Sponsored by:

Removing Weight From The C7/LT1...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 01:09 PM
HurricaneRN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by petermj
You know what Occam's Razor is? If you cannot fix the source of vibrations, you remove the part that causes them, you know, like they did with C6R. What are the actual fuel economy benefits on C7 vs. complexity and problems it adds? GM is not only lazy, it is also very stupid. C7 is a very aerodynamic shape, just like C6, once it rolls on the freeway at constant speed, it makes very little difference on how many cylinders it runs.

Glad you picked up a new buzzword in the other thread but im pretty sure logic/philosophy is lost on you entirely. The "razor"=simple>complex, common>rare, easy>hard etc...
so

AFM on a v8 that you know>developing a 500hp/30mpg boosted v6

Cheap steel that does its job perfect>driving cost up with needless engineering

keeping the price the same(adjusted for inflation) for 60 years>pricing your car out of the market you created because you over-engineer exotic materials when it does not make sense.

Believing you are chevrolet>thinking you are lamborghini

Knowing it didn't>hoping it cleared things up

Last edited by HurricaneRN; 03-25-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:12 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1analguy
Apologies, I edit my posts very slowly. Please see my previous post...

Tadge probably did the best he could with the requirements handed to him. I wish Kirk Bennion could make the same claim...
Do not apologize, LOL. And sometimes good enough is just not good enough, especially when it is unnecessary to begin with. If Tadge is indeed a smart guy, he should grow some ***** instead of playing along propagating counterproductive and outright dumb ideas.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:14 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=HurricaneRN;1583455765][QUOTE]Originally Posted by petermj
You know what Occam's Razor is? If you cannot fix the source of vibrations, you remove the part that causes them, you know, like they did with C6R. What are the actual fuel economy benefits on C7 vs. complexity and problems it adds? GM is not only lazy, it is also very stupid. C7 is a very aerodynamic shape, just like C6, once it rolls on the freeway at constant speed, it makes very little difference on how many cylinders it runs.

Glad you picked up a new buzzword in the other thread but im pretty sure logic/philosophy is lost on you entirely. The "razor"=simple>complex, common>rare, easy>hard etc...
so

AFM on a v8 that you know>developing a 500hp/30mpg boosted v6

Cheap steel that does its job perfect>driving cost up with needless engineering

keeping the price the same(adjusted for inflation) for 60 years>pricing your car out of the market you created because you over-engineer exotic materials when it does not make sense.

Believing you are chevrolet>thinking you are lamborghini

Knowing it didn't>hoping it cleared things up
LOL, yes, you cleared up everything.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:16 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kappa
When cars with unlimited budgets still aren't using this tech, it probably isn't ready.
If F1 had no rules, this would be true. I'm pretty sure composite blocks and heads are banned, just like active suspension, traction control, and stability management.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:47 PM
Bob Sandy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're correct. The engine materials are heavily rules controlled to avoid costly materials. But they were headed down a different road before this was the case, mostly metal matrix composites and Boron based materials....

LOVE the new C7
Bob
Old 03-25-2013, 02:35 PM
Blackdevil77
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Either Tadge is so dumb or so controlled by the forces above him.
I think it's the second one...
Old 03-25-2013, 07:33 PM
1analguy
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by yenko boy
Whats the big deal? This engine is only 30 pounds heavier then the ls3 and still much lighter then most of the competition.
The LT1 is now around 450 lbs (1 lb per horsepower). The LS3 was around 415 lbs which, if you do the math, was a bit better than the LT1. Throw the LS7 into the mix (440 lbs and 505 horsepower) and the LT1 looks even worse. Now, the LT1's added tech was necessary...and not at all without benefit, but you hate to see an engine getting heavier at a time when it really needs to be going in the other direction. Hell, it weighs as much as a 5.0L Coyote now...

Originally Posted by Kappa
When cars with unlimited budgets still aren't using this tech, it probably isn't ready.

I don't think you'll be seeing this on the LaFerrari, McLaren P1, or Porsche 918...
The Lamborghini Aventador is now capable of shutting down an entire bank of its 6.5L V12...though most potential owners can't even pronounce the words "fuel economy". Most of them would probably feel that it would add cost (who cares?) and weight/complexity for no perceived real-world gain. In that market, it's unlikely that AFM will proliferate, unless it becomes desirable/demanded by the potential customers. It might happen, though...lots of people (in all income strata) like to feel "green" about themselves, whether they actually are or not. How else could the high-carbon-footprint Prius be explained? Or the coal-powered Teslas and Datsun Leafs (Leaves?)...

Last edited by 1analguy; 03-27-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:23 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Corporate stupidity knows no limits. Assuming GM could actually make AFM really work, it belongs on vehicles with bad aerodynamics, like trucks and SUVs, where it is already being used. If you give it more thought, you will agree more, if you do not, I'll live Either Tadge is so dumb or so controlled by the forces above him, not sure how he can face himself on daily basis.
Start your own company...

You obviously know best

Best of luck
Old 03-25-2013, 09:26 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Start your own company...

You obviously know best

Best of luck
Sure glad this guy is not the one I have to listen to...or buy a car from.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,445 Likes on 2,271 Posts

True.

But he is marginally better than the dude that has himself apparently convinced that all of us here in C7 forum have somehow managed to deny him the option of awd and dct on what was clearly a "clean sheet" design, which not having such options is ab initio a complete fail.

I think I bolded all the right words and properly used the quotes. I've certainly seen it enough times (I believe quite literally dozens) that I should be able to do it by memory.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:26 PM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Better proposal for those concerned with the weight of their C6s and C7s.

Lay off the pastries for a while
Old 03-26-2013, 02:18 AM
1analguy
Pro

Originally Posted by Aaron Keating
Better proposal for those concerned with the weight of their C6s and C7s.

Lay off the pastries for a while
There's always that. Truth be told, I'm in the same boat as the LT1 right now...I'm about 30 lbs heavier than I'd like to be, too...

Seriously though, I understand completely why the engine weighs what it does...the car too, for that matter. I'm fine with both. I figure if it comes with wheels and tires on it, then I won't have to carry it around...so why should I care what it weighs? I posted the links and asked the "what about Holtzberg" question more in a "what if" frame of mind than to bash the car as is. The car's fine the way it is, mechanically speaking...

Last edited by 1analguy; 03-26-2013 at 02:26 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:20 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

There's always that. Truth be told, I'm in the same boat as the LT1 right now...I'm about 30 lbs heavier than I'd like to be, too...
According to Juechtner, weight was added to increase fuel economy, so much for your performance dreams. The guy in charge has different priorities.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:20 AM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Know the feeling man. I'm trying to drop 15lbs. I don't think it's going to happen until the warm weather hits and I can start cycling again. I'm told I look good for my weight and height, but I'm trying to shave abit of weight for driving purposes.

Ah well at least I'm building muscle so my assistless and rough riding C4 won't wear me out
Old 03-26-2013, 02:25 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Know the feeling man. I'm trying to drop 15lbs. I don't think it's going to happen until the warm weather hits and I can start cycling again. I'm told I look good for my weight and height, but I'm trying to shave abit of weight for driving purposes.

Ah well at least I'm building muscle so my assistless and rough riding C4 won't wear me out
Muscle is heavier than fat, it is a fact. Losing fat does not necessarily mean losing weight.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:28 AM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Muscle is heavier than fat, it is a fact. Losing fat does not necessarily mean losing weight.
There's water weight to consider too. There's also still abit of fat that needs to go too. If the snugness of my 30 jeans is any indication.
Muscle is heavier than fat, but I've a little way to go before I can say it's all muscle

I can cut 15lbs, I know I can. It's just a matter of whether or not I feel like putting myself through freezing my ***** off and cycling in the winter or not. (which won't have the same results as cycling in the summer months anyway)
Old 03-26-2013, 02:30 AM
1analguy
Pro

If I loose 30 lbs of fat, I'm prime. If I loose 30 lbs of muscle...wait...I don't have 30 lbs of muscle...

Get notified of new replies

To Removing Weight From The C7/LT1...

Old 03-26-2013, 02:31 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

There's water weight to consider too. There's also still abit of fat that needs to go too. If the snugness of my 30 jeans is any indication.
Muscle is heavier than fat, but I've a little way to go before I can say it's all muscle

I can cut 15lbs, I know I can. It's just a matter of whether or not I feel like putting myself through freezing my ***** off and cycling in the winter or not. (which won't have the same results as cycling in the summer months anyway)
If you let the hot air out, this should be a great first step
Old 03-26-2013, 02:35 AM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

If you let the hot air out, this should be a great first step
Old 03-26-2013, 02:38 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

weak and predictable, as usual

Quick Reply: Removing Weight From The C7/LT1...