Vert rain sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 10:11 AM
stevelischynsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Vert rain sensor

If you left the top down unattended, a rain sensor to automatically put the top up for you would be handy.

The link below would be ideal, just attach it to the stick shift

http://www.growersupply.com/rainsens...FQoFnQodKxUAgA

steve L
73 coupe since new
Old 03-27-2013, 10:14 AM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Stop! This car is already on the verge of being Kit from Knight Rider.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:14 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stevelischynsky
If you left the top down unattended, a rain sensor to automatically put the top up for you would be handy.

steve L
73 coupe since new
I never leave the top down unattended. It's one of the beautiful things about the power top. It is quick and easy to put the top up.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:27 AM
HurricaneRN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueOx
I never leave the top down unattended. It's one of the beautiful things about the power top. It is quick and easy to put the top up.
Yeah, and now with the fob, as you are walking away...
Old 03-27-2013, 10:47 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by HurricaneRN
Yeah, and now with the fob, as you are walking away...
Right!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:11 AM
Badluck33
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What part of the country do you live in?

I am on the fence about vert or coupe.

I'm in chicago and I'm not sure if the vert retains heat the same way a coupe does and on clear days with no snow or salt on ground, I'm driving. It could be Jan 1st.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:57 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by Badluck33
What part of the country do you live in?

I am on the fence about vert or coupe.

I'm in chicago and I'm not sure if the vert retains heat the same way a coupe does and on clear days with no snow or salt on ground, I'm driving. It could be Jan 1st.
Verts have come a long way. I still have a 1985 Dodge convertible, don't use it much, on a cold day when the heater stops heating the heat is gone right through the top (the car has a cold feel even after a reasonable time period). Today's vert, the headliner provides a barrier and heat is retained almost like a coupe. I liven in South Central Pennsylvania and I will purchase a new C7 convertible.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:11 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,184 Posts

I agree, there are too many A-Hs around to leave the car open. That said, 'tho - the manual top on the C6 could actually be raised faster than the power one (but not remotely)!

Old 03-27-2013, 12:19 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by tuxnharley
I agree, there are too many A-Hs around to leave the car open. That said, 'tho - the manual top on the C6 could actually be raised faster than the power one (but not remotely)!

I'll take the power top's 'slower' up and down if I don't have to stop, put it in park or neutral (and pull the ebrake), get out, manually open the tonneau, pull it up, get back into the car, and fasten the latch...especially if I need to do it in traffic!

I just close mine because of the aforementioned A-Hs. I've seen a teen hauk (sp?) a loogie into an open vert.

Last edited by BlueOx; 03-27-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:24 PM
tuxnharley
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,184 Posts

I'll take the power top's 'slower' up and down if I don't have to stop, put it in park or neutral (and pull the ebrake), get out, manually open the tonneau, pull it up, get back into the car, and fasten the latch...especially if I need to do it in traffic!
You've got a good point, for about 50% of the circumstances. IMHO, when stopping and parking the manual top is just as good, since I'm gonna be getting out of the car anyway! . I just don't want another complex system that might malfunction - and adds weight!

Old 03-27-2013, 12:35 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

You've got a good point, for about 50% of the circumstances. IMHO, when stopping and parking the manual top is just as good, since I'm gonna be getting out of the car anyway! . I just don't want another complex system that might malfunction - and adds weight!

I hear ya. Fortunately, if it does malfunction, it can be operated manually. You can open the tonneau manually and then loosen a nut with the allen wrench it comes with so the top can then be raised or lowered.

In the years I have owned mine, and the many, many times I've operated the top, I've never had a problem. But if I do have a problem, I know how to get it back up and latched.

I ALWAYS put the top up when I put it in the driveway as there are cats in the neighborhood that have been known to get into the interior if I don't close it. And since I hate cats, and don't want to be sued for killing someone's pet, I thought getting into the habit of closing it made more sense!

I always put it up in the garage too! It keeps the interior dust down.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:13 PM
Joe aka - KODAK
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevelischynsky

steve L
73 coupe since new

Nothing directed towards you, but it seems pretty damn lazy if you can't push a button to put it up before you leave the car. I think it would take about 5 seconds to think about pushing it and then push it.

It would be just another electronic BS item you really don't need that could break - this would also be headed towards a BMW, just way to much electronic gizmo's

Last edited by Joe aka - KODAK; 03-27-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:19 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Originally Posted by Joe aka - KODAK
I don't own a Vert, but it seems pretty damn lazy if you can't push a button to put it up before you leave the car. I think it would take about 5 seconds
It's about 18 sec.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:13 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

I just close mine because of the aforementioned A-Hs. I've seen a teen hauk (sp?) a loogie into an open vert.
Not to mention the odd lit cigarette.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:15 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Oh well ........... On the C7 you don't have a choice. No manual top.

Get notified of new replies

To Vert rain sensor

Quick Reply: Vert rain sensor