afford, and enjoy so they will actually buy again in the future knowing that the car they are going to upgrade to is at least as good as what they have already owned and then some. Knowing a Vette is more badass than that Impala you bought on a spec sheet, is a whole world different vs actually having had a performance vehicle you could whet your teeth on. The Impala is an appliance. Chevy is trying to sell a pinup car, while offering nothing but rolling dishwashers. I mean seriously, if you weren't a car guy, other than looks. And you drove a BMW, and then drove an Impala... Are you even going to consider driving a vette later in life no matter how much sexier it is? No. Because that Impala doesn't engage you in the experience at all. It's an Appliance, not a proper car. Because BMW gave you a teaser of what Performance was, while Chevy... the only chevy you can drive or afford is an Appliance. Sure it gets good mpgs... it has 4 doors. Maybe it even has brakes. But it's utterly boring to look at and drive. And imagine that being your entire impression of driving a chevrolet. Suddenly that Vette looks alot less sexy knowing that the same idiots that build the Impala, are trying to sell you a ''sports car'' right?

You have to have something in the performance department so guys and gals that aren't just out to buy an Appliance can actually afford, drive appreciate and live with and then go. "okay yeah... that pinup car is alot sexier now that I know the difference between a Camry and a Real Car is" That's how BMW, Porsche and Audi really make their bread and butter. They suck you in young with something ''affordable'' in the performance dept, and then later you want another one... but you want the better one when you can afford it.

The Vette ain't chevy's problem. Vettes sell themselves to a certain extent. Providing that they even just casually license them out to movies to make appearances in films, and their racing pedigree is known.

Last edited by Aaron Keating; 01-19-2013 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:32 AM
Reciprocal
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Agree with Tommy D above.

I don't see what there is in this car that stops the older gray haired gents from buying this model. When you look back at what happened, Ed Wellburn says they are targeting a younger audience. That generates excitement that now finally, the car they've always wanted is finally being made just for them. So the speculation goes, smaller, lighter, narrower, twin turbocharged, dual clutch automatics, awd, mid engined. The old guys are horrified. In the end the car is introduced with none of that. It's about the same price as before, same old pushrod v8 small block, same old slushbox automatic, not smaller, not lighter, same old Bose. Bold new styling. Basically, that's it. Same thing they've always done. The old guys should be delighted. It sounds like most of them are! But it's that younger audience that got served the kool aid. They plunge in for all that repackaged, rebranded marketing. A couple years into it, then onto the next big thing which could include a family car. The sales start to dwindle, who does the next Ed Wellburn turn to? They go right back to the core, aim for the guys they've always counted on, the reliable middle age and up buyer who wants horsepower, performance and badazz wicked flared fenders and tires. Who was the audience for last years "America still builds rockets" campaign?

The juveniles here just got punch drunk thinking this car is for them. How will they feel when they see the graybeards and gold chains snapping up the early allocations? Ain't your car dweebs!
Old 01-19-2013, 01:39 AM
Just Cruise
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm telling ya its the fast n the furious bullsh-t. People want what they see in the movies.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:46 AM
KyleDallas
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the Reuters story is tub of horse sh*&. ..

Nobody ever liked Jan Brady because she was always the one who was uncomfortable with herself. Blaming Marsha .. coming up with grand ideas to explain her problems.. it was irritating. It's not any less irritating when GM engages in it.

You're not selling cars and you need to.. that's the problem Jan.

1st of all... be proud of who you are and what you are and don't waste time chasing someone else's title or identity. Don't try to be Porsche, Ferrari or any other nameplate.

Corvettes should look great.. their performance should be outstanding. They should be reliable and easier/less expensive to work on than other exotics. That is the Corvette's advantage.. not it's liability.

Corvettes SHOULD be the affordable/reliable exotic that you don't feel anxious about taking to the racetrack. There should be enough power under the hood to make you snicker at those who've paid WAY more than you for their car as they eat your dust.

A Corvette needs a SUPERB body, SUPERB styling .. and it should be inspiring. (they haven't done that with the C7.. if they had Corvette enthusiast of all generations would be coo-ing over it..rather than complaining about it)

Class sells.
Sexy sells.
Power sells.

When I see a 67 Big Block with a stinger hood.. I see all 3 of those components in droves. I see something inspiring with class and power just oozing out of it's pores. Auction prices for 67 BBs is stratospheric.

Did GM hit those marks with the C3 ? What does a middle of the road Small block C3 bring at auction vs the same config'd C1/C2?.... that lets you know their efforts weren't as successful as Gens 1 and 2.

If your back is against the wall and you really need sales.. you've got to come with your Uber Effort all the way accross the board. You need to be trying to hit all the bases like you did with the 67 Big Block. ...Class,styling, sexiness, power.. thick as gamma globulin. That's how you appeal to all ages .. not by chasing "plumber image" butterflys.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:24 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
So being blue collar and older are bad images.... What a bunch of arrogant a$$holes in this thread.
Actually, I prefer the shirts that have interchangeable collars ..............
Old 01-19-2013, 07:29 AM
Thud
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronDoud
I'm 34 and on my 3rd Vette and never had anyone my age or younger say I have an "old man's" car. Most people have been impressed by my cars.

Maybe it is different on the coasts but here people respect Vettes.
You're in the heartland of successful plumber country.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:35 AM
vettelover69
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What is all this yapping about younger buyers???

It's a $60,000 toy. And while some younger people can afford it most are just trying to find a job and start paying off those student college loans.

I really can't see young newlyweds with a kid on the way knocking down the doors of Chevy dealer trying to buy a C7 or any other vette for that matter.

Get notified of new replies

To GM aims new Corvette beyond successful plumbers

Old 01-19-2013, 07:39 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller
Plumbers, Plumbers, everywhere! GM Tent Corvettes at Carlisle 2012

Old 01-19-2013, 07:49 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I totally understand but for me the attraction to corvettes did not come with advancing years, It came with finally being financially able to make the dream come true. Will an old fart look out place in a C7? So be it!
Old 01-19-2013, 07:55 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by vettelover69
What is all this yapping about younger buyers???

It's a $60,000 toy. And while some younger people can afford it most are just trying to find a job and start paying off those student college loans.

I really can't see young newlyweds with a kid on the way knocking down the doors of Chevy dealer trying to buy a C7 or any other vette for that matter.
I don't consider it a toy. It's a serious piece of machinery. Mine is my daily driver and long distance touring car. Guess that's why it has just shy of 45,000 miles on it in the less than 18 months since I took it off the dealers showroom floor.

Quick Reply: GM aims new Corvette beyond successful plumbers