C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can U ask Bash Execs: When will DCT and AWD be OPTIONS? Why not now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 12:27 AM
427 C5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can U ask Bash Execs: When will DCT and AWD be OPTIONS? Why not now?

Can people that are at the Bash ask the decision makers:

When will Dual Clutch Transmissions and All Wheel Drive be available as OPTIONS on the Corvette.

Why weren't DCT and AWD available at launch?

Obviously, I'd prefer someone who was pro-AWD and pro-DCT to be the one asking and probing for details in order to get the real info.

And PLEASE, push for a the REAL answers with details. Even if it's "off the record".
I say this because I have asked Corvette engineers questions before and history has proven that they lied straight to my face. And, they continued the charade even after I POLITELY told them I found what they were telling me was hard to believe.

I'm not trying to start a war in this thread.
If I had a straight answers from GM, it would be a lot easier for me to accept the current lack of both options, and I assume for some others as well.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:35 AM
SD1
Burning Brakes

Received 343 Likes on 170 Posts

You can buy a Porsche, audi, or Lamborghini hell I think even Ferrari is offering the combo if that is important to you.

I do agree that DCT or some dual clutch trans is not only legitimate but should be avail. You can get one in a volkswagen for 25K for gawds sake.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:40 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I was there today and asked those very questions. The reply I got was that AWD was for Porsche owners and women and didn't fit the Corvette demographic let alone history. As for DCT, they said it was not needed and would add cost and weight which would defeat anything beneficial. They said that the only people clamoring for DCT are Nissan GTR owners and or people who want a mid engine 4 seat AWD car who again didn't fit the demographic.

Oh, I also forgot... Regarding AWD, they said it might be feasible to expect it around the time that the C12 comes out because according to the newly published Mayan calendar, Hell is supposed to freeze over right around that time which might signal the next ice age. This likely will necessate the need for AWD in the Corvette for it to remain viable as even us people that hail from So. Cal may have to deal with snow along our coast. Until that time, don't expect AWD in the Corvette according to what I was told.

Last edited by slief; 04-26-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:50 AM
SD1
Burning Brakes

They will never do stuff like that, and many other notable features offered on similar cars because Vette buyers are pretty notorious for buying ANYTHING bowling green rolls out the factory door and is stamped USA. Nothing wrong with that, but they are a for profit biz and Vette owners do not demand it.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:55 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by slief
As for DCT, they said it was not needed and would add cost and weight which would defeat anything beneficial. They said that the only people clamoring for DCT are Nissan GTR owners and or people who want a mid engine 4 seat AWD car who again didn't fit the demographic.
As for DCT, they said it was not needed (this is not true) and would add cost and weight (this is true) which would defeat anything beneficial (this is a lie).

They said that the only people clamoring for DCT are Nissan GTR owners and or people who want a mid engine 4 seat AWD car who again didn't fit the demographic (this is disappointing because the current demographic are people who's second car is a golf cart).

Basically, it looks like every other sportscar maker in the world will have DCT and GM will stick with it's tried and true slush box -- to save money.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:07 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by SD1
They will never do stuff like that, and many other notable features offered on similar cars because Vette buyers are pretty notorious for buying ANYTHING bowling green rolls out the factory door and is stamped USA. Nothing wrong with that, but they are a for profit biz and Vette owners do not demand it.

I love when noobs come in here and spout crap that they don't know
Old 04-26-2013, 01:09 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JustinStrife

Speaking of crap.. What happened to Petermj?? He's been silent here of late unless he's one of these noobs..

Last edited by slief; 04-26-2013 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:09 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

I was there today and asked those very questions. The reply I got was that AWD was for Porsche owners and women and didn't fit the Corvette demographic let alone history. As for DCT, they said it was not needed and would add cost and weight which would defeat anything beneficial. They said that the only people clamoring for DCT are Nissan GTR owners and or people who want a mid engine 4 seat AWD car who again didn't fit the demographic.

Oh, I also forgot... Regarding AWD, they said it might be feasible to expect it around the time that the C12 comes out because according to the newly published Mayan calendar, Hell is supposed to freeze over right around that time which might signal the next ice age. This likely will necessate the need for AWD in the Corvette for it to remain viable as even us people that hail from So. Cal may have to deal with snow along our coast. Until that time, don't expect AWD in the Corvette according to what I was told.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:14 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I want to know when they're going to release a Corvette with the optional microwave oven and espresso machine too?!
I'm still waiting, WHEN damn it?!!!

Old 04-26-2013, 01:15 AM
jamesw95
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

DCT and AWD already available in a GT R and round tail lights to boot. Corvettes have made their case by being simple and inexpensive compared to the competition.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:23 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I want to know when they're going to release a Corvette with the optional microwave oven and espresso machine too?!
I'm still waiting, WHEN damn it?!!!

Relax, I have it on good source that on the base 2016 the Kuerig coffee maker will be available on 1LT at as $500 option. It will be standard on 2LT and 3LT. The microwave will be available as a $1,200 option on all trims, but unforunately not available on Z51 cars equipped with MSR, something to do with the microwaves interfering with the fluid dynamics. They will be installed in the cubby behind the Nav. screen.

But there are no plans for AWD or DCT at this time, due to lack of interest.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:24 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Speaking of crap.. What happened to Petermj?? He's been silent here of late unless he's one of these noobs..
Probably polishing those tail lights on his C6(if you've never seen them before, you're lucky, they are the worst tail lights I've ever seen on a Corvette).
Old 04-26-2013, 01:28 AM
slief
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Probably polishing those tail lights on his C6(if you've never seen them before, you're lucky, they are the worst tail lights I've ever seen on a Corvette).
Notice my Avatar! Those eyes on Beaker were photoshopped off the rear of his car! I am so tempted to post a pic of that car!!!
Old 04-26-2013, 01:35 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Notice my Avatar! Those eyes on Beaker were photoshopped off the rear of his car! I am so tempted to post a pic of that car!!!
Please don't! My eyes still hurt from the one time I did see it.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:38 AM
SD1
Burning Brakes

I do know rookie. I have been on this forum a lot longer than you have. I just dont live here.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:25 AM
JustinStrife
Team Owner

Last time I posted that picture, the mods deleted my post as well as Pete's response.

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Please don't! My eyes still hurt from the one time I did see it.
It is a painful image isn't it? And he has the gall to rag on GM for the rear end's design.

Originally Posted by SD1
I do know rookie. I have been on this forum a lot longer than you have. I just dont live here.
Sure you have. You just decide to make a screen name only now? Been lurking for years? How do you know I haven't been lurked on this forum for years before I joined?

Do tell noob.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:02 AM
427 C5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SD1

I am a Corvette owner....... of multiple Corvettes.
And I am demanding AWD, or at least DCT, before I buy any more Corvettes.

Can the mods weigh in here after this thread has been ruined by the usual trolls ????

Get notified of new replies

To Can U ask Bash Execs: When will DCT and AWD be OPTIONS? Why not now?

Old 04-26-2013, 03:15 AM
Jinx
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 207 Posts

This thread is full of win.

Answer to the OP: GM does not comment on future product.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:16 AM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Good, maybe and I mean MAYBE, this will end the incessant whining about DCT, AWD.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:20 AM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by 427 C5
I am a Corvette owner....... of multiple Corvettes.
And I am demanding AWD, or at least DCT, before I buy any more Corvettes.

Can the mods weigh in here after this thread has been ruined by the usual trolls ????
Well, I guess your getting your answer. NO CORVETTE FOR YOU! NEXT!

Quick Reply: Can U ask Bash Execs: When will DCT and AWD be OPTIONS? Why not now?