C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette- GM says Stingray/ you say (BASE)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 02:28 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 2K1 Dream
I think the problem that I see on this sight everyday is the wanting of more than what it really is. I'm in the Air Force currently stationed in Italy. I worked hard to get my 2001, hence my screen name and I was blessed to be able to upgrade to a 2006. With that being said, I love Corvettes and I feel that GM wanted to present a Corvette to it's fanbase that we would be proud of. A Corvette that Motortrend couldn't thrash about bad seats. A car that people complained about alot of plastic on the interior and so on. With that being said, why would we call a STINGRAY Corvette the base car? There is currently no other Corvette model offered! I'm only 35 but when I hear the name Stingray or anyone else who knows that a car has four wheels hear that name it garners respect. I think that is what GM at least expected from its present/past customers! I'm thankful for the new Stingray and I'm over here saving up for one to share the garage with my C6. Its just crazy to think that a new design and 450 Hp isn't enough. I've been on this sight for four years and I wonder how these guys complaining delt with a C6 that had less hp than a C5Z! All I'm saying is that GM built this car and felt that it was good enough to give it the name Stingray, the least we could do is call it the Stingray!
Well said.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:41 PM
AmmoVet
Melting Slicks

Received 348 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320vetteran
..just be ready when I call for CAS
You got it, 24/7, 365, world wide, we deliver!
IYAAYAS!
Old 03-21-2013, 04:06 PM
ghostRder
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 2K1 Dream
I think the problem that I see on this sight everyday is the wanting of more than what it really is. I'm in the Air Force currently stationed in Italy. I worked hard to get my 2001, hence my screen name and I was blessed to be able to upgrade to a 2006. With that being said, I love Corvettes and I feel that GM wanted to present a Corvette to it's fanbase that we would be proud of. A Corvette that Motortrend couldn't thrash about bad seats. A car that people complained about alot of plastic on the interior and so on. With that being said, why would we call a STINGRAY Corvette the base car? There is currently no other Corvette model offered! I'm only 35 but when I hear the name Stingray or anyone else who knows that a car has four wheels hear that name it garners respect. I think that is what GM at least expected from its present/past customers! I'm thankful for the new Stingray and I'm over here saving up for one to share the garage with my C6. Its just crazy to think that a new design and 450 Hp isn't enough. I've been on this sight for four years and I wonder how these guys complaining delt with a C6 that had less hp than a C5Z! All I'm saying is that GM built this car and felt that it was good enough to give it the name Stingray, the least we could do is call it the Stingray!
Thanks for your service
Old 03-21-2013, 04:35 PM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Let's be honest, the Stingray name was nothing but a marketing ploy in the old days and it is the same now. It's not a big deal to me either way but I'd just as soon they did it in script vs the logo.
I would also make one other change - put a Z51 badge on the car along with the word Stingray spelled out not a icon that looks like a sperm cell.... LOL

Last edited by ldepalma; 03-21-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:08 AM
C5 2K1 Dream
Instructor

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
I'm sure its been said already. But Stingray = Base.

What GM found out during GS introduction is people buying a Corvette also want a name attached to it because it was widebody. People called their Corvette by its special name. People with a Z06, said they had a Z06.. not a Corvette Z06. Same goes for ZR1. Same goes for GS.

So this generation they knew they would have a hard time getting people call the base car.. a base car.. especially considering their is not widebody available. Which is why they named it Stingray. To put it another way, if the C6 base car was called a Stingray.. then the 2013 Corvette line up would look like this:

Stingray
Grand Sport
Z06
ZR1

Expect the C7 lineup to eventually look like this:

Stingray
ZR1
Great clarification on that, and thats what I've been saying also. The C7 is called the Stingray, all of them. Z51 is an option its not a title like Grandsport or ZR1.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:42 AM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

If I'm too feeble to hang myself I hope somebody else does it if I ever refer to my car by an option package. People called it a Corvette the last time and I'm doubtful stingray sticks now. As long as there is an upmarket Corvette this one becomes the base by default and I'm thinking thats the name sticks. Of course even if it does stick after the go fast Corvettes come out the name stingray will just become what the V6 is to the Mustang, the one that the magazines don't test and nobody lusts after.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:34 AM
softouch
Cruising

I haven't been in this forum very long and I am not that well "educated" regarding Corvettes, but since joining I see a lot different "names" being used for different cars, a lot of acronyms, and a lot of abbreviations that make it somewhat difficult to understand what people are "talking" about.

I am trying to decide which car to get. What I think I want is:
A 2013 Chevrolet 427 Corvette convertible with the 1SC Package; or a 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray convertible with an unknown package because I don't think they have been announced yet by Chevrolet.

Are the above names correct?

Whatever! When I do get what I get I will call it "MINE". I don't care what anyone else calls it.

By-the-way, I don't like acronyms or abbreviations anywhere & try not to use them.

Regards,
softouch
Old 03-22-2013, 06:53 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Think about it, unless there is a non-Stingray C7, the name is redundant. It's just auto marketeers selling a new car, "the sizzle, not the steak."

Unless... the rumored el-cheapo stripped-down C7 is sold as the "it's just a Corvette. Everyone can see, it's not really a Corvette Stingray." Lord, I hope they don't do that.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:07 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by crabman
If I'm too feeble to hang myself I hope somebody else does it if I ever refer to my car by an option package. People called it a Corvette the last time and I'm doubtful stingray sticks now. As long as there is an upmarket Corvette this one becomes the base by default and I'm thinking thats the name sticks. Of course even if it does stick after the go fast Corvettes come out the name stingray will just become what the V6 is to the Mustang, the one that the magazines don't test and nobody lusts after.
I think that is a very good point. But another way to look at it is to ask what folks call their 1969 Corvette that said Stingray on the side (along with other years). I have friends that own them - not a single one of them has ever used the word "Stingray" when talking about their car. They just say they have a 196X or 197X "Corvette".

I personally think that their decision to call the new C7 a Stingray is a totally meaningless non-event. I could care less if they call it that. It would have actually made more sense if the Stingray name was used for a special version of it. But if all of them are called Stingray whats the point?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:07 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I think that is a very good point. But another way to look at it is to ask what folks call their 1969 Corvette that said Stingray on the side (along with other years). I have friends that own them - not a single one of them has ever used the word "Stingray" when talking about their car. They just say they have a 196X or 197X "Corvette".

I personally think that their decision to call the new C7 a Stingray is a totally meaningless non-event. I could care less if they call it that. It would have actually made more sense if the Stingray name was used for a special version of it. But if all of them are called Stingray whats the point?
Good point. I guess they feel they had to call it something. It seems that after a generation with so many variants, each having a 'code' name. They couldn't just call it a "Corvette" and leave it at that. But it really makes no sense to call it a 'base' car, as there are no other variations as of yet, only optional equipment.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:00 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,185 Posts

I guess it's the same point as when all 63 to 67 Corvettes were called Sting Rays. I think some of the confusion has arisen because of the now commonly used Cx designation. Back when the original Sting Ray was new nobody called them C2s. We did call them Sting Rays back then, however - and my '67 has said that on its' rear deck since I bought it in '71.

Now the term C7 has become a common usage, although I'm still not sure GM officially uses that designation. Thus, in common usage, 2014 Corvette C7 Stingray does become a bit ponderous. 2014 Corvette Stingray - not so much.

I think they just decided to dust off the Stingray name as they did the LT1 designation, in a marketing attempt to tie the car to the past - which is an interesting juxtaposition of goals, given their stated desire to move away from prior themes.

Last edited by tuxnharley; 03-22-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:44 AM
crabman
Safety Car

Yeah I'm in 2 corvette clubs myself and there are several folks that have them and I have yet to hear them refer to their cars as Stingrays. That would include back then as well. Despite what Tux said in a post below this one of yours I quoted I never heard anyone call them Stingray when I was a kid either. About the only thing I ever heard said beyond Corvette was a few choice numbers being added to Corvette, for example and used in a sentence, "I heard Joe Schmuckatelly got his *** handed to him by a guy in a 427 Vette last night".

Edit... I forgot to add, I agree, the name would have been better reserved for something special.

Last edited by crabman; 03-22-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I was born in 1974. My dad bought a '74 Stingray in November of 1974. We have always referred to that car as a "Stingray". . it was a regular 1974 Corvette with the auto tranny & A/C option added. But we've always called it a Stingray.

Have no doubt about it. People do call their '6X or '7X Vettes by the Stingray name.
Have no doubt about it. People are already calling the 2014 C7 by the Stingray name.

I've had several people ask me if I'm getting the new Stingray already. Corvette clubs (including Corvette forum) tend to be alot more **** about using the "correct" name of the car.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:57 AM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Yeah I'm in 2 corvette clubs myself and there are several folks that have them and I have yet to hear them refer to their cars as Stingrays. That would include back then as well. Despite what Tux said in a post below this one of yours I quoted I never heard anyone call them Stingray when I was a kid either. About the only thing I ever heard said beyond Corvette was a few choice numbers being added to Corvette, for example and used in a sentence, "I heard Joe Schmuckatelly got his *** handed to him by a guy in a 427 Vette last night".
Well, I guess nobody ever heard the Jan and Dean/Beach Boys song "Dead Mans Curve" either:

"I was cruisin in my Sting Ray late one night.............."

Or the Beach Boys "Shut Down":

"my fuel injected Sting Ray and a 413"............
"My Sting Ray is light and the slicks are startin' to spin"...
"my fuel injected Sting Rays really startin to go"........

Yeah - nobody ever called - or heard them called - Sting Rays back in the day................

I guess you must have just listened to classical music when you were a kid - missed out on all that "decadent rock and roll crap"?

Last edited by tuxnharley; 03-22-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:19 PM
crabman
Safety Car

You can find people that do just about anything Tux but that doesn't make them common. I have yet to hear anyone use the term Stingray to refer to their Corvette then or now. You say you do. Great. We don't share that experience. Maybe mine is not the norm. Time will tell what sticks but if they do get the name Stingray to take hold all they will have managed to do is cheapen it. IMO it was a mistake unless the rumored el cheapo Corvette is put on sale. Then the Stingray becomes like the GS. Not the desirable lustworthy Vette that gets all the press and kicks sand in the face of pretentious Eurotrash, but better than what will then become the base car.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:33 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

You can find people that do just about anything Tux but that doesn't make them common. I have yet to hear anyone use the term Stingray to refer to their Corvette then or now. You say you do. Great. We don't share that experience. Maybe mine is not the norm. Time will tell what sticks but if they do get the name Stingray to take hold all they will have managed to do is cheapen it. IMO it was a mistake unless the rumored el cheapo Corvette is put on sale. Then the Stingray becomes like the GS. Not the desirable lustworthy Vette that gets all the press and kicks sand in the face of pretentious Eurotrash, but better than what will then become the base car.
Well, my point was that those records were top 20 songs on pop radio and darn near every kid in the USA probably heard them at least once, so the term "Sting Ray" was pretty common.

I do agree with your second point though!

Old 03-22-2013, 12:52 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Why a Stingray...even on a base Corvette? Think about it....The C6 left us with 7 different models of Corvette. This is how the C6 Coupe and Convertible have now been transformed into a "base" Coupe or Convertible. With the debut of the C7 with only a Coupe and Convertible, maybe GM didn't want to have that "base" stigma, so they added the word Stingray.

Last edited by Supersonic 427; 03-22-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette- GM says Stingray/ you say (BASE)

Old 03-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Hemi Dave
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 212 Posts

All Stingrays are wide bodies according to Ed Welburn. Its wider than the C6.

Last edited by Hemi Dave; 03-22-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:07 PM
ldepalma
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Supersonic GS
Why a Stingray...even on a base Corvette? Think about it....The C6 left us with 7 different models of Corvette. This is how the C6 Coupe and Convertible have now been transformed into a "base" Coupe or Convertible. With the debut of the C7 with only a Coupe and Convertible, maybe GM didn't want to have that "base" stigma, so they added the word Stingray.
Well, "Base" is really only known in Vette speak. The average person has no clue. To them it's a Vette. I think GM got out of hand with the 7 models. Think about any other car manufacturer? No seven different models for sure.

I'll bet we see 1 additional HP model i.e. ZR1 or Z06 but not both IMO. I get the 427 C6 for the 60th anniversary. But did we really need a GS? They could of just left the Z51 package as an option on the base instead of only having it available on the GS.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by ldepalma
Well, "Base" is really only known in Vette speak. The average person has no clue. To them it's a Vette. I think GM got out of hand with the 7 models. Think about any other car manufacturer? No seven different models for sure.

I'll bet we see 1 additional HP model i.e. ZR1 or Z06 but not both IMO. I get the 427 C6 for the 60th anniversary. But did we really need a GS? They could of just left the Z51 package as an option on the base instead of only having it available on the GS.
I too, think that there will be a higher perfomance model and that it will be the ZR1. The Z51 opt. pkg would essentially be what the GS is now. Don't know if they need to make a mid level performance model as they will be most likely be adding more HP to the Coupe and Convertible models through the C7 cycle.

Quick Reply: Corvette- GM says Stingray/ you say (BASE)