Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 vs Gen 5 Viper

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 603 Likes on 223 Posts

Before the C7 debuted, I thought the Viper was a great looking car, and I still do, but the C7 makes it look old and dated already. I like both, but the C7 has my vote as the better design.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:33 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
@ BFW07, he said "if viper was comparable to the Vette", IF being the key word.
Sorry Big Dan, I sure did miss the IF makes a big difference.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Indy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being a Corvette forum, of course most are going to say C7 I really like the C7 as well (a huge step up from the base C6), but the viper is certainly in a different league, performance and looks wise. Wider, lower and over the top styling - the WOW factor most people have for the Viper when they see one speaks for itself. They purposefully made it similar to the Gen2, since this was the most striking and extreme design and they wanted those aggressive features in the GenV, just in a modern package.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:45 PM
larryfdx
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
Definitely C7, no question about it. Much more progressive and modern.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:57 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@ BWF07, I just didn't want you to miss it, no biggie! I think we should start a thread where we all sign after post so we can get to know each other by name if your name isn't in your user ID. What do you think?
Old 02-06-2013, 06:02 PM
TonyCool
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks alone... mmm I'll need to see both in person. Considering costs I'd lean towards the c7 although I'd take a used gen4 viper over a new C7 any day. Exclusivity, more power, better looks IMO, about the same price and much better resale value.

Last edited by TonyCool; 02-06-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:05 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

The interior of the Viper looks better than the interior of the C7

As to exterior - I'd have to see them in the flesh, and haven't yet.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:24 PM
Aozora
Burning Brakes

Received 865 Likes on 365 Posts

Here's to hoping the z06 variant is on par or outperforms the gen 5, and the Zr1 variant puts the final nail in the coffin, metaphorically speaking. I'd not want to see the Viper go away because its a win/win competition for us.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:27 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
The interior of the Viper looks better than the interior of the C7

As to exterior - I'd have to see them in the flesh, and haven't yet.
So far every review I have seen says the new Viper seats look good but SUCK to sit in...way too hard. I've heard rumors they are already reworking them.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:34 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Saw both the C7 and the Viper at the Detroit Auto Show. The Viper will appeal to some; the C7 will appeal to many more. The C7 will be part of my future.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:42 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

The downfall of the C7 in the looks department will certainly be because there'll be much more C7s running around than the Gen V Viper. The C7 looks is striking, but in time, it'll be just another Corvette. Nothing wrong with that in my book, as I much prefer the Vette, but its "newness" will wear off soon.
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by BlueOx
So far every review I have seen says the new Viper seats look good but SUCK to sit in...way too hard. I've heard rumors they are already reworking them.
I remember reading the the new competition seats are not really suited for a daily driver but more for track cars, but I bet there will be a lot of people order the car with the seats not knowing and as you and most of us know, one most the the salesman won't know that so they can not advise the customer and those that do, will play dumb because of the added cost onto the sticker price. I guess there will be a few that advice the customer, but I think it will be a small number.
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

The vipers used in all the rag tests were pre-production cars, the production seats are already being put into the new vipers being made, there was no reworking.

However SRT has announced the the car will be refreshed in 2015.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:45 PM
Showdown
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
C7 all the way. Had a chance to see the Viper in person and for the first time, I was not impressed.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:49 PM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
Being a Corvette forum, of course most are going to say C7 I really like the C7 as well (a huge step up from the base C6), but the viper is certainly in a different league, performance and looks wise. Wider, lower and over the top styling - the WOW factor most people have for the Viper when they see one speaks for itself. They purposefully made it similar to the Gen2, since this was the most striking and extreme design and they wanted those aggressive features in the GenV, just in a modern package.

What??? Purpose built or different league? Please explain to me how the brand new Viper was beat on the track by the outgoing C6 ZR1 (with a several year old cassis design). I assume you didn't miss that article...

I'd bet the upcoming performance equivalent C7's will beat it too with even more ease. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the C7 Z51 model couldn't give the new Viper a run for it's money on the track too. Sure the Viper is more powerful but I think GM put's a little more effort and engineering into handling as well as being able to utilize all the power to the best of the cars ability.

It was also stated that the Dodge indicated Viper will likely be updated (again) in the next year or two because of that. Of course I suspect that may be speculation but if in fact it's true, I am sure Viper owners will be real happy to know their brand new car is already going to be behind the eight ball due to another redesign or update.

Both cars are nice but I think they appeal to different people and certainly different budgets. That said, the Corvette certainly offers much more bang for the buck!

Last thing.. Any of the high performance Corvettes make excellent reliable and economical daily drivers. Can the same be said about the Viper? Probably not. That said, I would own a Viper but not as a daily driver where on the other hand, I wouldn't think twice about owning any current or future Corvette and driving the **** out of it every day. Except of course rainy days because I heard they melt.

Last edited by slief; 02-06-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:51 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by BWF07
I remember reading the the new competition seats are not really suited for a daily driver but more for track cars, but I bet there will be a lot of people order the car with the seats not knowing and as you and most of us know, one most the the salesman won't know that so they can not advise the customer and those that do, will play dumb because of the added cost onto the sticker price. I guess there will be a few that advice the customer, but I think it will be a small number.
I watched the Randy Probst test drive (ZR1 vs Viper GTS) video and he even complained a little about them. He wasn't it it that long and he is a race car driver who was on a race track!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:57 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I watched the Randy Probst test drive (ZR1 vs Viper GTS) video and he even complained a little about them. He wasn't it it that long and he is a race car driver who was on a race track!
I did not read that, what seats was he referring too?

Get notified of new replies

To C7 vs Gen 5 Viper

Old 02-06-2013, 07:04 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by BWF07
I did not read that, what seats was he referring too?
Whatever seats were in the GTS he tested. He mentions that the seats are less comfortable at approx. the 11:30 mark.
The first guy mentions it also.

Last edited by BlueOx; 02-06-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:24 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Viper is just the same old same old. The design is weak in my opinion. If I was in the market for a viper I'd be buying an ACR hands down. Panel gaps on the viper are horrendous as well. I've seen three of the cars and sure, they're pre production, but that's just not the quality you see on pre-production cars unless they're early mules. I think it says a lot about the car in general.

The Viper is going to do an update in 2015, of course, because it got its *** spanked and the reviews thus far are mediocre at best.

C7 owns the car. Viper can do their little track day, stripped up, low production move, but the Corvette is a all around better car...always has been, always will be.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:24 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Whatever seats were in the GTS he tested. He mentions that the seats are less comfortable at approx. the 11:30 mark.
The first guy mentions it also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExgJxgNSWtk
OK you are talking about the Viper seats, I was referring to the new competition seat option for the C7.

Quick Reply: C7 vs Gen 5 Viper