Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potental C7 local dealer issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 07:44 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree, I will pay a little more to use the local dealer. But if they wont I will buy elsewhere. I do feel better in bring the car in for service if I bought it there... After several Corvettes they pretty much know me and the fact that I wont put up with any BS. I am pretty happy with the dealer I have used for the last several years. They are not the biggest Corvette dealer in the area but they know what they are doing. ...
Old 02-03-2013, 09:39 PM
TacDoc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Echo business is business. I too have a local dealer that will get at least one C7 allocation. As retired Army I am a USAA member and use AutoCircle. This service alone saved me $12,000.00 on my 2013 Anniversary ZR1. I went out of town though to get it. Everytime I go car shopping I give the local dealer a shot. I visited them last week and told them to let me know if they don't use their allocation and would be willing to let me have it for $500 over invoice. If they use it for a full price sell they win. If they don't use it and they give it to me I get a great deal and they sell a car. Business.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:55 PM
lt1george
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ANTIVNOM
Business is business. I want to do business with my local Chevy dealer as well, but if someone on the forums offers a significantly better price, I have no issue taking the money elsewhere.

If your wifes family owned the Chevrolet dealer that be something, but take your business where you can save the most. In the automobile business 4 singles are as good as a home run. You local dealer doesn't see it that way. He wants the home run with your deal. Good Luck.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:43 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

Why not let the guy have a chance to match your best price within 500 bucks or so. If he fails give him the option of taking the car you ordered from the other dealer drop ship. So he makes a few hundred on the prep and he keeps a happy service customer.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:19 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Silverblue
I paid about $3,000 less for my C6 from an out of town Chevy store then this local dealer would have charged..
how many corvettes did he sell last year, total new ones? if it's too few, he won't have much coming in at all. think about it: why are the big number Corvette selling dealers, the way they are? they sell cars, specifically Corvettes. if the factory does what it usually does, it will carefully ramp up production. the big selling Corvette dealers have, well, guess what? the most customers ready, willing and able to buy.

my suggestion to you is to think this thru depending on not only how much MORE you are willing to pay, but when you will actually get a car. if not, as some would say, whatever!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:43 AM
carjo
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I have been buying cars from a local dealer for over 25 years, including my first vette, a new '03. When shopping for my current vette ('08), I spoke with the owner of the dealership and told him I wanted to buy from him, but price would be a consideration and asked if he could match the price from the major Corvette dealer in our state. His response was that he couldn't match the lower price but he would be happy to provide routine service and warranty work as/if needed.

Perhaps you could lead a similar conversation with your local dealer. If he can't or won't match a lower sales price yet would welcome your service business, you might satisfy both him and your family members. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:17 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

So here is my problem,

There is a Chevy dealership in my small town that has been here since the 40s. Most everyone in town buys from this dealership. The owner is a really nice guy with an excellent reputation. When I took my 2012 C6 in for servicing, he acted real hurt I didn't buy from him (the deal I got in a nearby major city was significantly better then the deal I knew I could get it from any of his salesmen)

I will be buying a C7 sooner or later and my honestly, my first thought is to buy it from this small local dealer, but once again, I am sure one of the really well established forum dealers will give me a significantly lower price. I did tell the local guy I would give him the chance to meet or beat a forum price and in response he mumbled something unintelligable, but the non verbals I observe were classic, "I don't think I will do that"

I am between a rock and a hard place here. My wife's whole family lives in this little town and they all have been buying chevys from this guy for decades.

I would rather not be ex-communicated from the family..

Any ideas?
Does the local dealer feed or take care of your family? If not i dont see why you would owe him anything. Seems like common sense would make that clear. Thats just business. Do what makes you happy. Its your money. I would think he should be the one to earn your business. Not make you feel guilty.

Last edited by jr3; 02-04-2013 at 02:28 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:21 PM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

So here is my problem,

There is a Chevy dealership in my small town that has been here since the 40s. Most everyone in town buys from this dealership. The owner is a really nice guy with an excellent reputation. When I took my 2012 C6 in for servicing, he acted real hurt I didn't buy from him (the deal I got in a nearby major city was significantly better then the deal I knew I could get it from any of his salesmen)

I will be buying a C7 sooner or later and my honestly, my first thought is to buy it from this small local dealer, but once again, I am sure one of the really well established forum dealers will give me a significantly lower price. I did tell the local guy I would give him the chance to meet or beat a forum price and in response he mumbled something unintelligable, but the non verbals I observe were classic, "I don't think I will do that"

I am between a rock and a hard place here. My wife's whole family lives in this little town and they all have been buying chevys from this guy for decades.

I would rather not be ex-communicated from the family..

Any ideas?

He already indicated that he isnt willing to meet your price expectations....Why even waste your time talking to him again?

When you're ready ,get the best deal possible from a forum dealer and call it a day.

If the local guy gets pissy, tell him he wasnt receptive when you talked to him last time... so you went elsewhere.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

:
Originally Posted by jr3
Does the local dealer feed or take care of your family? If not i dont see why you would owe him anything. Seems like common sense would make that clear. Thats just business. Do what makes you happy. Its your money. I would think he should be the one to earn your business. Not make you feel guilty.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:24 PM
snide
Team Owner

Received 172 Likes on 74 Posts
CI 4-5-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

MSRP should be the same no matter where the stealership is located. Options are additional, of course... Buy from the local store.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:33 AM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by jr3
In 1996 I contacted the local Ford dealership about ordering a F350 they wouldn't deal on price so I found another fleet dealer had it built with a courtesy delivery to my local dealer. Did that again a couple years later. After the second time the fleet manager said I should come to him next time - I did and he was competitive.
You should first try the local dealer but if they don't want to be competitive they have No right to expect you to buy from them. Now if they were within perhaps $500 I would say buy local. Otherwise get the best deal possible.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:10 AM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jr3

it's business, not personal....
and does this dealer pay more ''from the factory" for a C7 than the big volume dealers? If not then his argument carries no weight.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:22 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,578 Likes on 1,646 Posts

I read somewhere that the bigger dealers that move more cars can get some special incentives the smaller dealers don't get. Or is that just rumour?
Old 02-05-2013, 04:33 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

I read somewhere that the bigger dealers that move more cars can get some special incentives the smaller dealers don't get. Or is that just rumour?
"They can't put anything on the internet that isn't true".............
Old 02-05-2013, 05:03 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by falco84
+1. Isn't it something like 1 C7 for every 3 or 4 C6s that were sold in 2012?

If the dealer isn't interested in meeting/beating the price after all the cars your extended family has bought from him then tell him to get lost. Why should you have any loyalty to him when you get nothing?
guess that means they are going to sell 3-4,000?

I doubt that.

3 grand is a chuck of change.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:08 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

GM may take care of your problem for you. If your dealer didn't hit the sales marks for 2013 Corvettes, they won't be getting any 2014 Corvettes to sell.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:25 PM
racerguyz28
Racer

Wow am I lucky I live 30 min from kerbeck Chevy I'm sure they might have a couple

Get notified of new replies

To Potental C7 local dealer issue

Old 02-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Bill17601
AIR FORCE VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 439 Likes on 196 Posts

The dealer needs to sell the car for what it is worth. I will tell you this The first C7's will bring more then list at dealer only car auctions. If I am a dealer and I get one car and three people want it I would sell it like you sell a house. The MSRP is not law only suggested. Price is determined by the market.

We know that there are dealers on the forum that will treat you right. I have a deposit with one.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:41 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

If he can not meet your best deal tell him that your decision is not personal but just business!

Sometimes these guys think that you owe them your business.

Maybe for a $500 but not 3 thousand.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:15 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
"Hey Bill, here is the quote I got from the big stealership, are you going to match it? The ball is in your court. I WANT to give you my business......call me."
Exactly this. Your phone will probably ring in a couple days. If not, get one from the other dealer. It's a business, trust me, this guy is not staying awake at night wondering why you didn't buy the Corvette from him. So you certainly shouldn't be losing sleep feeling guilty because you didn't.

Quick Reply: Potental C7 local dealer issue