C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will You Be Able To Turn Off Displacement on Demand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 09:33 AM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Will You Be Able To Turn Off Displacement on Demand?

This is the one feature GM has been quiet about and it kinda worries me a bit.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:37 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

If you are referring to AFM then GM said it is only "on" when in Eco mode. Touring, sport and track modes turn off the cylinder deactivation. I believe RC reported this after the Bash.

Therefore, it is essentially irrelevant unless you want to drive around in Eco mode.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Kappa
Melting Slicks

Received 530 Likes on 234 Posts

Nope the C7 is in 4 cylinder mode until 6000rpm. Your worst fears are confirmed. Now you can find something else to question the C7 team about.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:46 AM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Government Motors can use satellites to take away your displacement... be afraid, be very afraid

Last edited by LT1_E85_Corvette; 05-01-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:52 AM
gthal
Safety Car

Received 1,170 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by Kappa
Nope the C7 is in 4 cylinder mode until 6000rpm. Your worst fears are confirmed. Now you can find something else to question the C7 team about.
Originally Posted by LS3_E85_Corvette
Government Motors case use satellites to take away your displacement... be afraid, be very afraid
You guys had way more interesting replies than mine
Old 05-01-2013, 09:54 AM
ArcticC7
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
If you are referring to AFM then GM said it is only "on" when in Eco mode. Touring, sport and track modes turn off the cylinder deactivation. I believe RC reported this after the Bash.

Therefore, it is essentially irrelevant unless you want to drive around in Eco mode.
Oh this is good then as long as it can be turned off.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:05 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

On the G8s at least it could be tuned out permanently. I figure this will be the case of the LT1 once the tune is cracked. Otherwise, on the G8 I think you have to put the shifter in sport mode every time you start the car. Figure the new corvette will start out with it enabled by default everytime you start it?
Old 05-01-2013, 10:09 AM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
On the G8s at least it could be tuned out permanently. I figure this will be the case of the LT1 once the tune is cracked. Otherwise, on the G8 I think you have to put the shifter in sport mode every time you start the car. Figure the new corvette will start out with it enabled by default everytime you start it?
I'll bet that the last setting is retained, just like seat settings. Since the various parameters are user-configurable, it doesn't make sense not to retain them.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:16 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

I'll bet that it defaults to being on when the car is started. You have to remember that this is how they get their EPA fuel economy ratings which contribute to the CAFE ratings. There are strict guidelines on how anything that effects the CAFE rating is implemented.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:16 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

RC reported that it defaults to the Touring setting which does not have AFM.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal

I believe this is the correct answer.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:35 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Default Some Wrong Info Above

Fact, per Tadge Juetcher and Harlan Charles at the Bash, you can select, via the driver selector mode, e.g., sport and track modes which do not have AFM component, and you can also "latch" other choices via the driver information center to avoid the AFM mode -- and latched information stays the operating/default mode, even when the vehicle is turned off and the re-started.

However, have those who are complaining about AFM even driven a current vehicle which has it? I just drove my buddies' 2012 Ram with a Hemi which has AFM, and other than the little symbol coming up on the instrument cluster telling me when it went into four cylinder mode, I tried but could not tell when the motor went into four cylinder mode.

Oh yes, more complaining about stuff we have prejudices about, but haven't tried, and certainly haven't tried on the C7. Why don't we complain about upcoming "problems", as many did on this forum, such as the previously wrong info in a major car magazine that the C7 will start at $60k.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:42 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

my neighbor who has a GM truck with this "feature" says his truck hardly ever goes into ECO mode unless he is cruising down the highway at 70 or 80

He is a retired GM guy in his 70's and buys a new truck every year says this one drives like all the rest. I drove it twice and I couldn't tell you if I experienced ECO mode or not but I didn't see any lights come on or any change in performance at any point.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Glenmcp
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 574 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Fact, per Tadge Juetcher and Harlan Charles at the Bash, you can select, via the driver selector mode, e.g., sport and track modes which do not have AFM component, and you can also "latch" other choices via the driver information center to avoid the AFM mode -- and latched information stays the operating/default mode, even when the vehicle is turned off and the re-started.

However, have those who are complaining about AFM even driven a current vehicle which has it? I just drove my buddies' 2012 Ram with a Hemi which has AFM, and other than the little symbol coming up on the instrument cluster telling me when it went into four cylinder mode, I tried but could not tell when the motor went into four cylinder mode.

Oh yes, more complaining about stuff we have prejudices about, but haven't tried, and certainly haven't tried on the C7. Why don't we complain about upcoming "problems", as many did on this forum, such as the previously wrong info in a major car magazine that the C7 will start at $60k.
So, you want fact over guess work. What a concept.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:26 AM
jim2092
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 298 Likes on 165 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

"They are all configurable individually, or as one! So, the mode switch can change suspension, cluster and hud all as one, or you can have weather mode on, with touring cluster and track mode hud.

And....it doesnt default to ECONO MODE...DOES NOT! you can essentially turn off afm and never hear from it again!. The word I got was that the car defaults to touring mode, which doesnt use AFM. You need to choose to use the afm."

The above is copied from RC000E thread on his complete Bash information.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS3_E85_Corvette
Government Motors can use satellites to take away your displacement... be afraid, be very afraid

No more running from the po po
Old 05-01-2013, 02:14 PM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant

Actually my understanding is it is very simply to turn it off. Step on the gas and all cylinders will fire.
Otherwise, I would be happy to set cruise control at 70 mph and get better gas mileage.

Get notified of new replies

To Will You Be Able To Turn Off Displacement on Demand?

Old 05-01-2013, 03:11 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

The only time it will come in to play is when you are in ECO mode on the Driver's mode selector switch. Stay out of ECO and you will not have to concern yourself with the cylinder deactivation.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:20 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is very good information. So now I officially have no gripes about the C7, as this was my only one. Very good. Time to start selling crack.

-Alex
Old 05-01-2013, 03:25 PM
ed1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by msm859
Actually my understanding is it is very simply to turn it off. Step on the gas and all cylinders will fire.
Otherwise, I would be happy to set cruise control at 70 mph and get better gas mileage.
And that is why it there!!! I'm not sure why people are complaining about getting better MPG's when rolling down the highway with the cruise set.

Quick Reply: Will You Be Able To Turn Off Displacement on Demand?