Sponsored by:

Differential

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 06:13 PM
jimc62k7
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Differential

I'm not a mechanic but I thought a mechanial limited slip diff (base c7?) was better than an electronic limited slip diff (c7 z51?)

The Lexus IS-F went from an e-diff to non e-diff and handling/lap times improved.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 01-19-2013, 06:21 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

It depends on the "e" in e-diff. BMW has a "limited slip" diff that is electronically controlled. That is, until you learn that the way it works is by the brake system applying the brake on the unloaded wheel. IOW, when you're trying to put power to the rear wheels, the brake system is counteracting that on the inboard wheel (assuming that's the one that's unloaded). In this case the mechanical LSD will be superior to the BMW's e-LSD.

OTOH, from what I've read, the C7's e-LSD is a mechanical LSD that has electronically controlled hydraulic clutch packs. If this is correct then it should be better than a traditional clutch pack, if only because of the dynamic aspect of the diff.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 01-19-2013, 06:23 PM
Bucknut2006
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jimc62k7
I'm not a mechanic but I thought a mechanial limited slip diff (base c7?) was better than an electronic limited slip diff (c7 z51?)

The Lexus IS-F went from an e-diff to non e-diff and handling/lap times improved.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
The McLaren MP4-12C has an e-diff I believe as well as other high end performance cars. One properly implemented should be superior since it can be directly tied into the body control module. The system no longer has to guess what the diff will be doing.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:59 PM
ivanjo11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Electronic differential should allow the C7 to better put the power to the ground exiting corners.

Ferrari 458 has it and they said it shaves a few seconds at Fiorano, 911 also has it.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:22 PM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ivanjo11
The Electronic differential should allow the C7 to better put the power to the ground exiting corners.

Ferrari 458 has it and they said it shaves a few seconds at Fiorano, 911 also has it.
If it is f1 quality, literally, then it sucks bad because it will improve a few hundredths per lap for a great driver, (help alot for idiots) take up added weight, and then fail right after the warranty. If it is less than f1 quality tech, then it will slow down a great driver substantially and **** them off infinitely, help crappy drivers a little, add weight and fail right after the warranty.

This is the grossest kind of negligent overreach by electrical engineers and insurance people, against the interests of real men, mech engineers, people who plan to keep the car a while, and drivers who have pride.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:39 PM
DREAMERAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14, '16

Originally Posted by ivanjo11

it's one of the things that allows the 3850lbs GTR (not a fan) to turn the times it does.
Old 01-19-2013, 10:17 PM
_zebra
Le Mans Master

Received 809 Likes on 533 Posts

what about a fully-mechanical style without clutch packs to wear out?
the TrueTrac from Eaton has been widely successful at working well and having great street manners

how it works:

Get notified of new replies

To Differential

Quick Reply: Differential